Start by marking “Things My Mother Told Me (Essential Poets Series 95) (Essential Poets Series 95)” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  9 Ratings  ·  1 Review
Maria Mazziotti Gillan's Things My Mother Told Me is luminous, feisty, heart breaking, and fiercely honest, often all in the space of a single poem. Her voice has the vigor and industrial-strength grit of Grace Paley's, and there is genuine wisdom here, an intelligence born of direct experience. These poems are a breath of fresh air in contrast to the fetid self obsession ...more
Published October 4th 1999 by Guernica Editions Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about Things My Mother Told Me (Essential Poets Series 95)

Annie Rachele
Nov 02, 2014 Annie Rachele rated it it was amazing
I open any page, I read, and want to cry. From a mother's stiff housedress to her hands working a dough, from insights into the "snaps and hooks" of bras, to laundry in the sun..
these poems hold worlds.

I am forever grateful for these poems.
Jane Alberdeston
Jane Alberdeston rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Rita Ciresi
Rita Ciresi rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Nicholas DiGiovanni
Nicholas DiGiovanni rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Joanne Sharp
Joanne Sharp rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Elizabeth Murray
Elizabeth Murray rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2010
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Bob Cox
Bob Cox rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Steven
Steven added it
Mar 05, 2008
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Breena
Breena added it
Feb 28, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Laura Mckeon
Laura Mckeon marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2016
Maria Mazziotti Gillan is a recipient of the 2011 Barnes & Noble Writers for Writers Award from Poets & Writers, and the 2008 American Book Award for her book, All That Lies Between Us (Guernica Editions). Her latest book is What We Pass On: Collected Poems 1980-2009 (Guernica Editions, 2010).

She is the Founder and Executive Director of the Poetry Center at Passaic County Community College
More about Maria Mazziotti Gillan...