Start by marking “Inda (Inda, #1)” as Want to Read:
Inda (Inda, #1)

Inda (Inda #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,370 ratings  ·  221 reviews
Indevan Algara-Vayir was born the second son of a powerful prince, destined to stay at home and defend his family's castle. But when war threatens, Inda is sent to the Royal Academy where he learns the art of war and finds that danger and intrigue don't only come from outside the kingdom.
Published August 1st 2006 by DAW Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Inda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inda

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
The Best Epic Fantasy
194th out of 2,277 books — 15,662 voters
The Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffBaby by J.K. AccinniEcho by J.K. AccinniArmageddon Cometh by J.K. AccinniEvil Among Us by J.K. Accinni
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
120th out of 1,019 books — 1,380 voters

More lists with this book...

John
have to say up-front that I found two things about this book off-putting. First and foremost, Smith uses a third-person omniscient voice; I think it's fair to say that this POV is rarely used today, and there's a good reason for that. We get plenty of third person limited omniscient in which the point of view shifts between various characters but only changes perspective from one scene to another. I found Smith's jumping around mid-scene to be, at times, hard to follow.

Likewise hard to follow,
Michael
Apr 04, 2011 Michael rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who read very quickly
Recommended to Michael by: Grabbed it off the shelf
The first thing I have to say about this novel is that it is very much the first in a series. Absolutely nothing was resolved in the end. Nothing at all. In fact, there wasn't much of a story either, which is quite a challenge for over 500 pages.

Here's the rub: I still want to read the next one in the series. A cast of hundreds of points of view, a meandering plot that seemed to jump forward at a ridiculous pace, then slow down just as fast, as if the entire novel is one giant montage. Worked fo
Jeffrey
May 29, 2008 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
A very good fantasy, hard to put down. Finely draw characterizations, nasty evildoers. The kind of book you wish was around more often. The first book of a trilogy. The second in paper and the third in hardcover will be published in July.

A little long and a tad slow, but because of the complexity of story and characters and the huge world building.

Worth the effort.
Beth Cato
Inda is the second son of a prince. When old traditions are thrown aside, Inda and other second sons are eligible to attend the King's military academy. What the impetuous ten-year-old boy deems an honor is really something more insidious within the political tangles of the royal family. He immediately befriends the second son of the king, nicknamed Sponge, and discovers all is not what it seems. Sponge is loathed by his older brother, the heir, and anyone close to him will suffer for it. Even w ...more
Amanda Davies
I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but in the end I enjoyed it quite a bit. It took a while for me to get into it, and I'll start by explaining why, and other things I disliked.

I am not at all a fan of fantasy authors who throw a bunch of made-up terms at you in the beginning of their novels, forcing you to 'sink or swim', memorize these terms or be confused for the rest of the book. Yes, there's a short glossary in the back, but I really don't want to be thrown out of the flow
Wealhtheow
Jan 08, 2010 Wealhtheow rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Julian, fans of both Tamara Pierce and GRRMartin
With Inda, Smith introduces a complex world peopled with strong, disparate characters. The plot itself is fairly simple: a young noble boy is sent to the martial academy, where he makes friends with the despised younger brother of the King's heir. The world building is surprisingly unique and thorough. Linguistics are important; personalities are important; tactics are important. The first half of the book is a thrilling, engaging story of warrior training and intrigue, sure to be loved by anyon ...more
Cecily
This series is an acquired taste for some, though I've read it multiple times. I especially enjoy this first book which is incredibly strong. Smith writes about a world that seems to have always existed, complete with political intrigue, age-old family feuds, old wars, new wars, and a back story for EVERYTHING. This makes the world rich and vibrant.

The only problem is that I think Smith is a little immune to how difficult her character names are to deal with. The main characters all have names y
Margaret
Indevan-Dal Algara-Vayir is the second son of the Prince and Princess of Choraed Elgaer, destined to become Shield Arm (military leader) for his older brother Tanric. His future seems all laid out for him, down to the girl he'll marry -- until one day when a messenger arrives from the King, summoning Inda to the King's Military Academy. Inda thinks he's prepared for the harsh life at the Academy, as Tanric has always followed the tradition of thrashing his younger brother into obedience, but whe ...more
Editt
The story line was very interesting and would've deserved a 4 but for the world it was set in. To be blunt it is a society that accepts homosexuality and sleeping around (nothing was described in graphic detail). There are no consequences from these acts (STDs). I'm not sure I fully realized this until the second book because I like to skim over descriptions until I get to actual plot. This surprised me because other books by him/her (I probably should research more about the author) are clean a ...more
Denni
My first time reading Sherwood Smith, had been dancing around "Inda" for awhile...even checked it out of the library and returned unread. Finally opened it...wow...once I read a few pages, couldn't put it down. I was almost immediately pulled into this complex and fascinating world created by Ms. Smith. Judging from some less thrilled, long time Smith fans, this book was not what they were expecting...for myself reading it without expectations or thoughts of what I wanted from a favorite author. ...more
Hanh

I've read other stuff by Sherwood Smith that was more girl- and adolescent-oriented. Crown Duel is what started me on her stuff. This series has a different feel. The storytelling is slower to really get into the epic scope, and it's less romanticized. As a bildungsroman, it's not bad, but there's something that's missing in Inda's younger characterization -- some solid insight into his character. For some reason I didn't really care about him (in fact, he kind of bored me) until he encountered

Julia
Indevan-dal Algara-Vayir is the son of a prince - not that his title does him any good when he's exiled to sea from home at the age of twelve, caught up in a web of conspiracy and lies. I've doubtlessly plugged the Inda series by Sherwood Smith on my journal before, but I've recently been rereading the books for the umpteenth time on my commute. So you guys will have to suffer more blathering about how much I love and admire these books and have a massive crush on the author.

This series is a fan
Joshua Palmatier
I finished Inda by Sherwood Smith last night. This is the first book in the Inda series, and when they say the first book, they mean it. *grin*

In essence, this is a setup book, which introduces the reader to Inda and a motley cast of friends as they are sent to war college as young boys. They've been training with each other and the girls at home (boys defend the land, girls defend the main castle) with games and such, but for the first time in history, the second sons of the ruling families hav
Ranting Dragon

Inda is the first of four novels in the series of the same name by American author Sherwood Smith. It tells the story of the titular young noble, Inda, in a time of war and crisis in the world of Sartorias-Deles, a setting for a number of her other works. It establishes the background and history of the world for the chronologically later but earlier written works.

A rich and robust world
On her website, Smith reveals that she’s been writing in the world of
Odd Oddtest
Sherwood Smith certainly knows how to deliver a well-done tale that all lovers of pirates, fantasy, or intrigue ought to be snatching up. THE FOX lives up to its predecessor in this grand sequel of pirates, governing, courts and princes.[return][return]In INDA we were introduced to the world of a little boy striving to survive military training, and later on, life on the high seas. By the time THE FOX rolls around Inda has already established a foothold in seafaring - he's now the commander of s ...more
Debbie
"Inda" is a fantasy novel. This author's young adult novels are some of my favorite stories because they have an innocence and earnestness about them even when bad things are happening. This book is so different in writing style and tone from those stories that I wouldn't have even guessed it came from the same author if her name wasn't on the cover.

Each character had a nickname, a title, another title, and all of these frequently changed. The titles were often very similar, adding to my difficu
Mike (the Paladin)
I was and for that matter still am a bit hesitant about my rating here. This book is one of the (for me somewhat dreaded) coming of age school. We meet a young man, slated from birth to fill a certain roll, marry a certain girl and live his life as his forebears had.

But things don't go that way. (Well if they had of course we wouldn't have had a story.) Politics and family collide here for our protagonist as they do for every other character.

Inda suddenly gets sent to a school for warriors/knig
Stephanie
This is the first in a series of books about the kingdom of Marlovan and its’ inhabitants. It is ostensibly a book for young adults though in my local library it was not shelved as such. Despite a synopsis of the book that indicates this coming of age tale has political intrigue, adventure and pirates (why I picked it up in the first place – I was craving a story with pirates), it took me forever to read; 2-3 months. This is much longer than it should have – and I set about thinking why with all ...more
Erin
As a big, big fan of Sherwood Smith, I was kind of bummed that the first time I read this book (right when it came out) I found it surprisingly...just alright. Having just gotten a Kindle (and realizing I could carry a library with me to work everyday for when I got bored), I decided it was time to give it another try. I don't know if it's just because I'm older now and didn't try to gulp down the book in one sitting, but instead of being completely overwhelmed by the strange (and multiple) name ...more
Karina
Too long, and no real resolution (rather a set up for a follow-up book). If I knew I'd never even have started to read. The main character Inda is sympathetic, so I decided to stick it out (especially when I read over half of the book), though at times the pace was so slow I considered giving up and writing "TL;DR" for review.

Sometimes I like long books and like it when they have a continuation, for instance "Wizard's First Rule", so those can't be the only reasons I couldn't get to enjoy this b
Jeff Crosby
My friend Doc's comment about the confusion of names is to the point. His recommendation was also on target. The story flows with interest, focusing primarily on Inda, but shifting as necessary to unroll the narrative.

The series is apparently one long story arc, and the book is completely open ended. The first half is hard to put down. Inda, Tdor, and Sponge are especially interesting characters. The pacing and focus changes somewhat in part 2.

I would usually avoid such an open ended volume, but
Dawn
This book managed to grab my attention from the first chapter and keep me enthralled until the last.
I have to admit to having a hard time keeping track of the names and nick names and who was who but by the end of the book I think I got it all figured out.
Our main character is a nice blend of smarts and cluelessness with a great supporting cast of peers and grown ups who hinder or help him grow up.
This is a great character book with substance and plenty of room to grow and I hope the rest of
Grace
Three stars for part 1, five for part 2, so four stars overall

What I liked
1. Reminds me of a fantasy version of Ender's Game (Another favorite)
2. The character development. The motivations behind the actions of many of the initial "bad guys" are later revealed. And while I still can't stand a few ( I'm looking at you Sierandael and Sierlaef), I feel like I understand them.
3. It's definitely a page turner
4. The courage and strength of all the characters. No cowards here.
5. The casual, everyday us
Allie
Reading Banner of the Damned led me to start re-reading the Inda series. I own the first three books, but the last time I was on a read-through I lost track halfway through King's Shield due to RL intervening.

Elements I adore: intricate worldbuilding, culture clashes, different languages, fish out of water scenarios, pirates, politics, royalty, women being amazing, and playing with gender/sexuality.

Off to start The Fox now!
K. Kesington
I had more disappointment with this book than dislike*. While I liked it well enough, it took about 125 pages to actually pick up from the data-dump of a beginning. The random shifts of PoV made it a bit hard to follow.

However, it is still a good book on its own, and made even better by its sequel The Fox.

*Sherwood Smith has written some pretty fantastic stuff, and this isn't quite up to what I thought it would be, is all.
Catherine
I would have really enjoyed this book if we hadn't had to hear about everyone's sexual awakenings/experiences. If I wanted to read that stuff, I would get one of those boring YA coming of age books or a bodice ripper. I like Sherwood Smith for her world building and great plots and battles. Please, dear author, spare me the relentless "intimate" material in the future!
Star
Jul 07, 2008 Star rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends and people who like adventures
This book shows what one has to go through when the blame is put on you and you hven't done anything wrong.has the ruling of different places affect even kids and are commited as if they are adults. the boy Inda travels around the sea and practically grows up before he's even reach the age of 15. i was reading for long periods of time wanting to know what will happen next.
Mel
Jul 16, 2014 Mel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This hit my nostalgia spot. I started with Banners of the Damned and then jumped all over the place chronologically due to which books I could get hold of. I love the world building and characterisation, especially the handling of sexuality in all her books set in this world. How nice to see heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and not really sexually driven at all characters given even handed treatment.

I am reminded of Tamora Pierce in a good way. Probably more romantic/relationship oriented than
Sherwood Smith
May 05, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
It's my book. I got the first glimmers of this story forty years ago, and began writing it ten years ago. It's a bit of a long arc.
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN-13: 9780756404222 2 20 Jan 04, 2014 04:40PM
  • Hell and Earth (Promethean Age, #4)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Transformation (Rai-Kirah, #1)
  • Covenants (Borderlands, #1)
  • To Ride Hell’s Chasm
  • Spirit Gate (Crossroads, #1)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • The Laurentine Spy
  • The Hidden City (The House War, #1)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
  • Dark Moon Defender (Twelve Houses, #3)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths, #2)
  • Fire Logic (Elemental Logic, #1)
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...
Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2) Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2) Crown Duel (Crown & Court, #1) A Posse of Princesses Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)