Start by marking “Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)

Cutting Edge (Charlie Resnick #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  24 reviews
“If John Harvey’s novels were songs, Charlie Parker would play them. Cutting Edge sings the blues for people too bruised to carry the tune for themselves. Writing in a minor key to tell this moody revenge tragedy, Mr. Harvey creates characters of astonishing psychological diversity. Their voices are abrasive and often husky with pain; but in the end, they all sing their so ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Bloody Brits Press (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Cutting Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cutting Edge

Monica
It's a lot darker than Rough Treatment. The streets of Nottingham are gritty, full of disaffected, frequently violent youth, but that's just the backdrop. The police work involves tracking down the person or persons who are carving up the staff of a local hospital, and a handsome but sociopathic rapist doctor.

The personal stuff involves Resnick's ex-wife Elaine who keeps turning up in a more and more disturbed state, the further exploration of Resnick's Polish background, and his temporary rescu
Sandy Hall
I skipped #2 so this may be a "duh" but #3 was MUCH better than #1! lol The characters seem to have grown into themselves and the whole flow of the story was much smoother. I'm loving this series!
Tom
Excellent British procedural thriller. Gritty.
Elizabeth
This is my second read through of the John Harvey Charlie Resnick series. In CUTTING EDGE it seems that doctors and nurses are safe enough if they stay in the hospital, but when they leave the curing corridors a scalpel wielding maniac is on the loose. The question is are the patients safe IN the halls of healing or are their maniacs with scalpels in there as well.

You can't go wrong with Resnick and the background music of jazz and the blues which echo the human condition in all it's sorry state
Bonnie
Third in the series of Charley Resnick, this one follows Charlie as he tries to solve attacks on Midlands hospital staff members by someone using a scalpel. When one attack proves fatal, the Serious Crimes unit find themseles overwhelmed . Much detail is offered in this case about the personal lives of the men and woman in the unit. At the end when the reader is thinking, "Yes. I knew it was him," Harvey pulls a surprise so devious the reader is left with gaping mouth.
Mike Gabor
Charlie Resnick is investigating a stabbing of a young doctor at a Midland hospital. When two other stabbings occur, one proving fatal, Resnick attempts to tie them together and hunt down the killer.

The third book in the Resnick series. The mystery is well plotted and moves along quickly. The characters are well fleshed out and there is also a lot of details about the personal lives of some of the characters. The ending was a bit of a surprise. A very good mystery.
Allen Caraway
This is the only John Harvey novel that I have read so far, but I immediately became a big fan. I suspect that Michael Connelly has been inspired by Harvey's work as the similarities cannot be missed. Quite simply some of the best writing that I have ever experienced. His characterizations are the best I have ever read. They are utterly SUPERB. Better even than Dick Francis, and Francis had that knack of creating a vivid image in one's mind with only a few words.
Grace
LJ
[Product Description:] Several members of staff at the local hospital have been seriously attacked at night with a scalpel. Charlie Resnick strives to find a connection between them before assault becomes murder.

Harvey is always a very good writer but this was definitely not one of his best books.

CUTTING EDGE (Pol Proc-Charlie Resnick-England-Cont) - Okay
Harvey, John - 3rd in series
Pete
Not a great novel in the Resnick series, but has enough elements to make it interesting.
Harvey, from my reading of his books, is very strong on social comment and the instutions of the justice system. He is not nearly as strong on the villains of the piece. None of whom come alive as worthy oppononts of the Detective at the centre of the stories.
David Peters
his is book three in the Charlie Resnick, troubled Nottingham detective, series. Some parts of the plot were a little stretched for me, but the writing is terrific. And as I have said before, Harvey is a writer whose writing just gets better.

Plot, someone is attacking members of a college hospital with a knife; a scalpel.
Vivian
Third in the Chalie Resnick series set in Nottingham, England, this is a new to me author whose books I'm reading out of order. DI Resnick is investigative a series of brutal attacks on medical personnel from a local hospital. Solid and well written, I will be looking to read more from this author.
Lynne Bartram
Very good I like D.I.Charlie Resnick he is a very funny and likeable person A very good read
Jamie
A good mystery, british. Listened as an audio book. At the beginning was overwhelmed with characters and story lines which seemed to go on forever, but in the end was quite enjoyable.
Christianne
Book three of the Resnick series. In this one you learn more about Resnick's divorce. The author has been good at filling in details about the main characters from book to book.
Carol
Charlie Resnick is an appealing flawed hero. He investigates an attack at a large teaching hospital, an attack carried out by someone who seems to have surgical skills.
Roxane
Jo
A creepy start with a villain you want to see caught but have to wait until the end to see what happens. It certainly kept my interest
Kathy Rogers
Ann Repetto
good characters, good plot - a little far-fetched and a little predictable - but a little twist at the end
BoekenTrol
Dec 10, 2011 BoekenTrol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me. This one wil 'disappear' into my MTBR for a while.
David
A good solid enjoyable read.
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Tom Woodward
Tom Woodward marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Julie Pritchard
Julie Pritchard marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Roxie
Roxie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • Eleven Days (Carrigan and Miller, #2)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • A Piece of Justice (An Imogen Quy, #2)
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Hand For A Hand (DCI Gilchrist)
  • Fairy Tale
  • The Dead Sit Round in a Ring (DS Stella Mooney, #1)
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • Blood At The Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • Kill My Darling (Bill Slider, #14)
  • Hug Your Customers: The Proven Way to Personalize Sales and Achieve Astounding Results
  • The Reckoning (Maeve Kerrigan, #2)
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
aka Jon Barton, William S. Brady (with Angus Wells), L.J. Coburn (with Laurence James), J.B. Dancer (with Angus Wells), John B. Harvey, William M. James (with Terry Harknett and Laurence James), Terry Lennox, John J. McLaglen (with Laurence James), James Mann, Thom Ryder, J.D. Sandon (with Angus Wells), Jon Hart

John Harvey (born 21 December 1938 in London) is a British author of crime fiction most
More about John Harvey...

Charlie Resnick (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1)
  • Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)
  • Off Minor (Charles Resnick, #4)
  • Wasted Years (Charles Resnick, #5)
  • Cold Light (Charles Resnick, #6)
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • Easy Meat (Charles Resnick, #8)
  • Still Waters (Charles Resnick, #9)
  • Last Rites (Charles Resnick, #10)
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)
Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1) Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11) Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2) Flesh & Blood (Frank Elder, #1) Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2)