Start by marking “Give First Place to Murder” as Want to Read:
Give First Place to Murder

Give First Place to Murder (Ellen McKenzie #2)

Murder at a small county fair Arabian horse show? Not possible. But Ellen McKenzie is staring at the body of a young groom, pinned to a hay bale by a pitchfork. Who could have wanted him dead? It seems several people, and they are all connected to the show barn where Ellen's daughter has taken a summer job. Worried that somehow Susannah might be in danger, Ellen starts ask ...more
Published July 26th 2004 by PublishAmerica (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Give First Place to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give First Place to Murder

Annette
Oct 27, 2013 Annette rated it it was ok
I read the first book in the series and loved it so much I read this one immediately. I am very disappointed.

Ellie has moved back to her small home town after a divorce. She is living in what was formerly her parent's home and working in real estate.
Her college age daughter Susannah is with her a part of the time when she is home from school. And the police chief Dan, is her significant other.

This book involves horses and horse showing and I found that part of it very interesting.

Ellie walks int
Lbousson
Nov 23, 2015 Lbousson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I started to read this book, and realized I had read it before.

It could be catalogued as a Christian Mystery, because it has overtones of that. It was a pleasant enough read, though. It does contain contemporary themes: drug use and selling, (specifically meth.) This is a very contemporary theme, and I did appreciate that the author took this theme and made a story out of it.

I honestly didn't particularly care for the characters. I thought Ellie seemed a bit to overprotective and it bothered me
LLona Cunningham
Oct 02, 2013 LLona Cunningham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Protagonist Ellen feels real enough as she interacts with the cop-boyfriend she's keeping at a distance for a while to stall the usual commitment, and with her grown daughter whom she obviously respects, but still feels the motherly urges when danger is present. Dealing with the horse show set was very good, highlighting some information that isn't common knowledge. This is especially true about the valuable mare suffering colic -- explaining the facts to protagonist Ellen allows the reader to u ...more
Neeka
Feb 10, 2013 Neeka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kathleen-delaney
Horses, meth, murderer, and mention of my hometown throughout the book? I enjoyed this book a lot! Most young girls go through a "horse crazy" phase and I was one of those. Add a story with horses and throw in murder and dealing/ smuggling meth - makes for a very interesting afternoon read. Then start mentioning San Luis Obispo - even a slight mention in a sentence - home... a place I haven't been in so long, you aren't going to get a bad review from me.
This was a good book. The story was fun to
Nuala Raftery
Apr 18, 2013 Nuala Raftery rated it did not like it
This series started off well, with Dying for a Change. The characters were interesting and likeable, the setting pleasant. However, book two in the series is a poor imitation of the Nancy Drew books. It is quite obvious from early on who the criminals are, the heroine is a busybody with an IQ in single figures. She can't even work out who her mysterious pirate is. Unfortunately, I downloaded the rest of the series before I read this so I'll read them, though reluctantly.
Patricia Gligor
Apr 17, 2014 Patricia Gligor rated it it was amazing
"Give First Place to Murder" by Kathleen Delaney is the third Ellen McKenzie novel I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love getting to know the characters in a series and following their lives. Ms. Delaney has created a wonderful cast of characters and, as always, has placed them in the middle of an intriguing mystery. I highly recommend this book!
Judith Cotcher
Judith Cotcher rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2014
pcb
pcb rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Patricia Mccammon
Patricia Mccammon rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Allison Kohn
Allison Kohn rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
Winterfan
Winterfan rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Joannie
Joannie rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Lillian Huffman
Lillian Huffman rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Dawn Dowdle
Dawn Dowdle rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2011
Harlequin Books
Category: Mystery
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Quilterin
Quilterin rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Erin Sorrels
Erin Sorrels rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Jill Gross
Jill Gross rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Ember
Ember rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Mary Chamberlain
Mary Chamberlain rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2014
Linda Hurst
Linda Hurst rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Natasha Jackson
Natasha Jackson rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Donna Barney
Donna Barney rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Adaela Dostal
Adaela Dostal rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Jessica Harlow
Jessica Harlow rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Songstress7
Songstress7 rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Kim Hassey
Kim Hassey rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Stacey Gibson
Stacey Gibson rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Kathleen Delaney has recently moved from CA to S Carolina to write full time. She found a wonderful old historic house with a wonderful wrap around porch, which both she and her dogs put to good use. She will be on tour during August, Sept and October, signing her latest myster, And Murder For Dessert. "
More about Kathleen Delaney...

Ellen McKenzie (5 books)