Start by marking “A Life, Forward: A Rowan Slone Novel” as Want to Read:
A Life, Forward: A Rowan Slone Novel

A Life, Forward: A Rowan Slone Novel (Rowan Sloane #2)

Her father is gone. Her mother is in jail. And Rowan Slone has left her dysfunctional, violent past behind. With college looming on the horizon, she has a new job that she loves, and a safe place to call home. She is close to achieving everything she ever wanted-a sense of family, a sense of purpose, and a sense of self. But there are cracks in Rowan's life that threaten ...more
Published April 4th 2014 by Cerulean Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Life, Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life, Forward

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
"My outside is smooth,
With only a glimpse of pain.
But underneath, I am raw..
Terrified, Streaming crimson tears.
Where will I go from here?
With all my fears..
Fears..Fears"

Rowan's story continues. This one's bittersweet for me. Just when I thought that Rowan's life would be okay now.

Rowan fought a different war in A Life, Forward… A war within herself. I saw a character development with Rowan here. It just shows how those things that happened to Rowan has a side effect on her way of thinking.
Abbie
Mar 10, 2015 Abbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 3.5

I thought Rowan might have been able to move on with her life after the ending of book one, but she had even more problems in this one!
I felt really sorry for her best friend Jess too. The way she was treated when she was dealing with a hard situation was awful.

This was another decent read, and I'm looking forward to see how things will turn out for Rowan and Jess in book three.
Rachel Marie {The NerdHerd Reads}
This review first appears on

I enjoyed this book. I liked Rowan in the previous book because of what a strong complex character she was, however, I did not see that as much in this one. Rowan has been through some horrible things, but she is trying to move on and get through them. Which is a long process. But Rowan makes it through and by the end, I was happy.

My biggest issue, I think, how Rowan was so obsessed with Mike. Like, she always needed him. And I get it, the long distance is hard and sh
(Read using Kindle Unlimited)

This was a good second book in the series, and it was good to find out what happened to Rowan after the events of book 1.

I once again felt sorry for Rowan in this story, she had even more problems to deal with, and even more grief to bear. As if she didn’t have enough to deal with.
I also felt really sorry for Rowan’s friend Jess and the way Paul treated her.

The storyline in this once again dealt with grief, unwanted pregnancy, self-harm, and romantic problems too. (v
Alexandra
Nov 27, 2014 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5

For this full review--as a part of the A Life, Freed blog tour--as well as other reviews and features go to SleepsOnTables.

In A Life, Forward we pick up where we left off which was with Rowan’s life practically going to hell in a hand basket. Rowan is trying to move past everything that happened to her in book 1, she’s focusing on school, she works a job that she loves, and she’s distancing herself from those in her family that hurt her by living with the Andersons. You really
Jennifer R  Ricketts
I received a copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

Rowan is on her way to achieving her goals in A Life, Forward, but she begins to fall into her old ways of unhealthy coping. The relationship that she has with Mike is crumbling before her eyes, and with him away at college, it's awkward at times living with his parents. She doesn't feel like she fits into their life and doesn't want to be known as that girl with all the problems.

Knowing her history, Mike was a lot
zapkode.marie
{My Thoughts} – Rowan, such a sweet yet incredibly troubled girl. I understand how she feels, I get what she has had to deal with and is forced to deal with. She has one bang up family that is for certain. My heart breaks just reading about all the pain she has had to endure over the years. Things don’t seem to get much easier for her in this book. She still is forced to deal with so much pain, but she has found better ways in which she manages to cope with that pain. Poetry is a good coping ...more
Kathy
Nov 04, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowan is slowly getting her life back together. Her boyfriend Mike has gone away to university and she rarely sees him anymore leaving her to cope with the mess that is her family life. In order to keep from falling back into old patterns she has distanced herself from her remaining family members as much as she can,not yet ready to forgive and forget the lies that were told and the blame/shame that was mercilessly thrown on top of a young girls shoulders.
Once again I think the author did a grea
Paula  Phillips
Nov 04, 2014 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowan's life is starting to look up with her mother in jail and her father elsewhere and she is happy living with her new family - the Andersons. Life should be great and heading forward for Rowan. However, things aren't all peachy keen as secrets from her past threaten to re-surface and if they do , will she lose everything she has tried so hard to work for ? What will happen when they start bubbling to the surface ? Can Rowan cope with all the stress or will her bad habits of cutting and ...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I received this book from YA Reads as part of the blog tour in return for a fair and honest review.

The second in the series sees Mike off at university and Rowan trying to finish her last year of school. She is still living with the Andersons and is trying to ignore her family as best she can. She is doing a pretty good job of it too until she hears her father is back in town and then it all goes belly up. Trina reappears and makes herself a nuisance as usual, and as usual, it appears that only
Leah
Feb 29, 2016 Leah rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
I will start this off with this book made me cry, big, fat, ugly tears. SO if you are in the mood for a cheery book then maybe this isn't the ideal choice. Overall the book is hopeful, but it has its moments.

This is the second book in the Rowan Slone series, I didn't actually read them in order, but I stopped about 1/4 way in and read the first. It might not have been required but it definitely helped to read them in order as a lot of stuff goes down in the first that really explains where you
WTF Are You Reading?
Resuming Rowan's story immediately after the heart-stopping conclusion of A Life, Redefined.
A Life, Forward, finds Rowan alone and in flux.
Having chosen to leave the horrors and betrayals of her family behind.
She runs to the safety and stability of the one place that she has ever felt safe.
The home of her boyfriend, Mike.
But with Mike away at college and a seeming greater distance growing in
their relationship by the day.
Rowan realizes that everything that she ever wanted is on the cusp of becomi
Lisa Shambrook
Nov 23, 2015 Lisa Shambrook rated it really liked it
What I love about Hewitt Meyer’s writing is her raw honesty.

This is the second book in the Rowan Slone series and Rowan is struggling with the consequences of the cards her life has dealt. Rowan has to decide whether she can forgive her family, and there's nothing twee about her feelings and reactions. Hewitt Meyer keeps it real and shows the pain and conflict in Rowans life with great writing and compassion.

In real life resolution comes slowly and sometimes not at all, and you'll feel for Row
Joood Hooligan
Jan 01, 2015 Joood Hooligan rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

It's been about 100 books since I listened to the first book on Audible, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to pick it up easily. I usually don't like waiting so long between books in a series because I forget too much.

That was definitely not the case here. It was easy to get back into the story and I felt like I had just finished book one, it was all so fresh in my mind. I was quite impressed with how well the author transitioned bet
Kaitlin Michelle
Kimberly Butler
Sep 05, 2015 Kimberly Butler rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful!! I love books with a happy ending!! I also love how Rowan faced the obstacles in her life head on and is such a positive role model to young people who might read this book!! It's not just full of problems she has, but also positive ways she works thru them!! I highly recommend this book to young people needing realistic, positive influences.
InD'tale Magazine
“A Life, Forward” is a gritty YA read.

Read full review in the 2014 August issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Lexee Toste
Lexee Toste rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Sierra Leighann Johnson
Sierra Leighann Johnson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
fee
fee rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Nachiketa
Nachiketa rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Angela Hankinson
Angela Hankinson rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
SREEKUMAR K M
SREEKUMAR K M rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Vivek
Vivek rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Read my review in the August release of InD'Tale's magazine. http://indtale.com/
Elizabeth Salyer
Elizabeth Salyer rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Athena Odell
Athena Odell rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Kirsten Martin
Kirsten Martin rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Joni
Joni rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2015
I write YA fiction. When I need variety, I write paranormal and contemporary adult romance. Reading is not an obsession, it's a need - like air, food, love.

My newest release, The Reformation of Marli Meade, will be available 12/1/16.

The Rowan Slone series is now available on amazon, beginning with award-winning novel, A Life, Redefined, followed by A Life, Forward, and A Life, Freed.

The world can
More about Tracy Hewitt Meyer...

Rowan Sloane (3 books)