Start by marking “47 Ronin” as Want to Read:
47 Ronin

47 Ronin

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  46 reviews
ONIX Description
From ancient Japan's most enduring tale, the epic 3D fantasy-adventure 47 Ronin is born. Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of the 47 Ronin. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warri
Published November 26th 2013 by Tor Books (first published October 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 47 Ronin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 47 Ronin

Anna
"I will search for you through a thousand worlds and ten thousand lifetimes until I find you."

Wow. First thing to mention is, that I hate how long it took me to read this book! I should never again start reading a book during exams, because at times it was so hard not to reach for it and read something I needed to read for school.

Well... this was such an amazing book! I've always been kind of mesmerized by Japan and the different culture, traditions and history and all of those elements meet in
Christina
The book is a novelization of a screenplay for the movie. Normally, that would not have intrigued me - especially since the movie got such bad reviews - but the story seemed so interesting I wanted to give it a go.
It is the story of 47 leaderless samurai (Ronin), who vow to seek vengeance and restore honor to their people. Apparently, this is based on a true story that took place in Japan circa 1680.

This book took me forever to read..not sure why. I liked the writing style and the story kept my
Steven
Despite its flaws, it was a good tale and moving. I am not a fantasy fan, but there was not an overwhelming amount. This was the classic tale of the 47 ronin with a half breed, a witch, and demons added to the conflict. The love story was touching at times, and the character development interesting. Overall, very good.
Linda
The movie 47 Ronin is coming out on Christmas Day. The trailer looks very interesting. I see the paperback novelization in the store and think "Why not? Maybe this will help me decide."

It did. I'm going and probably on Christmas Day.

First of all, the trailer promised super special effects. The book, since it is based on the movie, shows us what those will be. A couple of them will be fantastic monsters which usually clinches a show for me, ever since Aliens came out.

But, amazingly, the story is
Sheldon Wiebe
I haven't seen the movie (everyone I know who's seen it either loved it or loathed it), but when Joan D. Vinge adapts a movie, you can count on it being a good read.

Such is the case here.

47 Ronin is based on a historical event in which a Japanese lord was shamed by a wily, but cowardly favorite of the Shogun manipulated him into a situation that required he commit seppuku.

A group of his men, all samurai, vowed to extract vengeance on that lord and restore justice for their late lord's honor - de
Vampka
This was a huge, huge surprise. I finished it in less than two days. (This might contains spoilers.)

I saw the movie years ago, and despite the not so positive reviews and critics, I liked the movie but it wasn't the best I've ever seen, that's true. But this book? Damn. This is seriously the best book-from-movie book I've ever read, and I read some. I go even further: it's not just a reversed adaptation, no, this book is great as it is. You can forget the movie and the screenplay and everything.
Agnitio Lector
Brilliant new take on the story and legacy of the 47 Ronin. I'm very familiar with the actual events the 47 Ronin partook in. This new story takes the heart of the story and adds new dimensions to it. It's a fascinating to read as the story unfolds.
Kenneth
wow! Beautifully narrated. It will be interesting to see if the movie will do the book justice.
Lidia
I really liked this book. There is everything that you will want from a fantazy - thrill, love, adventure, sacrifice. The book describes the Japon's culture really well, exspecially the one of samurais. I have learned a lot about their ways, their believes and all about their courage.

I will definetely watch the movie to see if what I have read, it's the same as the book. Because this is a book based on the movie. Usually it's the opposite. Thhe book has a great quality, well-written, well-descr
Rebecca Knight
Loved it! Great book, great novelization of the movie, and way better than the movie. The author goes in to detail with cultural details about the warrior society that blaze by in the movie. Especially the scene on the Dutch island, that is well done and put into historical context. Also, she goes in to depth about the mythological creatures, beliefs, and witchy things that happen in the movie. Good writing, her magical take on it all makes for a fast, fun read.
James
I couldn't quite give it a 4 but anyone who actually enjoyed this novel should see the film "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise. I don't make this recommendation lightly as this may be the best Tom movie ever made and work with the Katana and Bokken has been marvelously choreographed. The novel 47 Ronin is based on fact although everything between the first a last few pages is mostly fantasy. That is always a problem when Hollywood gets its dirty fingers on history. I did enjoy the use of Bushido ...more
Pat
While not usually a fan of screenplay to novel adaptations, under the deft hand of "one of the reigning queens of science fiction", Joan D. Vinge, this one works. 47 Ronin, a tale of chivalry and romance, is set in Shogun Japan at the turn of the 18th century. There is a careful blending of history and the supernatural reminiscent of the English Arthur and the Round Table; as Arthur is to England the 47 Ronin is to Japan. I will admit that I have not seen the movie, yet, but as an extension of i ...more
Silence
I picked this book up at Publix while we were at Florida and finished it during our stay there. I knew absolutely nothing going in as I hadn't seen the movie, only the trailer. However, as soon as I started reading my reaction was "holy cow I can't pronounce any of these names" so my friend and I rented the movie and watched.

The ending was not what I was expecting.

I know the entire movie/book led you up to it but I still didn't expect it.

Now, I enjoyed the movie but the book... I loved it. In
Aerien
Amikor az eredetit olvastam, nagyon megfogott a roninok története. Alig vártam, hogy ezt is olvashassam. Picit mást volt, mint amire gondoltam, de ugyan úgy megszerettem és elvarázsolt. Alig várom, hogy megnézhessem a filmet, hogy lássam ezt a történetet, hogyan dolgozták fel.
Swetalina Chowdhury
Its an aweeeeeeeosooooome book. i was double minded buying this book since it was the novelized version of the movie but it was worth every single penny. since the day i have started reading it i can't keep it down. when i read it , i can easily imagine the samurai era, the passionate love between Kai and Mika Hime.. i didn't know much about 47 ronin before. but this book is has definitely kept me hooked in.
its an ideal combination of fantasy, magic, demon, love and the SAMURAIs..

a 100% must re
Mike
Stopped halfway, which I never do. All the characters were incredibly stereotypical and the story was totally predictable. This could be the one time where the movie is better than the book
Island
I think I would have enjoyed this book even much more if I hadn't seen the movie first. It's not just a screenplay adapted to novel, but a novel in its own right. Not just well-written but also faithfully conveys both the style and the dynamics of movie giving some additional depth to the characters and their motivation. It lacks a little bit only in the regard of descriptions since they can not give you the same experience as the breathtaking special effects (and especially those vibrant colors ...more
Pringadi Abdi
Baru nonton filmnya dan beranggapan bukunya jauh lebih cool dari filmnya. Jauh lebih khidmat membaca bukunya.
CathyD
Excellent entertainment. I did not like the ending. Is there anyone else out there who agrees?
Cliff Winnig
Joan D. Vinge turns her brilliant world-building skills and gift for nuanced characterization to a mythical version of Tokugawa Japan. Although billed as a novelization of the movie, this book is so much more. It gives the reader lots of extra scenes with really interesting details. Without skimping on the action, Vinge adds subtle character details and interactions. If you saw the movie and want to know more about this world, this book will give you that. If you haven't seen the movie, the nove ...more
Jason Brewer
Great tale, my son actually helped peeked my interest because of the movie coming out.
What really sealed the deal for me is actually the last chapter in this story really paints a great picture of life and honor , I just know you can not get from the big screen :)
Manh Dat
V tomto případě potvrzuje často opakovanou frázi "rozhodně lepší než film"
Paul Tshagharyan
"Ակոյի վրեժի" մասին ամենահաջողված գրքերից մեկն է: Պատմական անցքերին հեքիաթային տարրերի ձուլումը լավ չեմ մարսում, բայց մի կերպ դիմացա :)
Shawn Kass
I enjoyed the underdog story and the honor of old world Japan
Joprano
In my opinion, this is a book the reader can relate to one or more of the characters.
Amber
I greatly enjoyed this book adaption of the movie 47 Ronin. The writing style perfectly complimented the period setting and plot.

You really get more insight into the characters and into Kai's frustration at his social standing here in this book.

Some events are different here then in the book. It wasn't good or bad to me just mildly interesting at best.

I tend to be very suspicious of book adaptions based off of movies but this was really well done and a great book to read for fans of Japanese the
M Grant
Well written adaptation of the movie, the author didn't phone this one in with a rehash of the plot, she delves into the story and characters and history of post-Feudal Japan as it adapts to Western influence and the end of Bushido in a well thought out, well written manner. Honestly, I am sorry this was a movie first, this book was really good.
Eric Seidlitz
I enjoyed the character development but there was too much fantasy/mythology for my liking. Story was great and kept up a good pace until the ending - a bit dragged out. Worth the read if you are interested in anything Japanese.
Greg
Save yourself time and just watch the movie. Is pretty much a identical copy
Pradeep Badatiya
Good story of brave people with sharp aim.
  • Untitled (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Untitled (The Others, #5)
  • In Search of Lost Dragons
  • The Outliers
  • Untitled (Spirit and Thieves #3)
  • A Faraway Land
  • In the Land of Magnanthia (Portals, Passages & Pathways #1)
  • Prince of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Blood of the Dragon
  • Aces Wild (Sin City Collectors #1)
  • Imaginary Friends
  • The Shadow Hour (The Girl at Midnight #2)
  • Great Sky Woman (Great Sky Woman, #1)
  • Killer In The Pool
  • Unspeakable: Book 1
  • Untitled (A Darker Shade of Magic, #3)
  • The Braided Path (The Braided Path, #1-3)
  • X-Men 2
Joan D. Vinge (born Joan Carol Dennison) is an American science fiction author. She is known for such works as her Hugo Award-winning novel The Snow Queen and its sequels, her series about the telepath named Cat, and her Heaven's Chronicles books.
More about Joan D. Vinge...
The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1) The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3) Catspaw (Cat, #2) Psion (Cat, #1) Ladyhawke

“A szépsége még mindig ugyanúgy lenyűgözte Kait, mint fiúkorában, bár nem a ruhái élénk színe, és ne is gyönyörű finoman metszett arca ejtette rabul a szívét, olyan szerelmet ébresztve benne, amely aztán évekig életben tartotta őt - hanem az, amit azonnal meglátott a szemében, amikor először találkozott a tekintetük: hogy egy öreg lélek felismer egy másikat.” 1 likes
“- Ezer világon és tízezer életen át is kereslek majd, amíg meg nem talállak.
- Én pedig várok majd rá, minden világban és minden életben...”
1 likes