Start by marking “The Aesop for Children” as Want to Read:
The Aesop for Children

The Aesop for Children

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,786 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Here for the first time in over 50 years is the full-color edition of the classic Aesop with the original illustrations by Milo Winter.The unique collection features 126 of the best-loved fables, including such favorites as "The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, " "The Ants and the Grasshopper, " "The Goose and the Golden Egg, " "The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, " and "The Ha ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Aesop for Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aesop for Children

Heather
How do I love thee, Milo Winter? Let me count the ways.

1. The illustrations are fantastic. Almost every fable has a picture be it small or large enough to fill the page.

2. Excellent retelling of the fables. Not dumbed down in any way. The language is fairly challenging, but my 5 and 6 year olds understood it without difficulty. I did edit the word "a*s" and said donkey. While I have no problem with the word used in this context it just wasn't a word I wanted them repeating over and over again. A
Erica Myles
Aesop’s tales is well known for its longevity and morality but what makes this version special is it’s formatting. Each story has a picture depicting the tale as well as the clear written out moral in italics at the end. I have read version in the past where the story uses language that I don’t recognize right away so the plot is lost on me but the accompaniment of pictures makes a world of difference.

I have always liked how many of Aesop’s lessons carry on today in sayings and quotes that not e
Marsha
Aesop’s fables were more like short epigrams, moralizations couched mainly in the form of stories featuring talking animals. These aren’t anthropomorphized creatures dressed up in clothes; these were beings acting according to the nature of beasts but whose actions reflected that of mankind. Thus, Aesop slyly criticized the people around him without endangering himself by naming names. While the bulk of his stories may have been forgotten or be unknown to the majority of modern readers, certain ...more
Jessica
I seriousy question the "interpretation" of the morals of some of the fables as presented in this book.
Chantal
Library of Congress Digital Adaptation at http://www.read.gov/aesop/index.html

Stories from The Aesop for Children is a delightful, albeit simple digital version of a physical book. Many of the detailed illustrations originally drawn by Milo Winter are made interactive in this version; frogs croak, "The Frogs and the Ox,"cats creep, "Belling the Cat,"and birds chirp, "The Fox and the Grapes." Compared with contemporary digital books, this book's interactivity seems limited.

Renée
Informs so much of modern literature. Familiarity with Aesop is essential to a good education. Fairytales are good for developing brains! An introduction to western-style morality and mindfulness without the frightening Christian mythology overlay.
Florencia
I love this short stories. I loved to watch series when I was a kid, easy to understand and the way its related with animals makes you see them in other ways when you are a little kid.
One of those book you never forget !!!
Ursula
Excellent collection.
Nichole Sedler
Dec 04, 2007 Nichole Sedler added it
Recommends it for: Read Aloud any age
Shelves: folklore

Written by Milo Winter and Aesop, illustrated by Milo Winter, published by Children's Press, 1985.

Summary: A collection of 112 classic moral stories originally written or told by Aesop.

Response: It's great to have all of these stories in one place and the illustrations are help tell the story for young readers. Some of the language may be difficult for students to understand and would require some explanation.

Possible Units: Character Education
Margaret

---
I also now have a jacket-less hardcover that is beautiful from Dalmation Press. When I search the ISBN it comes up with a Mother Goose, so that is odd. I guess they reused it? This version that I have added has a fairy, a rose and some other animals on top, but it is also illustrated by Milo Winter. I'll try to remember to take a photo to upload, as I couldn't find one online when I searched.

Newly added App from LOC with interactive features.
Jill
Dec 03, 2007 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-6
Summary: A compilation of fables of all different sorts. Includes fables such as "The Fisherman and the Little Fish" and "Jupiter and the Monkey". These fables include stories with the a moral at the end.

Reflection: This book is great for the imagination. It gets children thinking about why things happen and how we can learn from experiences.

Themes/Connections:
Fables, animals, fantasy, morals
Ruth
Aug 02, 2008 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic children's literature
I'd always wanted to own a good collection of Aesop's fables. I chose this one because of the really gorgeous artwork that accompanies each fable. The colors the artist uses are wonderful, and create a gentle, old-fashioned effect. The fables themselves are always fun to re-read, and the 'moral of the story' is as pertinent now as it ever was in Aesop's day.
Mishael
awesome book and teaches you very important lessons
Stormy
Jul 19, 2010 Stormy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to read!
Recommended to Stormy by: My mother
This is an amazing book for all ages. It has a moral to the stories and is always very exciting. When I was very little my Mom would always read this to us.
Let's just say that if I could I would rate it with 10 stars ;)
Elizabeth
This edition has wonderful illustrations!!! I remember that is the main reason why I loved it as a kid. It also contains a really complete selection of probably all the fables you will ever need!!

Recommended age: 4+
Tiwik
Versi ebooknya nggak kalah keren dengan hardcover/paperback-nya, ilustrasinya tetap berwarna. Thanks to Choosenlight Homeschooling Indonesia

Kayaknya bakalan dapat bintang banyak nih buku
Delene
Wonderful sayings to live by. Actually this is the correct Title of the book The AEsop for Children by AEsop. It was the a project done by the Gutenberg EBook foundation.
Jahlaune Hunt
A must read if you have kids in your life. Beautiful teaching tool to build moral and social values and keep iy interesting at the same time
Kathy Ferrell
This is just a beautiful book. I own it and often just flip through and look at the beautiful watercolor paintings. Lovely.
Luetta
Feb 20, 2009 Luetta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Luetta by: no one
I enjoyed this book very much. It helped me understand where many wise sayings came from that I have heard for years.
Kylee
This is a huge book with lots of great fables. It also has very good illustrations to go with the fables.
Nice book for children. Great illustrations and short stories make the tales easy to remember.
Debbie
Perfect for kids beginning narration. Isaiah loved these, and the pictures are beautiful.
Skye
Interesting to read the stories we've heard in so many forms!
J
Teaches great virtues, and fun for discussion with the kids!
Leia-Catherine
I only read some of the stories, but they were very good!!
Genoise
The illustrations are lovely. I have always enjoyed Aesop's fables.
Ariane
Great moral messages wrapped up in a neat little story.
Jack
it has most of aesop`s fables and is very good
Mellissa Joris
It is a good version, nice illustrations.
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Child's History of the World
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • The Apprentice
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • The Children's Book of Virtues
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Michelangelo
Aesop's Fables for Children: Includes a Read-and-Listen CD Arabian Nights (Illustrated Original Version) The Three Little Pigs Aesop's Fables Aesop's Fables for Children: Includes a Read-And-Listen CD

“Be sure you can better your condition before you seek to change.” 0 likes
“The Quack Toad 84 The Fox Without a Tail 85 The Mischievous Dog 86 The Rose and the Butterfly 86 The Cat and the Fox 88 The Boy and the Nettles 88 The Old Lion 89 The Fox and the Pheasants 89 Two Travelers and a Bear 90 The Porcupine and the Snakes 91 The Fox and the Monkey 91 The Mother and the Wolf 92 The Flies and the Honey 92 The Eagle and the Kite 93 The Stag, the Sheep, and the Wolf 93 The Animals and the Plague 94 The Shepherd and the Lion 95 The Dog and His Reflection 96 The Hare and the Tortoise 96 The Bees and Wasps, and the Hornet 98 The Lark and Her Young Ones 99 The Cat and the Old Rat 100 The Fox and the Crow 101 The Ass and His Shadow 102 The Miller, His Son, and the Ass 102 The” 0 likes