Start by marking “The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)

The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme #8)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,850 Ratings  ·  839 Reviews
Bestselling master of suspense Jeffery Deaver is back with a brand-new Lincoln Rhyme thriller.Lincoln Rhyme and partner/paramour Amelia Sachs return to face a criminal whose ingenious staging of crimes is enabled by a terrifying access to information....

When Lincoln's estranged cousin Arthur Rhyme is arrested on murder charges, the case is perfect -- too perfect. Forensic
Published June 10th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2008)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
189th out of 5,303 books — 11,881 voters
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Best Detective/Mystery Series
56th out of 1,380 books — 1,661 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Apr 28, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of technological & CSI thrillers
The best reason for rereading a book is getting it in a better edition, in this case a Hard covered version which meant that the paperback has been retired.

This is a Lincoln Rhyme novel that delves into the world of data-mining and during this story he certainly does not pull his punches when it comes to giving a moral judgement over this industry.
Hidden in this book is a thriller and whodunit, the murder of a woman gets Rhymes cousin into trouble being used as a sacrificial lamb for a horrible
stephanie
Dec 04, 2013 stephanie rated it it was amazing
oh my lord. i haven't been this creeped out by a book in like, forever. and now i'm totally bothered by the fact that there is all this information that *I'VE* put on the internet about myself and my book tastes and now there's all this CRAZY ASS INFORMATION that EVERYONE can find out about me.

i love ron pulaski, almost more than amelia. i love watching him grow over the series - i love lincoln, i love lon, and mel, and the crazy computer techs.

this writing is tight and plotty and crazy-brilli
Terri
Nov 06, 2011 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime-thriller
I gave this 3 stars. Mostly because I have big issues with an author using lazy words (or technically fake words) like 'people've' and 'might'v've'. I don't care who you are, putting 'v've at the end of a word is simply not acceptable.

There was a lot of this book that I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn't wait to read in bed at night, but as the book went on, something didn't feel right. The writing was not so great in parts, only it wasn't that. I think I can only do a spoiler and all those who hav
Mary
Dec 04, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Another crime solved by the great criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs. This one was a creepy story about identity theft at its very worst - the big problem for me is that I can totally see this happening in the world today - makes me want to throw away all my store club cards and credit cards and live "off the grid." We also get some interesting family history for Lincoln this time.
Highly recommended for fans of the series and those who enjoy criminal mysteries.
Armin Hennig
Anscheinend muss jemand Jeffery Deaver nach der Lektüre des gehetzten Uhrmachers darauf hingewiesen haben, dass die Spannung eines Gefahrenmoments auch mal eine halbe Seite überschreiten darf und dass durchaus mal was kaputt gehen kann, was seinen Helden lieb und teuer ist. Im Rahmen dieses Krimis um die Gefahren des Identitätsdiebstahls lässt er den Täter auch den von Papa geerbeten und über 40 Jahre akribisch gepflegten Camaro von Amelia Sachs unwiderruflich verschrotten. Tatsächlich hatte ich ...more
Melanie Cattanach
Aug 14, 2009 Melanie Cattanach rated it it was amazing
Scared me spitless, yet here I sit sharing information about my reading preferences on the web.
Jerry
Sep 20, 2011 Jerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
3.5 stars.. Another outing with Lincoln Rhyme in the books.. I enjoyed this one, though The Stone Monkey, my first Lincoln Rhyme novel remains my favorite. An interesting concept, featuring a unique type of serial killer/hoarder/hacker who frames others to take the fall for his crimes. I think he really shows the dangers of all the invasion of privacy issues we deal with in our daily lives, showing just how all the seemingly random bits of data collected in our lives can and are probably right ...more
Cameron
Jul 31, 2008 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the latest Lincoln Rhyme novel from Jeffrey Deaver
Rhyme, a forensic consultant for the NYPD, and his detective partner, Amelia Sachs, take on a psychotic mastermind who uses data mining—the business of the twenty-first century, not only to select and hunt down his victims but also to frame the crimes on complete innocents. Rhyme is reluctantly drawn into a case involving his estranged cousin, Arthur, who's been charged with first-degree murder. But when Rhyme and his crew look into the s
Ellen
Mar 25, 2015 Ellen rated it it was amazing
April 7, 2014

The Broken Window: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel

I've enjoyed the Lincoln Rhymes books and especially appreciate the camaraderie between rhyme & Amelia Sachs.
This is a revision of my first review for this book.

I listened to this novel on CD narrated expertly by George Guidall.
Arthur Rhyme has been charged with the crime of murder. A heinous murder. Now he desperately needs the help of his cousin, Lincoln Rhyme.
This story centers on a psychopathic monster but a monster with a brain.
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Love it love it love it love it...

Echoing 522.. ;)
The book was one of THE best thrillers I've ever read,the plot getting more ominous with every page.. With the trademark twists of Deaver,this book easily takes place in the list of unputdownable. Pam and the clock maker made the story feel more close to heart,giving the feeling of belonging to a reader who have read the previous books in the series. But you are in for serious disappointment if you are looking for walking-the-grid and forensic w
Dipanjan
Apr 29, 2015 Dipanjan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I got introduced to Lincoln Rhyme in the "Bone Collector", I can never get enough of him. In "Broken Window", Lincoln Rhyme returns with a dazzle after his last adventure "Cold Moon" which had a left us in a shock (can't reveal any details).

"The Broken Window" has a formidable villain. This plot is not about Lincoln chasing the evil. Somewhere down the line, it becomes the evil chasing Lincoln and making him squeal from every angle. Lincoln is helpless, truly. This book shines BECAUSE
yexxo
Nur noch bar bezahlen...
Nachdem die 450-Minuten-Lesung dieses Buches vorüber war, überlegte ich mir ernsthaft, ob ich meine Kunden- und Kreditkarten sowie mein Handy abschaffen soll, vom Navi ganz zu schweigen. Denn das Szenario, das Jeffrey Deaver in seinem achten Fall für Lincoln Rhyme und Amelia Sachs entwirft, wirkt so nah an der Realität, dass man sich zwangsläufig fragt, wieviel davon schon Realität IST.
Durch Zufall kommt Lincoln Rhyme mit seinem Team einem Serienkiller auf die Spur, der
Arielle Walker
Sep 18, 2013 Arielle Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
3.5
Ramsey Hootman
So one of the things I love about the Lincoln Rhyme series is how Deaver tackles a different interesting research topic in each book. This time, however, his topic du jour was something I am very familiar with: internet culture. Well, I guess his focus wasn't so much that as privacy issues. Anyway, geeks came to the forefront here. And... as always with any outsider's view of a culture, it was flawed.

He did a pretty good job, but it's still fairly evident that Deaver isn't terribly familiar wit
Beth
Mar 15, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Not worried about identity theft? Read THE BROKEN WINDOW by Jeffrey Deaver. You will be.

A serial killer has gone undetected because he has been able to pin the crime on some innocent person each time. The killer “knows everything” about his murder victims and so is able to get close to them and then plant evidence that proves the guilt of innocent people because the killer "knows everything" about them, too.

But how does he do it? How is he able to know everything about these people? Where does h
Kathy McC
Aug 07, 2008 Kathy McC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You often hear the old legend that our body is worth $4.50 for parts. Our digital identity is worth far more."
Awesome and frightening! Story of a perpetrator's use of data mining techniques to set up perfect crimes and frame perfect strangers for the crimes. If even half of the plot of this book is a possible reality, we must all "be afraid; be very, very afraid"!
While there is violence in this book related to the crimes committed, the graphic descriptions prevalent in too many crime novels
LookPla

สรุปวา พลอตนาสนใจ เดินเรืองไดนาติดตาม
ลุนและระทึกไปกับเรืองร
Jerry
Dec 27, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it
Rather Ho-Hum Entry in Lincoln Rhyme Series...

We're nearly all the way through the complete booklist of Jeffery Deaver, and generally enjoy his writing. He is best known for his forensic investigator Lincoln Rhyme (with sidekick/girlfriend Amelia Sachs) series, made all the more famous by the Bone Collector (the first in the set), made into a movie with Denzel Washington as the leading man.

“Window” is a representative story, and about as formulaic as the rest. A serial killer is knocking off vic
Christy
May 02, 2009 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Criminologist, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhymes has been estranged from his cousin Arthur for years. When Arthur is arrested for the murder of a young woman, Arthur’s wife implores Lincoln to help. The forensic evidence against Arthur strongly links him to the murder, but Lincoln’s paramour Amelia Sachs is suspicious that everything is so clear-cut and suspects Arthur has been set up. She and Lincoln, with the aid of NYPD, learn Arthur isn’t the first person who has been framed for a murder he didn’t ...more
The BookChick
Book Description:

When Lincoln's estranged cousin Arthur Rhyme is arrested on murder charges, the case is perfect — too perfect. Forensic evidence from Arthur's home is found all over the scene of the crime, and it looks like the fate of Lincoln's relative is sealed.

At the behest of Arthur's wife, Judy, Lincoln grudgingly agrees to inves
Laurie
Dec 16, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it
Excellent tension, good novel on the facts and perils of "information mining", tracking spending and identity manipulation.

When the quadriplegic detective's cousin is arrested for murder, it seems to be an open-and-shut case, as plenty of forensic evidence links him to the crime. But Lincoln discovers that the real killer is framing others for his killings by manipulating intimate computer information. A deadly game of cat and mouse pits Lincoln; his partner, Amanda Sachs; and the rest of his NY
Nancy
Aug 16, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a Lincoln Rhyme book in some time. Like many series, the books seem to settle into a pattern (Deaver's pattern being twist after twist after twist--about twice as many suspenseful, oh-my-gosh-but-then-it's-OK twists as he needs to sustain a quick-flowing plot). I've been borderline disenchanted with Lincoln and Amelia since #5...

What pushed me over to five stars on this one was the subtext--human judgment vs. understanding behavior through the study of data. There were some totally-
Gloria Bernal
Feb 14, 2009 Gloria Bernal rated it liked it
this was not one of my favorite Deaver books. I had to make a choice to finish it or review some new pre-releases for Amazon so I opted out of finishing this for now anyway.

The subject matter was interesting enough - it is about identity theft by a rapist/murderer who gathers information electronically of a victim and also sets up a potential person to blame for the crime - he commits the crime but plants dna evidence to link the person who potentially will be arrested for the crime. Scary to th
Daniela
Jan 23, 2015 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classico thrillerone alla Deaver, arrivati a metà libro sembra che sia tutto risolto e ti chiedi che ci sia scritto sulle altre 300 pagine di libro, e nella pagina successiva...sorpresa, le carte si rimescolano e siamo da capo. Molto bella la parte sulla giovinezza di Rhyme. E' un libro scorrevole che si lascia leggere con molto piacere.
Robert
Nov 12, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Deaver does a very good job of writing a very scary story of identity theft taken to a whole new level. The suspect in this tale uses knowledge of a most intimate nature for the most nefarious of imaginable, and some not so imaginable, crimes, including rape and murder. And all in order to gain more knowledge. Very good stuff, and also just to let you know that the character you are thinking of as the culprit is not really going to be the culprit. Remember Deaver is driving this train and he is ...more
Mariska
Jan 26, 2016 Mariska rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Classic Deaver maar met grotere diepgang dan gebruikelijk door de reële waarschuwing naar onze huidige informatie maatschappij. Big Brother is watching you...
Jane
Apr 01, 2016 Jane rated it liked it
I'm stuck with a 3.5 -4 * rating... This one is more about digital offenses. We have Arthur Rhyme, cousin of Lincoln being arrested for murder, rape and stealing charge. In this case, Art is innocent and his wife pay Lincoln a visit to ask for his help. Lincoln as usual, is suck into this case with his long time partner Amelia. Together with Mel, Ron and Lon they investigate that someone is stealing personal data of individual and plant the crime evidence to these scapegoat. In the meantime, ano ...more
Maria
From the twisted and devious mind of Jeffery Deaver, another exciting murder mystery. This book centers around the frightening world of information. An unknown person is mining information about people. He is able to kill anyone he wants for any reason and then, using information he gleans from the powerful computers at a data mining company, frame someone else with enough evidence that they are convicted. Unfortunately, the suspect chooses Lincoln Rhyme's cousin to frame for the crime.

What foll
Fi
Dec 07, 2015 Fi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Lincoln Rhyme book that I've read, so I don't know if the endless repetition of ever-growing lists is a feature of these books, or is unique to this one?
However, it is after all quite easy to simply skip those pages, & apart from that slight niggle the book was excellent; a bit of a slow starter, but the element of menace and suspense was soon apparent, and built as the book progressed; the writing was 'meaty' enough that, for me, I was getting through it quite slowly: afte
Jess
Aug 06, 2015 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver's The Broken Window is not your standard 'Big Brother is always watching' narrative. The plot follows an investigation fronted by Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs as they try to catch a man who is described by one character as 'God'. Whilst this book touches on the notion of the government watching civilians (a topic of discussion which is becoming evermore prominent in today's society both in narratives and reality) the focus is mainly on a private company which is shrouded in secr ...more
Idenity Theft leads to murder 8 56 Sep 25, 2013 12:28PM
Jeffery Deaver Fans: Order of books 5 18 Jun 21, 2013 07:02AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Broken Window 1 3 Apr 28, 2012 12:27PM
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)
  • Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)
  • Messiah
  • Swan Peak (Dave Robicheaux, #17)
  • Phantom Prey (Lucas Davenport, #18)
  • Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1)
  • Dead Time (Alan Gregory, #16)
  • Cold Blood (Lorraine Page, #2)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • Undone (Will Trent, #3)
  • The Black Angel (Charlie Parker, #5)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2)
  • Death Dance (Alexandra Cooper, #8)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • Bones of Betrayal (Body Farm #4)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)