Start by marking “The Wind In The Willows” as Want to Read:
The Wind In The Willows

The Wind In The Willows

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  619 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A fun retelling of Kenneth Grahame's classic tale for beginning chapter book readers!

The classic tale!
Published November 1st 2002 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind In The Willows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind In The Willows

Christy
this ones a wonderful adventure!! i would recommend it to anyone!! especially if you like toads and rats and badgers and weasles and moles!!!
Heather
I know this is considered a classic but I could never get into it. My parents tried to read it to me when I was a little girl and I had no interest. I tried to read it again a few years ago, as an adult, and still couldn't get past the first 50 pages. Guess it's just not for me.
Clara
There were moments when it was cute, but overall I found it insanely boring. It was part of my mission to get all of my unread children's books off my shelves and into storage. It took me forever to get through.
Nora Apriyani
Berkisah tentang persahabatan tikus tanah (Moly), tikus air (Ratty), katak (Toady) dan luak.

Cerita di awali dengan pindahnya Moly dari sarangnya di bawah tanah ke tempat tinggal Ratty di pinggir sungai. Ratty pun mengenalkan Moly pada penduduk tepi sungai termasuk beberapa penduduk hutan rimba yang tinggal di hutan persis di seberang sungai. Luak, adalah penduduk hutan rimba yang terkenal bijaksana namun sangat pendiam. Ia lebih suka menyendiri jauh dari yang lain tetapi selalu memperhatikan tem...more
Lashawn
We read this for the boy's bedtime hour. The boy really loved Mr. Toad for his wild antics and constant pride; the same characteristics I detested in Mr Toad when I was the boy's age. There were a lot of rambling bits I skipped over, and there were some points in the text that was just easier for me to paraphrase rather than read outright since the vocabulary was too ostentatious and dense, even for me. But other scenes I took great delight. At one point, the boy fell asleep as I was reading "Th...more
Mari62
The Wind in the Willows is a book about Mole,Rat,Whisel,and thier crazy friend Toad.Toad is always getting in trouble with the lawso,his friends were planning to teach him a lesson.When the day to teach Toad a lesson has come Whisel,Rat,and Mole go to Toad Hall.(Toad's house)Whisel takes Toad into the livingroom and talks sence into Toad but,when Whisel tells Toad to repeat everything he just siad Toad says no and that he was not sorry.So,Whisel tells Toad that they're all moving into Toad Hall,...more
Andjelija
the wind in the willows is a amazing book about animals and there lives on the river bank. mr.toad, mole, water rat, otter, and badger are all very good friends, mr.toad gets them all in troble by steeling, running away(from home and jail), speendeing all his money and other sorts of things.

i was able to connect to moal when he became good friends with water rat. he felt very lucky to have a new friend. i all ways feel that way when i make a new friend.

i would recomend this book to anyone who li...more
Cheryl
Whereas I will admit that the book was beautifully written from a language point of view, I simply could not get into this one and did not enjoy it that much. I definitely question some of the themes as being something to put forward to children. While I can admire the theme of great friendship and loyalty to your friends, I cannot condone the flaunting of the value of the law and not being accountable for wrongdoings. The characters do not grow through the story...except maybe Mole who discover...more
Christine
Read this one out loud to my daughter a few years ago. What I remember most about it is being bored. It seems like we just slogged through it (we rarely quit reading in the middle). I know it's supposed to be a great children's classic, but I think Disney found the two interesting parts & ran with it.
Perhaps if I had picked up an abridged copy we would have enjoyed it more.
Snooka L.
This book is a great book! It was so good I read it in 3 days. It is about 2 friends who love to explore. One day one of the friends want to go in to the forest. The other friend thinks its a bad idea because badger lives there and everyone thinks badger is mean. It turns out they become friends. This book is a great read for all ages.
Jeslyn
This is one of the best reads of my life - happy, happy times. I read this to my fake kids (Annie, Clara and Hitsch) on Sunday afternoons over a span of several months in 2008. We became even closer friends as a result; an unforgettable time with an unforgettable book.
Cindy
Precisely why I love my book club! Never would have met Mole, Badger, Ratty or Toad. Would love to have them as friends! I loved it so much I bought a copy. The 75th anniversary edition with great illustrations. So descriptive. I was carried away.
Jeffcharie Charie
Ohhhhh, I love this book! I want it for my personal library. I checked out copies for all my kids and we read it aloud. Be sure to get the big version with beautiful pictures (I couldn't find the exact version for the picture) and don't forget the popcorn!
Kim
i liked this book. it was cute but toad really pissed me off at parts. badger, rat and mole were too good to him. but anyways.. i wish i had read it earlier, like during my childhood.
Danielle Simmons
This is an adventurous book for children to read. It is a classic that takes you on a journey. The wind in the willows is a good read, especially for those who love toads!
Crystal
Really a weird book. I didn't like that toad kept breaking the law and then running away from the law when he was caught. Not a very good role model of a book.
Ally
I read this book recently, not as a child, but as an adult, and I love it. If I ever write a children's book, I'll probably use this as my muse.
Emily
I enjoyed this book, anyone can read it, very funny, exiting, in some parts of the story it sort of gets suspensfuel and you can make it into a play!
Casey
I was in a musical for this for school and found that the story was wonderful to be a part of. This is a great book that people will love!
Kari Mills
my kids and I loved Mr. Toad. The kids had a hard time understanding the old english but otherwise they really enjoyed this book.
Nancy
I loved this book. If you are looking for a fun read to escape from the drudgeries of everyday life and responsibility, this is it.
Maureen
I can still picture this little hard cover on my white and gold book shelf in my little girl room. Very special childhood memory.
Lori
A wonderful story of what it means to be reliable and honest and thrifty told from the views of several animal friends.
707nikki
was very cute but had a lot of adult content. had very cute illustrations. was very detailed, i liked this book a lot
Ayelet
The only thing I really remembered about this was the cover - I definitely didn't remember the stories themselves!
Matt Mason
An all time family read aloud favorite. Can count on one hand how many books we've enjoyed as much as this.
Kim
Would be fun to read with Daniel. I really liked all the personalities that Grahame gave to all the animals.
Booklet
Absolutely wonderful and just amazing. It amazes how simple words could describe so much.
Jenny
A great commentary on "high society" and the type of characters that helped Britain win WWII
Tahnee Landers
Toad was very very bossy. I liked the book but it was not as exciting as other books I have read.
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • Arthur's Computer Disaster: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Littles Give A Party
  • Poppleton
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • The Book of One Hundred Truths
  • Have Fun, Molly Lou Melon
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Bird
  • Le chant du Coq (Les Filles de Caleb, #1)
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Grimms' Fairy Tales and Andersen's Fairy Tales
  • Flanimals
  • Becoming Abigail
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
Goldie (The Puppy Place, #1) Buddy (The Puppy Place, #5) Snowball (The Puppy Place, #2) Doctor Dolittle (Junior Classics) Pugsley (The Puppy Place, #9)