Start by marking “Who Will Comfort Toffle?” as Want to Read:
Who Will Comfort Toffle?

Who Will Comfort Toffle? (Moomin Picture Books)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,018 ratings  ·  50 reviews

A SCANDINAVIAN MIDCENTURY CLASSIC BACK IN PRINT
Who Will Comfort Toffle? is the timeless, magical tale of the wistful wallflower, Toffle–too shy to speak to anyone and too fearful of the world he is watching from afar. Lonely and sad, Toffle runs away from home and watches the magical cast of Moomin Valley—Mymble, My, Snufkin, the merry whompses and the Fillyjonk—celebrate
Hardcover
Published 1998 by Schildts (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Who Will Comfort Toffle?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Will Comfort Toffle?

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
349th out of 1,307 books — 972 voters
The Summer Book by Tove JanssonMoomin, Vol. 4 by Tove JanssonMoomin, Vol. 3 by Tove JanssonMoomin by Tove JanssonMoomin, Vol. 2 by Tove Jansson
Books by Tove Jansson/Moomin related
8th out of 63 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Isabella
I loved this book when I was a little kid and just recently read it again. I never realized how much it influenced me.
Iriwindel
I had some time on my hands so I went to the bookstore and sat in a corner reading children's books, because I can.
And it was lovely actually.
The only reason it doesn't get five stars is that to me the English translation is unfamiliar - when it comes to names etc. For instance I found it odd that Hemulen was translated to "The Hemulen" because in Norwegian and Swedish the -en at the end is an indicator of definite form and a definite article on top seems superfluous in this instance. It would
Anna-Maija Tähkävuori
Aug 21, 2014 Anna-Maija Tähkävuori rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: loistavan yleispätevä
Recommended to Anna-Maija by: löysin onneksi itse
Uhohtumaton kirja! Luen sen tänään satavuotiaan Tove Janssonin kunniaksi. Osaan tarinan piirroksineen jo ulkoa mutta kirjaa lukiessa kokee yhä lämpimän henkäyksen, pään silityksen ja kädestä pitämisen
Lapsuuden ja nuoruuden rajalla tuntui usein samalta kuin Nyytistä: kaikki häilyi etääntyen ympäriltä. Tuli yhä pienempi yksinäisempi olo pelottavassa maailmassa.
Niinä hetkinä saattoi avata rauhoittavan kirjan Kuka lohduttaisi Nyytiä? Vastaus löytyi Mystä ja ystävällisestä Muumilaaksosta.
Ihmeellis
DoctorM
A wonderful, gentle, sad-sweet Moomin Valley story about depression and being lonely and finding friendship. Very much a delight...and a book that offers up kindness and hope. A small treasure for a grey winter's day...
victoria
From a dear Swedish friend. A treasure.
Julian Meynell
This is one of the best picture books ever written. The story is told in rhyme and because it is translated the poetry can be awkward at times and the translator is not quite up to the task.

The story is about Toffle who goes looking for someone to be comforted by and ends up finding a Mymble to be comforted by after many asventures.

The book has a large amount if text fir a picture book. Its illustrations are complex and can occupy a child while the text is being read.

Tove Jannson was a genius a
No Books
Il secondo libro illustrato di Tove Jansson, pubblicato nel 1960 a otto anni dal precedente, ha per protagonista il Knitt, un essere timidissimo e pauroso. Dopo un’ennesima notte insonne, il Knitt terrorizzato decide di abbandonare la sua casetta nel bosco. Incontrerà Omsa in carrozza, Filifiocche al galoppo, Mimla e Mi, e molti dei personaggi con cui la Jansson ha popolato la valle dei Mumin. Ma il Knitt è troppo timido per parlare con gli sconosciuti, e se ne sta sempre in disparte con il suo ...more
Natalie Campbell
Oct 06, 2007 Natalie Campbell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: don't be alone
why am i so bad at reviewing my books? what kind of bookclub is this?

i bought this book from a store called Kiosk which is run by marco, our computer technician, and (mostly, started by) his wife. what they do is travel to other countries for a few months and shop and visit manufacturers and then come back to the US and open a temporary store in SoHo where they sell "simple everyday" things which are examples of interesting / inspiring design or relate to their idea of the country they went to.
Inna Swinton
Love this Book - a real adventure with a valuable lesson about friendship!

This book has it all - a fabulous narrative, fun characters, amazing settings, and poetry. The translation works well for us and we have read this book many times. We also love the book about Little My that ends with Mama giving Moomin and friends beautiful berry juice. Just fun and simple and the drawings inspire little imaginations. Moomin and Friends rock!
Henry
All-time favorite since I was little, even more so after I got very depressed at such a young age. I used to go home and read this book whenever it got bad, and my mother just recently gave it to me after all these years. I identified with Toffle very much and I still find the book comforting and really important.
S.M.M. Lindström
Vad kan man säga om Tove Janssons böcker som inte redan blivit sagt? Det finns inslag av melankoli i dem, men stämningen är främst trolsk och får en att vilja vända blad, men inte förrän man studerat den sidan man är på klart.
Absolutely lovely, both the hand-written-like text (I read the Finnish translation), the story, and the pictures. Having been a shy kid like Toffle, I would have needed this story 20 years ago. Well, better late than never!
Rosemary
I own the original English translation so I can't judge the newest version. But I adore my battered and beat up copy, a treasure found on the bottom shelf of a very odd little used bookstore, and the rough condition just adds to poignancy of Toffle's journey. May you be delighted and comforted by discovering this wise, odd, and gently humorous picture book.
Catriona
This book is just beautiful. A treasure and a joy.
BokBeate
My first encounter with Tove Jansson.
Rose
A lovely kid's book with beautiful, full-color drawings. I really like Toffle!
Oscar
This short, lavishly illustrated narrative poem is a testament to Jansson's genius. This tale of Knytt is a loving one that touches upon shyness and depression, and the courage required to overcome it. The backdrop is the always colourful Moomin valley with its great characters and perfect balance between cosiness and the awe and fear before the overwhelming forces of nature.
Carolina
This was one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES when I was a kid! Whenever I was sad or feeling down my mom would take me to the library and we would bring "Who will comfort Toffle?" home. My mom would read it aloud for me and I loved the drawings and all the funny characters. This is a wonderful book filled with dreams and it makes your imagination sprout!

Enjoy!
Gonçalo Serra
Um bonito livro da finlandesa Tove Jansson. Bom para ler em voz alta, ainda que a tradução imediata do inglês para a nossa língua seja algo difícil: manter a rima que lhe confere uma magia adicional. É de ler e de ter. Que irá confortar o Toffle? Tímido e só, terá ele coragem de enfrentar o mundo e descobir que pode ser corajoso e vencer a solidão...
Emelie
The one star is from the childhood me - I didn't fancy this book at all as a kid. I think it scared me, and I also think that I didn't like the style of the writing or the drawings and I have a hunch I won't like it now either. Have no intention really to reread in now, and I think my childhood opinion is suitable enough for a children's book.
Sofie Brånedal
Söt och viktig liten bok med oslagbara rim.
Miia
May 05, 2013 Miia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, people who are shy
Recommended to Miia by: My cousin
I can't believe nobody read this book to me when I was little. This book is just amazing and I love Tove Jansson's original illustrations. I would recommend every shy person (such as me) to read this book and really think about the message the author sends through it..
Katharine
Marking this as 5 stars, I feel I have to downgrade all my other 5-star reviews! It's a gorgeous, timeless story of poor shy, fearful Toffle, who only becomes brave when there is someone else to save. A new and absolute favorite.
I was thinking...what books have I read recently. And repeatedly. This one immediately came to mind. It's sure long for a kids' book. I can recite much of it by heart, if you PWs would like an impromptu reading. :)
Janina S
Such a heartwarming story about little Toffle who is a bit shy and afraid of many things. This one is my son's all time favourite book and I love it too!
Rafael
Jag är förmodligen lite skadad av alla spanjorer som skriver perfekta verser, men är hon inte lite....hmm....klumpig ibland? Fast jag gillar den ändå!
Michael
Just make sure you get the original Kingsley Hart translation - The new Sophie Hannah one is too much Sophie Hannah and too little Tove Jansson.
Debrarian
A rhyming tale of the lonely Toffle, who finds it hard to reach out to friends. Delightful illustrations of fillyjonks and whompers having fun.
Robin
Sep 14, 2013 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Beautiful. The longer books are still my favourites, but this is gorgeous, and better for younger kids since it has pictures.
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus and Pettson) (Findus & Pettson)
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Skuggan över stenbänken (Skuggserien, #1)
  • Lotta on Troublemaker Street
  • Valoa valoa valoa
  • Kun kyyhkyset katosivat
  • The Four Seasons of Brambly Hedge
  • Children of the Forest
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...
Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3) The Summer Book Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5) Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2) The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)

“På natten blir det hemska mycket värre än det är.” 0 likes