Start by marking “The Miracle Worker” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  29,135 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
Mass Market Paperback, 128 pages
Published June 25th 2002 by Pocket (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Miracle Worker, please sign up.

Ellen Karnowski This book is a play illustrating the life of Helen Keller, a deaf and mute young girl, whose family hires Anne Sullivan to teach her to communicate.

Deanna
Jun 08, 2016 Deanna rated it it was amazing
"No One Could Reach Her"

I went to this play and read this book when I was in grade 4. It had a huge impact on me. It was all I could talk about for weeks. I wanted to go see it again and again. It will always be one of my favorite plays. Another friend just posted a review of Helen Keller's autobiography and I look forward to reading that one too. I would love to see this play with my daughter.

I remember watching as Helen got so upset when she couldn't express herself and fought those who tried
Sean
Feb 09, 2016 Sean rated it liked it
This was a fun read but it could be dry and reading it as a script from a play was a little strange for me.
Meg
Nov 30, 2008 Meg rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite plays... the story of Anne Sullivan breaking through the darkness and silence of Helen Keller's world to teach her the very concept of language. It reads incredibly well, but if you must see it in action, check out the classic film version with Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke and absolutely DO NOT WATCH THE REMAKE. It is craptacular to the extreme. I just finished a run at the Hale Center Theater in Orem playing Helen Keller's mother Kate and it positively changed my life forever ...more
Νατάσσα
Apr 11, 2017 Νατάσσα rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-r-a-ce-2017, 2017
Το είχα δει στο θέατρο πριν μερικά χρόνια, έπεσε τυχαία στα χέρια μου το βιβλιαράκι. Τρομερά συγκινητική, βαθειά ανθρώπινη ιστορία.
Lori
May 10, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, play
I read this years ago. I have always been interested in Helen Keller's life. I find her to be a remarkable lady. "The Miracle Worker" is a play. a well known one that still has productions today. it is about Helen when she is six years old. blind and deaf and acts like a "wild child" Annie Sullivan is hired to teach her. over the month she tries to teach Helen language throughfinger spelling. Helen must also learn manners and to behave in a more acceptable way. a tall order for Annie Sullivan wh ...more
Patricia
Sep 25, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Patricia by: probably a librarian
if annie sullivan and helen keller can do what they did.....well, stop complaining.
Valerie
My paternal grandmother lived in Kansas City in the early 20th century. The music halls in Kansas City were cheap and accessible in those days, and many widely-known figures would come to play in Kansas City.

Helen Keller was one of those players. My grandmother said that Helen had to have an interpreter present on stage, not only to convey questions to her, but to interpret her spoken words, since Helen never really mastered speaking well enough to be understood by strangers. At the times my gr
Slayermel
This is the story of Helen Keller who was born a healthy little girl, but after falling ill with a childhood ailment she becomes Blind, Deaf and Mute. I found the story very touching, especially as someone who works with children. The Keller family hires Annie Sullivan to come and help teach Helen, and they are surprised to find Annie herself suffered from Blindness and is only 20 years old. Annie had her work cut out for her as Helen had been so spoiled and lacked all forms of discipline as the ...more
Bettie☯
The Miracle Worker by William Gibson

film only
pub 1956
autumn 2012
play dramatisation

The film, starring Anne Bancroft came out in 1962. Forty years on, those methods would not be allowed.
The full film is on YouTube: http://youtu.be/556xz3Mw7rw

Richard
This play brings back a lot of memories for me. I acted in a production of it in high school. I played a bit part, spoke a single line, and was on stage for one scene. But it was a big thrill to be involved in it, and gave me a love of acting which persists to this day.
Haley
Well, it's kind of biography and kind of historical but it is SUPER good!! I really liked it!! I recommend this one to everyone!!! A must read!
Jack Gattanella
Apr 04, 2017 Jack Gattanella rated it really liked it
I read this in middle school and I remember liking it, though in retrospect I wonder if I was emotionally intelligent/mature enough to be invested in it like I could be today.

oh hey William Gibson!
Shailyn Stuckey
Apr 20, 2017 Shailyn Stuckey rated it it was amazing
Had to read this for school. Happy to say I enjoyed it.
Brett
Mar 14, 2017 Brett rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
Very good.
Maureen
I don't know why I'm just getting around to listing this on Good Reads and setting out a mini-review, but alas.

This is my third or fourth go-round with William Gibson's The Miracle Worker. I'll be directing it this fall at my school, and so with any play comes the inevitable multiple-readings; this weekend was my "Design Read," where my focus is redirected from the character, plot, language, and meaning of the show to the practical needs and abstract ideas for a production (where does this tabl
Clinton
Aug 16, 2010 Clinton rated it it was ok

The Miracle Worker was one of those plays intended to reach out to the readers' hearts. The story is of Helen Keller, one of the most iconic figures throughout the world, and her struggle with Annie Sullivan to gain understanding of the world around her.

It portrays a crude glimpse at what Helen's life, and the life of those around her, had in store. Crafted from historical fiction, The Miracle Worker shows how each relation to Helen was "broken" in some way, and how Helen seemed to be the center

Madelyn Rose
One thing I would just like to bring up-- this is a play. I was not expecting that. This was a lovely play though. I don't really read a ton of plays because I find them hard to follow, but this one was good. I was actually able to follow and trace the events. But it was a bit difficult in certain times to try to REALLY understand what was going on. It would be cool if they could turn this play into an actual book format (of course keeping the original play).

The play was about Helen Keller when
Ashlyn
Jan 27, 2012 Ashlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-owned
Hannah bubana S.713
So I'm performing this play, and one day I just sat down and read this book cover to cover. WOW. It's such an elegant, witty, heart breaking show. So many interesting characters, every word of dialouge spoken in this play has a good reason behind it. One of the best plays ever written, although I haven't read many plays, so don't trust my judgement on the best plays ever. But I'm pretty sure that's what any playwrite would say it was one of the best American plays anyway. It's interesting readin ...more
Lola
I have seen the movie version of this play, and the play wasn't that different. I always find it a little difficult to read plays, but I liked this one. My only problem is that it ends at Helen and Anne at the pump and how Helen learns that words have meaning. I would've liked it to be extended a little bit longer. I'd recommend the movie if you don't like reading plays.
Christina Singh
Mar 02, 2015 Christina Singh rated it it was amazing
One of the best plays I've ever read. Very emotional and well played out. The scenes were very detailed so it was easy to follow. The story of Hellen Keller and Anne Sullivan is truly amazing and inspirational. Reading this play makes me want to see it performed live more than anything.
Sean Meade
I think it would be hard in this day and age to find three adults who could agree to actual discipline like Annie, Kate and the Captain basically had to in this story (and presumably in real life) to ultimately free Helen from her 'cage'.
J.M.
Dec 30, 2013 J.M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama, borrowed
Basically flawless. Touching drama-- pun intended-- with a profound message about the power of language. I admit I got a little choked up at the end.

If you haven't seen or read this yet... what are you waiting for?
Tmimhoff
Feb 17, 2010 Tmimhoff rated it really liked it
I really like this book. I really loved the ending, it was precious!!!
Katie Rodemich
Jul 29, 2013 Katie Rodemich rated it it was amazing
It's a classic!
Carly
Sep 28, 2016 Carly rated it really liked it
"The unforgettable, inspiring story of Helen Keller- and the woman who set her free."

Wonderful play, enjoyed every minute of reading it.
E E
Feb 15, 2010 E E rated it really liked it
i dont like this book
Teya
Oct 04, 2010 Teya rated it it was amazing
I liked it more than I expected. We had to read it for school, but I ended up reading ahead of my class to finish over the weekend.
CarolAnn
Oct 08, 2007 CarolAnn rated it liked it
As a mother with a child with disabilites this was difficult to read. It hit too close to home.
Tessa
Sep 09, 2007 Tessa rated it liked it
this book was..... pretty good. but not the gratest. You definetly got the story though of Helen Keller. The book is writen as a play but has some real charecter.
Around the Year i...: The Miracle Worker, by William Gibson 1 11 Sep 18, 2016 07:29PM
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • New Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • The Holy Barbarians

William Gibson was a Tony Award-winning American playwright and novelist. He graduated from the City College of New York in 1938.

Gibson's most famous play is The Miracle Worker (1959), the story of Helen Keller's childhood education, which won him the Tony Award for Best Pla
More about William Gibson...

“When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.” 4 likes
“She is like a little safe, locked, that no one can open. Perhaps there is a treasure inside.” 3 likes