Start by marking “Song of the Crow” as Want to Read:
Song of the Crow

Song of the Crow

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From the moment that he looks down on the ancient gray head of Noah, who is swinging his stone axe, the narrating crow in this unique and remarkable epic knows that these creators called Man are trouble. He senses, too, that the natural order of things is about to change.

At a time when so many of us are searching for meaning, Layne Maheu’s debut novel lingers in a masterfu
Published June 3rd 2007 by Unbridled Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Song of the Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of the Crow

Marvin
Aug 04, 2009 Marvin rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
A peculiar book--sort of the story of Noah & the Ark as narrated by a crow who stows away on the ark (not as one selected to be there). This is one of those books that might just be marvelous, but I just didn't get it. It's written almost like poetry, and, like most poetry, I didn't know what the author was trying to say much of the time. It just didn't work for me.
Tricia
Apr 14, 2009 Tricia rated it it was ok
Booksense (now IndieBound) listed it as one of their recommended books. I was interested in it for a couple of reasons, 1) the biblical theme of the flood story no less and 2) the narrator being a crow. Does that qualify as spoilers? If you don't know what happened with Noah, the ark and flood, read no further!

The book is really beautifully written. It's just it's not my kind of beautiful. The prose is more poetic than narrative much of the time and I'm sure the descriptions of the flora and fau
Kristi Brown
Mar 29, 2009 Kristi Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!

Song of the Crow by Layne Maheu is an absolutely poetic and masterfully crafted novel. Song of the Crow retells the biblical story of Noah’s Ark through the eyes of a crow. Now seriously, I loved this book so much I’ve read it two and a half times! How so? Each chapter begins with a quote – these quotes alone make this an enchanting read and combined with a poetically crafted story I could not put it down.

Can you have a crush on a book? If so, then I have one on this book! And
Michael Craft
Mar 23, 2015 Michael Craft rated it really liked it
This story is told with amazing imagination.
Leah
Mar 08, 2009 Leah rated it liked it
This is an interesting premise of a book. It is a look at the Old Testament story of Noah building his ark, from the perspective of a baby crow. It's not exactly a page turner, but it is unique and well-written and I'm looking forward to seeing where Maheu goes with the whole concept.

Also looking at crows in a whole new light these days...
Jay
Feb 13, 2013 Jay rated it it was amazing
beautiful and mystical telling of the flood story from the perspective of a bird. The author draws on a lot of jewish midrash and creates a perception of the God's actions that inspire awe, wonder and frustration. made me re-enter the tension of natural destruction and theology with different eyes.
Carol Johnson
Beautifully written book....more poetry than novel. Interesting perspective....the story of Noah from the viewpoint of a crow. The writing was delicious but the story got a little tiresome at times.
Ren
Jun 28, 2011 Ren rated it it was amazing
I do not expect this book will draw many readers for its plot, as "biblical fiction from an animal's perspective" isn't at the top of the genre list. However, the prose is positively beautiful.
Jaime
I thought this book was really weird. It was told in first person by a crow who was stalking Noah. That's right, Noah, the guy who built the ark.
Carrie
Aug 01, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok
Even though I thought this book was rediculous while I was reading it, I have never thought of crows or birds in the same way again!!
Lu
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read
Shelves: biblical
Story of Noah from the viewpoint of a bird
Beatrice
Apr 04, 2009 Beatrice rated it it was amazing
Beautiful writing, wonderfully imagined.
Lori
Jun 11, 2011 Lori marked it as to-read
25 cent download from Unbridled Books
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Fernleaf
Fernleaf rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2016
Bobbie N
Bobbie N rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Linda Stuckey
Linda Stuckey rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Safiye
Safiye marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Ciril Neukom
Ciril Neukom marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Jill Wellman
Jill Wellman marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Laura Elisabeth
Laura Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Margaret Rhode
Margaret Rhode rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Crow Bait
Crow Bait marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015