Start by marking “Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle Mysteries)

Cold Case (Carlotta Carlyle #7)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  635 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A case almost a quarter of a century cold turns red-hot again as Linda Barnes's detective and parttime cabbie, Carlotta Carlyle, searches for the source of a manuscript in the unmistakable voice of Thea Janis, the stunning literary sensation who disappeared twenty-four years ago at the height of her fame. Who wrote the new manuscript? Who is sending it piecemeal to Thea's ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published March 9th 1998 by Dell (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Case

Carol
Sometimes books get on our TBR piles in the strangest ways. A few years ago I did a library display on Cold Cases. If you’ve read anything I’ve reviewed you’d probably know I love to read about these unsolved missing person cases. Anyway, I bought the book Cold Case by Linda Barnes for that display. It was not the greatest copy so I circulated it and then threw it on my book shelves meaning to read it in the near future. . A few weeks ago I decided my book shelves could use some weeding and I ca ...more
LJ
COLD CASE - G
Barnes, Linda - 7th in Carlotta Carlyle series

Private investigator and Boston taxi driver Carlotta is searching for the truth about the disappearance of a young author, Thea Janis, who vanished more than 20 years ago. Then a new manuscript arrives, which could only have been written by Thea. But a madman has been convicted of her murder.

It was good, but I like her earlier books better.
Dagny
A teenage who wrote a famous coming-of-age novel was missing twenty-four years ago. The man, who says he is the mother's brother has a manuscript that he swears was written by "Thea." But Carlotta finds out that the man is an imposter, the mother has no brother. By the time she is warned off the case her interest is so deep that she must find out for herself if the missing Thea is dead or alive.
Spuddie
#8 Carlotta Carlyle mystery set in Boston and environs. Carlotta is approached by an older man who gives her the first chapter of a manuscript to read--he believes that Thea Janis is alive. She had written a brilliant, seductive novel that read well beyond her fifteen years--and then disappeared. She wrote using a particular paper and ink in a certain style and this manuscript certainly reads a lot like Nightmare's Dawn.

But a little digging makes Carlotta wonder what her client is playing at--w
Gail
Enjoyed this book a lot. It is set in the late 90s in Boston. Very enjoyable and a little old school as it is pre-smartphones and WiFi and High Speed Internet. Good mystery. Great characters that I will hopefully meet again in other books in this Carlotta Caryle series.
Debra Morris
Good. I'm curious about the other books in this series. I enjoyed the main plot but there was a subplot I found confusing. Maybe I should have read the previous books in the series first.
Jack
A decent story but I never really warmed to the protagonist in the story. It is set in Boston, which I did like. Since this is part of a series, there was an annoying plot line at the beginning and end that was unnecessary to the story but I guess was there to explain what happened in earlier books? (Hint: do not take in a foster child if you have no intention of making them part of your series! Unless of course you just send her to camp for the entire book!) A lot happens to this very dysfuncti ...more
Jacqueline Moore
This was a great mystery book. I loved it.
Judy
A complicated mystery, involving a wealthy family and political ambitions -- PI Carlotta Carlyle is hired to find a person dead for 24 years, or to find her latest manuscript, her first published when she was a teenaged, prodigy writer. The twists and turns, and the murders, kept me intrigued and interested -- the ending was sad!

Ryan Mishap
There comes a time in every mystery series life when that old case pops up and must be solved, usually because it has a bearing on a current case or someone just really needs to know what happened. That doesn't mean the story will be bad, just that it will happen. Here it is!
Joann
I enjoy the Carlotta Carlyle character. This detective story was a little transparent from the poetry and the promiscuousness of a 14 year old girl. The psychiatrist must have been a real do do head.
Cindy
Couldn't get into this one. A lot of talking about whether she's going to take the case or not, a lot of exposition. Show, don't tell, remember? Too bored to finish.
Elaine
Very well written, kept me reading from cover to cover, and it ended probably the only way it could - but not a happy ending at all.
Cindy
This was my first book by this author. It will not be my last! I love Carlotta and her passion for her work. A fun ride!
Megan
A good medium mystery. Think I'd like to try more by the author to get a better feel. Liked her characters for the most part.
Petula Darling
For enjoyability I'd give this book 4 stars, but the overall story just didn't hold together.
Rich
Decent plot, interesting characters. A little too much vulgarity, but still good read.
Jeanette
This was a good book. I liked this one better then some of the other ones in the series.
Love all the Carlotta Carlyle books. Linda Barnes is an excellent writer.
Karen
It had a few twists and the main character is bold and sassy.
Jeanne
I'm a fan of Carlotta Carlyle so I liked this.
Kelley
Good mystery...takes place in the Boston area.
Bevjirwin
her best to date-longer,more involved,really good
TLove
TLove added it
Dec 12, 2014
  • Ask the Cards a Question (Sharon McCone, #2)
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)