Nocover-blank-133x176
Dylan Thomas: A New Li...

Andrew Lycett

Dylan Thomas: A New Life, Library Edition

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Dylan Thomas The definitive biography of the poet who was almost as notorious for his 'rock 'n roll' lifestyle as his artistic work Full description
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published October 9th 2003)

Helen (Helena/Nell)
The problem is that in real life there may be three days, or even a fortnight between one drunken party and another. In this book, there may be only a paragraph. And then a 'three day bender' on one page, followed by another on the next. And the LOVERS! They pop up right left and centre. In fact, some of them became 'lovers' before I even realised they'd properly said hello.

I like Dylan Thomas's poetry enormously, or at least some of it. It has always meant a great deal to me. Sadly, it seems I...more
Melody
I've been listening to this at bedtime for a couple of months. It's not an ideal way to read a new book, as each night I would have to figure out where I fell asleep the night before, and start over from there. The story of Thomas' life is not a happy one, as probably everyone knows. There are some parts of this bio that felt pretty judgmental to me- there are several times something gratuitous is added such as one character was introduced as homosexual, and then for no apparent reason we are gi...more
Russianwitch
While this is a good book I am having trouble muddling through it. I'm getting the impression the author had trouble deciding what to do; write a literary study or a gossip rag. Instead of choosing he did both at the same time so the tempo and the way the story is told varies over the course of the book.

I can't say I was familiar with Dylan Thomas as Dylan Thomas before starting on this book on a recommendation. While reading I did realize that a lot of the poetry is familiar and it's interesti...more
Sharon
In one of my movie reviews, I stated that the film did nothing to raise my curisity about Dylan Thomas, but in a way it did. I found the character so offensive in the film, I thought I'd read the book to see what he was like.

The film made him out to be better. This book is very well written, well reserched, that I found myself completely disliking the character.

I am sure if I ever met Dylan Thomas and his wife Caitlin, I would not have been fans of them at all.
h
a fairly balanced and well told account of thomas' life. there is a sense that the author knows more than he discloses, which is irritating in its smugness, though. enjoyed this, but probably mostly because i love biographies. the story is linear, but rarely includes years along the way, which makes it strangely difficult to follow.
AmblingBooks
"Astonishingly detailed, deeply and expertly researched, and captivatingly written�Lycett's biography is, frankly, stunning�." �Literary Review

Listen to Dylan Thomas on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Jens Peters
Have become enamoured with biography, and this is certainly among the best (especially since Thomas is such a colourful person). Very honest, though another (short) biographical account I have read was a bit more sympathetic and endearing.
Sara Sams
DT's life was not boring, and I was sometimes bored by this book-- the author wants to share all the details he's relished in at the books disadvantage.
Accompanied me on the Pembrokeshire coast trail.:)
Major Doug
Listened to this book: Dylan was a party animal!
Yooperprof
"Never date an alcoholic poet"
Amy Marie
Quite a well-written biography.
Richard Long
Richard Long marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Rob Hall
Rob Hall is currently reading it
Jan 10, 2014
Tom Killalea
Tom Killalea marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Zhara
Zhara marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Melon109
Melon109 marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Huda Azfar
Huda Azfar marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Tom Liskey
Tom Liskey marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Hager Moharram
Hager Moharram is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2013
Nicole Fischer
Nicole Fischer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Caleb Yarbrough
Caleb Yarbrough marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ian Fleming The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Wilkie Collins: A Life of Sensation Rudyard Kipling From Diamond Sculls/ Golden Hand