No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog

No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Tired of filling up your blog with boring posts? Take the next step and get inspired to create something unique. Author Margaret Mason shows you the way with this fun collection of inspirational ideas for your blog. Nobody Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog is a unique idea-book for bloggers seeking fun, creative inspiration. Margaret gives writers the p...more
Published August 21st 2006 by Peachpit Press (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about No One Cares What You Had for Lunch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Cares What You Had for Lunch

Becky
It gave some good ideas (and divided them by time you have avaliable) to blog about, but mostly listed websites to look at and put your own spin on.

So you don't have to bother: some of the best and worst ideas in this book are:
#1 If you ruled the world, things would be better, at least in a few small ways. www.hchap.com talks about how she thinks you should hang your toilet paper.
#3 Tell readers about presents you'll remember forever.
#6 Count your blessings
#9 what are some of your bad habits t...more
Roland
Well, blogging has arrived. I mean really.
This book is a good example of that, one of those 101 and "in 24 hours" books.
The subject is fun, the content is about 100 blog posts, the price for this is ridiculous.
The author complains that people are writing about their lunch, but funny thing is that her 31st idea for blogging is - yes, you guessed, lunch.
The book is basically about how to bare youself more to the public, how to put more of your private life on the net - hey, you got an embarrassing...more
Rekha
I've come to the conclusion that writing-prompt books are crap. This one didn't change my mind.
Dee
This book is separated into five chapters. The first four chapters are aimed at the time increments you may spend on writing your blog: 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, or “take your time”. The fifth chapter is about picking an area of expertise or of interest and just being a writer.

I found that the first chapter based on 15 minutes of fame was fun and intuitive with ideas to keep readers coming back for more. This would be good for clients we work with who have a website designed for a special...more
Roxanne
I gave this five stars, not because it's the great American novel, but because it gives you exactly what it promises, with wit and flair. There are 100 ideas for your blog, most of them pretty darn good. I wish it were required reading before getting a Facebook account.
Ethan Fleck
A funny story, I originally told Kristin about this book as a joke of sorts that she should read it and how no one, in 2008, was going to care about her food pictures or selfies (look at us now in 2014, hehe) but I was interested in reading this and seeing just what was out there in the blogging world. Turns out, in 2006, it was very much an un-blazed trail.

This is a quick and dirty book to get your brain restarted for blogging ideas, especially if you are stuck. A lot of these ideas are evergr...more
Danielle West
I've been wanting to read this book for several years now. I don't know why, but I just never really got around to it. The longer I waited, the less I felt it would be useful to me. Not because I didn't need help and inspiration for my blog posts, but because I thought the advice would be less relevant than it once was.

This book was first published in 2006. A lot has happened to the internet in the last six years. Blogging has evolved since then, hasn't it?

But really, it has and it hasn't. This...more
Kayt
Despite the title of the book, one entry/suggestion (#99-"obsess") suggests making a photographic record some *something* for *a determined period of time,* such as everything you buy for a month, or every outfit you wear for a year. The blog she uses as an example (geoffbadner.com/blog)...took a photo of everything he ate for a week.

It's not a bad book, actually. It's full of ideas (although to make the 100 ideas, some seem to be very related to others) that can spur you to come up with a post,...more
Tara Choate
It was okay, and probably really helpful if you get stuck. Well written, but it wasn't really what I was looking for as far as blogging.
This book was not too impressive. I was dissapointed when the woman suggesting mocking religious fanatics and people in politics. I don't think it's nice to mock anybody.

Maybe it's because my blog is less than 2 months old, but I have not run into a dry spell with nothing to write about. The one time I wondered, I just googled blog topics and found what I needed.

The author's big advice is to live your life and try new things so you have something to write about.

Overall I feel like this book is k...more
Terrence
Such a waste of valuable paper, and for $20! Certainly Margaret Mason could have filled out the very sparse pages with dozens of more ideas in sidebars, photos, spot illustrations, etc.
Content wise, it's very common sense suggestions on how to fill your blog up with more about the person you know best, y-o-u. Save your twenty bucks and borrow this one from the library.

If your interested in blogs, here's mine:
Wump Mucket Puppets Blog
Janie
I occasionally watch "momversation" blogcasts and one of the regulars wrote this book.

It's better in idea than in implementation, but it was fun to go through and see what blog principles she goes by. I wrote down information for about three of the hundred prompts. For a target audience, I'd say it'd be best for people who

- want to write but don't write
- like writing prompts
- want to have a blog that's kinda like everyone else's, except for personalized (cue "and do it myyyy way")
Maria M. Elmvang
I'm always on the look-out for new blogging ideas, so was very intrigued when I read the title. Unfortunately, the book itself couldn't live up to my hopes, as it's really not very interesting. It's obviously aimed at new bloggers, as most of the author's ideas are well-known in the blogging community and not considered either spectacular or ground-breaking. And if it is aimed at new bloggers, most of the ideas are too meme'ish to interest a larger crowd.
Brigit Zelenak
We all get writer's block. And with blogging quickly becoming the preferred mode of communication (seriously, who doesn't have a blog these days??), the author's practical advice, served with a side of whimsy, might be just what the doctor ordered.

There's really a little something here for everyone. And if by the end of all 100 tips you haven't hit inspirational paydirt, it might be time to concede blogging isn't your thing...
Kathy
This was a good book for bloggers. I got some really good ideas for my blog that I'll actually use.

There were a couple of ideas that revolved around sharing intimate secrets and embarrassing moments. I think I got those covered. Pretty much, everything stupid that I do gets blog coverage.

A friend of mine and I share the philosophy: if you aren't embarrassing yourself, you're not living. We live up to that often.
Tímea
I couldn't help but skim through half of this book when I finally became too annoyed to read any more with concern. Annoyingly, only half or one-third of a page is filled with text, and the ideas presented for blog writing would be perfect if I wanted to write an absolutely boring one. Not worth the read, it's enough if you skim the "Contents" pages. Maybe even too much.
Jenny
Jan 03, 2011 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I bought this book to get some additional ideas for blogging. I wasn't expecting too much out of this book, but I was actually surprised by some of the suggestions. I read it from cover to cover and I find myself going back to it for ideas. If you need some blogging tips, I would definitely recommend "No One Cares What You Had for Lunch".
Megan
At one point I was conptemplating having a real blog, not just a myspace blog. But I don't feel like devoting the time to regularly write creative, cool entries and I'm not just going to write boring stuff about what I ate for breakfast and what is on my to-do list that no one cares about. There is already too much white noise on the Internet.
Davinia
This would have been a good source of ideas when I had JUST begun blogging, but while there are a few good ideas in there, some of them seem a bit shallow. Mighty Girl is an excellent writer and I don't mean to discredit her; blog prompts are hard as everyone has a different, personal style of blogging.
Danielle
Some interesting ideas for a blog/ blog entries if you're ever stuck or in a writer's block bind. But, honestly, if anybody took the time to sit down and think of some creative ideas themselves (you know, the good ol' fashion way), we all could have written the same exact book unfortunately.
Jen
This would be a great book for someone who is brand new to blogs. However, most of the ideas presented were ones I've either tried myself or have seen other people use on their blogs. I picked up a couple tips, but just checking out other people's blogs has probably given me more ideas.
Abigail
This is not really a book. It's more a list of ideas for blogging, and each idea takes up one page. I bought it in a moment of crisis, when I didn't know what to write next, but after going through the author's 100 ideas I realized that it wasn't worth the money or the time.
Rose
This was a great book if you blog.
Very fast read and gave me lots of ideas.
Even if they didn't suggest something I wanted to blog about, it sparked
ideas for other blogs.

I highly recommend this book for any blogger, young or old, new or experienced.
VegasGal
Sep 26, 2008 VegasGal rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bloggers, ppl who want to blog
Shelves: read-2008
Some neat ideas for blogging are to be had in this book, but I wasn't too excited about the book in general (not sure WHAT I was looking for though, lol)
I suppose since she seems to be the only person handing out blog suggestions, she's done a good job.
melissa
Mar 18, 2007 melissa marked it as to-read
the thing is, I do care what you had for lunch. And what it looked like so take a pic plz. I'm not sure about receiving ideas for blogging, though. It's like an art - either you have it or you don't. I'm curious as to what this has to say...
David Crosby
I liked it. Yes, just a list book, but each entry is given plenty of detail. Of any use? Yes, it gave me 8 recurring usable ideas and 12 ideas I could use one-off. Along the way it gives good advice to both current bloggers and bloggers to be.
Yohanes Nugroho
This is just a list of some blogging ideas for personal blog (not for technical or professional blog). If you ever want to consistently fill your personal blog every day (or at least for 100 days), then you can use the ideas presented in this book.
Firda Beka
It gave some good, writing ideas that I've forgotten already. Might have to re-read it. I think it would work better as a reference book for when you feel like you should update your blog but don't really know what to write about.
SharleneSays
I managed to pinch a few topics for my blog. I really needed fresh content & this opened my eyes to the world around me.
There were some great links to other bloggers, or sites. A great resource for new blogs.
Relyn
Feb 05, 2014 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bloggers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted here on GoodReads
What a fun and inspiring book. If you blog, you gotta read it.

2/3/14 Finished it again a few days ago. I really should just buy this book. I reread it about every two years. It's fun and funny and inspiring.
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Oxymoronica: Paradoxical Wit and Wisdom from History's Greatest Wordsmiths
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • Hoyle's Rules of Games
  • The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth
  • Thanks, But This Isn't for Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing and Leaving the Rejection Pile for Good
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries
  • The Homeschool Liberation League
  • A Gift to My Children: A Father's Lessons for Life and Investing
No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog The Washington Post Pocket Style Plus: Perspectives and Panache for Everyday Life Word Play, Word Power: A Woman's Personal Growth Workbook