Start by marking “Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ice Blues (Donald Strachey, #3)

Ice Blues (Donald Strachey #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Someone's left a man's body in Donald Strachey's car -- the grandson of Albany's most connected political fixer. A letter from the deceased asks Strachey to dismantle his grandfather's party machine. Like a chess master, Strachey moves ten suitcases, an army of colorful pawns (all of whom think they're king), and $2.5 million across the continent and around Albany. One of...more
Published November 4th 2006 by Haworth Press (first published March 3rd 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Blues

Jon
Richard Stevenson does not disappoint. This is one tightly packed mystery with my favorite gay private detective. Stevenson keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire way, tossing bits of new information here and there, along with excellent sleuthing to keep serious mystery lovers guessing. As usually, I love the banter between Strachey and his partner, who are so opposite each other - yet their relationship works and is wonderful; so real - and not the main feature of the story.

Though the bo...more
Josh
I've read all of Stevenson's Strachey mysteries and highly recommend them.
Richard
Solid entry in the Strachey series. It's pretty much got the same strengths and weaknesses as the previous two books; if you liked them you'll like this one, if you didn't, this isn't going to win you over.

Strengths-Strachey is as solid a character as ever, and his dry, acrebic wit keeps the story entertaining. Timmy has more to do here and is less of a piece of set decoration, but he's still a bit too Mary Sue. I get that he's meant to be Strachey's moral compass and the yin to his yang, but I...more
Jo
I was watching part of this movie on Logo the other night, and I found the rest of it on Netflix, which I have yet to finish, so when I saw the book was only $5 on Kindle I thought I'd try it (not that I need to explain why I read a book but I already typed this out so whatever). My main complaint was the cheap ebook, huge sections were in italics for no reason, and there were really basic spelling errors from the transition, which was very annoying. Overall, it was a decent story, the atmospher...more
Jane
Mar 24, 2009 Jane rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jane by: fandom osmosis
I'm a little disappointed, because Ice Blues is one of the more humorous novels of the series, but it is also has the most outrageous and out-of-character development ever. Ice Blues deals with politic intrigue more heavy-handed than Strachey's Folly and it was sort of impossible for me to suspend belief in order to accept Donald's actions and what drove him - or any of the character's acceptance of them. (So in Ice Blues, I couldn't find Donald's actions and motive believable and in Strachey's...more
_inbetween_
After 20 pages I had to concede defeat, but I didn't want to. After 30 pages I was so bored I started reading my crappy old CSS hand-outs instead.
There are 200 pages. And half a dozen books in this series. Unheard of of me, I started with the third, because people agreed it focussed most on the relationship between Donald and Timothy - except what there is is so little, and not written like two distinct voices or anything.
Still hoping though ...

It picked up a bit when boyfriend Timmy and Kyle To...more
Sandra
This series is great. Witty, well written and thoroughly entertaining.
Donnie
Jul 05, 2011 Donnie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: gay
This is a very good gay detective book ,it like more of his books touch on a lot of social issues and even though the times have change many social injustices still need addressing. Richard Stevenson's writing matures with each book and his unique sense of style becomes more apparent,which sets him aside from so many other detective writers.I am defiantly going to continue through this series and I would absolutely recommend this to any one who likes a good detective book!
Writerlibrarian
I'm going thru the series rapidly. Everybody's looking for the money, Jack Lenihan, supposedly wanted to give to the political candidate that would go along his view of change. 2 millions dollars is a lot of money to travel in suitcases. When Lenihan is found murdered in Donald Strachey's car, the chase for the killer, the money and where the money came from starts. Fun, a little slow to get going with the plot but it does pay off in the ends. Third book in the series.
Lori
One of the earliest series to feature an openly gay detective; Stevenson's Donald Strachey mysteries have enjoyed a mild resurgence in popularity after TV movies have been made of a few of them. Strachey and his lover (these pre-date the use of "partner" to indicate one's romantic companion) sort of fit into the "Nick & Nora" mold of a previous generation.
Gilliam
Snarky, good humoured and boasting an entertaining cast of characters, Ice Blues, the 3rd Don Strachey mystery is also the most successful entry thus far in Stevenson's mystery cum dark comedy series. Indeed, distracted by the engaging camaraderie between Don & Timmy and Don & Dt. Bowman the murder mystery is almost beside the point.
Alexander Inglis
Richard Stevenson's Ice Blues, the third of the Donald Stratchey PI novels set in Albany, NY. It's the dead of winter (no pun intended), and a corpse turns up in Stratchey's car -- the grandson of Albany's political machine ... and $2.5 million is missing. It's a breezy read, the dialogue a tad too bitchy in places, but entertaining fluff.
Ije the Devourer of Books
I am slowly making my way through this series. This was the best so far. It had a mystery that kept unravelling, but did so slowly and with just the right amount of tension. It was also very humorous with Don's dry wit and detective escapades. Also i really liked Timmy as the unwilling but loyal side kick.
Joe Scholes
Nov 09, 2010 Joe Scholes rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Greg Rowland
This is the third book in the Donald Strachey series, and I enjoyed it about as much as the first two. They're not page-turner thrillers, but still pretty good detective stories. I plan to continue reading the series.
Lori
It's funny how simplified the movie version of this story is, yet still equally good. I like Donald Stachey and his lover Timmy, they're an interesting pair and Don is a good investigator.
Maddy
My favorite so far, mostly because it had quite a lot of Timmy in it. (My favorite movie for that reason as well, although otherwise the books reflect the movies very little.)
Chris
3.5 stars. Good gay mystery that starts with Don going to pick up his car (towed in a snow emergency, the bane of all northern folk) and finding a dead, frozen body in it...
Sheila
Fun beginning, shaky ending. Otherwise a solid outing for Strachey and co., and I look forward to seeing how they adapt it for the next movie (especially that beginning).
Montana
The new MLR Press editions, at least the ebook versions, have a disappointing number of typographical problems, both minor and major.
Mia
Aug 25, 2008 Mia is currently reading it
Recommends it for: A good mystery lover!
I love a good mystery!!!
Donald and Timmy are a lovely pair. Also the movie was released in Canada and I wanted to refresh my memory!!
Jake
Stevenson is able to write about a detective who happens to be gay, not a "gay detective". It's refreshing.
Bradley Carrington
Great humor, well paced. Stevenson makes convincing characters, careful plots.
Sean Kennedy

(3.5 / 5)

Good story, atrocious formatting still.
Adam
Glad to have read this, but pretty forgettable
Matt Frear
Not exactly great literature, but a fun read!
Dilo Keith
I love this series. No time to write a review...
Tom Ratliff
I just love my Don Strachey books!
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • The Bones of Summer (Maloney's Law, #2)
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • Closet (Todd Mills Mystery #1)
  • The Secret Tunnel  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #2)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • The Butcher's Son (A Dick Hardesty Mystery, #1)
  • The Art of Dying (Partners in Crime, #4)
  • Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, #1)
  • Amuse Bouche (A Russell Quant Mystery, #1)
  • L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)
  • A Deadly Deception (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #2)

Richard Stevenson is the pseudonym of Richard Lipez, the author of nine books, including the Don Strachey private eye series. The Strachey books are being filmed by here!, the first gay television network. Lipez also co-wrote Grand Scam with Peter Stein, and contributed to C...more
More about Richard Stevenson...
Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1) On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2) Third Man Out (Donald Strachey, #4) Shock to the System (Donald Strachey, #5) Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey, #6)