Start by marking “Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cory Doctorow's Futuri...

IDW Publishing

Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Writer and BoingBoing.net co-editor Cory Doctorow has won acclaim for his science-fiction writing as well as his Creative Commons presentation of his material. Now, IDW Publishing is proud to present six standalone stories adapted from Doctorow's work.
Published December 1st 2008 by IDW Publishing (first published June 17th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Cory Doctorow's Futuristic Tales of the Here and Now

Daniel
Chapter 3, "Craphound" is the strongest story in this book, about strange friendships, arcane hobbies, and the times when both of these pursuits go sour. It was deeply touching. The other stories are of uneven quality, and while I agree with his stance on copyright and the DMCA, I don't need to read three stories in a row that revolve around this particular cause celebre...
Frank Taranto
I really enjoyed these short stories in their original form, but the artwork in this book was just OK and the stories did not have the same power as the first time I read them.
Cale
This is a mixed bag of adaptations of Cory Doctorow stories. Some work really well in the comic format (Craphound especially stands out), and some manage to lose most of their luster (When Sysadmins Ruled the World especially loses most of its meaning in the presentation here). For every strong example (After the Siege), there's one that fumbles its goal (Nimby and the D-Raiders). If you liked the original stories, reading them in this format is a good choice. It's also a good introduction to Co ...more
J.D.
This is a collection of slightly surrealistic short-stories in graphic novel format. They are interesting, and the art is good, but I just couldn't get past the activist overtones. Doctorow seems to have lots of axes to grind. Not bad, but I could only give it 2-1/2 stars and call it an OK Read.

Just for me to remember later...
(view spoiler)
Phillip Goodman
I have not read these stories in their original form, in fact, despite being an absolutely huge admirer and fan (yes, these are different things, if you want a definition there are many fine dictionaries available online) of Cory Doctorow i have never read any of his short stories, so i cannot make any comment on their translation (yes translation, i really mean that, comics-books and normal-books employ two very different but not unconnected languages) but the combination of Doctorow and comics ...more
Michael
This was my introduction to Cory Doctorow. I am guessing something significant was lost in translation of his stories to these comics. They feel a bit too abridged. I don't feel these comics hold up to other sci-fi comics like Transmetropolitan or DMZ, but then that's probably an unfair comparison. These stories are refreshingly (or eerily) poignant, but then I can't tell if that's truly special considering Asimov and Neal Stephenson make up 90% of the sci-fi I've read. That said, I think Doctor ...more
Thom Foolery
Boing Boing's Cory Doctorow has evidently written some great short stories, six of which are presented here in graphically adapted form. All of these stories but one--"When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth"--really struck me and made me want to read the original, un-adapted versions. Doctorow is the first SF author I've read who deals with our mash-up/remix culture's concerns about intellectual property vs. free speech, piracy vs. legal controls over research and communication, and corporate profits vs ...more
Simon
Craphound was absolutely brilliant. Sadly the other stories in this anthology I didn't like much.
Noah Soudrette
Sadly, while there is a nice array of ideas on display here, the overall quality of the book is shaky. The art, on the whole ranges from acceptable to quite good, but the stories themselves are severely lacking. I can only assume this is a side effect of their translation to the comic form, and even though Doctorow supervised this process, I can't hold it against him until I read his original stories. So, overall a bit of a letdown, but still interesting, especially if you'd like a nice salad of ...more
Julie
I love Cory's ideas here, but these stories are not particularly well translated into the graphic novel medium. They are too short, not fleshed out nearly enough. That said, they are lovely companions to the actual short stories and, as a Doctorow fan, I really enjoyed reading them.
Suhrob
This is my first contact with Doctorow and I like his social and psychological concern, but it is also clear that the writing is not on par compared to e.g. Chiang (in sci-fi) or Moore / Gaiman (in the comics medium). That is not a real complaint obviously and him seems like a nice guy!

Highlights for me where "When sysadmins...", "I, robot" and "After the siege".

The art is of mixed quality, I generally wasn't very fond of it.
John Orman
Many great graphics here in the six stories drawn here.

I especially liked "When Sysadmins Ruled the World", another apocalyptic tale of the computer kind!

Doctorow's commentaries about the stories are quite entertaining and informative.
Chandra
I love the comic adaptations of these stories. They are beautiful, poignant renderings of 6 great short stories. This is one of my favorite collections, and I've read it many times.
Maria Kramer
Some of these were better and some were worse, but all were really, really preachy. If I want to read that kind of thing, I'd get a collection of essays, not a comic book.
Brad T.
First couple of stories were good and then things went in the deeper thought realm. Too much to think about in a graphic novel for me.
P.G. Holyfield
Five of the six stories translated perfectly to the comic book format. This is a wonderful compilation that should be enjoyed by all.
Emmett
Great remixing of short stories that I've already read by Doctorow. May very well get me back into reading graphic novels. We'll see
Jason
Really enjoyed these short stories, and really appreciated the interviews that followed each one
Tone
I'm going to assume a lot of these short stories lost a lot in the translation to sequential art.
Matteo Anelli
How to butcher perfectly good stories with a pretentious graphic novel.
Matt Sears
Mixed bag. Enjoyed some of the stories and art, and others not so much.
Shannon Appelcline
Great stories of the near future, wonderful adapted with good art too.
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Adam Fullerton
Adam Fullerton marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
  • Testament, Vol. 1: Akedah
  • Against Empire
  • A-Babies Vs X-Babies #1
  • The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe
  • Autobiography of Mother Jones
  • Alternate Empires (What Might Have Been, #1)
  • A Dangerous Woman: The Graphic Biography of Emma Goldman
  • The Girl in the Trees
  • Labor's Untold Story
  • The Sound of His Horn
  • Bonds of Fire
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Free Comic Book Day Special Underworld Star Trek The Next Generation Doctor Who Assimilation2 #1 (2nd ptg) Transformers Prime Volume 3 My Little Pony Covers Gallery #1