Start by marking “Revenge of the Wedding Planner” as Want to Read:
Revenge of the Wedding Planner

Revenge of the Wedding Planner

Published April 24th 2008 by Penguin (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Revenge of the Wedding Planner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revenge of the Wedding Planner

Chloe
Jan 14, 2010 Chloe rated it it was ok
'Revenge of the Wedding Planner' is the story of Mags Grimsdale, a 40-something woman who works at Dream Weddings, a small wedding planning business run by her best friend Julia Sultana. But Mags isn't your average 40-something mother of four - she's a goth with long black hair, has gargoyles in her house and is keeping a secret or two. Julia sends Mags' life into disarray when she dumps her latest boyfriend, can Mags keep it all together - her family, friendship and of course, Dream Weddings?

Th
Katie (It's Time to Read) Leversuch
Synopsis:

Mags and Julie are partners at Dream Weddings, catering for the over-the-top and sometimes downright bizarre requirements of Belfast's brides and grooms to be. They rub along well but are as different as chalk and cheese. Mags is married to the love of her life, has four kids and a complicated extended family. Julie is impossibly glamorous, and doesn't remotely believe in love or marriage.

When Julie embarks on a life crisis, running away from her live-in lover and throwing herself in
Andrea
Sep 09, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book! I thought it was brilliant! The first thing that caught me was the main character Mags. She was really interesting, being a goth in her early years and still not really shaking it when older.. and the fact that her husband was a punk! Her house seemed really cool to me, guitars on the walls, a MASSIVE record collection and a room that had a stone gargoyle and gothic candle sticks some at 5 feet tall?! It made me decide that when i have a house of my own it will always ...more
Nicola Mcfall
Jul 23, 2012 Nicola Mcfall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really enjoyable wee book. As with all of Sharon Owen's books, I get a buzz from reading a book based in Belfast and I enjoyed the we snippets of Northern Irish humour

I gave the book four stars, but would actually liked to have given it three and a half. As much as I enjoyed it, I didn't really enjoy it just as much as the other books by Sharon Owens that I have read. The narrating character, Mags, really frustrated me. She was a real wimpy, pathetic sort of door mat. I just wanted to
Renae
Jun 15, 2013 Renae rated it liked it
This book is a great light read, with a bit of laughing...even during the sad times. There were times that I would get distracted by things outside of the cover, but with this book it didnt matter. Which is prob what I needed!
Margs is Julie's PA for her business 'Dream Weddings', the story is told from Margs POV and is almost like reading someones thoughts. The story takes place over a year, as such. Though it jumps back and forward abit, it doesnt matter as Margs tells it like someone having a
Judy
Oct 21, 2010 Judy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Sharon Owens' first three books, set in different streets of Belfast, very much - they are all written with a lovely light touch and full of quirky, unusual characters.

This comic novel about two friends who work as wedding planners is again set in Belfast, but I don't think it works as well - it's a strange mixture of farce, jet-black humour and satire and the sort of cosy-ish humour in the first three books, and to me it doesn't all really gel. I'll still read more by Sharon Owens in
willaful
Oct 21, 2010 willaful marked it as dnf
Shelves: not-my-cuppa
Something about the narration of this book made me think of Monty Python skits in which they play old English biddies. I ran across a review that said the narrator "speaks in the kind of Nordie Mockney that’s so reminiscent of transvestites in cosy cardies" -- the only word of that I understand is transvestite, but it sounds like basically the same idea. Anyway, it was kind of funny but got too crazy for me.
Rhoda
Aug 25, 2010 Rhoda rated it did not like it
I have read one other of Sharon Owens books and really enjoyed it, however this was a disappointment. The storyline was pretty weak and the characters were just not likeable. I didn't like Mags, who was the character that was narrating - she was a walk-over and annoying and the none of the other characters were any better!

The title of the book did not seem relevant to the storyling and all-in-all reading it seemed a rather pointless exercise.
Redfox5
Aug 13, 2010 Redfox5 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
Really enjoyed this one. Mags has got to be one of the most likable characters I think I've ever come across in a chick-lit book. She's a funny but slightly crazy ex-goth, who trys to do whats best for her and everyone around her but ends up making it worst. I think 80% of the chick lit I read is set in Ireland.
Sara Lou
The more I read this book, the less I felt like I understood it or cared what it was about. I didn't understand what the revenge part was, didn't really connect with the main character or her life, the plot made no sense to me. Had to give up on it in the end as I didn't even care what the end was going to be.
Ashleigh
May 11, 2016 Ashleigh rated it really liked it
Easy to read book. I quite enjoy the style it was written in, making it feel like Mags (the main character) is talking directly to you. some over the top story lines but that's what makes this interesting.
Catsalive
Mar 20, 2016 Catsalive rated it it was ok
OK. Easy reading. Mags overspending & Julie's sexual exploits got a bit tired. Got a bit too silly midway through when Mags got the tattoo & I nearly gave up, but it settled down again. I'm not sure where the revenge part comes in.
Grace
Feb 19, 2013 Grace rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-books-read
This was an ok read. It was a reasonable story which was written with a sense of humour. It was very easy to read and a good book to take with you when you are commuting to work.

This is the first time I have read anything by this author and would be willing to try some more of her work.
Pippa
Sep 05, 2008 Pippa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book...I read it whilst on my holiday and i found it so hard to put down...My only complaint would be that the story dragged in places.
Dot
May 24, 2009 Dot rated it really liked it
A fun and light read. Sharon Owens has a very funny writing style and I find her books good to read after a heavier novel.

I laughed out loud many times during this book!
Jan Q
Aug 10, 2011 Jan Q rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it, I love Sharon Owens style. This is a fun book & I hope one day they start turning her great books into very entertaining movies.
Juli Savage
Feb 26, 2012 Juli Savage rated it liked it
Lovely sweet easy to read chick lit book, mainly about two characters and their lives whilst running a 'Dream Wedding' company
Aileen
Jun 05, 2011 Aileen rated it liked it
I liked this book at the beginning but 4 chapters in, I got bored, however towards the end it did get better.
Jirinka (sony08)
Apr 22, 2010 Jirinka (sony08) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
I really enjoyed this book - it was a quick and easy read. Written in first peson and with great humour.

8/10
Nancy Barnes
A nice read with a funny storyline (wedding planners do a celebrity wedding). A nice commentary on true love, fake love, and imagined love.
Carrie
Jun 07, 2012 Carrie rated it it was ok
This book was very odd. It tells the story of Mags and Julie, two wedding planners in Belfast. I think it's supposed to be funny, but maybe you have to be Irish to get it? I didn't get it.
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Sabina
Sabina rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
bookworm
bookworm rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2014
K
K rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2012
Kirsty Campbell
Kirsty Campbell rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Adnil
Adnil rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Marion
Marion rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Model Wife
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • The Gap Year For Grown Ups
  • Confetti Confidential (Isabel Bookbinder #3)
  • The Wedding Planner
  • The Prince's Forbidden Virgin (The Royal House of Niroli #6)
  • His Mistress by Arrangement
  • The Widow and the Wastrel (Americana, Ohio, #35)
  • While You Were Dreaming
  • School for Husbands
  • A Year to Remember
  • Fiancée for One Night
  • Mum on the Run
Here are some questions I get asked a lot:

DID YOU ALWAYS WANT TO BE A WRITER?

No, it never crossed my mind, though I have always loved books.

WHAT BOOKS DID YOU LOVE AS A CHILD?

THE BORROWERS
THE BORROWERS AFIELD
THE BORROWERS AFLOAT
THE BORROWERS ALOFT
THE BORROWERS AVENGED, all by Mary Norton
THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett
THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE by CS Lewis

WHAT BOOKS DO YOU LO
More about Sharon Owens...