Start by marking “Alphonse Mucha: Master of Art Nouveau” as Want to Read:
Alphonse Mucha: Master...

Victor Arwas

Alphonse Mucha: Master of Art Nouveau

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  576 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
This lavishly illustrated book presents the full spectrum of Alphonse Mucha`s works, from his innovative posters and decorative panels to his architectural designs, jewelry, sculpture, photographs, books, and interiors. The authors discuss Mucha`s years in Paris, his iconography of Sarah Bernhardt, his service to the Czech government, his distinctive style that became near ...more
Published April 13th 1986 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Alphonse Mucha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphonse Mucha

Retrovold
Jun 09, 2014 Retrovold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Alfons Mucha is artist that found way to my heart and as such, I am deeply interested in his works and his life. This book I rated five stars from two reasons. One, it maps Mucha's life and changes of his personality as we were shown in paintings and related books and articles to time. Two - it deeply describes creations, changes and finding himself as an artist.

If you perhaps study history of arts, this would be book exactly for you, because more then biography this describes painter's works w
Sarai
Jul 09, 2009 Sarai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Library Journal
Alphonse Mucha (1890-1939) was one of the most important decorative artists in Paris at the turn of the century. His sensual female portraits with their elaborate borders embody the essence of Art Nouveau. The Mucha family and the Mucha Foundation have put together a touring exhibition of Mucha's work, and this is the companion volume. Though numerous works on Mucha have appeared in the past few decades, none have been as exhaustive as this illustrated group of essays by note
Jaimie
Jan 19, 2013 Jaimie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book is a great resource for scholarly articles and a comprehensive catalogue of mucha's artwork, it has some major flaws that make me like it a lot less than I should.

The first is how the layout is done. Text only appears in large blocks, which limits the arrangement (and therefore the size in many cases) of the illustrations. This is most likely a cause of printer limits in regards to layout, but it is unfortunate how small some pictures are as a result. The "Slav Epic," especially
Wolf
Jul 17, 2015 Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful art. fabulous to study. i often revisit this artist for inspiration while currently working in studio. i love the nouveau natural flourishes, so rich and dreamy.
Amy Denim
I love Mucha, having discovered him while studying abroad in Prague. While this book gives quite a bit of detail on the life of the artist I was disappointed that the whole first half of the book was in black and white. I understand the publishers probably chose this format to keep the price down, but it would have been nice to see the colors and nuances the well informed commentary gave when speaking about particular pictures instead of waiting until the latter half of the book to see them.
Serge Pierro
Dec 18, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
This collection of Alphose Mucha works is quite broad in its scope. Many types of media are included and the section on his sketchbook is especially fascinating. The first half of the book contains lots of information on the artist himself, though it is slightly disappointing, since many of the pieces are produced in black and white. However, the second half of the book is in color and presents a wide range of his output. A great collection of pieces with insightful annotations.
Seizure Romero
Mar 06, 2008 Seizure Romero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, art
This book is the catalogue for the exhibition of the same name which stopped at the Frye Art Museum in Seattle in the summer of 1998. It was amazing. I went twice, and occasionally kick myself for not going more (it was FREE! FREE, I tell you!). Fortunately, I have this book to keep my leg from getting too tired.
ClassicMaiden
Really good. I had some minor issues with the text dealing with his life, but in terms of art content this book is fantastic - both in the quality reproduction of his art and the overall coverage of his art, mainly in the catalog section of the book. In my opinion, that section was the best part of the book.
Mariah Strand
Apr 16, 2008 Mariah Strand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mariah by: Rich Flood
Largely unknown and grossly under appreciated Mucha was one of the worlds most prolific and talented artists. This book is difficult to find but more than worth it. Any book about Mucha is worth it, he will blow your mind. Ka-POW!!
Madelyn
Mucha is one of my favorite artists, so I love having this around for inspiration. Lots of nice art reproductions plus some good historical essays. Highly stylized and romantic artwork.
Dru Arnaldo
art nouveau and its proper fascination for the ages
Meredith
Oct 19, 2010 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mucha is my favorite artist.
Lis
Sep 05, 2007 Lis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite...
Alessio Maccarone
Alessio Maccarone rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Elverine
Elverine rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Astha
Astha marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Jenn Quinn
Jenn Quinn marked it as to-read
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it really liked it
Mimin Suryamah
Mimin Suryamah marked it as to-read
Rowan
Rowan marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Liz Bird
Liz Bird marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Rachel Lubeck
Rachel Lubeck marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Deal Sure
Deal Sure rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Andy E.
Andy E. marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Jessica Devinney
Jessica Devinney marked it as to-read
Beewhisperer
Beewhisperer marked it as to-read
  • Alphonse Mucha