Start by marking “The Illumined Heart: Capture the Vibrant Faith of the Ancient Christians” as Want to Read:
The Illumined Heart: Capture the Vibrant Faith of the Ancient Christians

The Illumined Heart: Capture the Vibrant Faith of the Ancient Christians

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Why are modern Christians so indistinguishable from everyone else?
How come Christians who lived in times of bloody persecution were so heroic, while we who live in safety are not?
How could the first Christians fast valiantly, but we feel deprived without dessert?
How did New Testament believers pray without ceasing?
How could the early Christian martyrs actually forgive thei
Published July 1st 2007 by Paraclete Press (first published October 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Illumined Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illumined Heart

Heatherjoy
Jun 22, 2013 Heatherjoy rated it really liked it
This book took more time to read than its thickness would suggest because it is the type of material one needs to marinade in. I am already applying some if the principles, though not as holistically as the book suggests.

There are two things that rub me a little bit the wrong way about this book, though I still rated it highly because the meat of the book is so worthwhile. First, this book comes across more strongly than the other FMG book I have read in suggesting that the Orthodox Church has a
Mary
Mar 26, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. As the cover says, "Mathewes-Green explores prayer, fasting, and alms-giving as aids to 'theosis' - total transformation in Christ." It's beautifully written and very simple. I loved chapter 9, especially, and am challenged to truly pray without ceasing. This is my favorite quote: "Murmuring like a brook, the prayer becomes the background music of every other thought and deed in life. It beats in the heart through long years, accompanying the believer at every moment. ...more
Nate
Concise, 100-page tract for modern Christians to think about what the ancient church believed, and then try to appropriate things that we have lost. She ends up equating ancient Christianity with the modern Eastern Orthodox Church, but doesn't get too pushy. I think her conviction is that if one really reads the early fathers and puts things into practice that they recommend and did, one may be led to become Orthodox.

Who knows? She may be right. Look at Peter Gillquist and buddies, who in the 8
Amy Vereggen-goeldner
This book is a real gem! I read it in less than 24 hours, I could not put it down. I enjoyed Fredercia Mathewes-Green's easy, conversational writing style. And the content was superb! Taking her knowledge and background (she is a Khouria, spiritual mother, at Holy Cross Orthodox Church), the author clearly lays out a picture of the life of an ancient Christian living around 400AD. The author obviously has a good amount of knowledge of the Bible, as well as, the numerous writings from the ancient ...more
Jeff
Feb 16, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Mathewes-Green explores prayer, fasting, and alms-giving in the ancient church in a serious, but still engaging and easy-reading way.
Alex
Sep 29, 2014 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt the author put stumbling blocks, right up front, for people who would practice this. Being very familiar with the subject matter I also felt that the book didn't dig deep enough to be very rewarding. In all it felt like a primer that had a glaring defect of putting prominently the difficulty without digging into the payoff.
Chrissy
Dec 30, 2012 Chrissy rated it really liked it
This book was a gift from a dear friend. Mathewes-Green is a wonderfully accessible voice for/from the Orthodox faith. Subject aside, she reminds me of a hybrid of Joseph Girzone and Paulo Cueho. In terms of content, as a "Western Christian" I certainly didn't find anything objectionable. I do think she might be a bit quick to write certain ideas/practices off as being strictly "Eastern". I liked her hypothetical characters for the sake of her argument and I appreciated her humility in admitting ...more
Jays
Jun 06, 2014 Jays rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jays by: jaysandrea@hotmail.com
Love Frederica's writing. Powerful little book.
Susan
Nov 26, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't encounter anything new in this little book, but it did sparkle with spiritual insight and beauty nonetheless, and I am glad I read it. The book explains how the early Christian laity practiced and grew in their faith. My only criticism is that, as Mathewes-Green writes from an Eastern Orthodox Catholic perspective, she sometimes portrays the Roman Catholic Church in a harsh and not altogether accurate light.
Terrell
Jan 31, 2013 Terrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I really enjoyed this little gem. I found it to be more full of small meditations of the original monasteries and spiritual figures. I felt that the later chapters were particularly poignant and the exploration of the Jesus prayer with meditation was one oft he best I have ever read. I would recommend this to friends who are not huge theology buffs or who have more abstract concepts of faith.
David Withun
Jun 10, 2012 David Withun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, religion
A must-read book for all Christians; a moving, educating look at the vibrant spiritual life of the ancient Christians, a heritage lost to many modern Christians, but still alive and well in the Orthodox Church.
Kelly
Oct 20, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Mathews-Green says so many quotable words of wisdom that I had to keep notes. If you like to think through your beliefs, take a look at this book.
Emma
Jul 10, 2007 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any searching for God
i am really interested in spiritual meditation. this book deals with eastern orthodox religion and the history of early christainity.
Scott
Oct 29, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book suitable for anyone interested in authentic Christianity. Sometimes short and simple is better!
Jeremy Stock
Apr 29, 2015 Jeremy Stock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excited to pass this on as a gift. It's an excellent and rich read, filled with ancient godly wisdom.
Allan
Jul 17, 2013 Allan rated it really liked it
Good thoughts. Not too much in the way of practical application.
Heather
May 25, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a short but transforming little book
Jen
Apr 10, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread, theology
wowsers. good.
Lindy
Lindy marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Dexter
Dexter marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Keli
Keli added it
Apr 14, 2016
Johns
Johns marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Joshua Derck
Joshua Derck rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Frida Li
Frida Li marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Mryanpalmer85
Mryanpalmer85 marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Aaron Katreeb
Aaron Katreeb rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Melanie Pappas
Melanie Pappas rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • The Orthodox Church
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • Beginning to Pray
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • On the Divine Images
  • Light from the Christian East: An Introduction to the Orthodox Tradition
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text
  • Bread & Water, Wine & Oil: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God
  • The Wound of Knowledge: Christian Spirituality from the New Testament to St. John of the Cross
  • Short Trip to the Edge: Where Earth Meets Heaven—A Pilgrimage