Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)

Wizardborn (The Runelords #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  6,070 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Prince Gaborn Val Orden has lost his powers and has to rely upon a girl who is apprenticed to the earth wizard Binnesman. He must convince her to help him rid his land of reavers, but she is timid and time is running out.
Published January 1st 2007 by Orbit (first published 2001)

Angie
Aug 31, 2010 Angie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers with a strong stomach
Shelves: fantasy, lds-authors
This book was better than the 2nd one. It still bothers me that it takes so freakin' long for everything to happen in such a short amount of time. It just seems a bit unrealistic to have the entire world change in the course of a week.

However, I really enjoyed the development between Borenson and Myrrima. (And by the way, what the heck is Borenson's first name? Why does not even his wife call him by his first name?) It wasn't a cheesy love story (kind of like Gaborn's and Iome's relationship, ho...more
Garrett
I enjoyed this installment even more than the second book.

I liked the dichotomy of Raj Ahtan and his desire to help his people versus his absolute greed. I also enjoyed the little girl's lessons in being a wizard, and the twist at the end with yet another wizard.

It made me want to go out and read the next book in the series right away so I can know what happens to these characters, and how they overcome the incredible odds that Dave has set up here.
Marcelo
This book clears the bad taste the previous one, Brotherhood of the Wolf, left in my mouth. It actually manages to avoid the curse of epic almost entirely: when it seems the story will begin to drag, the narrative starts its climb towards the climax.

Another staple of this series is back: caring characters that become important to the reader so quickly that the heart aches when something bad happens to them. Not that this is a tragic story, it's very uplifting as a matter of fact, but the tragic...more
Mark
Good books find a muse and follow it. The muse may take many forms, a theme, a style, a character, or other. Whatever the form, if the book is true to its muse you can always respect the book, even if you don't necessarily like it.

Sigh.

As you've probably guessed, this third entry in the seven-part Runelord trilogy has lost its muse and wandered back into the well-worn ruts of high fantasy. The heart of the first book was moral choices about sacrificing people for power, made very concrete by the...more
Andrew O
This is the best book of the this series underrated series, at least so far. I give this book 3.5 stars and will round up to 4 stars. Too bad it's the last one my library has, so I may have to break down and get the 4th book as this one is very open ended.
Gary
Amazing. By far the best book in the series so far. Looking forward to #4. Mr. Farland is very creative. I love some of the unique qualities of the Reavers, especially their language facility. I also particularly like the way Averan is developing.

As a reader, Mr. Farland kept me in a continual state of frustration - in a good way. He skipped from character to character in their character development. He'd be going along with one character and I could hardly wait to see how they developed next. T...more
Aaron
K. Axel
This is what I wrote after first having read the book; "This book is the third in a series of five. The greatest force in this book is the fantastic descriptions of places. The Runelords are powerful lords with exceptional strength, wit and grace, and there are many strange races like the ferrin and fravth giants. These ideas and many more are what carry this book (and the series) to the end. You just can't let go, and I cant wait to read the last two books in the series. My favorite character o...more
I have much the same reaction of many others - the idea & concept of this story are great, however Farland can't seem to quite hold the stories together...

In book 1 the Reavers are so hard to kill that it takes 40 Runelords to go after 1, and 8 or so die in the process. By book 2, one commoner (and a fool at that) manages to kill 9 by himself. In this book, the author has the giants joining up with Gaborn, but he seems to forget that they are there for a while, when suddenly he remembers "oh...more
Bryce
Gaborn is diminished, and he has to learn to guide his people and fulfill his duties to the Earth without his full range of powers. Raj Ahten tries to deal with problems in his homeland. A bunch of other characters run around and do stuff.

This volume is an improvement over the second book, that is for certain. But, it definitely feels like the middle of a series--everything is setting up for something else down the line. That made it a little hard to get into the flow of the story. Also, the num...more
Kenneth Hayes Geary
This book was alright but it was really just more of the same of the last two books. Some interesting things happen but those things could have just been spilt into the end of Brotherhood of the Wolfand the beginning of The Lair of Bones. The rest of the story was like blah blah blah reavers kill, we kill reavers, chase them down, oh i'm a wizard (yeah we know it wasn't a surprise).

On a side note this series really picks up after this book, so don't give up on it.
Charlie N Holmberg
Kenny Cross
The Runelords series is a jaw dropping, fist pumping in the air, jump up and down on my bed, kick-ass fantasy series. THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF is the best book I've read in the last 5 years, hands down. WIZARDBORN seemed like the bridge between one ass kicking session and the next. I enjoyed it immensely but it seemed like the 'take a deep breath before the shit really hits the fan' book - and THE LAIR OF BONES will be where the shit really hits the fan.

READ the RUNELORDS series if you like h...more
Chris
Wizardborn is a great story that is much more fluid and entertaining than it's previous novels. However, it is the third book in the series and is not at all a stand alone novel. Without reading the two before this, you will not understand what is happening. I found myself reading chapters about side characters who aren't seen again for the entire second half of the book, only to be brought up again is a quick one-paged explanation of their whereabouts. It seems that Farland finished quickly and...more
Kymberly
I find myself wanting to reread this book to remember certain plot twists. his books are long but worth it. But to go back and be reminded might be a good idea.
Marklandman
Once again David Farland has written an awesome book. I flew through it just like the last one. He has a perfect mix of slower character building moments and action scenes.
Eric
I think I read this third book in the series out of sequence but it was the only book in the series I took with me on vacation so I had no choice. Although reasonably enjoyable, I can see this series heading in the same direction as 'wheel of time', where either nothing much happens for books on end, or it takes two or three books to describe things that happen at the same time. I sort of bought several books in the series quite a while ago so I will eventually read them all regardless. Unless I...more
Andrew O
This is the best book of the this series underrated series, at least so far. Too bad it's the last one my library has, so I may have to break down and get the 4th book as this one is very open ended.
Stanford
The series continues. I think the last two books are even better than the first two. The story becomes more global involving other countries and intrigue. The prince as the earth wizzard has the duty to both proetct his country and to do what is best for man, and to protect the earth and all life in it. The characters become even better. The conflict between the triangle of The Earth Prince, Rah Ahten, and the reavers becomes more invloved, intense and interesting. Great read
Juliet
I didn't like this as much as the first two books. I felt that the story could be actually cut in half and the first part to be connected to the second book and the second half to be part of the fourth and the last book of the series. It did answer a few questions (like Averan) and it's still a great opening for the last book when Gaborn is finally going to tackle the treacherous road to find the master of the reavers.
Ronando
May 09, 2008 Ronando rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers who don't know what else to read
Recommended to Ronando by: Josh
Shelves: fantasy_scifi
I just started the book. So call me a crack whore. Yeah, I bitched and moaned about the other two... maybe I actually like the series... but don't tell anyone.

ok, I finished the damn book and finished the 4th book too. Overall I give the series a three out of 5. There was just enough interesting items that kept me reading but it just lacked. I'll go into detail in my review of book 4.

Lionel
Une bonne surprise, qui part d'un concept très "vidéogame" pour façonner tout un univers cohérent autour. Quelques longueur en avançant dans les tomes, mais j'aime le côté sans retenue de Farland (Là-dessus il me fait penser à Goodkind), les héros sont très très forts, mais les méchants encore plus et le monde court à sa perte. Pas le livre de l'année, mais ça passe très bien le temps.
Charles Warren
The first 2 books grabbed my attention and were quick reads. Wizardborn did not completely grab me. There are plenty of good bits within but it lacks something the other novels had; the action of the first and the plot/character development of the second. Don't get me wrong, there is action and plot/character development but it is just not as well done as the previous novels.
Scott Cook
Farland has not dissapointed in the first three books. I like how he takes a situation and I know what the outcome will be but then it takes a very realistic twist that I wouldn't have expected from high fantasy. Great writing and plenty of fun action and surprises with great attention for detail that makes the "Runelord world" come alive.
Meo
Sep 11, 2012 Meo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
The writing is as workmanlike as ever but some of the spark seems to have gone. Confrontations between the Reavers and the Human Armies take centre stage, and the personal battles of two very different individuals (one of them apprentice Earth Warden) are subsumed. There are one or two surprises on the way, but few and far between.
Phil
This series is just getting better. Characters are changing and maturing. The story is getting deeper and more complex. I even think the writing is improving a little. Great series. I can't decide if I want to read it fast to get more and more of the books read quickly or slow down, so I can really savor each book.
Jared
I may bail on this series after this one. It moves at a glacial pace, nothing much happens and a lot of the main characters are jettisoned for uninteresting side stories. People die and immediately come back to life or lose limbs (cough cough) that are easily regrown, which makes little to no sense.
AmblingBooks
"Farland once again proves himself a wizard at storytelling�.This latest is certain to summon past readers of the series back to bookstores."�Publishers Weekly

Listen to Wizardborn on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Michael
I gave this book 4 stars based on a few of the characters as opposed to the book as a whole. Farland still has the tendency to forget things, or to just leave subplots to die silent deaths. I like the fact the characters aren't just cut and paste templates of fantasy genre characters (most of them).
Jerry Hart
Almost as good as the first two, though I got tired of the constant fighting with the reavers. I was reminded of "A Memory of Light," which almost entirely consisted of the characters fighting the shadowspawn. It just gets tiring and dull after a while.
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Servant of the Dragon (Lord of the Isles, #3)
  • Rules of Ascension (Winds of the Forelands, #1)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa...more
More about David Farland...
The Sum of All Men (Runelords #1) Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2) The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4) Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5) Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)

“Хиляда удара,нанесени в битка,носят на човек по-малко чест от един-единствен акт на състрадание” 4 likes
“Un époux, c'est quelqu'un qui travaille au jardin avec toi et qui te réchauffe la nuit dans le lit conjugal. Un homme qui s'inquiète pour toi quand personne d'autre n'a remarqué que tu n'allais pas bien. Quelqu'un qui te tient la main quand tu es malade ou aux portes de la mort.” 2 likes