Start by marking “The Aesop for Children” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,224 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Here for the first time in over 50 years is the full-color edition of the classic Aesop with the original illustrations by Milo Winter.The unique collection features 126 of the best-loved fables, including such favorites as "The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse, " "The Ants and the Grasshopper, " "The Goose and the Golden Egg, " "The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing, " and "The Ha ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Aesop for Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aesop for Children

Heather
How do I love thee, Milo Winter? Let me count the ways.

1. The illustrations are fantastic. Almost every fable has a picture be it small or large enough to fill the page.

2. Excellent retelling of the fables. Not dumbed down in any way. The language is fairly challenging, but my 5 and 6 year olds understood it without difficulty. I did edit the word "a*s" and said donkey. While I have no problem with the word used in this context it just wasn't a word I wanted them repeating over and over again. A
Erica Myles
Dec 01, 2014 Erica Myles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: infm-208
Aesop’s tales is well known for its longevity and morality but what makes this version special is it’s formatting. Each story has a picture depicting the tale as well as the clear written out moral in italics at the end. I have read version in the past where the story uses language that I don’t recognize right away so the plot is lost on me but the accompaniment of pictures makes a world of difference.

I have always liked how many of Aesop’s lessons carry on today in sayings and quotes that not e
Cynthia Trueworthy
The Cock and the Fox

Moral: The trickster is easily tricked

This fable made a fool out of the trickster fox once again. The fox spots a rooster in a tree, and thinks he found an easy meal by telling it all animals have decided to be friends and forget their differences. The rooster pulls a fast one right back at the fox by yelling out, oh let us invite those dogs that are running this way! The fox is afraid of getting eaten and runs away. The trickster character always seems to assume their plan i
Woods
Apr 27, 2016 Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etec545-class-3
Milo Winter. The Aesop For Children. Checkerboard Press, Inc., 1947.
Fable - The Shepherd Boy and the Wolf
Theme: Honesty
This is from a compilation book directed toward elementary-age children, probably about 3rd grade through middle school age.
This is probably one of Aesop’s most well-known fables, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Our tale, told simply, is about a shepherd boy who thought it would be funny to run through the town crying “wolf, wolf!”, then watch and laugh at the townspeople as they drop
Jessica
Jun 03, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I seriousy question the "interpretation" of the morals of some of the fables as presented in this book.
Chantal
Library of Congress Digital Adaptation at http://www.read.gov/aesop/index.html

Stories from The Aesop for Children is a delightful, albeit simple digital version of a physical book. Many of the detailed illustrations originally drawn by Milo Winter are made interactive in this version; frogs croak, "The Frogs and the Ox,"cats creep, "Belling the Cat,"and birds chirp, "The Fox and the Grapes." Compared with contemporary digital books, this book's interactivity seems limited.

Marsha
Aesop’s fables were more like short epigrams, moralizations couched mainly in the form of stories featuring talking animals. These aren’t anthropomorphized creatures dressed up in clothes; these were beings acting according to the nature of beasts but whose actions reflected that of mankind. Thus, Aesop slyly criticized the people around him without endangering himself by naming names. While the bulk of his stories may have been forgotten or be unknown to the majority of modern readers, certain ...more
SchoolinginPajamas
None of my kids have really liked this book. I would give it three stars but that's me. They like a few stories mainly ones they may have already heard and are familiar with. I like that they are short and include a moral at the end of each one. The morals are used for copywork in our school time.
Kathy Leonard
Feb 27, 2014 Kathy Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etec545-class4
Winter, Milo. Aesop’s Fables for Children: Includes a Read-and-Listen CD (2008). In the fable, Belling the Cat, the mice have gathered to discuss a problem. They all live in fear of the cat. There was much discussion and several ideas were presented but none of them were workable. A brave young mouse offers a simple solution. The crowd was stunned. It was so simple, but brilliant. The mice were ecstatic with the prospect of having a warning system in place. Finally, an old mouse stated the obvio ...more
Renée
Feb 24, 2014 Renée rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Informs so much of modern literature. Familiarity with Aesop is essential to a good education. Fairytales are good for developing brains! An introduction to western-style morality and mindfulness without the frightening Christian mythology overlay.
Florencia
Feb 17, 2014 Florencia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this short stories. I loved to watch series when I was a kid, easy to understand and the way its related with animals makes you see them in other ways when you are a little kid.
One of those book you never forget !!!
Ursula
Aug 23, 2014 Ursula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection.
Nichole Sedler
Dec 04, 2007 Nichole Sedler added it
Recommends it for: Read Aloud any age
Shelves: folklore

Written by Milo Winter and Aesop, illustrated by Milo Winter, published by Children's Press, 1985.

Summary: A collection of 112 classic moral stories originally written or told by Aesop.

Response: It's great to have all of these stories in one place and the illustrations are help tell the story for young readers. Some of the language may be difficult for students to understand and would require some explanation.

Possible Units: Character Education
Margaret

---
I also now have a jacket-less hardcover that is beautiful from Dalmation Press. When I search the ISBN it comes up with a Mother Goose, so that is odd. I guess they reused it? This version that I have added has a fairy, a rose and some other animals on top, but it is also illustrated by Milo Winter. I'll try to remember to take a photo to upload, as I couldn't find one online when I searched.

Newly added App from LOC with interactive features.
Jill
Dec 03, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: K-6
Summary: A compilation of fables of all different sorts. Includes fables such as "The Fisherman and the Little Fish" and "Jupiter and the Monkey". These fables include stories with the a moral at the end.

Reflection: This book is great for the imagination. It gets children thinking about why things happen and how we can learn from experiences.

Themes/Connections:
Fables, animals, fantasy, morals
Ruth
Aug 02, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic children's literature
I'd always wanted to own a good collection of Aesop's fables. I chose this one because of the really gorgeous artwork that accompanies each fable. The colors the artist uses are wonderful, and create a gentle, old-fashioned effect. The fables themselves are always fun to re-read, and the 'moral of the story' is as pertinent now as it ever was in Aesop's day.
Mishael
Jun 20, 2014 Mishael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awesome book and teaches you very important lessons
Stormy
Jul 19, 2010 Stormy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to read!
Recommended to Stormy by: My mother
This is an amazing book for all ages. It has a moral to the stories and is always very exciting. When I was very little my Mom would always read this to us.
Let's just say that if I could I would rate it with 10 stars ;)
Elizabeth
Sep 11, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ages-3-5, ages-6-10
This edition has wonderful illustrations!!! I remember that is the main reason why I loved it as a kid. It also contains a really complete selection of probably all the fables you will ever need!!

Recommended age: 4+
Virginia Sanders
Nov 06, 2012 Virginia Sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-favorites
When I was a child, this book probably influenced my developing morality more than the Bible did. For some reason, I pay very close attention when animals are teaching me the difference between right and wrong.
Tiwik
Apr 26, 2009 Tiwik rated it really liked it
Versi ebooknya nggak kalah keren dengan hardcover/paperback-nya, ilustrasinya tetap berwarna. Thanks to Choosenlight Homeschooling Indonesia

Kayaknya bakalan dapat bintang banyak nih buku
TheMcafeeKids
Feb 15, 2013 TheMcafeeKids is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Lion and the Mouse - the lion was going to eat the mouse but let the mouse go. The mouse said he would help him. The lion got stuck in the net so the mouse came back and bit it to help.
Delene
Dec 27, 2009 Delene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, classic, children
Wonderful sayings to live by. Actually this is the correct Title of the book The AEsop for Children by AEsop. It was the a project done by the Gutenberg EBook foundation.
Jahlaune Hunt
Sep 08, 2013 Jahlaune Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read if you have kids in your life. Beautiful teaching tool to build moral and social values and keep iy interesting at the same time
Kathy Ferrell
Nov 06, 2012 Kathy Ferrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-these, own-it
This is just a beautiful book. I own it and often just flip through and look at the beautiful watercolor paintings. Lovely.
Theresa
Winter, Milo
a retelling of the aesop tales with simple drawings and lessons for new readers
Janna C
Feb 03, 2015 Janna C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what exactly it is about this book, but my four children could listen to these stories for hours!
Luetta
Feb 20, 2009 Luetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Luetta by: no one
I enjoyed this book very much. It helped me understand where many wise sayings came from that I have heard for years.
Kylee
Mar 25, 2009 Kylee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
This is a huge book with lots of great fables. It also has very good illustrations to go with the fables.
Feb 03, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Nice book for children. Great illustrations and short stories make the tales easy to remember.
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Our Island Story
  • A Child's History of the World
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Parables from Nature
  • Viking Tales (Yesterday's Classics)
  • Michelangelo
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • A Child's Book of Poems

“Be sure you can better your condition before you seek to change.” 1 likes
“The Quack Toad 84 The Fox Without a Tail 85 The Mischievous Dog 86 The Rose and the Butterfly 86 The Cat and the Fox 88 The Boy and the Nettles 88 The Old Lion 89 The Fox and the Pheasants 89 Two Travelers and a Bear 90 The Porcupine and the Snakes 91 The Fox and the Monkey 91 The Mother and the Wolf 92 The Flies and the Honey 92 The Eagle and the Kite 93 The Stag, the Sheep, and the Wolf 93 The Animals and the Plague 94 The Shepherd and the Lion 95 The Dog and His Reflection 96 The Hare and the Tortoise 96 The Bees and Wasps, and the Hornet 98 The Lark and Her Young Ones 99 The Cat and the Old Rat 100 The Fox and the Crow 101 The Ass and His Shadow 102 The Miller, His Son, and the Ass 102 The” 1 likes