Start by marking “Inda (Inda, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inda (Inda, #1)

Inda (Inda #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  3,317 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
Indevan Algara-Vayir was born the second son of a powerful prince, destined to stay at home and defend his family's castle. But when war threatens, Inda is sent to the Royal Academy where he learns the art of war and finds that danger and intrigue don't only come from outside the kingdom.
Published August 1st 2006 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Inda, please sign up.

Loryn the main character, Inda is a boy, but the book is peppered with at least four different female Pov.

Mpauli
I'm too tired to write a proper review at the moment, but this was a brilliant book with an amount of complexity I really appreciated. A great main character and very well written prose make that an easy 5 star rating.
John
Nov 02, 2007 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have to say up-front that I found two things about this book off-putting. First and foremost, Smith uses a third-person omniscient voice; I think it's fair to say that this POV is rarely used today, and there's a good reason for that. We get plenty of third person limited omniscient in which the point of view shifts between various characters but only changes perspective from one scene to another. I found Smith's jumping around mid-scene to be, at times, hard to follow.

Likewise hard to follow,
Michael
Dec 05, 2008 Michael rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who read very quickly
Recommended to Michael by: Grabbed it off the shelf
The first thing I have to say about this novel is that it is very much the first in a series. Absolutely nothing was resolved in the end. Nothing at all. In fact, there wasn't much of a story either, which is quite a challenge for over 500 pages.

Here's the rub: I still want to read the next one in the series. A cast of hundreds of points of view, a meandering plot that seemed to jump forward at a ridiculous pace, then slow down just as fast, as if the entire novel is one giant montage. Worked fo
Sara Price.
May 25, 2015 Sara Price. rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read, I really liked the first half of this book but the second half was not really my style. Overall it was good.
Cecily
Jul 08, 2011 Cecily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is an acquired taste for some, though I've read it multiple times. I especially enjoy this first book which is incredibly strong. Smith writes about a world that seems to have always existed, complete with political intrigue, age-old family feuds, old wars, new wars, and a back story for EVERYTHING. This makes the world rich and vibrant.

The only problem is that I think Smith is a little immune to how difficult her character names are to deal with. The main characters all have names y
Katherine
Apr 02, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, Inda by Sherwood Smith, is set in an incredibly interesting and complex world, and I will say that I thought the world building was one of the highlights of the book. But that does make it rather difficult to write a concise plot summary. Basically in this world the first born son is expected to become a great military commander and train at the military academy. The second born sons stay at home and are trained locally and it is expected that they will always remain at home and defen ...more
Kaitlin
Jan 11, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This is my first time reading anything by Sherwood Smith and I picked this up largely due to Sam's (Novels and Nonsense) recommendation. I didn't have a clue what this was about and from looking at the cover I actually thought that the main character was a girl named Inda, however it's a young boy named Inda who we follow in this book, and his tale is certainly an interesting one.

One thing that this book does excellently is craft a unique, complex yet intriguing world. In this world we have mult
Ranting Dragon
Aug 08, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it liked it
Shelves: dan

Inda is the first of four novels in the series of the same name by American author Sherwood Smith. It tells the story of the titular young noble, Inda, in a time of war and crisis in the world of Sartorias-Deles, a setting for a number of her other works. It establishes the background and history of the world for the chronologically later but earlier written works.

A rich and robust world
On her website, Smith reveals that she’s been writing in the world of
Francesca Forrest
Dec 02, 2016 Francesca Forrest rated it it was amazing
On the story level, this is an exciting, immersive story of ambition and treachery: we follow young Inda, a prince in a warlike kingdom, and his friends and rivals as they grow into their strength--and come to realize just how dangerous the web of politics surrounding them is. At that level, it's a delight: Sherwood Smith develops characters in an intimate way, both inside (you're treated to the thoughts--the hopes, fears, resentments--of the characters) and out.

But I liked some of the more broa
Kevin Xu
Mar 13, 2015 Kevin Xu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's been a while since I dnf a book, but this book's writing was just not my cup of tea. The characterd and plot was really great, and I had no problem, but this was one of the first time I felt like the writing was slow in pace. This might be because it feels like she is telling the story rather than showing. So I stopped after about 200 pages.
Also this series feels a lot like Robin Hobb's Soldier and Son Trilogy in the premise, especially the 1st book, Shaman's Crossing, which a lot of people
Jenni
Dec 22, 2014 Jenni rated it liked it
I did like this. I didn't love it. I think I went into it expecting it to be much more fast paced and action packed, but it's definitely a much slower paced book. It took me quite awhile to make sense of all the names and to get a handle on who was who and what meant what. I don't really understand the point in fantasy books to come up with insanely complicated new names for things that already have perfectly useful names that one can pronounce and doesn't need a glossary to understand. That's n ...more
Patti's Book Nook
Dec 02, 2014 Patti's Book Nook rated it really liked it
3.5-3.75 stars

Dislikes: Overly confusing names, vast time span and what was happening simultaneously in other parts of the Kingdom (even though it was fun to see Inda grow from a boy to a man!), some tedious/lagging sections on ship terms and battles.

Likes: The well-developed characters, the various histories of the ruling families, exploration of Homosexuality, pirate life, adventures at sea, and the super cool fighting technique the women utilized- the Odni.

I have conflicting thoughts on this
Megan
This was a hard book to get into, but once you get past the onslaught of strange names and settle into the omnipresent pov it really grabs you. I was supposed to read this a few chapters a week for a group read but I failed completely and devoured it until it was done.
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 27, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was and for that matter still am a bit hesitant about my rating here. This book is one of the (for me somewhat dreaded) coming of age school. We meet a young man, slated from birth to fill a certain roll, marry a certain girl and live his life as his forebears had.

But things don't go that way. (Well if they had of course we wouldn't have had a story.) Politics and family collide here for our protagonist as they do for every other character.

Inda suddenly gets sent to a school for warriors/knig
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 Beth Cato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in, fantasy, 2009
Inda is the second son of a prince. When old traditions are thrown aside, Inda and other second sons are eligible to attend the King's military academy. What the impetuous ten-year-old boy deems an honor is really something more insidious within the political tangles of the royal family. He immediately befriends the second son of the king, nicknamed Sponge, and discovers all is not what it seems. Sponge is loathed by his older brother, the heir, and anyone close to him will suffer for it. Even w ...more
Matt S
Nov 06, 2016 Matt S rated it really liked it
I found out about Inda thanks to the combination of a kindle deal and posts on r/fantasy. I joined in on a group read (late) without knowing much about the story, and am sure glad I did!

Inda is a coming of age story in a complex world full of political intrigue. I particularly enjoyed the characters and the author's writing style as I found myself easily visualizing the events throughout the story and quite emotional at times.

Early on some effort is required to learn the Marlovan language and ti
Tara
Apr 09, 2015 Tara rated it really liked it
Inda started out a little slow, but I think that really worked for it. There are a lot of characters and different plot-lines (all leading to the same point) to get to know and I think Smith did a fantastic job building everything up and getting me invested in the characters. Also, the world-building is pretty cnetralized for the moment, but there are many hints of other cultures and races elsewhere in the world and I'm looking forward to finding out more. Now that all the set-up is there, I am ...more
Jeffrey
May 22, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
A very good fantasy, hard to put down. Finely draw characterizations, nasty evildoers. The kind of book you wish was around more often. The first book of a trilogy. The second in paper and the third in hardcover will be published in July.

A little long and a tad slow, but because of the complexity of story and characters and the huge world building.

Worth the effort.
Amanda Davies
Jan 04, 2010 Amanda Davies rated it really liked it
I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but in the end I enjoyed it quite a bit. It took a while for me to get into it, and I'll start by explaining why, and other things I disliked.

I am not at all a fan of fantasy authors who throw a bunch of made-up terms at you in the beginning of their novels, forcing you to 'sink or swim', memorize these terms or be confused for the rest of the book. Yes, there's a short glossary in the back, but I really don't want to be thrown out of the flow
Debbie
Sep 03, 2011 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Inda" is a fantasy novel. This author's young adult novels are some of my favorite stories because they have an innocence and earnestness about them even when bad things are happening. This book is so different in writing style and tone from those stories that I wouldn't have even guessed it came from the same author if her name wasn't on the cover.

Each character had a nickname, a title, another title, and all of these frequently changed. The titles were often very similar, adding to my difficu
Denni
Nov 15, 2008 Denni rated it it was amazing
My first time reading Sherwood Smith, had been dancing around "Inda" for awhile...even checked it out of the library and returned unread. Finally opened it...wow...once I read a few pages, couldn't put it down. I was almost immediately pulled into this complex and fascinating world created by Ms. Smith. Judging from some less thrilled, long time Smith fans, this book was not what they were expecting...for myself reading it without expectations or thoughts of what I wanted from a favorite author. ...more
Mike
Apr 30, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
This isn't a perfect book, but it's a great hook for the sequels.

Initially it felt like a story I've read a dozen times: new student at a rough-and-tumble military academy with traditions of hazing that older privileged students are taking too far. A well-done version of it, but still nothing new. Things do eventually take a sharp turn towards the original, and when it does, the series really takes off. Sherwood doesn't pull any punches, and more than a fair few landed. Hard.

The entire book, whi
Margaret
Jul 02, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing
Indevan-Dal Algara-Vayir is the second son of the Prince and Princess of Choraed Elgaer, destined to become Shield Arm (military leader) for his older brother Tanric. His future seems all laid out for him, down to the girl he'll marry -- until one day when a messenger arrives from the King, summoning Inda to the King's Military Academy. Inda thinks he's prepared for the harsh life at the Academy, as Tanric has always followed the tradition of thrashing his younger brother into obedience, but whe ...more
Wealhtheow
Aug 28, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Julian, fans of both Tamara Pierce and GRRMartin
With Inda, Smith introduces a complex world peopled with strong, disparate characters. The plot itself is fairly simple: a young noble boy is sent to the martial academy, where he makes friends with the despised younger brother of the King's heir. The world building is surprisingly unique and thorough. Linguistics are important; personalities are important; tactics are important. The first half of the book is a thrilling, engaging story of warrior training and intrigue, sure to be loved by anyon ...more
Editt
Mar 01, 2009 Editt rated it it was ok
The story line was very interesting and would've deserved a 4 but for the world it was set in. To be blunt it is a society that accepts homosexuality and sleeping around (nothing was described in graphic detail). There are no consequences from these acts (STDs). I'm not sure I fully realized this until the second book because I like to skim over descriptions until I get to actual plot. This surprised me because other books by him/her (I probably should research more about the author) are clean a ...more
Monica
Feb 22, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I thought it was well written, and I absolutely loved Inda's character. The plot can be a bit slow at times, but for the most part it is well paced and exciting. I recommend this series to anyone that loves epic fantasy.
Sherwood Smith
May 04, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
It's my book. I got the first glimmers of this story forty years ago, and began writing it ten years ago. It's a bit of a long arc.
Xeyra
Oct 06, 2016 Xeyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a long overdue review but I have not had much time to sit down and put to words my thoughts about Inda. It's always a wonder to discover new authors and series you'd never heard of before from someone else's recommendations, and going in pretty much blind into them. There are some events in the book that are actually more shocking if you don't read the (admittedly very long) blurb at the back. Certain things happen to change the status quo and it also completely changes the book halfway ...more
Giota Bourha
I started it in March, 2016. I put it down in August, 2016 and six months later I've yet to pick it up, nor do I have any desire to do so. Therefore, I've to sadly admit that's a DNF. I may, perhaps, at some point in the future pick it up again but presently....
Joshua Palmatier
Dec 05, 2010 Joshua Palmatier rated it really liked it
I finished Inda by Sherwood Smith last night. This is the first book in the Inda series, and when they say the first book, they mean it. *grin*

In essence, this is a setup book, which introduces the reader to Inda and a motley cast of friends as they are sent to war college as young boys. They've been training with each other and the girls at home (boys defend the land, girls defend the main castle) with games and such, but for the first time in history, the second sons of the ruling families hav
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN-13: 9780756404222 2 25 Jan 04, 2014 04:40PM
  • The Hidden City (The House War, #1)
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
  • Tower of the King's Daughter (Outremer, #1)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • The Steerswoman (The Steerswoman, #1)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...

Inda (4 books)
  • The Fox (Inda, #2)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • Treason's Shore (Inda, #4)