Start by marking “Dead Man's Gift: Yesterday (part 1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Man's Gift: Yesterday (part 1)

Dead Man's Gift: Yesterday (Dead Man's Gift #1)

A THRILLER IN THREE PARTS

The FIRST direct to digital short-story in a race-against-time three-part adventure from the bestselling author of Relentless, Siege and Ultimatum, Simon Kernick.

MP Tim Horton arrives home to find his seven year old son has been abducted by a ruthless gang of kidnappers. All they have left behind is the brutally murdered body of the Horton's

Published May 22nd 2014 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about Dead Man's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Man's Gift

Gary
Feb 12, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Simon Kernick novels and feel he deserves more acclaim for his excellent books so when I saw this 3 part book on offer I couldn't resist.
Not really sure about this type of release where books are split up into small portions, this one is approximately 30 minute each part.
This first part sets a good base to the overall story and build up the suspense making you eager to read the next instalment.
MP Tim Horton's seven year old son has been abducted by a ruthless gang of kidnappers
Garrett
Jan 29, 2015 Garrett rated it liked it
Shelves: read_2015
This is a very short read and part of a 3 book series.
The ending of the book ends on a cliff hanger so looking forward to the next read
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Dead Man's Gift: Part One kicks off with a lot of action from page one, it's the first instalment in a three part series that completes the whole book, I am not really a fan of reading in this way but wanted to give the first part of this series a go.

MP Tim Horton arrives home to find his seven year old son has been abducted by a ruthless gang of kidnappers. All they have left behind is the brutally murdered body of the Horton’s nanny.

The gang’s demands are simple: Tim must sacrifice his own li
Christine
Nov 07, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my review copy.

This is a thriller in three parts. This is the second time I’ve read a crime novel in instalments this year and it is something I really approve of. I like the build of tension and the almost child-like excitement you get waiting for the next parts.

This first part of the story introduces us to the plot. An MP’s young son is kidnapped. Tim and his wife sit waiting in their house for the instructions from the kidnappers. These instructions
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
The first part of Simon Kernick's action-packed novella 'Dead Man's Gift' kicks off with a heart-thumping scene of murder and abduction. The seven-year-old son of Tim Horton, a prominent politician, is kidnapped, his nanny murdered.

The kidnappers are not demanding money in ransom, instead their demand is much more terrible, they want Tim to sacrifice his own life in exchange of that of his son. He's not given any further details yet. But who's behind this kidnapping? Who wants Tim dead that badl
Cheryl M-M
Dec 26, 2014 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a three-part thriller by Simon Kernick. Tim Horton is faced with a complex and distressing situation.

His son has been kidnapped, the child’s nanny is dead and the kidnappers are not interested in any kind of ransom. Instead they only have one demand. They want Tim dead and they want him dead at a time and place of their choosing.

Although fairly short, it does give a good idea of the flavour, pace and story in store for the reader.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.
Nutnut (Lj) Ford
Jun 11, 2014 Nutnut (Lj) Ford rated it it was amazing
Mr Kernick never disappoints the action starts straight away and continues all the way through, by the the time you reach the end of the first book your chomping for the next one.

A AWESOME READ, A Must read Brilliant
Angela
Jan 27, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
This first part of Simon Kernick's novella is action packed and edge of the seat thrills from the moment it starts. I can't wait for part 2!
michelle
Dec 31, 2014 michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon Kernick does it again. fast paced part 1 of story that makes you wanting more.
Shaun
May 23, 2014 Shaun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2014
Also reviewed on my blog: http://bookaddictshaun.blogspot.co.uk...

If ever there was an author made for serialisation that author is Simon Kernick. I consider him one of the best thriller writers in the world, his books literally take my breath away and have me on the edge of the seat reading at lightning fast pace. That however is with a full length novel, with this serialisation you have to wait a whole week in between releases! Which means after the cliffhanger in this book I cannot bear to wa
Best Crime Books & More
Feb 02, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
I really love Simon Kernick’s books, but if I’m being 100% honest when I saw this was part of a ’short story’ series of books my heart sunk a little bit. I’m not a fan of short stories at the best of times and to buy a book in parts is actually one of my pet hates! Putting that to one side, when I realised this featured Scope (the fabulous character from The Siege) I wanted to read it anyway! The story wastes no time in getting started (well it can’t afford to really!), and we meet Tim Horton as ...more
Robert Scott-Norton
Jul 20, 2014 Robert Scott-Norton rated it really liked it
It’s been a while since I’ve read a serialised book. Probably the ONLY one I remember is Stephen King’s The Green Mile. Has this serialised series been a success? Well, I guess I’ll have to wait till I’ve read the last two parts but if they are anything like as satisfying as this one, then the answer is a resounding YES.

An MP arrives home to find that his son has been kidnapped and he is under tight control by the kidnappers. What can he do to solve this problem? If only he knew someone with a s
Jill
May 25, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Dead Man's Gift is a short story by Simon Kernick, which is being published in three parts. So far I have only read the first part but wow. It is certainly gripping. It has left me on the edge of the seat, really wanting to find out what's going to happen next.

The story gets straight into the action with MP Tim Horton's son being kidnapped and the nanny murdered. There is a twist in the kidnappers demands in that rather than cash, they want Tim to take his life in exchange for his sons.

I love t
Kat
Apr 10, 2015 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second serialised book I've read, although I prefer novels, I liked the cliff hanger at the end making me want to read more. I haven't read Simon Kernick before, but this part of the story has made me want to read more by him. The story was set at a good pace and I'm looking forward to reading the second and third part of the dead mans gift. I love the cover, it's very striking.

Thanks to net galley and the publishers for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest r
Bookworm (Mina Searle)
I have finally got round to reading this after pre-ordering all 3 parts. Simon Kernick pulls no punches and this book grips you from the first page. It flows well and is easy to read.

The story has been set up nicely and I have no idea where its going to go.

I thought Part 1 ended abruptly and I did feel the cliffhanger wasn't much of a cliffhanger but I do like the idea of being kept waiting for the next part.
Joe Donnelly
Apr 18, 2015 Joe Donnelly rated it it was amazing
First of three instalments in a series by Simon Kernick. I have read a number of his books and always enjoyed them, he is a very good thriller writer.
Scope, a recurring character from Mr. Kernick's other books, makes a very welcome appearance about halfway into this episode. He is a great character a little in the Jack Reacher vein, and it looks like he will be the hero here too.
Looking forward to parts two and three.
Hazel
Jan 06, 2015 Hazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
What can I say - Simon Kernick has done it again! This was waiting for me when I woke up and from page 1, it had me hooked and I ended up being late for work as I just had to finish it - I couldn't, and didn't want to, put it down.

The only thing I didn't like about it is I have to wait for Part Two!!!
Suzanne Kay
Aug 08, 2014 Suzanne Kay rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I waited until I had all 3 books before starting reading as I don't think I could have waited the week in between !
As the books as classed as short story and split, the story has you gripped from the beginning and continues the pace throughout.
Julie scott
Sep 01, 2014 Julie scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of Simon Kernick's novels and have never been disappointed Part 1 of Dead Man's Gift is no different it kicks off quickly and is full of intrigue, mystery and very fast paced this novel was definetly a winner for me❤❤❤
Tim Alborough
May 04, 2015 Tim Alborough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Released as an e-book in three parts , this is the first part and it starts the story off at lightening speed . Kernick is my favourite author by a mile .
Vanessab
Jan 27, 2015 Vanessab rated it it was ok
This is quite exciting in parts and is fast paced. I wasn't keen on the descriptions of violence particularly when involving women. This review refers to all three parts.
Louise Hutchings
Louise Hutchings rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Debbie Foster
Debbie Foster rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Therese Abraham
Therese Abraham rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Miss Mandy M Bowes
Miss Mandy M Bowes rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Becci
Becci rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Mr T Chambers
Mr T Chambers rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Hayley Mars
Hayley Mars rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Sam Hewitt
Sam Hewitt rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • The Colour of Death
  • Burial
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Making a Killing: The Explosive Story of a Hired Gun in Iraq
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • To Play the King (Francis Urquhart #2)
  • Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Prophet of Bones
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • Quantum Night
  • Jon Ronson's Adventures With Extraordinary People
  • You Belong To Me
  • Murder Machine
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan #6)
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...

Dead Man's Gift (3 books)
  • Dead Man’s Gift: Last Night (Part 2)
  • Dead Man’s Gift: Today (Part 3)