Start by marking “Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)

Wren's Quest (Wren #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,356 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Wren just wanted to find her long-lost family, to get to know the people she could not have dreamed of as a child growing up in an orphanage. But her quest turns into a far more dangerous adventure than she ever imagined, what with robbers, guardsmen, and an angry sorcerer after her. And when her traveling companion, young prince Connor Shaltar, begins to meddle with magic ...more
Published May 24th 2004 by Firebird (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Wren's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wren's Quest

Graceling by Kristin CashoreFire by Kristin CashoreEragon by Christopher PaoliniAlanna by Tamora PierceThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
YA Second World Fantasy
184th out of 402 books — 540 voters
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinWake by Amanda HockingForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsLies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown
Seaweed Hair - Drowning Girls on Covers
122nd out of 157 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Laina
I decided to re-read this series when I discovered that Smith had published a fourth book a few years ago. This series really affected me as a child and I had been wanting to go back to it, but the discovery of a new novel I had not read yet really, really excited and motivated me to finally do it.

I'm happy to say that it has held up. It's everything that I look for in middle grades fantasy books is here. Wren is a superb heroine who values both her independence and her friends and family and l
I really enjoyed this book too, partly because I'm partial to head strong, resourceful female characters, and also because Wren is finding herself and her heritage.
Aelvana
Wren is unsettled. She's about to take her Basics test and, after that, go off on a quest to find any relatives she might have. Despite Tyron's assurances, she's not sure she'll pass. And if not, what then? Her choices are more plentiful than they used to be, but she still doesn't want to fail. It isn't such a great time to be leaving, either. The court is flaring with feuds and grudges, Conner's in trouble again, and Andreus may be attempting revenge.

This is a more branching narrative than Wren
Dee
A fair 3.5 stars.

This was a more polished book than Wren to the Rescue Wren 1 and in it Sherwood Smith shows considerable growth as a writer I feel. The story was more well rounded and I appreciated the divergent plotlines and disparate viewpoints in this episode that lead to a cohesive conclusion while still allowing for further series plot development...unfortunately my copy of Wren's War Wren 3 has succumb to my recent flood that spread nasty mold, which I was unaware of on this particular sh
ambyr
It's been a long, long time since I read these books. Long enough that I've forgotten pretty much everything that happens. So when I got to a scene, early in the book, where one of the main characters is being framed, and the other main characters appear ready to buy into it, I cringed. That kind of plot--the kind that could so easily be cleared up by five seconds of conversation, but isn't--is one of my least favorites in fiction.

Fortunately, I kept reading, and within about two paragraphs, the
Wealhtheow
Jan 02, 2012 Wealhtheow rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Alanna
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Orphan Wren is bff with the princess and doing well at the magic school, but she can't help but wonder if she has any family somewhere in the world. She sets out to find them, with Prince Connor at her side. Meanwhile, Princess Tess is having trouble adjusting to court life after growing up in the orphanage.

I actually liked this better than the first book, Wren to the Rescue. I think Smith trusted herself more, and let the personalities and dialog flow a little more naturally. The tinges of for
Mimi
I have very fond memories of the first book in this series, Wren to the Rescue, and I re-read it often so I thought it would be nice to try and see what happened to Wren and her friends in the sequel. Unfortunately this book didn't satisfy me at all. At first I thought it was because I was too old for it but I read and enjoy YA and many Children's book without feeling so dissapointed. Ultimately I think that Quest suffers from being the second book in a trilogy. Second books so often just feel l ...more
Kirstie
I actually think I liked this book more than the first. Maybe I just like the characters better because I know them, but I really enjoy the four friends and their relationship with each other. Connor and Wren are great together and I was happy for the purpose of Wren's quest in this book. My favorite part of this book is the underwater adventure that they have which is shown on the cover! I want to do that!
Jacy
This is an in between story. It just passes time from Wren to the Rescue to Wren's War. It was a good read, but the story was more about Connor then Wren's quest. Don't get me wrong, the information that was delivered in this book is really important in understanding what is to happen in Wren's War. It also gives you a glimpse of what is to become of the four friends and their friendships.
Turtles
I remember the first book in this series being a dead favorite and really, the perfect book for the teen I was. As an adult I'm a bit more blood-thirsty and action-oriented. This book definitely was an endearing adventure and I loved seeing more of the characters I dearly love. Sherwood Smith is a Goddess amongst Fantasy authors since her worlds are amazing and get you so engrossed.
Emily
I didn't think the "quest" in this book was a quest. Wren heads off on an adventure to find her family. And she takes Connor along to get him out of the city and trouble. The narrative is divided between the four main characters, which makes it rather choppy. Overall, it was ok - I though the first one was more coherent.
Shauna
This is a suitable sequel to the first Wren book, and maybe even a little better. I liked the four young characters: Wren, Princess Teressa, magic-maker Tyron, and Prince Connor. Wren's quest of finding her family was perhaps not the strongest quest ever, but it does get our characters where they need to be.
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book. Wren is now starting to learn magic and is a little better prepared for this adventure. This book again has people becoming animals and people being held against there will. Wren sets out to find her family. Read the book and see if she finds them!
Lori
While enjoyable, this book did not have the strength of characters that the first title in the series did. It's definitely a bridge book in the series and a good one-off read to help understand more of the plot in the final book of the trilogy.
Elentarien
A fun sequel to "Wren to the Rescue". I did not feel it was quite as strong as the first one, but there's no real 'complaint', either. Another fun adventure with a good ending. :)

Looking forward to the third one.
Nicole
More enjoyable than the first. Wren becomes a more likable character along with giving more depth to Conoor. I rather enjoyed Connor and his part in the story.

Melissa
Feb 03, 2011 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls
Recommended to Melissa by: amazon
I enjoyed this book as much as the first one. I liked learning more about Wren and Conner and what they can do with there magic. Quick, fun reads for younger girls.
Anna
I was going to say that this book was very derivative of Harry Potter, but maybe it's vice versa?
Qing
Not as bad as the last one - thought it was better written and more interesting too.
Emily
Same as Wren to the rescue
Sm2 test
Sm2 test marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Madyson
Madyson marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Patsy Kachur
Patsy Kachur marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Lauren Allen
Lauren Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2)
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • Parsifal's Page (The Squire's Tales, #4)
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
  • A Hidden Magic
  • Song of the Unicorns (Avalon: Web of Magic #7)
  • The Dalemark Quartet, Vol. 2: The Spellcoats & The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #3-4)
  • Lionclaw (Rowan Hood, #2)
  • The Seventh Princess
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns Of Balinor, #7)
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...

Wren (4 books)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • Wren Journeymage (Wren, #4)
Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2) Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2) Crown Duel (Crown & Court, #1) A Posse of Princesses Inda (Inda, #1)