Start by marking “Awful Ogre Running Wild” as Want to Read:
Awful Ogre Running Wild

Awful Ogre Running Wild

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Awful Ogre (Awful Ogre's Awful Day) makes his disgustingly triumphant return in this sequel that finds him having the most perfectly awful--and hilarious--summer ever. Full color.
Published June 24th 2008 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Awful Ogre Running Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awful Ogre Running Wild

Echo's Revenge by Sean AustinOz by Eric ShanowerAdventures in Cartooning by James SturmThe Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Reluctant (Boy) Readers
30th out of 51 books — 6 voters
Rapunzel by Paul O. ZelinskyThe Lion and the Stoat by Paul O. ZelinskyKnick Knack Paddywhack (New York Times Best Illustrated Child... by Paul O. ZelinskyThe Wheels on the Bus by Paul O. ZelinskyThe Maid And The Mouse And The Odd Shaped House by Paul O. Zelinsky
Best of Paul O. Zelinsky
26th out of 31 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Luann
Awful Ogre Running Wild is a fun poetry book for older elementary students. Each poem showcases a different aspect of the life of Jack Prelutsky's Awful Ogre. Children may be familiar with Awful Ogre from his first book, Awful Ogre's Awful Day.

I think some kids would LOVE these poems and others might not get the humor. This isn't for very young students since the vocabulary is actually quite advanced. Older elementary students may enjoy many of the fun "ogre" details - such as when he uses a mo...more
Rawannie
It isn't often that all of my Boys enjoy poetry but Awful Ogre kept their full attention with his mildly "disgusting" rhymes. Humorously illustrated, too!
Jennie
May 08, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: Recommend
Recommended to Jennie by: K.G. at LD
Another great book about the awful Ogre and what he does in his free time. Such as exercise, visit Gramma Ogre, participate in a cook off and go for a swim. In his tradition disgusting ways Ogre shares his fun. Another winner by one of the great poetry writers for children. When I shared it with a class of 2nd graders all my other Ogre books went flying off the shelves. gr. K-6.
Randa Brose
Genre: Poetry
Copyright: 2008

I think that the book was a little long for a read aloud in my classroom, but it is good for a one on one where someone can really examine the illustrations. There is a lot of detail on each page and fun to look at the pictures. I loved how the ogres do so many of the things humans do, just much grosser...
Maria Sigg
I liked this book of poems because it uses fun words to describe the Ogre's activities. The illustrations are vivid and colorful and detail what the poem is saying. I think children would enjoy the book because it uses rhyming words. The poems are silly and would appeal to children because of the silliness.
Rebecca Sessions
Maria Sigg recommended this book, and it looks like it was one of her poetry reads. I don't think I introduce my children to enough poetry, and it looks and sounds as though I would have a more fun time reading this one. I mean, who DOESN'T like reading about ogres?!
Nancy Jo Lambert
I am doing an author study slash poetry cafe and station exploration with the kids at my school for National Poetry month. This is one of the books I am using for this activity. I enjoy Jack Prelutsky's poems because they are easy to read and understand and also fun!
Galadriel Johnson
Aug 20, 2011 Galadriel Johnson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Elementary kids
Shelves: children, read-aloud
Gross, slightly violent, and great for elementary kids. The vocabulary is a bit more advanced and the illustrations are extremely detailed. I did enjoy reading it aloud, because the poems flow and the content is not your normal poetic subjects.
Michelle
This is cute, if you are into ogres :). I actually liked it, despite the fact that the subject matter is, frankly, gross. The actual poetry is very good, and IMO it's a great way to expose typical 5 year old boys to poetry!
Stacy
Excellent 'big kid' poetry. Definitely well-suited to my 8 and 9 year old. I loved the ogre bake off and liked many of the other poems, as well. We'll check out the other ogre book soon!
Gobnait
This 39 page picture book is anything but awful. It's actually pretty funny in parts. My favorite poem was titled Awful Ogre Pays A Visit. It's about going to his grandma's house.
Rachel
Fun poems about the things an Ogre does during the summer. Fun gross stuff kids will love
Teresa Garrett
Lot of great vocabulary and kids will love learning new words through the rhymes.
Ruth
I love his work ! His sense of humor is great :)
Maggi Idzikowski
Maggi Idzikowski marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Smadar Leiserowitz
Smadar Leiserowitz marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Kathy added it
May 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children