Start by marking “O Parque Dos Dinossauros (Parque Jurássico)” as Want to Read:
O Parque Dos Dinossauros (Parque Jurássico)

O Parque Dos Dinossauros (Jurassic Park #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  505,552 ratings  ·  5,176 reviews
Uma técnica desenvolvida para recuperar e clonar o DNA de dinossauros foi descoberta. Criaturas extintas há séculos são recriadas em laboratório com o objetivo de se tornar atração de um parque temático, numa ilha remota a oeste do litoral da Costa Rica. Mas será possível a convivência entre dinossauros e humanos? Quais são os limites da ambição humana? Em 'O parque dos di ...more
Published 1993 by Círculo do Livro, Best Seller (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about O Parque Dos Dinossauros, please sign up.

Beverly Cooper This book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos…moreThis book blows the movie "out dah window!" It is definitely written for a more intelligent audience, especially Crichton's explanation of the "Chaos Theory" and it's use in creating the, er, "dinosaurs..."
The book depicts the characters completely different than the movie does, in terms of their importance, personalities, relationships to the overall story and each other,etc. Actually, once you begin reading it, you may not be able to put it down literally - I know I couldn't... (less)
Avaminn F'nett Yeah, it's fine for a 12 year-old. There's a bit of swearing but not too much. I read it at that age.

Alejandro
This is one of my favorite books of all time!!!

I was way excited back then, 20 years ago, about the movie (minus the controversial scene portraiting San José, Costa Rica with a beach in the middle of it). Trust me. I am from Costa Rica and I live precisely in San José and we don't have a dang beach around.

I am sure that Spielberg wouldn't do that kind of mistake if he'd need to portrait Paris, France, but a dang capital city in a third world country? Who cares?

Well, I care, I am from that precis
Brad
I always seem to forget how good Jurassic Park is. I blast through it once every few years, throw it on my shelf and the distance slowly makes me derisive, and then something forces me to pick it up again when my brain needs a little peanut butter and jelly dipped in hot chocolate, and I am forced to admit that Jurassic Park is a damn fine novel.

Sure it's packed with Michael Crichton's usual band of screenplay-adaptation-friendly archetypes, sure it derives much of its plot and thought from Art
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

PLEASE NOTE THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT A BOOK THAT BECAME ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MOVIES OF ALL TIME MORE THAN 20 YEARS AGO, GROSSED OVER A BILLION DOLLARS AND CHANGED THE WAY WE LOOKED AT SPECIAL EFFECTS FOREVER. IF YOU CONSIDER ANYTHING IN MY REVIEW A “SPOILER,” THERE’S A GOOD CHANCE YOU WERE CREATED IN A LAB FROM SOME FOSSILIZED AMBER.

It all begins with a billionaire who has a big imagination and a lot of spare money lying around. By dro
Simeon
Science-at-the-brink-of-chaos fiction. Nonlinear dynamics had barely been invented, and yet here it was, gracing each chapter with a foreboding message of disintegration.

Not literature, not amazing prose, but a true edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Will M.
Another masterpiece by Crichton. Can't believe it took me years to finally pick this one up and read it.

I watched the movie adaptation when I was a kid, so I can't really remember much of the plot other than dinosaurs gone wild, and I'm sure I remember an elevator scene. Aside from those, I had no idea what was in store for me before I read this. I wasn't hesitant on reading this, but my really long TBR list was the reason why I didn't read this sooner than I should have. All I can say is that
Jr Bacdayan
RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Imagine yourself a prey, being hunted by the one of the most deadliest predators that ever roamed the earth. The Tyrannosaurus Rex. About 30 feet of pure muscle with a massive head that contains the biggest set of teeth that could turn your flesh and bones into mush in one bite.

You are trapped. You have nowhere to go. Your entire body is shaking.

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

You might or might not have peed in y
Ryan
Jurassic Park is Michael Crichton's masterwork. The academics are cooler, the science is hipper, and the monsters are badder. So why haven't you read this novel?

Let's look at the premise: We can use cloning technology to bring dinosaurs back, and now the fabulously wealthy Mr. John Hammond is going to sell glimpses of those dinosaurs in order to make money, "a lot of money," as Mr. Hammond would remind us. Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler, and Ian Malcolm are brought to a Caribbean island to vet Jurass
Zora
At the risk of offending what looks to be all my male goodreads friends who loved this (none of my female friends have read it, which is remarkable but probably not random), I couldn't finish it. It wasn't the multiple viewpoints or so-so prose, it was the science. I worked for awhile as an assistant paleontologist--field, prep, and curating--and I promise you, pretty much everything in the first 50 pages on this topic is wrong. I wasn't loving the book anyway, and kept finding random factual er ...more
Tom M
I have never been terribly impressed with Crichton's work, but I have always been told that I must read Jurassic Park to really appreciate him.

I was not expecting much from this book, but I was disappointed nonetheless. The whole story seemed fragmented and disorganized. This was supposed to be about a sort of fantasy world created by an eccentric, wealthy man, but throughout the book I felt like It was more Michael Crichton's fantasy than anybody else's. It was as if he had several goals for t
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I just realized that I hadn't rated or reviewed this book. I read it several years ago.

To be honest, I couldn't finish this book. The writing had an inescapable pattern to it: Introduce character, character gets killed or in some horrible way or eaten by a dinosaur. I hate collateral damage in books, movies, or tv. Big turn-off. Plus, I don't like the creation of sacrificial lambs to be killed, paper-thin to the point of having no personality practically.

The science part was a little too detail
Dyuti
Once upon a time, we would find books like Jurassic Park in a typical high-schooler's bag -- a book with liberal doses of scientific information, imagination, suspense and thrill.

Today however, all that floods the Young adult book market are wimpy love triangles between werewolves, vampires and humans!

What a degradation! What a shame!

This is just my second book by Micheal Crichton, after The great Train Robbery, and I've already turned into a fan! This guy is a real entertainer! His works are n
Keely
With Crichton, it is always a gamble whether whatever strange and new idea has latched onto will overcome his overbearing personality. His assurance that science will always go wrong makes for easy potboiler plots, but you do get the feeling that if he were a caveman, he would mistrust a sharpened stick.

Crichton's sensationalism and misuse of scientific concepts has made him untrustworthy as a guide on any serious issue, but in the case of runaway dinosaurs, we do not need to heed his warnings a
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
I originally noticed this audiobook as a Youtube upload off to the side as I was listening to Prisoner of Azkaban for the umpteenth time. I've got The Lost World at home and I've never seen the films (not completely, anyway), so I figured Why the hell not? I haven't been a ginormous fan of dinosaurs since I was about ten, but this book cured that so quick. I was instantly back in my kid-mindset when they were first discussing the park. Just the thought of SEEING these enormous beasts had me droo ...more
Raeden Zen
An Exciting, Realistic, Terrifying Technothriller

"Jurassic Park" is one of the most engrossing technothrillers ever written as Mr. Crichton masterfully hooks the reader with the opening description of the genetic engineering company and the victim of the velociraptor.

The scientific descriptions read true, the philosophy adds power, the kids are cute and create sympathy, and by the middle of the book you will totally believe that there is an island in Central America where an eccentric billionai
Monk
As a child, my parents (mostly my mother) encouraged me to read 'real books' about historical stuff (which bored the hell out of me) and to tackle topics that were relevant or based in fact (boy did that not hold). When I petitioned to read this book, mom and dad shot it down (and at that age they held the purse strings) and tried to get me to read some book about Medieval Italy (boooooring).

Two years leter, they caved and let me get this book. It was wonderful.

Crichton is hit or miss from what
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I'm really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! I have seen the movie several times, and always enjoy it...and now I appreciate it even more, because it makes things left vague in the movie make so much more sense.

The added character development (and even dinosaur development, for that matter) make the book fly above and beyond anything a movie could ever recreate.
Drew
Sometimes I worry that my taste in books is getting really snobby. Then I read something like Jurassic Park, and realize that that is exactly true. I can't just sit back and absorb the brilliantly original (as far as I know) idea and the deftly told action scenes. For some reason I have to quibble over awkward sentences, clumsy exposition, and strange dialogue tags. I can't accept Crichton's weird Luddite agenda, even though ordinarily I'd agree with a lot of his points, because he tries to snea ...more
Aileen
During my finals week I began to get an urge...

Not an urge to quit law school (although that came up).

Not an urge to sleep all day (oh my, if only I could).

Not even an urge for spicy chicken wings (...okay, that one's a lie. I did have an urge for spicy chicken wings and I submitted to it).

I had an urge to watch Jurassic Park. It was obsessive and I tore through several legal and some...um...back of the truck options to find this movie and satiate the urge, but it was nowhere to be had or my
Helen
Here is Michael Crichton in top form. I have seen the movie version of this novel a handful of times and really liked it. I was reluctant to read the novel thinking it might not live up to the wonderful special effects of movie. Boy was I wrong because the novel kicks its butt. There is so much richness to the science and the methods employed to enginner the dinosaurs. I loved it. I'm so glad I read this and now I want to read the sequel as well.
Faith
What , are you people honestly surprised?

Impossible science? Screw it! An overabundance of characters? Who cares! Glaring plot holes? We don't mind! It has DINOSAURS in it and it's not a complete piece of crap! I'm sold , good enough.

Lyn
As is most frequently the case, the book was better than the film.

And it was a really cool movie. Directed by Stephen Spielberg.

The section of Universal theme park in Orlando is fun too.

Michael Crichton’s 1990 genetically powered biological thriller combines an action packed adventure story with a cautionary tale of corporate, capitalistic greed gone wrong and rolls it all into a humanistic story with excellent characterization and that could be read as a powerful allegory of the harsh realities
Becky
I really enjoyed this book. I saw the movie of course, numerous times, so I had an idea of what to expect going in, but I was still pleasantly surprised by the book. More so after not liking The Andromeda Strain, which was the first Crichton book I ever read.

I have to say, this was a classic case of BBM: Book's Better than the Movie. As I read this, I had the movie playing right along in my head. There were some substantial differences, more background information on the characters as well as a
Jason
Jul 08, 2009 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure fans, Sci-fi fans, readers in general
“Jurassic Park” was my first Michael Crichton book. I had heard somewhere that he was a writer like Tom Clancy who would spend pages and pages dwelling on technical details while neglecting the story. I went in without expectations.
Crichton is a writer of the best quality. Not only does he weave an interesting story with complicated, relatable characters, he also explains and educates things to the reader in an entertaining way.
The book is a lot like the movie, but many things are different a
Gina
Faye, la Patata
Awesome, awesome book. I won't be giving a full review, because, well, everybody knows this and everybody knows it's awesome. Haha.

A few things though:
* It was quite irritating how the only "verb" with regards to dialogue were thought and said. Even when someone asked a question, it won't be "Malcolm asked", it would be "Malcolm said". Over and over and over like there were nothing else.
* Lex was suuuper annoying. She only rekindled the thought that children in books ruin them. She was so infuri
Stephen
3.5 stars. Michael Crichton's most popular book and with good reason. A terrrific science fiction tecno thriller that was truly unique when it was first published. For those disappointed with some of his later efforts, pick this book up and you will see an author at the top of his game.
Kristie
This was almost a 5-star read for me, except Malcolm just dragged on a bit. I love the premise for the book and think it was such a unique idea. Great story.
Wigs
You know at first it was going on pretty well, mostly the same as the movie although interspersed with long diatribes about genetics and science and programming, and that was fine, and I thought it was about four star quality, but the second half was just ridiculous. This is one of the few times I've seen a movie leave out pointless action sequences. There's this whole long nonsense about rafting down the river and pterodactyls and the T-Rex coming back every two seconds like a homing missile an ...more
Karen Malena
Phew! What a ride! A spectacular ride at that. I heard years ago that the book Jurassic Park was nothing like the movie, and many people said that was a good thing. So I picked up a copy recently and was blown away from the first pages.

This book has now become one of the best books I've ever read. It was a page-turner from the start. Intelligent, edge-of-your-seat non-stop thrill ride. I cannot say enough about it.

What Michael Crichton had done was to create a completely believable tale, one tha
Deneé
Originally posted at Novel Reveries

Welcome to Jurassic Park. You are now entering the lost world of the prehistoric past, a world of mighty creatures long gone from the face of the earth, which you are privileged to see for the first time. -151

Innovation, secrecy, unaccountability, greediness, stupidity, stubbornness, and chaos. These are just a few words that sum this up in a nutshell. To dispel concerns and rumors of his company (InGen) wasting funds and causing havoc to the nearby islands,
2015 Reading Chal...: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton 18 80 Feb 25, 2015 08:43AM
Novel Books &...: Crichton, Michael ; Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park #1) - Informal Buddy read:Start date December 10, 2014 90 205 Feb 20, 2015 10:26AM
Lex 35 218 Feb 05, 2015 07:05AM
Favorite Dinosaur? 29 106 Feb 05, 2015 04:44AM
Classic Trash: Jurassic Park: Finished (Spoilers) 24 9 Feb 04, 2015 08:14AM
Classic Trash: Jurassic Park: In Progress (No Spoilers Please) 10 6 Jan 07, 2015 05:13PM
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Jaws
  • 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2)
  • Raptor Red
  • Rebel Dawn (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #3)
  • Nightfall
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, #2)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2)
  • Metal Swarm (The Saga of Seven Suns, #6)
  • Meg (MEG, #1)
  • The Worthing Saga (Worthing, #1-3)
  • Contact
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
  • Year Zero
  • Federation
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was one of the most successful novelists of his generation, admired for his meticulous scientific research and fast-paced narrative. He graduated summa cum laude and earned his MD from Harvard Medical School in 1969. His first novel, Odds On (1966), was written under the pseudonym John Lange and was followed by seven more Lange novels. He also wrote as Michael Douglas ...more
More about Michael Crichton...

Jurassic Park (2 books)
  • The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2)
The Andromeda Strain Timeline Prey Sphere Congo

“God creates dinosaurs, God kills dinosaurs, God creates man, man kills God, man brings back dinosaurs.” 269 likes
“The planet has survived everything, in its time. It will certainly survive us.” 213 likes