Start by marking “Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle Mysteries)

Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle #7)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  756 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A case almost a quarter of a century cold turns red-hot again as Linda Barnes's detective and parttime cabbie, Carlotta Carlyle, searches for the source of a manuscript in the unmistakable voice of Thea Janis, the stunning literary sensation who disappeared twenty-four years ago at the height of her fame. Who wrote the new manuscript? Who is sending it piecemeal to Thea's ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published March 9th 1998 by Dell (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Case

Carol
Nov 02, 2010 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes books get on our TBR piles in the strangest ways. A few years ago I did a library display on Cold Cases. If you’ve read anything I’ve reviewed you’d probably know I love to read about these unsolved missing person cases. Anyway, I bought the book Cold Case by Linda Barnes for that display. It was not the greatest copy so I circulated it and then threw it on my book shelves meaning to read it in the near future. . A few weeks ago I decided my book shelves could use some weeding and I ca ...more
Ed
May 25, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - Thea Janis a 14-year-old literary sensation has been missing and presumed dead for 24 years. Adam Mayhew shows up on PI Carlyle's doorstep with the first chapter of a manuscript that he says could only have been penned by Thea. When her clothes were later found on a beach, she was presumed a suicide. But Mayhew, a relative of the author, insists that the manuscript - which makes reference to the fall of the Berlin Wall - proves she is a
LJ
COLD CASE - G
Barnes, Linda - 7th in Carlotta Carlyle series

Private investigator and Boston taxi driver Carlotta is searching for the truth about the disappearance of a young author, Thea Janis, who vanished more than 20 years ago. Then a new manuscript arrives, which could only have been written by Thea. But a madman has been convicted of her murder.

It was good, but I like her earlier books better.
Dagny
Jul 24, 2012 Dagny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
A teenage who wrote a famous coming-of-age novel was missing twenty-four years ago. The man, who says he is the mother's brother has a manuscript that he swears was written by "Thea." But Carlotta finds out that the man is an imposter, the mother has no brother. By the time she is warned off the case her interest is so deep that she must find out for herself if the missing Thea is dead or alive.
Robert Scott
Finished 04/13/2014. Carlotta is hired to find Thea the author of a manuscript. But the believed author has been in the grave for 24 years. She is also trying to establish whether Paolina's Colum-bian father is alive or not & then is fear-ful he will take P. T is in fact a pen name of a daughter of a prominent MA political family and the whole family is involved in trying to get the governor-ship for the son. They have already committed a daughter to a living death in a psychiatric sanitariu ...more
Spuddie
Mar 27, 2011 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#8 Carlotta Carlyle mystery set in Boston and environs. Carlotta is approached by an older man who gives her the first chapter of a manuscript to read--he believes that Thea Janis is alive. She had written a brilliant, seductive novel that read well beyond her fifteen years--and then disappeared. She wrote using a particular paper and ink in a certain style and this manuscript certainly reads a lot like Nightmare's Dawn.

But a little digging makes Carlotta wonder what her client is playing at--w
Gail
May 20, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book a lot. It is set in the late 90s in Boston. Very enjoyable and a little old school as it is pre-smartphones and WiFi and High Speed Internet. Good mystery. Great characters that I will hopefully meet again in other books in this Carlotta Caryle series.
Jill
Dec 18, 2015 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 15 year old literary prodigy disappeared 24 years ago and was presumed dead. Carlotta is hired to find out who is writing chapters that appear to be her autobiography . I have been reading this series in order and each one seems to be better than the last.
Debra Morris
Feb 08, 2014 Debra Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. I'm curious about the other books in this series. I enjoyed the main plot but there was a subplot I found confusing. Maybe I should have read the previous books in the series first.
Jack
Jul 13, 2013 Jack rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A decent story but I never really warmed to the protagonist in the story. It is set in Boston, which I did like. Since this is part of a series, there was an annoying plot line at the beginning and end that was unnecessary to the story but I guess was there to explain what happened in earlier books? (Hint: do not take in a foster child if you have no intention of making them part of your series! Unless of course you just send her to camp for the entire book!) A lot happens to this very dysfuncti ...more
Sherrie
Good writing, good characters. A little over-wrought on the plot.
Jacqueline Moore
This was a great mystery book. I loved it.
Carol
Jun 27, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
Judy
May 12, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complicated mystery, involving a wealthy family and political ambitions -- PI Carlotta Carlyle is hired to find a person dead for 24 years, or to find her latest manuscript, her first published when she was a teenaged, prodigy writer. The twists and turns, and the murders, kept me intrigued and interested -- the ending was sad!

Ryan Mishap
There comes a time in every mystery series life when that old case pops up and must be solved, usually because it has a bearing on a current case or someone just really needs to know what happened. That doesn't mean the story will be bad, just that it will happen. Here it is!
Rebecca Laventure lowrey
great read
Joann
May 21, 2010 Joann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Carlotta Carlyle character. This detective story was a little transparent from the poetry and the promiscuousness of a 14 year old girl. The psychiatrist must have been a real do do head.
Cindy
Couldn't get into this one. A lot of talking about whether she's going to take the case or not, a lot of exposition. Show, don't tell, remember? Too bored to finish.
Elaine
Mar 20, 2009 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, kept me reading from cover to cover, and it ended probably the only way it could - but not a happy ending at all.
Cindy
Jan 22, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author. It will not be my last! I love Carlotta and her passion for her work. A fun ride!
Megan
Apr 01, 2013 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good medium mystery. Think I'd like to try more by the author to get a better feel. Liked her characters for the most part.
Petula Darling
Nov 27, 2010 Petula Darling rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
For enjoyability I'd give this book 4 stars, but the overall story just didn't hold together.
Rich
Sep 07, 2013 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent plot, interesting characters. A little too much vulgarity, but still good read.
Jeanette
This was a good book. I liked this one better then some of the other ones in the series.
Oct 07, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love all the Carlotta Carlyle books. Linda Barnes is an excellent writer.
Karen
Aug 21, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had a few twists and the main character is bold and sassy.
Jeanne
Apr 18, 2011 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Carlotta Carlyle so I liked this.
Kelley
Nov 27, 2007 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery...takes place in the Boston area.
Bevjirwin
May 30, 2012 Bevjirwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
her best to date-longer,more involved,really good
Ellen
Carlotta Carlyle #7
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Mother Nature (Em Hansen Mystery, #3)
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)