Start by marking “The Hallo-Wiener” as Want to Read:
The Hallo-Wiener

The Hallo-Wiener

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,709 ratings  ·  164 reviews
Oscar is short, like all dachshunds, and all the other dogs make fun of him. On Halloween he takes more ridicule than ever in his hot-dog costume, but one brave act makes him a Grade-A hero.
Published September 1st 1999 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hallo-Wiener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hallo-Wiener

Michelle
A great tale to teach friendship & bullying to primary students, The Hallo-wiener could also be used in the classroom to teach how illustrations can help you understand the text. This non-scary Halloween-themed book is appropriate for ages 4 and up, and I would recommend it for school and home libraries.
Mary Ann
All the other neighborhood dogs tease Oscar, a little dachshund who is “half-a-dog tall and one-and-a-half dogs long.” It doesn’t help that Oscar’s mother showers him with public affection, calling him “my little Vienna sausage." On Halloween, Oscar is embarrassed by the costume his mother has made – a full hot dog bun, with Oscar as the wiener dog – but he wears it because he doesn’t want to hurt his mother’s feelings. Slowed down by his costume, Oscar can’t keep up with all the other dogs. But ...more
Brenda
Sep 28, 2010 Brenda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Children's Book group: Autumn/Halloween books
Shelves: picture-books
Oscar is an adorable dachshund who dreams of Halloween, trick-or-treating and scary costumes. He even wears a "hot-dog bun costume complete with mustard" because he does not want to hurt his mothers feelings. Oscar even has to deal with some other dogs that make fun of and embarrass him. The dogs even go so far as to take all of the candy before Oscar even has a chance to get any. Yet, when the dogs jump into the pond in order to escape a spooky monster, Oscar is the one who comes to the their c ...more
Kenny
I have always loved Dav Pilkey's books, including his Captain Underpant's series. The Hallo-wiener is a wonderful short story that combines humor and a life long lesson: to treat your friends nicely because they can ultimately help you in dire situations. The protagonist, a wiener dog wears a hilarious hot dog costume for halloween, resulting in other dogs making fun of him. However, when the dogs are trapped in a lake, the wiener dog rescues them. He then becomes their friend forever. I recomme ...more
Aaron Siclovan
This story is about a wiener dog named Oscar, who was half-a-dog tall and one-and-a- half dog long. All of the other dogs made fun of Oscar because of his unusual size. Even his mother made up names for him such as "Vienna Sausage" and "Sausage Link." At obedience school, Oscar was thinking of a scary costume that he could wear for Halloween, but to his dismay his mother's gift was a hot-dog costume complete with mustard. To please his mother, Oscar went trick-or-treating in his costume, despite ...more
Marilyn
This book was published September 1, 1995. It centres around an adorable little dachshund named Oscar, named after Oscar Mayer. Because he is short and different from the other dogs in his neighbourhood he becomes the brunt of teasing and jokes. Even his mother adds to his misery by calling him her, "Vienna sausage."

He knows that Hallowe'en is fast approaching and he dreams of wearing a scary, empowering costume out trick or treating with the rest of the pack. Alas it is not to be. When he arri
Stacey Orlando
There was a dog named Oscar, he was a short dog but he was also very long. All the dogs made fun of him but he was not shaped like the other dogs. Oscar’s mom even made fun of him when he left for school. Today is Halloween and Oscar could not wait to trick-or-treat. He hurried home so that he could make his scary costume. The mother made him a new costume. It was a huge hot dog that had mustard on it. Everyone looked scary but Oscar just looked like a little hot dog. All the dogs were making fu ...more
Jackie
Oscar was always being teased by the other dogs for being short and long. Even his mother made things difficult by calling him, " My Little Vienna Sausage". Yup, being a dachshund can have some disadvantages, indeed.

Halloween approaches, his mother gets him a hot dog costume. Oscar is embarrassed, but not wanting to hurt his mother's feelings, he wears it. Who knew that a non-frightening, silly costume would save the day in the end, and make a hero (sandwich) out of Oscar?

The Hallo-Wiener is a
Christiana
Hot dog jokes. This book is a wiener.
Cara
I liked the hot dog puns.
Nicole
This book is very cute and clever. It is all about a wiener dog named Oscar who is constantly made fun of from all the other dogs because of his unique shape and size. Oscar was nothing like the other dogs because he was half a dog tall and one and a half dogs long. However, the mean dogs were not affecting Oscar today because today was Halloween and he had all kinds of ideas in mind of what to be. His mother had a wonderful Halloween costume waiting for him when he got home and it was a giant h ...more
Emily Madill
The Hallo-Wiener is a Halloween classic and another favorite on our bookshelf. Oscar the dog was half-a-dog tall and one-and-a half dogs long. He was forever being teased and taunted by his fellow dogmates for being a "wiener dog" and different from the group. When Halloween arrived, Oscar desperately wanted a scary costume so he could fit in and be 'just like the other dogs'. However, his Mom who didn't make matters better for Oscar by affectionately calling him "her Vienna sausage", and"darlin ...more
Cheyenne Vieira
Dav Pilkey did a great job making a wiener dog halloween children's book. This book is filled with messages about bullying and also with some hilarious wiener dog puns. The main character is always being teased by the other dogs because of the type of dog he is, but he ends up saving the day and gaining the respect of the other dogs. Pilkey's Van Gogh inspired illustrations are great and kid friendly. This is a great story to read out loud to children during the halloween season.
This book is adorable. It is the perfect mix between a Halloween story and a lesson. Every kids wants to be cool in school and have the best costume for Trick or Treating. Hallo-Wiener is a tale of a brave little pup that stands up to his bullies and does not let them ruin his Halloween. He is kind and respects his parents, so he is a good role model for children. It is a cute tale that is prefect to tell to a group of children just before Halloween.
Stacy Turco
This is a cute Halloween book to share with kids as it shows that its not nice to bully someone for looking different. Hallo- Weiner is cute how a wiener dog that is dressed up as a hot dog. The cats scared the dogs into the water and the dogs didn't bully the wiener dog again because he saved them from the water. Dave Pilkey shows that bullying is not good and the ones who get bullied are the ones that come out on top when the others need help.
Eden
Oscar is not like the other dogs, he's long and they make fun of him for it. They call him a wiener dog. What makes it even worse is on Halloween, his mom gets him a hot dog bun as a costume. What can he do to get acceptance from the other dogs?

I felt bad for Oscar. The other dogs made fun of him, but the ending was nice, and they didn't call him wiener dog anymore.
Ericka
Such a cute story and Oscar is such a good pup! It shows how good behavior can be rewarded and a kid with sharp eyes will be rewarded with visual jokes. David Pilkey is an excellent children's author and has ways of getting all sorts of children to read.
Dijon Chiasson
This was a very cute Halloween story that has application outside of Halloween with its themes of bullying and fitting in. Dachshunds are just funny, and Pilkey exploits this to great effect. When the mom calls him "my little Vienna sausage", kids will lose their shit.
Laura Madsen
THE HALLO-WIENER is my all-time-favorite children’s book of any genre. I’ve bought this book for a number of friends with small children, and will soon need to replace my own bedraggled copy. Oscar is a wiener dog who is “half-a-dog tall and one-and-a-half dogs long.” All the other dogs tease him, and the teasing gets even worse when his mom makes him a hotdog costume for Halloween. He tags along behind his friends on Halloween night, embarrassed by his costume. The other dogs are spooked by a m ...more
Scott Eisen
Benjamin my 3 year old loves this book. It is an appropriate amount of scariness fun and teaching good values. We have read it every night now for a week. I foresee reading it every night through Halloween and maybe beyond.
Heidi
This is great. The story and pictures are adorable. But there are only a few who know why I really love this book. :-)

9/17/08: This will work great for a story time! Though the text is not much per page and it isn't all that long, I think the age group would get some of the jokes. And as I have an attachment to this book, I'd love to use it!

10/31/12 & 11/1/12: Used to open my Halloween preschool theme. A few jokes that neither group got, which I expected. But they followed the story well. An
Annemarie
Oct 25, 2014 Annemarie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of small children, Dachshund owners
Totally cute Halloween book for children. It's funny, and teaches children not to be mean to those who are different. I read it because I own a Dachshund, and the main character is a hero dachshund named Oscar.
Erin
This is the best kids book I've read in a while. All of the "wiener" references in their various forms made me laugh out loud. Loved it---probably due to the fact that wiener dogs are awesome!!!!
Emily
Hallo-Wiener is so great! I love that while it's cute and silly, it also touches on deeper issues like teasing, inconsideration and bullying. I can't wait to read it to our littles!
Amy Fretz
This book is very cute! It is about a wiener dog who is made fun of by his neighborhood dogs for being so short and long. For Halloween he was a hot dog and because of his costume, he fell behind the pack. When he finally caught up with them, the dogs had jumped into the lake to get away from the scary Halloween monster. The wiener dog realizes that the monster is really not a monster and unveils the cats that are in the costume. He saves the day and rescues the dogs using his costume as a float ...more
Shannon Janik
“The Hallo-Wiener” by Dav Pilkey is an adorable story about a wiener dog that is struggling with his self-image. The poor little dog gets make fun of relentlessly until finally one day he saves the day! This story has many little puns that are fun for the one reading the book. Often in children’s books the adult reader may be bored with the juvenile content but I found myself laughing out loud because of this book. Especially when they made hotdog jokes about poor Oscar looking quite “frank”. Th ...more
Alana
I don't know what your classic Halloween book was, but in my house, it was The Hallo-wiener. This is a fantastic story about a dachshund whose mom makes him a Halloween costume... and much to his mortification, it turns out to be a costume that turns him into a giant hot dog. Because he loves his mom, he wears the costume, even though all the other dogs make fun of him... that is, until the Hallo-wiener and his hot dog costume are given the chance to save the day!
I gave this to my godson, but re
Amy Brown
I can't believe I never read this book before now. After handling it for years at the library, I finally read the story. It is fantastic! Thank you, Sarah Weaver! :)
Melissa Kasso
Cute and clever, but not over the top funny. Could be used for Halloween and to develop dialog about friendship and bullying.
Kirei
Funny! His mom buys him an embarrassing Halloween costume, but in the end Halloweiner saves the day.
Halloween lovers group... 1 4 Aug 03, 2009 01:31PM
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody
  • The Watermelon Seed
  • The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (The Dumb Bunnies, #2)
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2) The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4) Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets (Captain Underpants, #6)