Start by marking “Dylan Thomas: A New Life, Library Edition” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dylan Thomas: A New Li...

Andrew Lycett

Dylan Thomas: A New Life, Library Edition

In this authoritative, fresh, and compelling account of the extraordinary life and enduring work of Dylan Thomas--author of Under Milkwood, A Child's Christmas in Wales, Adventures in the Skin Trade, Portrait of the Artist As a Young Dog, and numerous poems and stories--Andrew Lycett peels back the layers of story that have accumulated around this extraordinarily talented ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published October 9th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dylan Thomas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dylan Thomas

Cherie
A fascinating but appalling life.

I have never read Dylan Thomas, except his Christmas story, but I have always been aware of his name. I found out more than I ever wanted to know about him, his family, his life, his wife, his affairs, his friends and his drinking. Sensationalism on the author's part on the way the story and events were told? Maybe, but it has a ring of truth to me.

I listened to this as an audiobook by Blackstone Audio and narrated by Simon Vance. The audio was wonderful and Simo
Lysergius
Feb 21, 2017 Lysergius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
A life long reader and fan of Dylan Thomas, I never fully realised just what a chaos his private life was, or how destructive his relationship with Caitlin had been.

This biography pulls no punches, and does not attempt to preserve sensitivities. Since the parties involved are mostly all deceased, there is no need for such niceties. What it does do is reveal in painful clarity the insecurities and and the days to day struggles that Thomas endured, and overcame in order to produce his wonderful ve
Amy Marie
May 11, 2012 Amy Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a well-written biography.
Helen (Helena/Nell)
The problem is that in real life there may be three days, or even a fortnight between one drunken party and another. In this book, there may be only a paragraph. And then a 'three day bender' on one page, followed by another on the next. And the LOVERS! They pop up right left and centre. In fact, some of them became 'lovers' before I even realised they'd properly said hello.

I like Dylan Thomas's poetry enormously, or at least some of it. It has always meant a great deal to me. Sadly, it seems I
Taka
May 07, 2015 Taka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, biography
Too much of Dylan--

You do get to know the man behind those beautiful and mysterious poems, and while it's illuminating to find out about his upbringing, doomed domestic life with Caitlin, his numerous affairs, and drinking escapades, it does get a little old. I now have no respect whatsoever for Dylan Thomas as a human being, though my respect for his work is undiminished, if not deepened (by contrast?). Takeaway: A poet should be judged by the work he produces, not by the life he leads.

The biog
Melody
Apr 14, 2011 Melody rated it liked it
Shelves: heard
I've been listening to this at bedtime for a couple of months. It's not an ideal way to read a new book, as each night I would have to figure out where I fell asleep the night before, and start over from there. The story of Thomas' life is not a happy one, as probably everyone knows. There are some parts of this bio that felt pretty judgmental to me- there are several times something gratuitous is added such as one character was introduced as homosexual, and then for no apparent reason we are gi ...more
Russianwitch
Jul 30, 2011 Russianwitch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biograpies
While this is a good book I am having trouble muddling through it. I'm getting the impression the author had trouble deciding what to do; write a literary study or a gossip rag. Instead of choosing he did both at the same time so the tempo and the way the story is told varies over the course of the book.

I can't say I was familiar with Dylan Thomas as Dylan Thomas before starting on this book on a recommendation. While reading I did realize that a lot of the poetry is familiar and it's interesti
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In one of my movie reviews, I stated that the film did nothing to raise my curisity about Dylan Thomas, but in a way it did. I found the character so offensive in the film, I thought I'd read the book to see what he was like.

The film made him out to be better. This book is very well written, well reserched, that I found myself completely disliking the character.

I am sure if I ever met Dylan Thomas and his wife Caitlin, I would not have been fans of them at all.
secondwomn
Jan 23, 2008 secondwomn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, biography
a fairly balanced and well told account of thomas' life. there is a sense that the author knows more than he discloses, which is irritating in its smugness, though. enjoyed this, but probably mostly because i love biographies. the story is linear, but rarely includes years along the way, which makes it strangely difficult to follow.
Joan Colby
While this book may be “a New Life” of Dylan Thomas, it is certainly not the best that I’ve read. The problem: way too much extraneous material. Every person introduced in the ms. deserves a mini-biography and too often a genealogy as well. Inconsequential details load the pages, so the reader is tempted to skim for what might prove significant.
Sara Sams
DT's life was not boring, and I was sometimes bored by this book-- the author wants to share all the details he's relished in at the books disadvantage.
Accompanied me on the Pembrokeshire coast trail.:)
Jens Peters
Jul 14, 2007 Jens Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have become enamoured with biography, and this is certainly among the best (especially since Thomas is such a colourful person). Very honest, though another (short) biographical account I have read was a bit more sympathetic and endearing.
Patricia Allen
Patricia Allen rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Kevin Kizer
Kevin Kizer rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2009
Martyn Owen
Martyn Owen rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
maggie s
maggie s rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2009
June Centonze
June Centonze rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Jerry Obannion
Jerry Obannion rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Michael A
Michael A rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
Nicole Davison
Nicole Davison rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Slincn
Slincn rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Esoteric
Esoteric rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2011
Janus
Janus rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Rhea Dhanbhoora
Rhea Dhanbhoora rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Kevin Kizer
Kevin Kizer rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
  • Hawthorne: A Life
  • Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker
  • Shelley: The Pursuit
  • My Wars Are Laid Away in Books: The Life of Emily Dickinson
  • The Talented Miss Highsmith: The Secret Life and Serious Art of Patricia Highsmith
  • Raymond Chandler: A Biography