Start by marking “Girlfriends' Guide to Baby Gear” as Want to Read:
Girlfriends' Guide to Baby Gear

Girlfriends' Guide to Baby Gear

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
WHO KNEW BABIES NEEDED SO MANY ACCESSORIES?

It’s official. You’re pregnant. Get used to the fact that life is never going to be the same. And break out the credit card, because that little bundle of joy is going to cost you. The list seems endless—from car seats to changing pads. But don’t despair. The Girlfriends are here to take some of the guesswork out of shopping for b
Published January 7th 2003 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about Girlfriends' Guide to Baby Gear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girlfriends' Guide to Baby Gear

Alicia
Jan 27, 2008 Alicia rated it did not like it
At first I thought this was a great book. Then I had my baby. Enough with consumerism. There really isn't a whole lot that you need when you have a baby. Forget the crib and the swing. Just get some clothes and a Moby wrap and you are all set. You will figure out other things along the way. When your baby is first born all he or she really needs is you. All that other stuff is just junk that you don't need to waist your money on that will end up in the land fill someday anyway.
Brenda
Jul 26, 2016 Brenda rated it really liked it
Vicki Iovine and Peg Rosen’s “The Girlfriends’ Guide to Baby Gear” is a fun read that I wish I had read prior to creating my registry. Some of it is slightly dated, but that aside, Iovine and Rosen lay out what exactly you can get away with borrowing and what you don’t need at all. And they do it with humor. Reading this book 3 months into having our first baby, I did learn of some new brands, and some areas I still found applicable as we hadn’t yet purchased some items – for example high chairs ...more
Neligh
Sep 06, 2009 Neligh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: first time mothers
Shelves: baby
The litmus test for baby gear is: Can It Be Used One-Handed? Does it Help Me Do Something Else One-Handed? Taking the tray off the high chair, unfastening a baby Bjorn, raising/lowering the side of a crib, getting baby shampoo into your hand, unfolding/steering/collapsing a stroller: all should be doable with one hand. And when you're testing a stroller, put some weight in it (almost anything is maneuverable when it's empty).

The Baby Bjorn: It does free up your hands, but it can be hard to find
Kat
Jul 31, 2008 Kat rated it really liked it
A good, fast read. It gave a really good breakdown of the stuff she and her friends found useful, necessary, and completely worthless. To me, that was the most important part. As an expecting mom-to-be I was baffled by baby stores and baby aisles, COMPLETELY not sure as to what I'd need when baby got here (beyond the obvious diapers and Onesies, of course). Lots of good info on the safety of some items, too. Iovine writes with a sense of humor, which is really nice when you're about to go around ...more
Alison
Jul 14, 2007 Alison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone pregnant with their first child
Now that I have a 3 month old baby, most of what's included in this book seems like common sense to me, but back when I was a clueless pregnant person this book was invaluable. It clearly explains all the options for the mounds of "baby gear" you will need to (or want to) accumulate for your first baby, provides recommendations on what you really need and what's optional (and what's a true waste of money), and even gives helpful hints on what you can do to help prepare your household and yoursel ...more
Alison
Feb 02, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it
Vicky once again uses her unusual ability to add humor to any situation to navigate you though the basics of choosing what in those huge and overwhelming baby super stores you might actually want to purchase. She does not provide exact makes and models, but instead describes the desired features she and her girlfriends have found useful. Not having many peers with children myself I am grateful for this advice and the many references she provides to continue my search to educate myself in this ar ...more
Nicole
Sep 14, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I used this book to help me build my gift registry while I was pregnant... Of course, after having a baby, I will admit that you really don't need everything that you think you do when you are pregnant with your first child... But no first-time pregnant woman is going to listen to that(I wouldn't have either!)... This book was definitely helpful in narrowing down the options and choosing the most helpful of the items that are available.
Gigi Meyer
May 15, 2009 Gigi Meyer rated it liked it
This was a good introduction to what one needs before a baby arrives. I found it easier to digest than other baby gear books because of its organization.
But really ... after having had a baby, I don't think one is really ever ready by the time the baby comes. An extra suggestion. Save your receipts so you can return / exchange items when you get a better idea of what suits you when the baby arrives.
Alexis Kingham Fuge
Jun 15, 2009 Alexis Kingham Fuge rated it it was amazing
Another MUST HAVE! a great pairing of humor and practicality that this practical gal loves and appreciates. the section on car seats had me crying - the image of my husband trying to install the car seat as we're exiting the hospital was too much - needless to say, it was easy to get sleep after reading this - takes all the stress away!
Emily
Feb 13, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Moms-to-be
Recommended to Emily by: A friend from work
This book is easy to read and even laugh out funny at points. I read it in conjunction with the Consumer Reports Baby Products books and the information was almost identical, so these ladies know what they are talking about. It really helped me figure out what to register for, which products to register for and what to avoid.
Cheryl
Oct 02, 2007 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pregos
Shelves: pregnancy
This book was very helpful - what do put in the diaper bag? What do you take to the hospital with you? What is a layette? I think it offers helpful realistic advice about what you need - there are so many options for items to buy for baby it can be a little overwhelming...good luck!
Ami
Jan 28, 2009 Ami rated it really liked it
Iovine has a hilarious spin for much of the "baby gear" world. This book was helpful. Instead of saying what brands are the best, which could change over time, she points out the best types of baby gear verses the useless items that will just take up space.
Heather Clark
Jul 24, 2008 Heather Clark rated it did not like it
Shelves: pregnancy
Honestly - it was funny in places, but not as funny as Girlfiends' Guide to Pregnancy. I found the advice to be really common sense and what I wanted were specifics. Baby Bargains was MUCH better. I would not recommend buying this, much less reading it.
Rebecca
May 21, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I find baby stores overwhelming, so this book made it a lot easier to research and choose items for our baby. I would go chapter by chapter, choosing items before moving on to the next chapter. The comments were really helpful.
Amanda
Apr 06, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Helpful information and insight into things of the baby world. A bit outdated though.
Suzanne
May 08, 2007 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Expectant Mothers
This book helped me decide which baby products were necessary and which I could do without. I was able to refine my registery, cutting out the non-essentials. A must-read for expectant mothers.
Cameron
Jan 04, 2010 Cameron rated it it was ok
I love the "Girlfriends' Guide to..." series. Excellent advice that is funny to read. In general the advice is pretty good. If anything it's an entertaining read during pregnancy.
Andrea
Jun 02, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it
This book was ok. I probably would have given it a higher rating if I read it earlier, but it was mostly repeated information and seemed out of date.
Melissa
May 23, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it

The only part I really remember was the carseat section an it scared me. It really wasn't all that hard to install but it did get the point across.
Kelly
Mar 18, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
This was a good reference for what stuff you NEED and what you really don't.. it also lists good companies known for safe, dependable baby "stuff"
Michelle
Mar 09, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
I love their conversational style and sarcastic attitude toward "non-essential" items like wipe warmers. This was really funny and had good advice.
Erin
Jan 31, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
It has a lot of good information but I think it goes overboard on what you need. Read it, but then get input from others.
Lisa
Jan 13, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Choosing baby gear can be a pretty dry subject but Vicki Iovine makes it about as entertaining as a guidebook can be.
Karrie
Jul 07, 2007 Karrie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: newly preggers girls
Again, a great series of books. Good info and a sense of humor.
Amy
Mar 03, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
You can really make your own choices. Waste of money.
Jessica
Aug 15, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby
Pretty useful but a bit judgemental and somewhat outdated.
Elena
Sep 26, 2009 Elena rated it liked it
Silly but entertaining with some good info
Kelly
Feb 03, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Good info on what to buy and what you really shouldn't.
Jessica Bender
Very helpful!
Arianne O'Brien
Arianne O'Brien marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016