The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide To Men:  Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, Or Dead (Sweet Potato Queens')

The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide To Men: Every Man I Love Is Either Married, Gay, Or Dead (Sweet Potato Queens')

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  1,674 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The Sweet Potato Queens like men. They like them so much that they have devoted an absolutely inordinate amount of time to the pursuit of men, marriage, and great sex. And then, when that doesn t work out, they've devoted an inordinate amount of time to divorce, gittin another one and having great sex with him instead. THE SWEET POTATO QUEENS' FIELD GUIDE TO MEN is the Que...more
Audio CD
Published October 19th 2004 by Books on Tape (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide To Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide To Men

Eva
Men have finally been analyzed and qualified in this laugh-out-loud funny book. Men are not from Mars and women from Venus. Men are spuds and women are yams. Jill carefully describes each type of spud so you can identify them when you come across them. From the Dud Spud to the Spud Stud, they are all here, with anecdotes from the Sweet Potato Queens who have dated them and, sometimes, accidentally married one.

I read choice sections aloud to my own Spud, who howled at the descriptions and antics....more
Louann
HILARIOUS!!!! I had the CD and laughed all the way down the road. She gets a little...ahem...risque in parts but it is all good-natured. I will def be getting all her books now. I highly recommend the CD as she reads and has a wonderful southern drawl that makes the book all the more enjoyable. I heard a comment in here that I had not heard since my childhood in small town Texas: Yank a knot in your ass (or tail). LOL!!
Tabby Kat
Browne's fourth training manual for belles gone bad is a Southern-fried delight. It's ostensibly a guide to men, but it doesn't take long for the book's focus to return to the care, feeding, maintenance and revenge secrets of the SPQs. Men (or "spuds") are classified in categories including the platonic "Bud Spud," the beautiful-but-dense "Scud Spud," the shouldn't-wear-bikinis "Pud Spud" and the elusive "Spud Spud" (aka "Mr. Right" or "The One"). Browne is at her laugh-till-it-hurts best detail...more
Lana.
A quick read with plenty of cheap laughs, The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men definitely made bus rides a little more tolerable. But one has to get through / overlook some rather bad puns regarding "Spuds" (men) and "Yams" (women) and other saccharine terms of endearment.

Similar to "He's Just Not That Into You", "The Guide to Men" has some fairly good advice along the "Don't bother obsessing, just concentrate on having fun and being absolutely fabulous" variety. All mixed with a "girl p...more
L.
A bit like the last book and quite cliche but funny. I am not one for reducing the opposite sex into neat categories, unless I am drunk with my knitting buddies. I agree that there are men who need killing and most men do not understand the purpose of a hamper. A few days ago a few friends and I went on a tear about wet towels on the bed. The author should have put a caveat that these annoying behaviors show up during the teenage years and if you don't stop it early the damage will be irreversib...more
Cheryl
This book was a little raunchier than I was expecting, although it was quite funny. Made for a nice light and quick read when that was all I could manage. Could have done without the heavy-handed application of the "f" word, but otherwise enjoyed the little tales of how difficult men can be and how best to get, or get rid of, or get even with, said men.
Pat Walker
I have known a few SPQs. A delightful and quick romp; but a little raw to recommended to many of my friends.
Khile
How can I not love this book when Jill included one of my OWN dating episodes? (And, no, I won't share which one of the chapters is mine!!)
Patrice
A friend loaned me this book, which I accepted with skepticism. I'm not a fan of the women-ripping-on-men genre, and much of what passes as literary humor these days fails to move me (unless you count eye-rolls). SPQ's Field Guide To Men starts out slow and I feared the worst. Thankfully, I kept reading because it is HILARIOUS! I earned some askance looks on the bus ride to work, shaking with laughter that I tried (somewhat unsuccessfully) to keep silent. The other riders probably wondered if I...more
Jenny
This was so incredibly hilarious, I must've looked like a lunatic lmao in the middle of bumper-to-bumper rush-hour traffic, but it was a definite good choice since I was lmao instead of being irritated to high heaven by the traffic.

Also, the audio-book version I had was read by Jill herself, so it gave it an extra special umph to hear it told in her accent and with her own inflection to it.

It really felt like sitting down and having a chat with a wiser, honest, and really old friend that has k...more
Megan M
This is Browne's fourth self-help/advice/humor book for women. This one (like most others) deals with men. Browne tells you the five men that you must have in your life (things she's touched on previously), more crap about the blowjob Promise (this just doesn't die), stuff on why your interested date doesn't seemed too interested in you and how to get him back. Really it's all stuff she's talked about before in the three previous books she's written. That doesn't mean this book was humorous. It...more
Julia
Hilarious and so true. I got this as an audiobook from the library for my 45 minute commute to and from work and finished it in a couple of days. It causes belly-aching laughter and weird looks by oncoming traffic wondering why you are grinning ear to ear riding down the road by yourself. This is truly a perfect gift for a girl going away to college to get the true information on the different "spuds" out there and the ones to stay away from. Loved it and can't wait to listen to other Sweet Pota...more
May 12, 2007 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mouthy broads
I am apparently some sort of charter member of the Sweet Potato Queens, an international collection of fabulous outspoken women. The Head Boss Queen, Jill Connor Browne, has written five or six great books on a variety of subjects - this one's is, obviously, men. You know that old saying, "Men: can't live with `em, can't live without `em"? Well, Jill and her Queens tell you how to do both with a lot of humor and attitude.
Staci Magnolia
I picked this one up on the sale rack at Borders during a time when I needed some female empowerment in the male department. If you're looking for a humorous how-to and how-not-to snag your perfect "spud" this is the ideal text.
Since it had been sitting in my beach bag without much use, and given the fact I believe I have found my own perfect spud, I think I shan't have use for it any longer......
Sandy
Sweet Potato Queens, a funny, witty, group of ladies who made themselves Queens in their home state of Mississippi offer their advice about men in this followup to their introduction in their Book of Love. It was a great read and fun throughout and I am sorry it took me so long to read this book :( I was missing out!!
Myra
Normally, I love the SPQ books. However, this one sort of dragged on, and I found myself just not as interested as I usually am. Don't get me wrong, the book is still full of the normal witticisms and trashy humor that are trademarks of the author - it just wasn't as good as the first three SPQ books that I've read.

Linda
The first 50 pages were a little slow, but the book got better later on. Still wasn't as funny as I'd hoped. Her very first book was the best. I've wanted to be a Sweet Potato Queen ever since I read the first book. I wish I'd had someone to teach me the Queens' take on men and life while I was still a larvae.
Christine
Fairly funny.. I am a little to young and married to be part of the intended audience, but it is funny nonetheless. The book ends with several artery clogging recipes. The gist is good, so for those that are in bad relationships later in life, this book is for you, or a good one to give your friends!
Stephanie
I heard Jill Conner Browne talk on a radio show and she was hilarious. Her book is equally funny, but I listened to the audiobook and though she reads it herself, it was kinda lackluster. She sounds nervous and slightly monotone. But it's funny, and I'd like to read some of her other stuff.
Larissa
" 'Aint it the truth?" say so many women as a reaction to this title!

This was the first book I picked up in the months that followed my daughter's birth & my return to work. Laughter really is the best medicine! (Even if this one wasn't as funny as the previous ones)
Stefan Jung
I loved this book the same as I have the previous Sweet Potato Queens books I've read. The book is a laugh out loud funny send-up of the ups and downs of the modern dating world and the battle of the sexes. Jill Conner Browne is a gifted comedienne and writer!
Vickie
O MY GOD!! If you need a snort laugh, get any and all from the Sweet Potato Queen's series of books! I listen to them as audiobooks and they are all narrated by the author and I wouldn't have anyone else do the job. She is PERFECT! Wry and Southern....great combo.
Juliemar
I also read this book via audio text on my road trip from Vegas to Florida. It was entertaining, but I don't know if I would've been able to actually read it as opposed to listening to someone read it...the author did a good job reading it.
Anne Scruggs
This was yet again a very cute book with a lot of funny & some serious as well. I loved all the recipes with either bacon or cream cheese/coolwhip. These books make my drive to & from daycare for Colin a little bit more bareable.
Mitsi
I picked up this book one day just before boarding a flight. I laughed OUT LOUD the entire flight. People thought I was crazy. It's just good fun, good laughs, some poignant moments,and really good recipes! lol
Della Scott
No need to recommend--I went through ugh my SPQ phase several years ago and read most of the books. Cute, light, entertaining. They are definitely right about one thing--everybody needs more resons to wear a tiara.
Julie
Sep 24, 2007 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone of Southern persuasion, or who *knows* anyone of Southern persuasion
Shelves: humor
Pretty funny and astonishingly timely, but not in the way you'd think. The philosophizing at the end struck me at just exactly the right time.

I called it "Southern-fried 'Men Are From Mars, Women are Just Smarter'!"
Beth
I keep trying to get into these books but I can't. I mean, they're cute and fun, but just not my thing. I'll try the one about kids since I often want to sell mine as well. Maybe i'll like that one more.
Jodie
Sep 25, 2007 Jodie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for fun light read.
Fun, light read. I HIGHLY recommend this book in audio. Im not sure it would be the same without her southern accent and witty sarcasm. All in the series are very similar. Very fun pick me up!
Bayneeta
Not a match for my sense of humor. Over the top raunchy (and, I swear, I am not a prude!). I haven't read anything else in this series, but I've been told others in series are better.
  • Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments
  • Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral
  • Not Tonight, Honey: Wait 'Til I'm A Size 6
  • Southern Fried Divorce
  • Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • Mama Makes Up Her Mind and Other Dangers of Southern Living
  • Queen of Broken Hearts
  • The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood
  • Bleachy-Haired Honky Bitch: Tales from a Bad Neighborhood
  • 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter: And other tips from a beleaguered father [not that any of them work]
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life
  • It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman
  • The World According to Mimi Smartypants
Jill Conner Browne is the multiple #1 New York Times bestselling author of nine Sweet Potato Queens® books and has created a global phenomenon--6,200 chapter groups in 37 countries--based upon her philosophy and world-view as recounted through these rollicking, raucous and riotously funny essays. Women and smart men understand that the bawdy, sassy, down-to-earth humor is simply the vehicle by whi...more
More about Jill Conner Browne...
The Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love God Save the Sweet Potato Queens The Sweet Potato Queens' First Big-Ass Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, But Could Have, and May Yet The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner) The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Raising Children for Fun and Profit