Start by marking “Fear Less: Real Truth About Risk, Safety, and Security in a Time of Terrorism” as Want to Read:
Fear Less: Real Truth About Risk, Safety, and Security in a Time of Terrorism

Fear Less: Real Truth About Risk, Safety, and Security in a Time of Terrorism

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Gavin de Becker's landmark book The Gift Of Fear showed millions of readers how to better protect themselves from violence and unwarranted fear. Now, in Fear Less, de Becker answers the questions many Americans have been asking since September 11th.

Can air travel be safe? What is the risk of biological or chemical attack? Can the government detect and prevent future acts?
Published December 1st 2002 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Fear Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Less

Tracy
There is a VERY good reason why the title of this book is two word's rather than one. I am no political buff but you don't have to be to read and understand this book. It tell's the reader, among other thing's, to listen to their instinct's, specifically reguarding situation's where you see sometheing or someone that makes you nervous yet you do nothing. One example it give's is were someone placed a travel (carry-on size) bag on a public transit train that had the word BOMB written in big bold ...more
Michael Brady
Gavin De Becker does a fine job drawing out the differences between risk, threat, hazard, anxiety, worry, and true fear vs unwarranted fear. Where Bruce Schneier (in his also excellent Beyond Fear) credits government with whipping up unwarranted fear, De Becker is more inclined to credit the news media. Published in 2002, when 9/11 and the anthrax letters still burned in everyone's imagination, it holds up very nicely. I’m a little surprised and disappointed that De Becker recycles large chunks ...more
June 2013 - I find it ironic that I read most of this post-9/11 book while sitting in airports or actually on the planes themselves. It's an easy book to read, with clear, thoughtful writing. de Becker manages to make tough truths about security and risk in today's terror-focused world more accessible and less scary to those who are inundated with reasons to be afraid. It's well worth the time to read (and it doesn't take long) and is definitely one I'll be recommending.

Alice
“Let’s be certain we don’t accept any… security proposals that reduce anxiety… when… security proposals that reduce risk… are actually less expensive and more effective...The key precaution in airline security is in the air, not on the ground. It is an effective entry-resistant cockpit door that is religiously kept closed throughout every flight.” Gavin de Becker, FEAR LESS, Real Truth about Risk, Safety, and Security in a time of Terrorism.
Djinnjer
Covers some of the same ground as The Gift of Fear, but in less detail. The focus is on terrorism and dealing constructively with fear on a national level, more than personal safety. If you've read The Gift of Fear, this one is almost unnecessary.
Denise
I read The Gift of Fear, by the same author a couple of years ago, and I loved it. I was really thrilled with what I was learning about fear, human instincts, intuition, protection, etc. I ran into this book in an old books store, and got it thinking it was going to be as exciting as The Gift of Fear. However I never felt I was getting any new information regarding security issues. I still think The Gif of Fear is much better.

It didn't hurt to read it, but it was not that enlightening as his pri
Bryan
I'm treading lightly here because I recently admonished some reviewers for judging one book based on the author's content or style in another. That being said I was criticizing them because they were rating the author badly because one fiction book was not as amazing as another and such a departure from one book to the next. In this case I honestly feel that DeBecker wrote the same book with a different context.

I love The Gift of Fear. It is one I reference regularly in my work and practice. Th
Melanie Baker
The Gift of Fear -- arguably de Becker's best known book -- is one I'd recommend everyone read, if not own. While it focuses on unstable situations, largely, its lessons are universal and always relevant.

The same, too, with this book, though de Becker was writing it when September 11th happened, and it was released in 2002. It's very much of its time, and in some ways, a lot has changed since then. In most ways, though, not much has changed since then.

My favourite section of the book was his dec
Kristina
I agree with the others; this book was surprisingly redundant of The Gift of Fear, and that one was more comprehensive and broadly focused, so is the superior read.
Anne
Jun 18, 2014 Anne added it
Basically the same ground is covered from The Gift of Fear but only as fear relates to terrorism. So this one is a little redundant if you've read his other book but Ny of his are worth picking up.
Marya Kowal
I LOVE the Gift of Fear and Protecting the Gift. So I was expecting something just as valuable this time...even though the book is 10 years old.

I was disappointed. It seemed to say the same stuff as the other two books, and didn't really add much to the knowledge he'd already given me.

I did like the references for talking to children about terrorism, though, that was new and helpful. Otherwise, you'd be better off sticking with his other two bestsellers. Every parent and woman should read Protec
Kjes
terrorism expert says worry is a way to avoid change (action). "Worry helps fight off that dreadful feeling that there's nothing we can do, because worrying feels like we are doing something." "It can be a cloying way to have connection with others." "Worry gives people some of the very same consequences as if the dreaded outcome occurred--while doing nothing constructive to prevent it."
Susan
I hate to rate a book "in comparison to..." but I have here. As in his other writings, de Becker has some fascinating insights into the darker side of human behavior here, focused specifically on terroristic acts. If, in the wake of recent events, you are terrified of being caught in a terror attack, then grab this book. Otherwise, The Gift of Fear is a much more thorough place to start.
Heather
After reading Gavin de Becker's first two books, I was really looking forward to this one. However, it took me months to get through this as I kept abandoning it for fiction titles. Anyway, much of the same information in the first two books is repeated and I found the last half of this book to be the most pertinent.
Daina
Mar 28, 2008 Daina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Daina by: Craig Ferguson, The Late Late Show
I heard an interview with the Author on The Late Late Show and I thought he was so interesting that I checked out the book. It was very interesting to learn a little bit about what Fear actually is. He also wrote The Gift of Fear, which I haven't read yet but have heard was very good.
Danna
Great follow-up to "The Gift of Fear" and though I don't feel that I learned anything new, it's good to feel validated. I think this is a well-written book for his target audience, and I wish someone the 24-hour news cycle business would consider championing his point of view.
Opa
I found some things interesting in this book. Bottom line, the author details how we worry too much about things that have a miniscule probability of happening. I would add that the perfect love of the Lord Jesus Christ cast out all fear.
Lynne
May 14, 2008 Lynne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lynne by: Stumbled upon it at the library
This book, written by security expert, sets the record straight on trusting your instincts and what people really need to fear (and what they don't). This is a book I have recommended to every friend I have.
Symphonyvision
The Gift of Fear is the go-to book for De Becker, but if you've already read it, or you still need a post 911 grounding session, this book is for you.
May Abbey
Gavin de Becker's three books THE GIFT OF FEAR, PROTECTING THE GIFT, AND FEARLESS, are all so great. It teaches us to trust our instinct. He is an amazing man.
Excellent Book! I would highly recommend this to anyone. As with his other books, he focuses on the strength of intuition and how to be practical.
Niesha
Although most of my fears don't involve terrorists, this book did address many of my anxieties and my relationship with fear in a very helpful way.
Pabloslist
Re Terrorism: How to manage fear, & that of your children, influence own safety & help protect your country.
Greg Smith
Excellent resource for understanding the risks (real and imagined) of our world and what we can do about it.
Michael
Good read but a bit dated!
Rob
A must read.
Becci
Becci marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
KONSTANTINOS Tsev
KONSTANTINOS Tsev marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Dckrsn75
Dckrsn75 marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • Why Men Are the Way They Are
  • Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training and Real World Violence
  • Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood
  • Don't Call It Love: Recovery From Sexual Addiction
  • Principles of Personal Defense
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • Understanding Terror Networks
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • Warrior Politics: Why Leadership Requires a Pagan Ethos
  • Art As Medicine: Creating a Therapy of the Imagination
  • Mortal Sins: Sex, Crime, and the Era of Catholic Scandal
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • Reality Boulevard
  • The Paranoia Switch: How Terror Rewires Our Brains and Reshapes Our Behavior--And How We Can Reclaim Our Courage
  • Evolution of Consciousness: The Origins of the Way We Think
  • Information Anxiety
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
31933
Gavin de Becker is an expert on the prediction and management of violence. He has served on President's Advisory Board at the U.S. Department of Justice and the Governor's Advisory Board at the California Department of Mental Health; he now runs a consulting firm which advises government agencies, universities, police departments, corporations, and media figures on the assessment of threats and ha ...more
More about Gavin de Becker...
The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) Just 2 Seconds The Kidpower Book for Caring Adults: Personal Safety, Self-Protection, Confidence, and Advocacy for Young People Thinking Caps