Start by marking “Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive” as Want to Read:
Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive

Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,153 ratings  ·  75 reviews
"Harvey has a knack for expressing some very profound and important notions in an amusing and interesting way. Serious students of management and leadership can learn a lot by studying this book."
Harvey Golub
President and CEO, IDS Financial Services, Inc.
Success can be yours with this straight-from-the-hip handbook by self-made Minnesota millioniare Harvey Mackay. This one
Mass Market Paperback, 313 pages
Published January 30th 1989 by Ivy Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive

Mike Ogilvie
Written in the late '80s, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the content didn't feel dated at all.

In a very short read, the author conveys some critical business concepts that any business owner or salesperson should take to heart. Perhaps what drives it home so much is that the lessons are timeless.

Ideas like really taking the time to know your customer and having true customer service. They seem so obvious and not worth mentioning. But as we all know, even though core business practices l
Sergey Kononenko
First of all this book is a bit different from what I was expecting after reading of annotation. My expectation was "one more book about negotiations and surviving in complex situations".

Actually "Swim with the Sharks" is rather brief handbook about everything (negotiations, management, decisions etc) rather then detailed paper about particular topic. I would recommend it to read for those people who has no idea how to be successful and not going to spend time to read many books.

For those who al
Liz Bromley
I really don't know why I picked up this book. It was there, I needed something to read. I had a high-power job interview coming up and I thought this book would put me in a go-getter frame of mind. I can't say it taught me anything. It is basically a big disorganized assortment of platitudes and self-aggrandizing anecdotes with very little useful insight.
Christine
If you are looking for a manual on how to become a swindler and a jerk, this is the book for you.

But if you have even a shred of integrity or humanity, run screaming from this book and look elsewhere for business advice.

I hold an MBA and have seen my share of ruthlessness but this book literally turned my stomach. It's unconscionable that a publisher wasted precious natural resources regurgitating this book's outmoded ideas - first published in 1988 - with a 2005 edition.

For contemporary, creati
Heather
Definitely a good read for anyone in the sales business, or even other business people who can't figure out why their business isn't succeeding.

I'm a female college student, and some of his examples were a little outdated for my generation. Also, if you're not into sports you might not understand some of his references. Harvey McCay does a brilliant job giving examples for every single idea he puts out, but as stated above not everyone will hit home. He also incorporates humor into the book whi
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Nade entre tiburones sin que se lo coman vivo, de Harvey B. Mackay.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: marketing y ventas, las mejores técnicas de ventas.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Nade entre tiburones sin que se lo coman vivo, Venda, negocie y gestione personas mejor que sus competidores: Nade entre tiburones sin que se lo coman vivo
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Learn everything you can about your prospects. - Harvey Mackay, Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive

Nightingale Conant has this book in an audio program. I listened to it while commuting. Harvey MacKay shares experiences from his own success in the envelope business. He also used his business skills to help his community.

One of the things he mentioned in his book, as one of the keys for the success of his company is that his company has an audio program library worth $10,000.00 which h
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo's Book Review - Swim with Sharks without Being Eaten Alive by Harvey Mackay

Could you believe, I read this book when I was 16 years old? LOL.... And now after 20 years, I am reading it again and wondering.....goodness where did those years pass by....And what was I thinking when I read this book? In fact, I even asked myself what principles stated in this book did I ever apply to my day-to-day life which I can happily brag about? (In case you are wondering, the answer is zero)

Keeping
Jose Kagoo
This is by far the best book I have read on advanced negotiation tactics.A must read for anyone who is serious about getting the edge on the competition.

Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive... offers a wealth of insights on several fronts and makes you feel powerful with the knowledge of the tips offered.There are no shortcuts and the author lays a lot of emphasis on commonsense solutions that will help you identify sugarcoated facts,cut through the noise and identifying the 'substan
Doug
Dec 07, 2011 Doug rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in sales
This book is a quick and easy read ... the layout, at times, makes it seem like there is a lot more content than what is actually there ... but overall it is an interesting read.

Some of the ideas that he presents are very interesting and even easy, if you're a "big fish" but may be "way out there" for the normal "little fish in the pond". Some of the ideas he proposes are do-able for anyone ... and probably should be done by everyone. They are courtesy things, such as thank you cards, birthday a
Elisa
I've always believed (and have been confirmed in this belief) that every book, however bad or boring, leaves you with something. This is certainly the case. The strongest point against this book is its misleading title: this is more a self-help book than a book on management and the "lessons" found here have more to do with psychological tricks than with business strategies. Maybe some of you already knew that but I was given this to read for a class on Organizational Development and my main bee ...more
Jack Perry
Harvey MacKay speaks directly from real world experiences and tells you how to go after the business. Sales is a contact sport and the winners understand how to meet and solve solutions for their clients and prospects.
Beverly Dowdell
Tactics in saying "No" and walk away unless/until a deal works and is the right fit were brilliant. A small chapter but worth the value. A mindset changer.
Leslie Pauley
A business book that did not put me to sleep. MacKay uses real life experiences as examples, and admits when he's wrong. Since I read the 1988 edition, I can only hope he removed the word "midget" from the book, and found a better example than OJ Simpson.
Joe
Updates for the modern day with a lot of references to Google, Microsoft and other current businesses.

This is a great book written by someone who knows what they are talking about. Harvey didn't make money just from telling others how to get rich. He got rich on his own and is now telling others how he did it. That is exactly the kind of person you want to be listening to.

Whenever you are buying something expensive, a house or car get someone else to go in first and establish something about the
Stephen Costello
Simple.
This book is a must on networking and corporate confidence.
Harvey lays it out on simple ways to get to the decision maker.
The importance of follow up correspondence and relationship building.
When Larry King introduces you at your Birthday Party in Vegas you know
you arrived.
Listen to every word this guy says.
Remember
Dig your well before your thirsty.
The worlds biggest room is the room for improvement.
While we are driving to work Harvey is learning twelve languages.
To be perfect you need pe
Andrew Flynn
More of a book of little tips, reads like a bit of a manual for different scenarios one would play in the business world. Still, very informative and an easy read.
TarasProkopyuk
Книгу для деловых людей «Как уцелеть среди акул» считаю, стоило бы назвать «Как плавать среди китов». Мне кажется, что так было бы ближе к её содержанию.

Именно её название настроило меня встретится в книге с чем то сравни того «как выжить в подковёрных склоках и интригах». Но очень обрадовался, когда мои ожидания разрушились об очень высококачественные советы опытного, умного и весьма ловкого человека.

Такие книги довольно редкие. И эту можно смело внести в списки лучших деловых книг в мире.
Wellington
There is a reprint of this book printed in January 2005 but I read the book from 1989 when Japan was on the verge of taking overtaking the United States and the Internet was just something that Al Gore used. 

It is old but still a lot of good advice in this book. The tone is matter-of-fact and bordering on in-your-face. He won me over when he said that when you’re selling something, you should keep what you’re selling separate from whom you are: because honestly, we are lousy products.
William Burruss
Harvey uses his practical experience and gives you simple examples with day to day business. This book is easy reading and can be read over a long period of time. One lesson that I still enjoy quoting twenty years later is "if you have two people in a business deal and one has the money and the other has the experience the person with the experience gets the money and the one with the money gets the experience."
Christine
I had to read this for my Salesmanship class. It was easy to understand. The concepts that Harvey Mackay discusses shouldn't be too foreign, as they seem like good ideas that should be common sense. Sadly, I actually get to see so few of the traits he mentions in person.

This is a great read for anyone looking to make their business more successful or to improve their personal sales skills.
Wendy
Jun 12, 2008 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business people of any sort
Recommended to Wendy by: Ed Bellamy
Shelves: non-fiction
This books was required reading by one of my first bosses - Ed Bellamy. (Also at his suggestion, I started listening to Rush Limbaugh that same year.) It is the first book of this type that I ever read. I was all of 22 years old. The concepts in this book shaped my approach to the world of business and sales.

It is an excellent book and I should probably read it again.
Jim
Had never heard of him and am a little suspect over his "profile" of business associates but I can certainly see the value. I appreciated a passage....pg 53...The mark of a good salesperson is that his customer doesn't regard him as a salesperson at all, but a truted and indispensable adviser an auxiliary employee who, fortunately, is on someone else's payroll.
Eric Rickey
I am enjoying the straightforward advice in this book so far. This book has been recommended by some businesspeople and teachers that I respect and so I am now about half-way through. It seems a quick and easy read. And yet, I seem to be finding enough thoughtful nuggets to find it odd how quick and easy of a read this happens to be.
Brian Siemers
Aug 25, 2008 Brian Siemers rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: Eric
I am not one to think that all "self help" books are gold, but there is more good in this then bad. Think big picture when you read this. My career went from almost asked to resign to a 15K increase in base pay in just 13 months. disclaimer- do not look at it as a fix all, pull what will work for you and build upon that
Shawn Camp
Written in a way where each lesson is short and to the point allowing you to go back to any section to reflect on your favorite areas. The developer of the Mackay 66 has created some great advice for salespeople and job seekers everywhere. Keep this book close at hand and refer back to it constantly!
Garrett
Jul 21, 2009 Garrett rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Garrett by: My Father
Some great ideas and strategies about how to set yourself apart in the business world and even in your personal life. I started to read when it was assigned for my Sport Marketing class but didn't finish it with the end of college going on. SO I started it over after I graduated and learned a good deal.
Cameron
I guess there's some good stuff in here, but with a title like this, you should expect the book to kind of suck. At least it was a quick read?

If you are in business you should get two or three takeaways that make it worthwhile, but it certainly won't change your life.
Jessica
Although I'm not a sales person, I chose to read this because of the type of business I work in. I found it interesting and, although most of the book was not applicable to me, parts of it helped me understand the art of selling which I could apply to my own life.
Landon
outrageously informative, yet at the same time entertaining. Harvey MacKay shares with the world his practices and principles that lead to him become a multi-millionaire. This book will be enjoyed by anyone studying or interested in business and management methods.
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Age of Unreason
  • Competing for the Future
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • Chasing Daylight: How My Forthcoming Death Transformed by Life
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness: How to Make Sales Forever
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt: Do What You Love, Love What You Do, and Deliver More Than You Promise The Mackay MBA of Selling in the Real World Use Your Head to Get Your Foot in the Door: Job Search Secrets No One Else Will Tell You Pushing the Envelope: All The Way To The Top