Start by marking “El Nino Dificil: Como Entenderlo Y Desarrollar Sus Cualidades” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
El Nino Dificil: Como ...

Stanley Turecki

El Nino Dificil: Como Entenderlo Y Desarrollar Sus Cualidades

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  23 reviews
How to help--and cope with--the difficult child

Expanded and completely revised, the classic and definitive work on parenting hard-to-raise children with new sections on ADHD and the latest medications for childhood disorders.

Temperamentally difficult children can confuse and upset even experienced parents and teachers. They often act defiant, stubborn, loud, aggressive, or
Published March 1st 2002 by Norma S a Editorial (first published October 1985)

To ask other readers questions about El Nino Dificil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Nino Dificil

White
I have not only given this book away, I have bought more copies and given them away as well. I still managed to find one in my library this morning.

On top of giving recommendations to my friends, I have referred countless parents of my students toward this book. The respect I have gotten after they read this masterpiece is insurmountable. This is a must read for any teacher, counselor, or parent.

I thought I was raising a difficult child, until I read this book. Then I realized I was rasising a
Stephanie
Oh my gad... it's like someone wrote a book about my kid! Before those of you who know me and Aedan take offense, this is not a put-down or a diagnosis, it's a book about acknowledging your child's temperament and learning how to work with it rather than against it. My therapist reccomended it after many sessions of me stressing about some of Aedan's behaviors (they only occur when he's with me, BTW, and there's the rub!) so I bought it yesterday, devoured it, and now I feel more hopeful about m ...more
Ann Johnson Davis
Salvation in a book! Hallelujah! Let there be light! There's a "difficult" child in my house and now I know how to deal with him so we both don't kill each other! I see kids like this all over now, and wish for a copy to pass out as I walk down the street to those poor harrassed looking mothers (or stepmothers or foster mothers or teachers as the case may be). I have a sane and peaceful (mostly) home because of this book. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Mr. Turecki!
Apzmarshl
I did feel like a few of the views expressed were old, considering this was originally published in the 1980's. That was mostly regarding colic and making your child go to school when they have anxiety.
I enjoyed the profiles of the kinds of difficult temperament and the example stories.
The part that made the most sense to me was giving time for change from activity to activity and fore warning about new situations.
I picked this book up thinking it would help me with my toddler, but after readin
Amber
This has great info for ages 2-6, not so much for school age/preteen. The best thing I got out of the book was even if it's temperament vs something medical (ADD) the way to parent is similar.
Cris
Trying to refresh myself on toddler management, I picked up this book based on three things: a) The number of times its been re-issued, ( which means a lot of people have found it helpful over the years); b) the fact that the book discussed spanking among other methods for discipline; c) the long list of Child Behaviourists and Child Psychologists recommending the book (not just pediatricians). The title stood out among others with more politically correct titles on the shelves, with long diagno ...more
Libby
Something about this book just really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I really dislike that they refer to the most difficult child as a "mother-killer". How harsh!! And after reading some of the anecdotes about the behavior of some other difficult children, it's clear to me that a lot of it could have been nipped in the bud if the parents would just be more strict in some areas. (And I can say this by experience...) I admit I barely read the first chapter and this may have some redeeming qualit ...more
Aimee
This book was a lifesaver. Finally some useful techniques for dealing with my difficult child. For anyone who has such a child the frustration of not knowing what to do half the time is a serious problem. This book not only explains the "why" but takes a very realistic approach to the "how to fix it". For parents who've read other books and not seen their child's behavior there, this is probably the book for you. If you genuinely are befuddled by what a difficult child is you probably don't have ...more
Tania
This book does give some insight into temperment. I don't think it truly provides solutions to parents that will help them deal with difficult children. The author's approach is very behaviouristic and authoritarian. Most parents would find it hard to do some of the things Turecki suggests. He uses alot of negative labels for children's behaviour; he seems to be stigmatizing these children. It's a very simplistic approach. There are better methods available for helping parents cope with high ene ...more
Abby
I thought the description of different temperamental traits was really helpful in thinking about my children. The second half of the book that focused on discipline techniques was less helpful. I still don't feel like I have a certainty about how I want to handle my sons tantrums and obsession with procedure. A good portion of the book is directed toward children with high activity levels. This isn't what we deal with so those sections weren't as relevant. But overall I actually liked having som ...more
Susie
This book really helped me see where my daughter(s) are coming from and provided an assessment to determine on what level of the "difficult spectrum" my own child was. Then, depending upon the results of said assessment, it gave practical solutions to make life easier on my child (and me). I truly appreciated the fact that it emphasized the "nature" argument - that kids are born with a certain set of traits, some of which are tough to handle but also gave hope that, through approaching such chal ...more
Karen Kohl
A good read for those who feel they've lost control of their child. Highly recommend.
Anne
My strong belief in avoiding negative labels almost caused me to overlook this book. I'm glad I took a second look. This book provided valuable insight and reassurance not only into my second child's difficult toddler-hood, but contained information that I use to this day to help me understand myself, each of my children, and often others as well. I have recommended it highly to family and friends for years.
Cd Brennan
Absolutely brilliant as if i was reading a book written for my son. It was recommended by my sister who is a child psychologist and is staple reading for anyone with a difficult child - would recommend for teachers and other care givers as well. For all those who thought i was just a bad mum, they can stick it up their backside!
Tristan
I found this book to be pervasively negative. The situations presented were overly dramatic and Turecki even admitted that he was combining stories to create one situation. Is real life not "difficult" enough to publish without embellishment? Chapters 7 and 8 were the only chapters with useful information.
Gwen
A good book that helps you examine what is your child's temperament vs. the choices they make. It's given me more patience with my son that has the more difficult behavior. Now I need to use the exercises to help him overcome his challenges!
Anna
I love this book. Really helpful information to understand temperament traits and then learn to manage them. I went to hear him give a talk in person and that was really fun. Nothing fazed him.
Angela
it was a good starting point. i haven't really implemented the "actions" to help the child,but I appreciated the book in the fact that it gave me some knowledge on what we are dealing with.
Melanie
May 14, 2010 Melanie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Okay - I have lost this book. No idea where it might be, but that's why you haven't seen progress on it. When I find it, I will resume! Who loses a book?!!?!?
Willa Grant
This book saved one of my children's life. This book saved my sanity at a time when I was sure I might be the worst mother in the world.
Elizabeth
Full of extremely useful and practical advice for managing temperament issues.
Liz Lindsay
I think the title says it all
Tommyb
Children,ADD,psychology
{sharon}
{sharon} marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Mitzel
Mitzel marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
  • SOS: Help for Parents
  • Your Six-Year-Old: Loving and Defiant
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • Raising Children Who Think for Themselves
  • Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger
  • The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder
  • Teaching Your Children Responsibility
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People
  • Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers
  • Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old
  • When Love Is Not Enough: A Guide to Parenting With RAD-Reactive Attachment Disorder
  • Generation Iy: Our Last Chance to Save Their Future
  • The Challenging Child: Understanding, Raising, and Enjoying the Five "Difficult" Types of Children
  • Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner: Personal Discoveries of a Mother of Twelve
  • Bringing Up Geeks: How to Protect Your Kid's Childhood in a Grow-Up-Too-Fast World
The Difficult Child: Expanded and Revised Edition The Emotional Problems of Normal Children: How Parents Can Understand and Help Directory of Special Libraries22 V1 A-M Normal Children Have Problems, Too: How Parents Can Understand and Help Directory of Special Libraries22 V2 N-Z