Start by marking “Defining Moments in Books: The Greatest Books, Writers, Characters, Passages and Events that Shook the Literary World” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Written and selected by a range of international writers, academics, and critics, here’s an instantly accessible and intelligent look at literary history and criticism over the past century. From key novels to memorable protagonists, admired authors to pivotal books both banned and beloved, this compilation features an expert selection of events, awards, scandals, and sacr ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Cassell Illustrated (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Defining Moments in Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defining Moments in Books

Simon
Jul 08, 2011 Simon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Book lovers
Elizabeth
I read parts of this book over a three week period (ah, libraries...). I was NOT feeling the organization of this book but enjoyed much of what I read. Reader's will love the bits of information and trivia about all things literary. The index was AMAZING and useful since I only managed to read parts of "Defining Moments in Books..."
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Actually I would rate it as 3 1/2 stars. If you like trivia about authors, books, and characters... and their significance in history this books is for you. It's in chronological order and is in 1/2 page reviews. Theres also pictures, so it's really easy to pick up and thumb through.
Syaihan Syafiq
bought this book at the Penang's BBW and flip it through for like 2 seconds before deciding to buy it. worth every twelve bucks that i spent though. its full of stuff and appreciation for books and writers. a must have for every writers and book enthusiasts.
Robby
This book has numerous,memorable to fantastic,photographs. In addition,there are enough tid-bits of information to keep any bibliophile turning pages. All said; a great reference book or coffee table book or door stop or ... .
Dave
A fun reference book covering 1890-2006. The editors questionable, but interesting, choices for greatest books, writers, characters, passages and literary events. For browsing, not reading cover to cover.
Claire
I got this for Christmas and oh my did it bring me SO much joy. It will be so helpful and interesting over the years. Fantastic gift!!
Patricia Kurz
It's cute; interesting; a nice, quick reference of "great" books. It's one to peruse. I didn't read it cover to cover
Bev
Very interesting look at a century of literature: books, writers, characters, passages, themes and events.
Christina
A friend gave this to me- the ultimate coffee table book- it's basically now my "to-read" guru.
Miss Adventures In The Dating World™
what I learned?...defining moments in books...
Mary
Use for reference
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Hameed Khan
Hameed Khan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Ccmoore
Ccmoore marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Pratap
Pratap marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Ioana
Ioana marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Hanna G.
Hanna G. marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Indu Muralidharan
Indu Muralidharan marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Melur
Melur marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature
  • Curiosities of Literature
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • Why Not Catch-21?: The Stories Behind the Titles
  • More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Buried in Books: A Reader's Anthology
  • Read, Remember, Recommend (A Reading Journal for Book Lovers)
  • Ninety-Nine Novels: The Best in English Since 1939
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Gertrude Stein Science: Grade 6 (New York Edition) Glencoe Life Science Life Science: Merrill Life Science