Start by marking “The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)

The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme #8)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  10,187 ratings  ·  748 reviews
Bestselling master of suspense Jeffery Deaver is back with a brand-new Lincoln Rhyme thriller. Lincoln Rhyme and partner/paramour Amelia Sachs return to face a criminal whose ingenious staging of crimes is enabled by a terrifying access to information....

Published June 10th 2008 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Window, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Window

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
188th out of 4,816 books — 10,875 voters
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieOne for the Money by Janet Evanovich
Best Detective/Mystery Series
59th out of 1,223 books — 1,512 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
May 04, 2015 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of technological & CSI thrillers
The best reason for rereading a book is getting it in a better edition, in this case a Hard covered version which meant that the paperback has been retired.

This is a Lincoln Rhyme novel that delves into the world of data-mining and during this story he certainly does not pull his punches when it comes to giving a moral judgement over this industry.
Hidden in this book is a thriller and whodunnit, the murder of a woman gets Rhymes nephew into trouble being used as a sacrificial lamb for a horrible
Terri
I gave this 3 stars. Mostly because I have big issues with an author using lazy words (or technically fake words) like 'people've' and 'might'v've'. I don't care who you are, putting 'v've at the end of a word is simply not acceptable.

There was a lot of this book that I thoroughly enjoyed and couldn't wait to read in bed at night, but as the book went on, something didn't feel right. The writing was not so great in parts, only it wasn't that. I think I can only do a spoiler and all those who hav
stephanie
oh my lord. i haven't been this creeped out by a book in like, forever. and now i'm totally bothered by the fact that there is all this information that *I'VE* put on the internet about myself and my book tastes and now there's all this CRAZY ASS INFORMATION that EVERYONE can find out about me.

i love ron pulaski, almost more than amelia. i love watching him grow over the series - i love lincoln, i love lon, and mel, and the crazy computer techs.

this writing is tight and plotty and crazy-brilli
Mary
Dec 04, 2013 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Another crime solved by the great criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his partner Amelia Sachs. This one was a creepy story about identity theft at its very worst - the big problem for me is that I can totally see this happening in the world today - makes me want to throw away all my store club cards and credit cards and live "off the grid." We also get some interesting family history for Lincoln this time.
Highly recommended for fans of the series and those who enjoy criminal mysteries.
Melanie Cattanach
Scared me spitless, yet here I sit sharing information about my reading preferences on the web.
Jerry
Sep 20, 2011 Jerry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
3.5 stars.. Another outing with Lincoln Rhyme in the books.. I enjoyed this one, though The Stone Monkey, my first Lincoln Rhyme novel remains my favorite. An interesting concept, featuring a unique type of serial killer/hoarder/hacker who frames others to take the fall for his crimes. I think he really shows the dangers of all the invasion of privacy issues we deal with in our daily lives, showing just how all the seemingly random bits of data collected in our lives can and are probably right ...more
Cameron
This is the latest Lincoln Rhyme novel from Jeffrey Deaver
Rhyme, a forensic consultant for the NYPD, and his detective partner, Amelia Sachs, take on a psychotic mastermind who uses data mining—the business of the twenty-first century, not only to select and hunt down his victims but also to frame the crimes on complete innocents. Rhyme is reluctantly drawn into a case involving his estranged cousin, Arthur, who's been charged with first-degree murder. But when Rhyme and his crew look into the s
Ellen
April 7, 2014

The Broken Window: A Lincoln Rhyme Novel

I've enjoyed the Lincoln Rhymes books and especially appreciate the camaraderie between rhyme & Amelia Sachs.
This is a revision of my first review for this book.

I listened to this novel on CD narrated expertly by George Guidall.
Arthur Rhyme has been charged with the crime of murder. A heinous murder. Now he desperately needs the help of his cousin, Lincoln Rhyme.
This story centers on a psychopathic monster but a monster with a brain.
Dipanjan
Ever since I got introduced to Lincoln Rhyme in the "Bone Collector", I can never get enough of him. In "Broken Window", Lincoln Rhyme returns with a dazzle after his last adventure "Cold Moon" which had a left us in a shock (can't reveal any details).

"The Broken Window" has a formidable villain. This plot is not about Lincoln chasing the evil. Somewhere down the line, it becomes the evil chasing Lincoln and making him squeal from every angle. Lincoln is helpless, truly. This book shines BECAUSE
yexxo
Nur noch bar bezahlen...
Nachdem die 450-Minuten-Lesung dieses Buches vorüber war, überlegte ich mir ernsthaft, ob ich meine Kunden- und Kreditkarten sowie mein Handy abschaffen soll, vom Navi ganz zu schweigen. Denn das Szenario, das Jeffrey Deaver in seinem achten Fall für Lincoln Rhyme und Amelia Sachs entwirft, wirkt so nah an der Realität, dass man sich zwangsläufig fragt, wieviel davon schon Realität IST.
Durch Zufall kommt Lincoln Rhyme mit seinem Team einem Serienkiller auf die Spur, der
Ramsey Hootman
So one of the things I love about the Lincoln Rhyme series is how Deaver tackles a different interesting research topic in each book. This time, however, his topic du jour was something I am very familiar with: internet culture. Well, I guess his focus wasn't so much that as privacy issues. Anyway, geeks came to the forefront here. And... as always with any outsider's view of a culture, it was flawed.

He did a pretty good job, but it's still fairly evident that Deaver isn't terribly familiar wit
Beth
Not worried about identity theft? Read THE BROKEN WINDOW by Jeffrey Deaver. You will be.

A serial killer has gone undetected because he has been able to pin the crime on some innocent person each time. The killer “knows everything” about his murder victims and so is able to get close to them and then plant evidence that proves the guilt of innocent people because the killer "knows everything" about them, too.

But how does he do it? How is he able to know everything about these people? Where does h
Kathy McC
"You often hear the old legend that our body is worth $4.50 for parts. Our digital identity is worth far more."
Awesome and frightening! Story of a perpetrator's use of data mining techniques to set up perfect crimes and frame perfect strangers for the crimes. If even half of the plot of this book is a possible reality, we must all "be afraid; be very, very afraid"!
While there is violence in this book related to the crimes committed, the graphic descriptions prevalent in too many crime novels
LookPla
แตคนรายในเรืองนีทำใหคำวาความรูแอบดูนากลัวไปดวยเลย

สรุปวา พลอตนาสนใจ เดินเรืองไดนาติดตาม
ลุนและระทึกไปกับเรืองร
Jerry
Rather Ho-Hum Entry in Lincoln Rhyme Series...

We're nearly all the way through the complete booklist of Jeffery Deaver, and generally enjoy his writing. He is best known for his forensic investigator Lincoln Rhyme (with sidekick/girlfriend Amelia Sachs) series, made all the more famous by the Bone Collector (the first in the set), made into a movie with Denzel Washington as the leading man.

“Window” is a representative story, and about as formulaic as the rest. A serial killer is knocking off vic
Christy
Criminologist, quadriplegic Lincoln Rhymes has been estranged from his cousin Arthur for years. When Arthur is arrested for the murder of a young woman, Arthur’s wife implores Lincoln to help. The forensic evidence against Arthur strongly links him to the murder, but Lincoln’s paramour Amelia Sachs is suspicious that everything is so clear-cut and suspects Arthur has been set up. She and Lincoln, with the aid of NYPD, learn Arthur isn’t the first person who has been framed for a murder he didn’t ...more
Bookie | The BookChick
Book Description:

When Lincoln's estranged cousin Arthur Rhyme is arrested on murder charges, the case is perfect — too perfect. Forensic evidence from Arthur's home is found all over the scene of the crime, and it looks like the fate of Lincoln's relative is sealed.

At the behest of Arthur's wife, Judy, Lincoln grudgingly agrees to inves
Laurie
Excellent tension, good novel on the facts and perils of "information mining", tracking spending and identity manipulation.

When the quadriplegic detective's cousin is arrested for murder, it seems to be an open-and-shut case, as plenty of forensic evidence links him to the crime. But Lincoln discovers that the real killer is framing others for his killings by manipulating intimate computer information. A deadly game of cat and mouse pits Lincoln; his partner, Amanda Sachs; and the rest of his NY
Nancy
Haven't read a Lincoln Rhyme book in some time. Like many series, the books seem to settle into a pattern (Deaver's pattern being twist after twist after twist--about twice as many suspenseful, oh-my-gosh-but-then-it's-OK twists as he needs to sustain a quick-flowing plot). I've been borderline disenchanted with Lincoln and Amelia since #5...

What pushed me over to five stars on this one was the subtext--human judgment vs. understanding behavior through the study of data. There were some totally-
Gloria Bernal
this was not one of my favorite Deaver books. I had to make a choice to finish it or review some new pre-releases for Amazon so I opted out of finishing this for now anyway.

The subject matter was interesting enough - it is about identity theft by a rapist/murderer who gathers information electronically of a victim and also sets up a potential person to blame for the crime - he commits the crime but plants dna evidence to link the person who potentially will be arrested for the crime. Scary to th
Daniela
Classico thrillerone alla Deaver, arrivati a metà libro sembra che sia tutto risolto e ti chiedi che ci sia scritto sulle altre 300 pagine di libro, e nella pagina successiva...sorpresa, le carte si rimescolano e siamo da capo. Molto bella la parte sulla giovinezza di Rhyme. E' un libro scorrevole che si lascia leggere con molto piacere.
Robert
Deaver does a very good job of writing a very scary story of identity theft taken to a whole new level. The suspect in this tale uses knowledge of a most intimate nature for the most nefarious of imaginable, and some not so imaginable, crimes, including rape and murder. And all in order to gain more knowledge. Very good stuff, and also just to let you know that the character you are thinking of as the culprit is not really going to be the culprit. Remember Deaver is driving this train and he is ...more
Michael Sump
This book is terrifying. Oh, it's a typical Jeff Deaver/Lincoln Rhymes offering...a tight plot, lots of action spread over a few days, a desperate hunt for the perpetrator accompanied by any number of twists and turns. Exciting, as always. But, in this edition, Deaver creates a frightening vision of life in an information society. Strategic Systems DataCorp and its enigmatic founder, Andrew Sterling, are pioneers in the developing field of data mining. Tens of thousands of pieces of information ...more
Andy
This gets 3 stars with reservations. I mostly liked it because it's been ages since I've read any Jeffery Deaver and I enjoy his Lincoln Rhyme books. I moved onto him years back after James Patterson/Alex Cross started to leave me dissatisfied (the first two were great but churning out a book a month really affects quality). Deaver has always managed a complicated plot, depth and detail. But...

On this occasion, it's all hacking, cyber crime and identity theft. And some hoarding. Strong start but
April
3.5

I realized after I started this yesterday that I had already read it, but since I was already on BART I went ahead and read it again! It seems with very successful authors, their editors let them fall into one of two traps. There are the James Patterson/Dean Koontz types where they take a tiny idea, use large print and stretched formatting to stretch it into something that looks like a book, and never stop to notice if there's actually any story there. In the other camp fall people like Steve
Y K
I've never read any other works written by Jeffery Deaver so I can't compare, yet I find his writing style in this book wanting. The vocabulary is limited, the sentences appear forced and the dialog is not natural.

Also, this title includes a fair amount of computer and data management technology descriptions, yet the level of technical savvy is geared at an audience that is mostly unfamiliar with the subject which makes its depth seem miserably shallow and at times inaccurate. As a person with
Raza Syed
Probably one of my favorite Lincoln Rhymes Books. The (Ab)use of our personal data by a Predator to track, hurt, set up and / or kill us is creepy. This killer's absolute understanding and control of Data makes him "The Man Who Knows Everything" and a Extremely Dangerous Foe. He becomes a clear and present danger to not only his victims but also to his hunters. He can disrupt their lives by a few keystrokes - he turned off the power at Lincoln's home, he got their properties seized, their citize ...more
Bella Grewal
Boken handlar om ett samhälle där allt du gör registreras i en gigantisk databas. Vad du handlar, var du är, med vem du är och vilka som finns runt omkring dig. Precis allt. Denna information används sedan till att förutsäga hur olika människor kommer att agera i olika situationer. I mördarens händer är informationen en guldkälla. Personen kan hitta dig var du än befinner dig och kan dessutom förstöra ditt liv utan minsta problem.
Lincoln Rhyme, huvudpersonen, är förlamad från axlarna och ned. H
Diane
I really enjoyed this Lincoln Rhyme book! It is a little scary to think that everything that we do and say can actually let someone know what we are even thinking... by our habits, and all that we do. I really enjoy reading how Lincoln's mind works. It makes you want to try to out-think him... but, it will never happen in my case! Great Book!
Òphiere editoriale
Sì, veramente bello. Grande carrellata di personaggi. Dal barbone/dottore derubato dell'identità, al Dio dei Dati, al fantastico Rhime... Grandi personaggi, forse troppi.
Meccanismo a orologeria, onestà nel patto narrativo. Il lettore ha i dati per sapere chi è l'assassino fin dal primo interrogatorio dei dirigenti di Grey Rock. E questo grazie al fatto che il lettore ha una finestra in più sui delitti: le elucubrazioni mentali del killer. Qui dunque non accade che il lettore, in possesso delle m
Idenity Theft leads to murder 8 56 Sep 25, 2013 12:28PM
Jeffery Deaver Fans: Order of books 5 18 Jun 21, 2013 07:02AM
  • Killer Heat (Alexandra Cooper, #10)
  • Phantom Prey (Lucas Davenport, #18)
  • The Reapers (Charlie Parker, #7)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • Monster (Alex Delaware, #13)
  • Written in Bone (David Hunter, #2)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10)
  • Fractured (Will Trent, #2)
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro ...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1) The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2) The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3) The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5) The Sleeping Doll (Kathryn Dance, #1)