Across Realtime

Across Realtime (Across Realtime #1-2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,472 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Book club edition containing The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime (10384).
Published 1986 by Nelson Doubleday

AJ Slater
This is two related SciFi novels published together. The first, _The_Peace_War_ is a fairly standard Heinlenesque smart-boy-makes-good nerd fantasy. Nothing revelatory.

The second, _Marooned_In_Realtime_ is a fantastic look at what can happen in a world with one way (forward) time travel. This is why I picked up Vinge again, for creative, giant scale sci fi. People can travel to the stars in stasis, but they burn megayears of realtime doing so. Ecologists can jump ahead half a megayear at a time...more
M. J.
It looks like I read this in record time, but really I had some technical problems trying to enter it--first, I entered the wrong book, because I made a stab at remembering the title when I didn't have the book in front of me, then it wouldn't let me delete the other and add this one. So here I am, on the night I finished reading it, finally managing to get the system to accept that I started.

This is another "second time through" book. It actually might be third time through, I'm not quite sure,...more
Neal Asher
Ah, it’s Mr Singularity himself with tales of pre then post singularity worlds ‘bobbles’ can isolate and freeze in time their contents. It’s dated a bit now what with these two written in 1984 and 1986 and a world war in 1997 but enjoyable none-the-less. There’s also something very believable about the abilities of the future humans and, frankly, all the characters are engaging and you regret knowing no more about them when the story ends.

Note, don’t make the mistake of buying this if you alread...more
Ric
have read all vv books i am aware of. so i guess that makes me a vinge-e.
David Robins
Some innovative ideas; the bobbles, of course, which unfortunately are rather too offensive than the (affected) "peace" authority/war would have one wish, leading to a whole new enforced low-tech tyranny. And then of course there's the forward time travel, megayears; fascinating stuff. The themes, I think, are more worth dwelling on that the plot, including the murder mystery in the second book (the singularity mystery is another story). I read Vinge's short story The Ungoverned, which shares so...more
Erika
I loved this book. Vinge's characters are nicely complex, the ideas are not just clever but really thoughtful and then explored and pushed beyond the obvious, the plot is nicely complex, . . . and the underlying questions (or at least the ones that occurred to me) are all the ones I want to think about these days. When you combine an apocalypse / the singularity with the ability to extend life beyond anything we today can really get our minds around, you see to the heart of things, I believe, wh...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Joseph Brennan
I remembered loving this, but I didn't remember the book well enough to review it without a reread. A lot did come back once into the stories though, and I fell right back in love with it. This has so much that made me love the genre. Especially Big Ideas, playing with very large scales of space and time and loads of imagination--but without the drawbacks I often find in Golden Age Science Fiction. I love the big three of Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke, goodness knows I do, but so often their women...more
Charlie
Book contains two earlier novellas "The Peace War" and "Marooned in Realtime." "The Peace War" suffered from being set in what is now our past, but only minimally. Explores some interesting topics but brings very little scientific rigor to any of them. Plays with levels of omniscience a bit frustratingly in order to present certain plot twists. Has a couple of points that seem like inconsistencies within the fiction. Likable characters filled in just enough to make them interesting without burde...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in October 2001.

Although presented in this edition as a single entity, Across Realtime is really two novels, as it was originally published: The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime.

Te concept which fuels the plot of the two novels is is an impenetrable sphere of force, perfectly reflective and frictionless, which encloses whatever is within it in a fixed instant of time until the bobble bursts. Not much is said about the physics of these objects, which are bas...more
Kolya Matteo
Brilliant, like all of Vinge's stuff. Written in the mid-80s, these stories include some of the earliest examination of the Singularity (a term Vinge coined in 1983, I think.) It's not actually dealt with directly, but it's posed as an apparently inevitable result of advanced civilization. The parallel with the Rapture is made explicit here in its first exposition!

The first story, The Peace War, reads almost like a response to James Blish's They Shall Have Stars: in both, scientists working at g...more
John Dalton
Apparently some editions of this work contain three stories - mine only contains the two novels "The Peace War" and "Marooned in Realtime".[return][return]Both stories are centered around the idea of a technology which can created isolated spherical regions of space/time, called "bobbles". A bobble appears as a mirrored sphere enclosing the region of space around which it was created. It has the same mass as its contents, can be moved around like any other object in space, and is absolutely inde...more
The Fza
I would like to start this review with a comment on the edition I purchased which, at the time, was out-of-print.

Across Realtime is a collection of all the Vinge stories set in this same world/reality. It is supposed to reprint two novels (The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime) as well as one novella ("The Ungoverned"). Unfortunately my edition only had The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime.

Of those stories the ladder, Marooned in Realtime, is the more compelling. Set 50 million years after t...more
Richard
Apr 03, 2010 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Richard by: HardSF Group
Book selection for the Hard SciFi group (aka the Yahoo hardsf group) for the month of February, 2010.

I separately reviewed the two component books; see here for The Peace War, and here for Marooned in Realtime.

The novella The Ungoverned (available here) bridges the two books... haven't read that yet.
­
Jon Mountjoy
This appears to be two books in one. The first book was fantastic, and is why I like this author. I love the idea of bobbling, its consequences and the stark history of the Authority. This first book gets 5 stars.

The second book should not have been included - it gets 2 stars. I was disappointed almost all the way through. And come on. The first time the Singularity was described I though "surely the rest of humanity would have been left a sign/path." It's too unbelievable. Ironically the author...more
Tom
Sep 21, 2007 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans, broad thinkers
Vernor Vinge doesn't write great literature, in the sense that a stupid high school teacher would insist upon. He doesn't draw great characters who you identify with and 'feel.' What he does is take great ideas about technology and explore the potential consequences.

Across Realtime is two books combined into one volume. The first book exists almost solely to set up the premise for the second book. You'd think that would be pretty boring, but you'd be wrong. The idea is so rich, so worth explorin...more
Anthony Pacheco
One of my personal favorites, the Across Realtime omnibus contains The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime as well as novella "The Ungoverned."

Or, at least that is what my edition has. Some versions only contain the two novels.

The last story Marooned in Realtime builds upon the other two works to deliver a knock-out blow of taught world-building and mind-expanding science fiction murder mystery. Imaginative, creative, expertly written and at times heartbreaking yet optimistic--this is one killer...more
David
While not as strong as his Zones of Thought novels, this was my first introduction to Vernor Vinge and thus has a very special place in my heart. Despite its first portion ("The Peace War") feeling dated with its Cold War background, like most Vinge novels, his ideas are what are most powerful. In this case, the stasis "bobbles" around which he crafts his stories present a delicious mental excercise to be savored both in the book and after reading it.
Chris
A pair of novels, related, but not really a series. They're both good reads in their own right, and illustrate well Vinge's ability to take a interesting technology idea and run with it. The second book especially is a good one to get one thinking about the nature of time.

The second of these books was my first introduction to the idea of a technological singularity.
George
Jan 12, 2014 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-down
Read first of two books incorporated in this single volume and enjoyed it. Not a great book, especially by Vinge standards, but again, I enjoyed the book. Going to try and pickup again and finish over Christmas.
Osunick
Aug 27, 2007 Osunick rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes hard sci-fi
My friend Les loaned me this book and I honestly wasn't expecting much. All I can say without ruining the plot is read the book for at least 40 pages and you will be racing to finish it as quickly as possible.
Chris
May 29, 2009 Chris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read sci-fi in a while. Looking for some good recommendations - this looks good despite my less-then-enthusiastic review of Fire Upon the Deep. May try to read the Red-Blue-Green Mars series as well.
Quin
Science fiction from a scientist that explores technology in ways never seen before. This two book compilation takes place on earth after future singularity events (one for each book).
Dan
Far-future stories describing the "bobble" stasis mechanism, and the effects on society that resulted. Definitely hard SF. I enjoyed it, but I felt like there wasn't quite enough here...
George
Aug 22, 2008 George rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with an imagination
If you have not yet discovered Vernor Vinge - read him now! He has not written many Science Fiction books, but the ones he has are some of the best of the genre.
Marc
Another book from VV that rocks for its technical inventiveness. I thought it was not quite as good as a fire upon the deep, but it is not bad.
Alpha
Not his best, but still a damned fine read. A little fluffier than I expected, but some great ideas in the second book.
Gregg Gatewood
I enjoyed reading this, but it really messed with my head. My sense of the passage of time has been forever altered.
Dev
Vinge's stories about an approaching singularity are thought provoking, dramatic, and even pretty funny.
Colin
This is both The Peace War (1984) and Marooned in Realtime (1986) in the one volume.
  • The Cassini Division (The Fall Revolution, #3)
  • A Second Chance at Eden
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • The Harvest
  • Iron Sunrise (Eschaton, #2)
  • A Hole in Space
  • Wizard (Gaea, #2)
  • Marrow (Marrow, #1)
  • Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days
  • Slant (Queen of Angels, #4)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Schild's Ladder
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
Vernor Steffen Vinge is a retired San Diego State University Professor of Mathematics, computer scientist, and science fiction author. He is best known for his Hugo Award-winning novels A Fire Upon The Deep (1992), A Deepness in the Sky (1999) and Rainbows End (2006), his Hugo Award-winning novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004), as well as for his 1993 essay...more
More about Vernor Vinge...
A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1) A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2) Rainbows End The Peace War (Across Realtime, #1) Marooned in Realtime (Across Realtime, #2)