Start by marking “The Legacy of Gird Omnibus” as Want to Read:
The Legacy of Gird Omnibus

The Legacy of Gird Omnibus (Legacy of Gird #1-2 omnibus)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Moon's The Deed of Paksennarion has been a blockbuster success in Baen's one-volume trade paper edition--and now the trilogy has a companion. The Legacy of Gird tells of Gird, the liberator, who teaches his people that they can fight--and win--against their Mage-born rulers, and Luap, Gird's sworn follower, who dares not lie and cannot tell the truth--nor face the future.
Trade Paperback, 864 pages
Published September 1st 1996 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy of Gird Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy of Gird Omnibus

Isis

One if the things that makes these books work so well, especially after having read at least The Deed of Paksenarrion, is the...more
Sara Forsberg
A prequel to Moon's praised Paksenarrion-series, this is a collection of two separate novels, and reading them in one volume may not be the best way to enjoy them - it feels a tad disjointed. The first book is the story of Gird, an important spiritual figure in the Paksenarrion-series, and it intriguingly tells his story a bit differently than it has been interpreted by Paks and the other characters. The second book tells the story of Luap, a character that's one of my favorites if only because...more
Jeff
Rich in detail, especially around peasant life and military tactics, and with a strong underlying concern for morality, and the relationship of morality to a people's history and way of life, their religion, and the rule of law. But still an engaging fantasy story with lots of adventure and action. The second of the two books is my favourite of the series so far; Luap is the most complex character yet, the most human and the most fallible, and for me the most sympathetic. Overall a very entertai...more
Francesco
Vote: 3,25
Class: L-B3 (FP) (*)

(Prequel of the Deed of Paksennarion Trilogy)

This books are certainly interesting and with a well built setting (which helps us to understand more of the world behind the Deed of Paksennarion), but they are not even close to be the great fantasy series the original Trilogy was.

The world (3,50) is perhaps the best thing in this books: we came to know much more of its history and people and it's a convincing fantasy world.

The characters (3,00) are somewhat shallow an...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
This is a prequel to the Paksenarrion novels I first read in the omnibus edition of the first three Paks novels, The Deeds of Paksenarrion, the tale of a "sheepfarmer's daughter" who becomes a paladin, a holy knight, in the "Order of Gird." This is the story of the man known in Paks' day centuries later as "Saint Gird" and his successful peasant's revolt against the magelords. It too is an omnibus edition--of two novels, Surrender None and Liar's Oath. I loved the Paks novel, and decided to rere...more
Beth Cato
This book is actually part of a re-published compilation of two books called The Legacy of Gird; I'm currently reading the second book.[return][return]From the Paks books (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegiance, Oath of Gold), some is already known of Gird - that he was a farmer who trained fellow farmers to be soldiers and together they overthrew an oppressive government. By the time of Paksenarrion, Gird is regarded as something akin to a powerful saint - a man chosen by the gods to save t...more
Stephanie
This omnibus consists of two novels. The first is Surrender None which tells the tale of the legendary Gird. This is the Gird that Paks is a paladin of in the Deeds of Paksinarion series. It tells the tale of how Gird went from a peasant farmer to a leader of the peasants against the unfair rule of the royal class. It shows the humanity of Gird including his mistakes and his demons but also shows his desire of fairness to all and skill as a leader. As with any Moon military novel the details of...more
Christy
Wonderful! Really matched my mindset, since it describes the rise of Tai Kwon Doh like training while I earned my first belts. This is one of my favorite authors because she really look at integrity closely. Not always a comfortable read, but always entertaining.
Diane
Having really enjoyed Moon's The Deed of Paksennarion, I expected this to perhaps continue that story. Instead, the first novel in this omnibus is the story of Gird, himself, thus taking place several hundred years before Paksenarrion's life. For reasons that become clear in the second novel, the Gird as known to his followers several hundred years later is RATHER different from the life story in this compilation. Even knowing the outcome of his war, it is still a riveting tale: how a peasant ca...more
Barbara
Sep 02, 2011 Barbara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
I loved the three Paksenarrion stories, I loved the first two books in the new series (Oath of Fealty, Kings of the North). But this one defeated me. I got about 3/4 of the way through Surrender None, put it down and just could not bring myself to pick it back up. And there it sat--taunting me--for over a year.
I finally got tired of looking at the book.
I know I am probably missing out on a few things that would add to my enjoyment of the new series. But I am just going to have to miss out.
Catrine
I liked Surrender None, the first book in this omnibus, well enough. Seeing how Gird, who later on became a saint, lived and died was interesting and intriguing and not at all what I would have expected. Liar's Oath, the second half, was... not so interesting. It was okay, I guess, but it never gripped me, and I found the ending awkward and forced. Of course it didn't really help that I didn't like the main character either...
Lori
The first book in this omnibus, Surrender None was pretty good - I enjoyed learning more about Gird, the person. I struggled with the 2nd book, I found Luap an unpleasant person and since he was a major player in the story, he made it less enjoyable. The weakest books in this series so far - glad I had read about Paks and the stories after before this as I would not have read the others after struggling with Luap!
Craig
Prequel to The Deed of Paksenarrion. The first book, Surrender None, is pretty close to 4 stars ; the second, Liar's Oath doesn't come close to making 3 (the last half of it especially is incredibly slow). So, 3 stars overall. Still recommended for readers who love this world, but I wouldn't feel guilty about skimming the last 100-200 pages and moving on to the other books.
Ilex
The edition that I have is full of multiple errors, especially in the Liar's Oath half. It was very jarring and made reading the book difficult. Overall, I found the pacing of these two stories to be wildly variable, and it made the entire volume confusing to read.
Katrina Pietromica
Excellent prequel to The Deed of Paksenarrion which finally answers Paks question of how Gird fought real soldiers with farmers tools. Also explains the relationship of Luap and who he really was and how he effected the world with his pride.
Wielli
An interesting prequel which tells the story of Gird, the reluctant revolutionary, and Luap, his second not-in-command, chronicler, and ultimately, misguided betrayer.
Still, I missed Paksenarrion, it's just not the same without her.
Josh
This story did not live up to the earlier books. I found it boring and at the end even thought of just stopping. The end was anti-climactic and I could have spent my time reading something more worthwhile.
M.C.
Not her best, but definitely enlightening, and it certainly helped illuminate Crown of Renewal! I liked the parts with Gird best, and the concept of parrion as coin for marriages.
R. Michael Litchfield
the first part, the Gird stuff, rocked like an earthquake, the second was whiney and kind of confused and was a struggle to finish and I was glad to be done with it
Mf
This is a compendium of two novels. The first is the life of Gird. I give that 5 stars. The second is the life of Luap. I give that 3 stars.
Michael Lahr
Not as good as the Paksenarion pieces but requisite background for all forthcoming works from Elizabeth Moon on Paksworld
Andre
A good story of an heroic epoch. Having adults being credible heroes is a nice touch.
Sandra
Jul 03, 2011 Sandra added it
A nice rounding out of the universe, but the ending dragged.
Curt Connors
Interesting backstory for the Paksenarrion books, but a little slow.
Ashley
-forthcoming-
D Avila
D Avila marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Jacqueline Kirk
Jacqueline Kirk marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • Viola Doyle or An Unconventional Gift
  • The Planet Pirates Omnibus
  • Nightmares of the Queen (The Brajj, #2)
  • Five - Out of the Dark (Five #1)
  • Created (Talented Saga, #4)
  • Incubus (Daughters of Lilith, #2)
  • Hammer of Angels (Shadowstorm, #2)
  • The Very Best of Tad Williams
  • Alias Hook
  • Patriarch's Hope (Seafort Saga, #6)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles, #2)
  • Welcome Home / Go Away (Kris Longknife, #9.5)
  • Duainfey (Duainfey, #1)
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Range (I Am Just Junco, #4)
  • The Warrior's Bond (The Tales of Einarinn #4)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie...more
More about Elizabeth Moon...
The Deed of Paksenarrion (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1-3) Sheepfarmer's Daughter (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #1) Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1) The Speed of Dark Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)