Start by marking “The Baker Street Dozen” as Want to Read:
The Baker Street Dozen

The Baker Street Dozen

It’s elementary that any Conan Doyle fan will want this splendid set of Sherlock Holmes mysteries—twelve timeless classics performed as radio theater, linked by violin music interludes.

The great Sir John Gielgud stars as the sleuth of Baker Street, with Ralph Richardson as his venerable companion, Dr. Watson, and Orson Welles as the nefarious Professor Moriarty. With three
Published March 1st 1989 by Congdon & Weed (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Baker Street Dozen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baker Street Dozen

Alma
Apr 14, 2014 Alma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Towards the end of his writing career, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was asked to list his 12 favorite Sherlock Holmes stories. This book contains all those stories plus one more. Each is accompanied an essay written by a noted “Sherlockian,” Isaac Asimov among them. The book also has some other interesting trivia, such as a list of the 12 worst stories and the most intriguing women characters. I’ve always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, mostly because I’m fascinated by the characters the ...more
Chrissy
Dec 04, 2014 Chrissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you not love John Gielgud as Holmes with a bonus of Orson Welles and Moriarity. I have no idea why they were in the order they were in because they were backwards--finishing with when the 2 began living together but that's not a big deal if you know the premise of their partnership to begin with.
Mandy
Wonderful! A Baker Street Dozen (Audio) was so much fun to listen to! I am going to be bummed out for awhile now with each story I listen to on my drives. The sound effects and differnt character voices for each story made you feel like you were watching Sherlock and Watson even more then if you were reading them. You felt like a fly on the wall. You heard them poor their drinks, their voices changed with every emotion, there was music and sounds from the street. There was gunfire and screams an ...more
Kristine
I have never read any Sherlock Holmes. His elementary deductions are intriguing. It was an interesting collection. I was surprised that Sheelock seemed to meet his demise somewhere in the middle and the remaining stories were recounted by Watson.
Mike Ogilvie
Apr 14, 2015 Mike Ogilvie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-fiction
It was pretty decent. I didn't realize it was actually the actual audio from an old radio dramatization of Sherlock Holmes stories. The actors were great. You could tell some of the old hokey radio play sound effects. And it was a little too abridged for what I normally like.
Bunny
It's listening to the full radio dramatizations, which is seriously amazing.

Oh, dear. I like the idea of this a lot better than the actual audio book. First of all, the violin playing is possibly the most ear-wrenching irritation I've had on an audio book. And I've heard some bad narrators, so that's saying something.

Then, the stories aren't in any semblance of order. This wouldn't be so bad if the "last Holmes story ever" wasn't on, like, Disc 2, and the tale of how Holmes and Watson ended up l
Brenda Fielder
Jun 06, 2016 Brenda Fielder rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Enjoyed the stories primarily because I love anything to do with Sherlock Holmes. However, I found the dramatization distracting and over acting. Next time I'll stick with narration.
Sara
Oct 08, 2012 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comments really, not a "review":
If I could I'd probably really give it a 3.5. It was entertaining to read all the stories together that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle noted as his favorites, and it was mostly interesting to see the reactions and comments of the collected "Sherlockians" in between, though the essays varied widely in quality. I'd probably recommend this only to the most invested/devoted Sherlock Holmes fans. With the slew of new Sherlock and Sherlock-like media out in the last few years,
Lori S.
It's enjoyable to listen to these stories as dramatizations. Quite enjoyable to hear them pretty much as they were originally written.
Jennifer Baratta
Great stories to listen to. I read and watched on PBS.
Billy
Feb 09, 2015 Billy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a collection of 12 shorts stories based on the stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I listened to the book on my drive and just came away expecting more from it.
Erin
Oct 08, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
I first acquired this book in high school, after finding that I enjoyed The Hound of the Baskervilles. When I read it then, I skipped all the essays reflecting on what about each story qualified it as one of Doyle's or Baker Street aficionados' favorites. Upon picking up the book recently, I found those essays as entertaining as the stories themselves. In particular I enjoyed Isaac Asimov's lone negative critique of "The Adventure of the Final Problem".
Mayda
Jul 07, 2012 Mayda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
These dramatized episodes of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes are a true delight. With a cast consisting of Sir John Gielgud as Holmes and Ralph Richardson as Watson as well as Orson Welles as Moriarty, these short stories come alive with excitement as Holmes solves the cases. This audio version complete with sound effects will take you back to Holmes’ England and what life was like then.
Scott Wright
Nov 03, 2012 Scott Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic radio drama audio. Fun voices if you can stand the dramatized idea. I like it so it was great for me. A fun selection of stories. All of them fairly short so a quick listen made it enjoyable.
The violin playing though you need to fast forard through. It will kill your ear drumbs if played at the same level as the rest of the audio.
Zora
Jan 09, 2014 Zora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-than-me
Radio dramas of a 13 Holmes stories. I love radio drama and enjoyed this, with performances by A-list actors.
Shoryl
Oct 26, 2007 Shoryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes, Mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
So, obviously, I'm not a huge mystery fan if you look through my books. But, Pj Doyle is a long-time family friend, and so I had to get a copy of the book.

To my surprise, not only did I enjoy the 13 (a baker's dozen) Holmes stories, but I was amused by the essays as well.
PennsyLady (Bev)
Jan 22, 2016 PennsyLady (Bev) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Acclaimed, exciting, fully dramatized performances of twelve Conan Doyle classics, performed by John Gielgud, Ralph Richardson, and Orson Welles."

Radio Theater with violin interludes...
Ash Ryan
Aug 18, 2015 Ash Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent (and very faithful) adaptations of the original stories, starring John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson. Orson Welles is perfectly cast as Professor Moriarty.
Julia Hendon
Julia Hendon is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2016
Janice I
Janice I rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Gramt
Gramt added it
Sep 25, 2016
Vernona I. Parker
Vernona I. Parker marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Laura Belshaw
Laura Belshaw marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Paul J. Biondi
Paul J. Biondi rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Katrenna
Katrenna rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Slade Smith
Slade Smith rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Case of the Baker Street Irregular
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Exit Sherlock Holmes
  • Good Morning, Irene (Irene Adler, #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
  • Doctor Who: Ghost Light
  • Doctor Who: Eater of Wasps
  • The Blackheath Poisonings: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • Murder in the Vatican: The Church Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes
  • METAtropolis: Green Space
  • A Particular Eye for Villainy (Lizzie Martin, #4)
  • Detection by Gaslight: 14 Victorian Detective Stories (Unabridged)
  • The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade
  • Doctor Who: Dragonfire (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 137)
  • The Singing Bone (Dr. Thorndyke Mysteries, #5)
  • The Valley of Fear: A Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel
  • Doctor Who: Head Games
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...