Start by marking “When a Child Wanders” as Want to Read:
When a Child Wanders

When a Child Wanders

Robert L. Millet provides hope for families with wayward children by focusing on the scriptural and prophetic promises to those who have received the blessings of the gospel covenant. Wandering children and the trail of attendant sorrows are no respecter of persons. These make their way into the families of the rich and poor, active, and less active, functional and dysfunc ...more
Published January 15th 2005 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about When a Child Wanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When a Child Wanders

Shauna
Oct 03, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
How could this book not have 5 stars? For anyone with a child who has wandered, this book offers hope! Life wasn't so distressing after I read this book! I'd recommend this to ANYONE with a wandering child!!!!
Tanya
Sep 04, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent, relatively short book. In the beginning he says that the book isn't just written to comfort those grieving over wandering children but that he would use gospel principles to provide hope. He used several insightful quotes from LDS prophets and simply laid out what is taught in the scriptures and encourages readers to have a broader perspective. He reminds us to always love and be the best people we can be and then trust in the Lord and His plan. Great book!
Greg
Aug 09, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing
No parent is immune from the potential for a "wandering child," one who departs from the training, support, and hopes of the parents. When that departure occurs, I have seen parents devasted nearly to prostration by their fears for their offspring. Where there is fear for their eternal salvation, the fears are incrementally stronger. Under such circumstances, the hope that is offered by a clear understanding of the gospel can be a tremendous source of strength to the individual parents, the mari ...more
Suzette Kunz
Oct 18, 2015 Suzette Kunz rated it liked it
This book focused a lot on the covenants we make in the temple and how powerful that sealing power is. He had some interesting ideas about the spirit of Elijah in relation to our wandering children. He talked about perspective and how it can help us keep hope when things seem to be going bad. Some good insights.
Ellen
Jul 30, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
Excellent explanation of the gospel and the hope that is ours through the atonement of Jesus Christ. At least, that's what I got out of it.
Linda
Apr 27, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Some really interesting information in this book. More about doctrine really for me. A good read.
Wendi
Sep 02, 2008 Wendi rated it it was amazing
From page 148
The family is the most important unit in time and in eternity. No work, no service, no outside agency or interests can supersede the family in eternal significance. Even though the challenges of this life -- including the demands for acclaim, prestige, acquisition of this world's goods -- may pull tenaciously and constantly at us, some things simply matter more than others.
Suzan
Oct 14, 2008 Suzan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, favorites
An excellent and comforting book for parents with children who have strayed, but also for any parent who would like to do whatever they can to prevent that from happening.
I liked his thoughts that we need to be more sensitive and compassionate to those who have "wandering" children, even if we are lucky enough not to be in that situation.
Pam
Sep 02, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing
Comforting. This book helps us remember we aren't the only ones experiencing this challenge in life and the Lord is there for us, no matter how difficult it seems. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has a loved one who has let go for a while, also for church leaders, it really helps us all be more accepting, tolerant and loving.
Amie
Jul 14, 2008 Amie rated it it was amazing
I read this book while prayerfully searching for answers to help my Mom while her and my Dad were going through some struggles with my younger brother. It brought a lot of comfort to me and helped me to be able to comfort her as well. This book helped me through a tough time and the things I learned from this book continue to help me today.
ROSALIE
Jun 20, 2008 ROSALIE rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
A rather intense read for parents or anyone concerned about the spiritual welfare of someone close to them. It's a small quick read, but feels deeply personal and encouraging. Written from the LDS perspective, there is help and words of encouragement for everyone who might be struggling with a wayward loved one.
Dana
Mar 28, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
For those of us who feel stress and anquish over our childrens choices - and that would probably be all of us, this book's for you. It helped me put things into perspective, and feel some peace and comfort.
Glenna
Sep 10, 2008 Glenna rated it it was amazing
What a comforting study in the atonement and the hope that comes in waiting for family to take hold of the gospel for themselves. Every parent who believes in the gospel of Jesus Christ should read this.
Sandrine
Oct 28, 2008 Sandrine rated it it was amazing
What a comforting book for one that struggles with loved ones that have strayed... It is balm to the soul. It renews a desire to keep on hoping, keep on praying and keep on enduring for those we love.
Marva
Sep 23, 2011 Marva rated it really liked it
Very helpful to understand the doctrine. It gives hope and peace of mind for parents of children who choose a different direction for their lives.
Rhonda
Jul 29, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
This is a book that offers comfort and direction for any parent experiencing the heartbreak and challenges of a child's choices.
Lori
Jan 19, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, self-help
A great book that gives a very eternal perspective to the way we can deal with the heart ache and pain of a very real world.
Pat
May 28, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Because of what's said in this book I have hope for me and my children. The last section is very good and encouraging.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
For anyone with children or who work with youth this is a must read. So good. So comforting. So much hope.
E. Williams
Apr 10, 2009 E. Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-books
spiritual help for parents with a troubled child and great explanation of the parable of the prodigal son
Tina
Jul 12, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
A great book for parents living through the teenage years with their kids.
Linda
Dec 23, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Given to me by a dear friend, it was uplifting, inspiring and hopeful
Erica
Mar 16, 2008 Erica marked it as to-read
A friend recommended this to me.
angelle
Nov 02, 2008 angelle rated it really liked it
Very comforting...
Martha
Mar 13, 2011 Martha rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!
David Wardell
David Wardell rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Rachel Raisor
Rachel Raisor marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Robert L. Millet, professor of ancient scripture and former dean of Religious Education at Brigham Young University, holds a master s degree in psychology from BYU and a Ph.D. in religious studies from Florida State University. He is a popular speaker and prolific writer whose other books include Lost and Found: Reflections on the Prodigal Son; Grace Works; and More Holiness Give Me. He and his wi ...more
More about Robert L. Millet...