Start by marking “Awful Ogre Running Wild” as Want to Read:
Awful Ogre Running Wild

Awful Ogre Running Wild (Awful Ogre)

A picnic with a lovely ogress, followed by bug hunts and crocodile wrestling . . .

A visit to Grandma, who serves her famous moldy bread and dried weasel . . .

A dip in the neighborhood pool with his precious pet piranha . . .

And . . . ogre yoga?

Awful Ogre is back, and awfully excited to share his action-packed summer with you!

The mischievous Jack Prelutsky and Paul O. Zelin
Published June 24th 2008 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Awful Ogre Running Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awful Ogre Running Wild

Erin Swinson
Oct 05, 2016 Erin Swinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
What better way to read poetry than with Awful Ogre Running Wild by Jack Prelutsky! This is a fun book about an Ogre and his adventures throughout his summer shared in short, fun poems that I believe your students will love! This genre would be greatly used in your poetry lessons and based off of some of the harder vocabulary I would say this was for grades 3-5. Some of the poems in this book include the Awful Ogre running wild, talking about toast, a picnic, attending a concert and many more ad ...more
Luann
Apr 27, 2011 Luann rated it liked it
Awful Ogre Running Wild is a fun poetry book for older elementary students. Each poem showcases a different aspect of the life of Jack Prelutsky's Awful Ogre. Children may be familiar with Awful Ogre from his first book, Awful Ogre's Awful Day.

I think some kids would LOVE these poems and others might not get the humor. This isn't for very young students since the vocabulary is actually quite advanced. Older elementary students may enjoy many of the fun "ogre" details - such as when he uses a mo
Lisa Sandidge
Feb 29, 2016 Lisa Sandidge rated it liked it
The poem that I picked out of this book was called"Awful Ogre Reflects On The Summer." This short poem tells of how the ogre is having an awful summer and everything that was going wrong. Then he goes to sleep.

This poem contains a is full of rhymes and word play. There is one large image that shows the ogre but it does not have much to do with the text. There is no real need to have the picture there other than to draw in the readers. There was a lot of repetition throughout the poem as well. Th
Jennie
May 08, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: Recommend
Recommended to Jennie by: K.G. at LD
Another great book about the awful Ogre and what he does in his free time. Such as exercise, visit Gramma Ogre, participate in a cook off and go for a swim. In his tradition disgusting ways Ogre shares his fun. Another winner by one of the great poetry writers for children. When I shared it with a class of 2nd graders all my other Ogre books went flying off the shelves. gr. K-6.
Maria Sigg
Jun 18, 2011 Maria Sigg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book of poems because it uses fun words to describe the Ogre's activities. The illustrations are vivid and colorful and detail what the poem is saying. I think children would enjoy the book because it uses rhyming words. The poems are silly and would appeal to children because of the silliness.
Alice
Apr 24, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
I give this book 4 stars not so much that I loved it, but I thought it was an over all well written well illustrated book!!! Great for the individuals poems! Great as a whole. But I don't think the Ogre is awful! I think he is awesome. He may not be wonderful for our human standards but he his a pretty groovy ogre!
Randa Brose
Oct 22, 2013 Randa Brose rated it really liked it
Genre: Poetry
Copyright: 2008

I think that the book was a little long for a read aloud in my classroom, but it is good for a one on one where someone can really examine the illustrations. There is a lot of detail on each page and fun to look at the pictures. I loved how the ogres do so many of the things humans do, just much grosser...
Topanga
Mar 15, 2016 Topanga rated it did not like it
In this poem, the ogre is having an awful summer and thinks that everything is awful. In the end everything is gone and the ogre goes to sleep.

This poem contains a play on words, imagery (that does not interact with the picture), symbolism, repetition of the word awful, and it rhymes.
Rebecca Sessions
Maria Sigg recommended this book, and it looks like it was one of her poetry reads. I don't think I introduce my children to enough poetry, and it looks and sounds as though I would have a more fun time reading this one. I mean, who DOESN'T like reading about ogres?!
Naomi Blackburn
May 06, 2015 Naomi Blackburn rated it liked it
I think that this book was a fun way to teach kids about poetry, but that is where it was limited with me. I will say that the illustrations in this book were amazing. That will be the draw in for the kids.
Michelle
Dec 28, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is cute, if you are into ogres :). I actually liked it, despite the fact that the subject matter is, frankly, gross. The actual poetry is very good, and IMO it's a great way to expose typical 5 year old boys to poetry!
Nancy Jo Lambert
Apr 06, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I am doing an author study slash poetry cafe and station exploration with the kids at my school for National Poetry month. This is one of the books I am using for this activity. I enjoy Jack Prelutsky's poems because they are easy to read and understand and also fun!
Galadriel Johnson
Aug 20, 2011 Galadriel Johnson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Older Elementary kids
Shelves: children, read-aloud
Gross, slightly violent, and great for elementary kids. The vocabulary is a bit more advanced and the illustrations are extremely detailed. I did enjoy reading it aloud, because the poems flow and the content is not your normal poetic subjects.
Teresa Garrett
Jun 26, 2010 Teresa Garrett rated it liked it
Lot of great vocabulary and kids will love learning new words through the rhymes.
Rawannie
It isn't often that all of my Boys enjoy poetry but Awful Ogre kept their full attention with his mildly "disgusting" rhymes. Humorously illustrated, too!
Stacy
Nov 14, 2011 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Excellent 'big kid' poetry. Definitely well-suited to my 8 and 9 year old. I loved the ogre bake off and liked many of the other poems, as well. We'll check out the other ogre book soon!
Renee Brown
Jan 16, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it
Humorous poetry and fantastic illustrations should up the appeal of this poetic journal.
Rachel
Aug 06, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Fun poems about the things an Ogre does during the summer. Fun gross stuff kids will love
Autumn
Oct 09, 2010 Autumn rated it really liked it
This 39 page picture book is anything but awful. It's actually pretty funny in parts. My favorite poem was titled Awful Ogre Pays A Visit. It's about going to his grandma's house.
Lexi
Oct 13, 2015 Lexi rated it it was ok
Shelves: october2015
Meeeehhhh...
Sadie
Sadie rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Danielle Neldon
Danielle Neldon rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Ruth
Feb 25, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
I love his work ! His sense of humor is great :)
Jan Kjerne
Jan Kjerne rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2017
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Miz Campbell
Miz Campbell rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Carol Revelle
Carol Revelle rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2011
Jeremy
Lots of fun. Ogres be cray. Kate laughed a lot at this one, partly because of the pictures.
Ariell
Ariell rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...

Awful Ogre (2 books)