Start by marking “A Piece of Normal: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Piece of Normal: A Novel

A Piece of Normal: A Novel

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Dear Lily . . .

At age thirty-four, Lily Brown has her life just the way she likes it. And what’s not to like? She’s got a great job as an advice columnist for the local newspaper, an adorable four-year-old son, and an ex-husband, Teddy, who still thinks she’s wonderful. She even lives in the same beach house where she grew up, with a great view of Long Island Sound and ple
Published March 27th 2007 by Broadway Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Piece of Normal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Piece of Normal

Melissa T
Feb 11, 2008 Melissa T rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern
This book is just weird. Weird! Odd characters, bizarre relationships (VERY bizarre) between characters, and strange plot line. Now that I've used every synonym for "weird" I can think of without busting out the thesaurus, I'd better stop. Don't bother with this one.
Bamboozlepig
Another DNF. The humor was okay, but a few chapters in and none of the characters called to me. I'd class this as slightly heavy chick-lit, but full of the usual cliches of fucked up families and ex-husbands and a hot new dude the female character wants to bang. Also plenty of family secrets and a set of sisters that can't get along. Meh.
Lori
Aug 29, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. It is a typical "I have to change my life" novel about a woman who's parents died and she had to take care of her crazy little sister. The sister disappeared for 10 years and is now back hoping to be fully accepted. The sister starts dating the ex-husband, they find out about their mother's lesbian affair, she meets a hunky new Super Man, and tries to tie the broken CT beach community back together. However, she realizes it never was perfect. It was all pretty typical and pre ...more
Dpic
Not even finished 1st chapter. I am not very fond of first person style or talk of dying hair!
Jun 22, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Maddie Dawson, aka Sandi Shelton. love her stuff
Lettie Cox
Jan 22, 2016 Lettie Cox rated it liked it
Just "ok"
Renae
Apr 03, 2010 Renae rated it liked it
I picked this up after reading "Kissing Games of the World" which is by the same author. Not nearly as good as Kissing Games and more in the Chicklit genre, but still a good read. There are a few pretty heavy topics addressed it this book, but it doesn't feel heavy in the way the author presents the story. Strangely, at the beginning, it reminded me of an episode of Pushing Up Daisies . . . heavy topics, yet it feels whimsical and everyone is a bit odd.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this author's most recent book and really liked it, so I requested her other books from the library. After reading a second book by this author, I'm definitely a fan. Her stories immediately draw you in and are easy reading. This one centers around Lily Brown whose life is in a rut and how that changes when her sister Dana comes back to town after ten years. That's a VERY basic summary; it sounds like other books, but this plot is definitely unique.
Sanjeedha Sanofer
Jul 30, 2014 Sanjeedha Sanofer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the story deals with many complicated relationships which don't have any thick standing in our hearts..on the whole..there is no proper plot and the whole characterization is quite blatant..worst one..
Marti
Jan 05, 2014 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me feel like my life & my family are really together - whew! Glad for a happy ending, but lots of things were left unresolved. A good read on a snowy day.
Celeste Stinson
Jun 08, 2009 Celeste Stinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You won't gain any brain cells by reading this book, but it's different from your usual "chick lit" and pretty entertaining. Her profession as an advice columnist adds an interesting element. I stayed up until midnight on a work night to finish the book and I didn't regret it, which is a big compliment in my world.
Katherine Spencer Inskeep
pretty average storyline - Lily Brown, advice columnist, deals with her ex-husband (who won't go away and ends up hooked up with her sister), same sister (returned after running away 10 years earier), the "colony" old neighbors set in their ways and a new man in her life. Just needed a bit more spunk.
Jo
Jul 10, 2015 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a random pick from the library - and I enjoyed it quite a bit... I smiled for the last few books I've read all have to do with forgiveness and letting go... maybe that's a reminder I need right now :o) a few less pleasant words - but overall a pleasant read!
Alison
Apr 27, 2008 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was better than most light "women's fiction." The author steered clear of heavy-handed imagery and similes, and I thought she used dialogue and flashbacks in a way that kept me interested. The ending was predictable, but decent. All in all, an enjoyable read.
Kim
Apr 14, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wanted to smack the younger sister, and shake her 'till her teeth rattled. She needed a Cher to Nick Cage ala "Moonstruck" smack. I wanted to shout "Get over it!" to her several times and could not belive her gaul. Can't say much else or I'll give it away.
Connie
Jan 05, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I liked it's pace. It kept my interest and I quite enjoyed the twisted up relationships.

It was so funny too.

Easy to read and there is nothing wrong with that. I about broke my head open reading Wuthering Heights.
Jamie
Jun 03, 2009 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book was that you can understand that sometimes you want to change who you are so badly, you make snap decisions that you regret...like bleaching her hair and then leaving the bleach in too long because she was distracted...
Amy
Jan 25, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I like the fact that everything doesn't wrap up perfectly well at the end. I'm left wondering what's going to happen with everyone. Highly dysfunctional family, but aren't they all.
Anissa
Nov 21, 2010 Anissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I couldn't stop reading. It was not totally predictable, but it was also not completely unbelievable. I will defiantly read this author again.
Suzanne
I liked this book right up until the end. She wasn't as strong as I hoped she'd be...she put up with way to much crap from other people.
Veronica
I'll give the same review as the other book. Interesting read, but too close in story-line to her other book.
Kim
Oct 11, 2009 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe only 2.5 stars——I enjoyed it. Light, but that's what I wanted. A different story than the usual.
Tara
Aug 22, 2007 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a light read that was pretty funny. I will definitely pick up more of Shelton's books.
Jill Moroney
Feb 14, 2012 Jill Moroney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I liked the characters and the story was interesting.
Ann Costello
Advice columnist with dysfunctional family. Predictable, occasionally amusing.
Patti
Oct 26, 2010 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story; I enjoyed the author's humor and the quirky characters.
Teena
Sep 18, 2010 Teena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. An easy read that Kept you wanting more.
Susan
Apr 25, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i just read this, liked it. easy reading, amusing
Peggy Julicher
Just something to read on the beach.
Patti
May 16, 2011 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, very crazy!
  • Forgive the Moon
  • A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)
  • Home Repair
  • Garner on Language and Writing: Selected Essays and Speeches of Bryan A. Garner
  • Taking Care of the Me in Mommy: Becoming a Better Mom - Spirit, Body & Soul
  • Hatter Fox
  • Hunting the King
  • Echo Island
  • The Divine Message of the DNA
  • Still Life: a novella (Still Life #1)
  • Wanted  (Juliana, #3)
  • Small Miracles: Extraordinary Coincidences from Everyday Life
  • Mulberry Park
  • Breaking the Rules (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #14)