Start by marking “Dylan Thomas: A New Life, Library Edition” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Dylan Thomas: A New Li...

Andrew Lycett

Dylan Thomas: A New Life, Library Edition

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this authoritative, fresh, and compelling account of the extraordinary life and enduring work of Dylan Thomas--author of Under Milkwood, A Child's Christmas in Wales, Adventures in the Skin Trade, Portrait of the Artist As a Young Dog, and numerous poems and stories--Andrew Lycett peels back the layers of story that have accumulated around this extraordinarily talented ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published October 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dylan Thomas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dylan Thomas

Helen (Helena/Nell)
The problem is that in real life there may be three days, or even a fortnight between one drunken party and another. In this book, there may be only a paragraph. And then a 'three day bender' on one page, followed by another on the next. And the LOVERS! They pop up right left and centre. In fact, some of them became 'lovers' before I even realised they'd properly said hello.

I like Dylan Thomas's poetry enormously, or at least some of it. It has always meant a great deal to me. Sadly, it seems I
Melody
I've been listening to this at bedtime for a couple of months. It's not an ideal way to read a new book, as each night I would have to figure out where I fell asleep the night before, and start over from there. The story of Thomas' life is not a happy one, as probably everyone knows. There are some parts of this bio that felt pretty judgmental to me- there are several times something gratuitous is added such as one character was introduced as homosexual, and then for no apparent reason we are gi ...more
Joan Colby
While this book may be “a New Life” of Dylan Thomas, it is certainly not the best that I’ve read. The problem: way too much extraneous material. Every person introduced in the ms. deserves a mini-biography and too often a genealogy as well. Inconsequential details load the pages, so the reader is tempted to skim for what might prove significant.
Russianwitch
While this is a good book I am having trouble muddling through it. I'm getting the impression the author had trouble deciding what to do; write a literary study or a gossip rag. Instead of choosing he did both at the same time so the tempo and the way the story is told varies over the course of the book.

I can't say I was familiar with Dylan Thomas as Dylan Thomas before starting on this book on a recommendation. While reading I did realize that a lot of the poetry is familiar and it's interesti
Sharon
In one of my movie reviews, I stated that the film did nothing to raise my curisity about Dylan Thomas, but in a way it did. I found the character so offensive in the film, I thought I'd read the book to see what he was like.

The film made him out to be better. This book is very well written, well reserched, that I found myself completely disliking the character.

I am sure if I ever met Dylan Thomas and his wife Caitlin, I would not have been fans of them at all.
h
a fairly balanced and well told account of thomas' life. there is a sense that the author knows more than he discloses, which is irritating in its smugness, though. enjoyed this, but probably mostly because i love biographies. the story is linear, but rarely includes years along the way, which makes it strangely difficult to follow.
Jens Peters
Have become enamoured with biography, and this is certainly among the best (especially since Thomas is such a colourful person). Very honest, though another (short) biographical account I have read was a bit more sympathetic and endearing.
Sara Sams
DT's life was not boring, and I was sometimes bored by this book-- the author wants to share all the details he's relished in at the books disadvantage.
Accompanied me on the Pembrokeshire coast trail.:)
Major Doug
Listened to this book: Dylan was a party animal!
Yooperprof
"Never date an alcoholic poet"
Amy Marie
Quite a well-written biography.
Helena
Helena is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2015
Mark Gibbs
Mark Gibbs is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2014
Emily Duval
Emily Duval marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Kent Jackson
Kent Jackson marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jerome
Jerome marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kevin
Kevin added it
Oct 03, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Adrastea
Adrastea marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ian Fleming The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Wilkie Collins: A Life of Sensation Conan Doyle: The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes Rudyard Kipling