The Year of the Intern

The Year of the Intern

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  908 ratings  ·  54 reviews
" - Dr. Peters, o doente deixou de respirar e não lhe sinto o pulso!"
A voz da enfermeira ao telefone soava desesperada, mas o jovem Dr. Peters, nas primeiras semanas do seu internato, não se lembrava já da última vez em que dormira. Sabia, no entanto, que nas próximas horas teria de tomar decisões de vida ou de morte em relação aos seus pacientes...
Published September 1st 1973 by Signet (first published 1972)

☠ Daniel
Como bien lo dice el Dr. Cook, el Dr. interno Peters no es un médico interno en particular sino que es la mayoría de los médicos internos y con un poco de suerte el 100%.

El Dr. interno Peters tiene que sobrevivir un año de intenso trabajo mal remunerado con pocas herramientas a su disposición y grandes obstáculos que vienen en las más caprichosas presentaciones: cirujanos ególatras, médicos adscritos "a la antigüita", pacientes problemáticos y tercos. De cualquier modo su internado en Hawai le p...more
Smitha
It was a nostalgic read. I remembered my internship completed a decade and a half ago. Peter starts as a new surgery intern who is wrought out by the day to day problems of surgical ICU and trauma care centres with hoards of surgeries, dressings, sutures etc. piling up, faster than he can finish them. He is too exhausted even to think about his work. He has to deal with life threatening situations, mostly alone, with minimal help from superiors. How he survives the year of internship and emerges...more
Kirstin
I think this one earned only two stars because of mismanaged expectations. I pick up a Robin Cook and I expect a medical thriller. I kept reading and reading waiting for the story to pick up but the torrent of medical stories kept coming and coming. I finally flipped over to the back cover and realized that this is really a precursor to the medical blog and not a thriller at all. Some of the medical stories were interesting but there was a bit of repetition of ideas and I really could have done...more
Lloyd
Technically a fiction book, but in the introduction, Cook says that most of the chronicles of the year of protagonist Dr. Peters' internship were actual experiences of him and his friends.

This book deftly shows us in one fell swoop how unsure some medical practices are and how absolutely doggedly young interns must press on through their first year before becoming residents.

It's all at once frightening, compelling, and educational. Cook doesn't curb the medical lingo, but still keeps it readable...more
Susana
Me gustó este libro porque retrata el sentir, los temores, los sueños de los jóvenes futuros médicos. Sin embargo, el "sistema" acaba por destruir los ideales que esos jóvenes tienen y van cayendo todos en la "mediocridad" por así decirlo. Por otro lado, ahora comprendo más la forma de ser de ciertos médicos (no todos son iguales)a quienes uno considera algo inhumanos, pero hay que ponerse en los zapatos de ellos: tampoco pueden estar cargando con los problemas de todos y cada uno de sus pacient...more
Gretchen Stokes
Essential to understand the brain and personality change that is part of becoming a MD.
Miguel Soto
Hace tiempo que no leía un libro más o menos contemporáneo y que lograra emocionarme. Este librito lo logró, desde el principio me enganché con la historia y no pude parar de leerlo. Las experiencias del protagonista consiguieron que modificara (un poco) mi idea sobre los médicos, ahora creo entender en cierta medida las actitudes que uno encuentra entre los representantes de su profesión.

Por otra parte, esta lectura también me permitió cuestionarme sobre las vicisitudes de la formación del psic...more
Shonali
Summary of the book : Silas Marner , a wrongly accused weaver makes a new home for himself at Raveloe and comes to acquire a small fortune which he guards very dearly. When he gets robbed of his treasure he feels that nothing good can ever happen in his life. Until a little girl with golden hair ends up on his door step. The girl whom he names Eppie becomes the centre of his life only to be brought face to face with a reality that threatens to take Eppie out of his life.

Things I liked about this...more
Vicki G
If you work in allied health care, this book brings back memories of what doing clinical interns was like.
I'm not a doctor but, as a paramedic, you have to have a certain number of hours working w/ actual patients before you're allowed to get your license.
You have to work in both the emergency room and the operating room, mostly as an observer, but you have to intubate patients who are under anesthesia.
That was my favorite kind of patient as an intern, b/c everybody was too afraid to let me do a...more
The Year of the Intern reads like a non-fiction memoir-like account of a medical intern. It focuses on the dull, day to day life of an intern that we've all seen countless times on medical television shows like ER. Robin Cook fans are used to his fast-paced thrillers and this early book is nothing like his more recent novels.

The Year of the Intern looks at the stressful and exhausting job a surgical intern has. The book focuses on Dr. Peters' fear and his grief at the loss of patients. It's disc...more
Crosby
I became a Robin Cook fan when a former student who was the wife of a local physician suggested I read "Mutation" many years ago. I did and it was and is one of my favorite science fiction books. Year of the Intern is one of his oldest books. He is a physician and wrote this book in a semi-autobiographical manner describing the internship year of a medical doctor back when the 80 hours per week limit was not in place. It is a book full of the medical experiences of a first year physician and pul...more
Barbra
Back Cover Blurb:
'Dr Peters, the patient has stopped breathing and doesn't have a pulse!'
The nurse's voice on the phone is desperate, but young Dr Peters, in his first weeks of internship, is only bonetired and a little afraid. He has forgotten when he last slept. Yet he knows that in the coming hours he will have to make life-or-death decisions regarding patients, assist contemptuous surgeons in the operating room, deal with nurses who may know more than he does, cope with worried relatives and...more
Roberta
I read Cook's medical thrillers, and I like them. As many others around here I was surprised to learn that his first book is more of a memoir.
Peters live through his intern year in a way less fashionable than his colleagues in Greys' Anatomy, but the story is much more interesting. TV is presenting us young wannabes full of stamina, and passion, and motivation, no matter how many hours of sleep they get at night. This intern, however, needs to sleep. He needs to shave. He needs to keeps his hea...more
James
Things that I liked: that it was preachy, that it was flat and lifeless in keeping with its theme
Things I didn't like: not much, actually, although I didn't exactly love it

It's interesting that the book is flat and lifeless, that the character of the doctor is flat and lifeless, because this book is semi-autobiographical. It seems like the process of becoming an MD could make you that kind of writer.

What can a year do to a person?

The last part of the book, the preachiest part, was fascinating. T...more
Sarah Jowett
Even though it's dated, this is Robin Cook's fabulous first book. Although the main character is a work of fiction, he is admittedly a mix of the author's own experiences in medical school and internship as well as other medical student's experiences.

A brutal look at the medical teaching environment outside of the classroom, when an intern with little practical knowledge and training is left to field 100+ patients over a 24 hr shift, I would love to know how, or if, anything has changed since th...more
Jane
I like hospital shows, so I was a sucker for this book. It provides and interest look into the mind of an intern, making realize that doctors don't know as much as we think they know and they don't care as much as we think they care. Also interesting is that this book was published in 1972, but a new intern at the end of the book complains about what's wrong with the health care system and then proceeds to outline a plan surprisingly similar to Barack Obama's. Hmmmm.
Keshav Jindal
Well, i just finished my internship a few days ago.(Hopefully). What i think makes this a great book is the truth it still holds in the present scenario. The questions asked in the end by Mr. Cook were worth pondering upon. What stops me from giving it 5 stars, is because of the fact that the dilemmas he faces are not presented in full view. It could have been presented in a better way. Still, a must read for every medical intern, and a good read for others.
Sadie
I read this while still in high school, since I already knew I wanted to be a doctor. After reading this book, I was still unfazed and knew that I wanted those 36 hour shifts and craziness of all the internships. For the typical person, I would still probably rate this a 4 star book - just so that you can better understand where your doctor is coming from and why he deserves to get paid as much as he does...
Diego Escudero Graver
OK... Peters era un medi estudiante empezando su internado con sueños ilusiones y el sistema lo corrompió, historia que ya he escuchado antes, y seguramente es verdad.Parte pensando en los pacientes y termina saliendo pensando en que auto comprarse :P
Me imagino que no debe estar muy alejado de esta época (el libro igual tiene sus años) y de donde vivo (aunque grite a gringo el libro).
grellian
Shows the lifestyle of an intern, as he undergoes a shocking transformation from a sympathetic and attentive student fresh out of med school to a cynical and egotistical piece of work. The novel has an autobiographical feel to it and is definitely different from Cook's medical thrillers. If you're interested in the medical profession, I suppose it may give you an interesting perspective.
Hollowman
Mostly accurate and realistic account of internship.

After Cook began practicing, not sure he'd have the guts to write so honestly and openly about his profession. The 1st-person narrative works well. The structure is clunky with very long segments w/o chap. breaks. The text should be more-extensively demarcated and better organized.
IAC ...
Cook's best book, IMO.
Sheldon Lehman
It wasn't bad, but then not everyone will have the endurance for this book. It is not a story per se, more like a chronology of an intern's life, basically 4 days lifted out a journal where EVERYTHING that happened is recorded. You will learn lots of medical terms and procedures, so if you are into that sort of thing you will find this book interesting.
Thomas Roth
It is frightening to see how careless medical treatment can be to the patient in a hospital. The book is fraught with medical jargon that is completely foreign to the lay person. It also is enlightening to see how little anything has changed is the 40 odd years since this was written. Same complaints about federal this, medicare that.
Maria
Very technical read! You have to really enjoy reading about medicine to enjoy this book. That is the reason it is so hard to get "absorbed" in this book. The end talks a lot about the health care political issues that we are facing today, even tho it was written in 1972! Interesting!
Sara
Interesting...
kind of scary, rather.
He was a surgical intern (most difficult kind of intern) in a non-teaching hospital (he basically did nothing the entire year).
He certainly did not cut corners and coddle the reader.
It was very blunt. Mildly obtuse, even.
I'm not sure I suggest it.
Silva Rivas
I expected more action. I mean i loved the way he described how annoying things were sometimes but i think the parts where it had to get to the climax were not enough surprising as they could have been. Other than that, it really helps you to have med student perspective on things.
Lindsay Michael
I can relate to this book so much on the level of being a med student. Opened my eyes to the harsh reality of some of the things we say and do on a daily basis. Interesting account of being an intern in medicine! Glad I don't have to deal with some of the stuff they did back in the day.
BoekenTrol
Despite the fact that this is not a real medical thriller, I liked the book because of the description it gave of the life of an intern.
Can't help it, but I keep thinking 'how on earth is that possible', 'it won't be so bad here, will it'?
Lynn Kay Vogt
Vintage Robin Cook, from 1972... the story of the first year of an intern. Very candid and straightforward about what really goes on in the head of a young medical student. Enlightening ideas on our medical system as a whole.
Benjie Obera
If you're expecting to read another Robin Cook page-turner with this book, then think again. You will only be able to appreciate the babbles if you've gone through some internship yourself, one way or another.
  • The Sisterhood
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home
  • Round the Bend
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • Harvest / Life Support
  • A Not Entirely Benign Procedure: Four Years As A Medical Student
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Devoured
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Absorbed
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion