Start by marking “The Orthodox Study Bible” as Want to Read:
The Orthodox Study Bible

The Orthodox Study Bible

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  900 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The FIRST EVER Orthodox Study Bible presents the Bible of the early church and the church of the early Bible.

Orthodox Christianity is the face of ancient Christianity to the modern world and embraces the second largest body of Christians in the world. In this first-of-its-kind study Bible, the Bible is presented with commentary from the ancient Christian perspective that s
Published February 26th 2008 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Orthodox Study Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orthodox Study Bible

The Orthodox Church by Kallistos WareThe Orthodox Way by Kallistos WareOn the Incarnation by Athanasius of AlexandriaThe Mountain of Silence by Kyriacos C. MarkidesThe Orthodox Study Bible by Peter E. Gillquist
Best Eastern Orthodox Books
5th out of 130 books — 49 voters
The Orthodox Way by Kallistos WareEveryday Saints and Other Stories by Tikhon ShevkunovOur Thoughts Determine Our Lives by Thaddeus of VitovnicaThe Orthodox Church by Kallistos WareFather Arseny, 1893-1973 by Vera Bouteneff
Eastern Orthodoxy
8th out of 60 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard
How can one review a Bible? For me it was a way of getting some insight into the way the Eastern Orthodox Church handles exegesis and theology. And for the most part, the experience was positive.

There were some things I didn't like about it. For instance, the fact that it used the New King James Version for the New Testament, rather than a more accurate translation.

Some of the notes overstated the obvious. Others demonstrated an unfortunate but understandable mistrust of the theology of other b
Gregory Soderberg
In the past few years, I've been trying to read through a different translation of the Bible each year. The Orthodox Study Bible is interesting in that it includes the Apocrypha (some neat stuff in there!), and the OT translation is taken from the Septuagint (Greek translation of the Hebrew OT). The NT is, rather disappointingly, the NKJV. I found myself scratching my head a few times, wondering at NKJV's translation of the Greek.

The study notes were full of interesting insights from the church
Fr. Ted
Dec 19, 2014 Fr. Ted rated it it was ok
The NKJV is not my favorite English translation of the New Testament. I understand that the main reason the OSB uses it is because Nelson, the publisher, owns that translation, and so its affiliation with Orthodoxy is somewhat accidental. It is an interesting first attempt to put together an Orthodox study bible. But my dislike of it is that it gives the impression there is exactly one possible meaning of the text, whereas the reality is the Fathers used any one text for a variety of purposes, a ...more
Brent Barnard
Sep 13, 2012 Brent Barnard rated it really liked it
First let me say that I'm writing this review to encourage Protestants to read the (deuterocanonical) books of the Bible which are typically only found in Catholic or Orthodox Bibles. I review the books for my reactions to them, which is irreverent in a sense, but I do hope my recommendations have a cumulative effect of drawing people to these wonderful narratives.

The Orthodox Study Bible is great because it has a vibrant translation of the full Orthodox canon including books that Protestants do
Stuart
Sep 10, 2012 Stuart rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this Bible, which deeply saddens me. I really wanted to like this Bible. But like others I have spoken to, they too are a bit disappointed with this Bible. The Orthodox Study Bible started out as the New Testament and Psalms, and with massive funding they started a project to publish the Old Testament with the New Testament. So it is nice to have the full Bible in one volume, especially when so many people publish just the New Testament for the price of a full Bible.

H
Nathan Duffy
Oct 10, 2012 Nathan Duffy rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Love the christological and trinitarian footnotes applied throughout the Old Testament. Beautiful iconography. The lectionary and Morning/Evening prayers are also nice if you need them (it's more convenient for me to use this Orthodox calendar app I have for those).
Dan
The OT is not very faithful to the Septuagint (LXX) as advertised, and the NKJV text in the NT is still very Protestant in places where alternate translations would be more appropriate (and historically faithful) for Orthodoxy. It doesn't stick to the conventional verse numbering scheme used by most bibles, so references are off in places. Finally, the commentary is often very shallow where more depth would be appropriate. It's better than nothing for Orthodox Christians, but I hope something be ...more
Karl El-Koura
Nov 21, 2014 Karl El-Koura rated it it was amazing
My favourite edition of the Bible. The insights, usually in the form of select commentary from the Early Church Fathers, are worth the price of admission alone. It's like a guided tour through the Holy Scriptures by some of Orthodoxy's greatest theologians.
John
Quite a bit better than the original edition, and made more valuable by the new Septuagint translation.
Larry
Jan 30, 2009 Larry rated it it was amazing
it's God's word with notes and art by some of the earliest known church fathers and mothers
Michael
Apr 15, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
LOVE.
Thank You, LORD G-D..
Kimberly Aikens
Feb 14, 2010 Kimberly Aikens rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: purchased for self
Used daily
grey1066
First, my disappointments: The New Testament is just the NKJV and I'm still unsure how widely used this version actually is in the Orthodox Church (i.e. I don't think it is much). The Old Testament, while being one of the few translations of the LXX available in English, also used the OT from the NRSV extensively in preparation and thus inherited many of the linguistic deficiencies of that translation.

However, the good bits: The commentary and footnotes are, in themselves, worth the price of th
John
Dec 25, 2015 John rated it liked it
My review of 3 stars is not on account of the theology of the Orthodox Churches, but this study Bible is simply not as comprehensive of those produced by other traditions. I believe that the Lutheran study bible incorporate more of the early Church Fathers. Some of the articles are informative. I believe those who within the Orthodox tradition would be better served to get the Ancient Christian Commentary series for serious Bible study. Having said that, this is a good first attempt.
Brad Belschner
Oct 03, 2015 Brad Belschner rated it did not like it
Shelves: misc-theology
This was disappointing. I read Genesis through Leviticus, comparing it to the Greek LXX and slowly realized that this is not truly a translation of the LXX. Whenever I encountered a textual variant between the LXX and the MT, half the time it followed the LXX and half the time the MT. For the life of me I cannot figure out the pattern or principles guiding this picking-and-choosing! I purchased this book primarily because I wanted an English version of the LXX, and this failed to meet my require ...more
Jon Cooper
Aug 08, 2014 Jon Cooper rated it really liked it
A relatively good study Bible - beautifully littered (?) with icons. It's more of a devotional Bible than a study Bible, but it's still excellently executed. Well worth the price, which actually isn't all that much for what you get. It's very conservative, and, of course, utterly Orthodox, but super accessible. Enjoyed it.
Thomas GOSSE
Feb 18, 2016 Thomas GOSSE rated it it was ok
Shelves: orthodoxy
The Old Testament is based on the New King James Version edited to make it conform with the Septuagint. The New Testament is the NKJV. The notes are so-so. They are written to explain Orthodoxy to American Protestants. I would like to see a version without the notes. The Psalms should be divided into Kathisma for daily prayer.
Andrew
Feb 07, 2013 Andrew rated it it was ok
I read the NT, Genesis and the Psalms, and skimmed through the rest of the OT. The New Testament is the New King James version. OT translation is an english translation of the Greek Septuagint, which is very similar to the New King James and therefore retains much archaic language which does not flow, and I had to use a commentary to make sense of some of the passages in the minor prophets and the Deuterocanonical (apocryphal) books with I was not familiar with. The notes are a mixed bag. Some a ...more
Dave
Highly Recommended

The commentary and articles in the Orthodox Study Bible are essential for the Orthodox Christian (or one that is exploring) to fully grasp and understand the meaning and purpose of the text.
Dave
Jul 16, 2014 Dave rated it liked it
I have come to prefer the Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB New Testament) to the OSB.
NormaCenva
Mar 06, 2013 NormaCenva rated it it was amazing
the best Bible out there - as simple as that, if there would been a six stars option I would've used it to rate the OSB. Just love all the conditional notes, included iconografy is outstanding, and added prayers are very helpful. Your best companion for a fruitful, spiritually loaded and knowledgeable walk through life as a practising Orthodox Christian.

P.S. gave my copy away to an Orthodox Christian family who couldn't afford to buy it, so will need to buy another one soon.
Emmanuel
Oct 22, 2014 Emmanuel rated it it was amazing
I am always currently reading The Good Book.
Nicholas
Jan 01, 2012 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Orthodox Study Bible resides as an indispensable resources in my library. A readable English translation of the Septuagint along with the New Testament NKJV form the perfect Eastern Christian Bible. I must warn any who do choose the OSB that the Academy did include a few snide remarks about the Western Church in the preface. Other than a few comments, this Bible gives excellent commentary which relates directly to the Church Fathers.
Nancy
Jul 11, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-reading
Includes new translation of the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Alexandrian synagogues' Old Testament that was a huge "best seller" during the time of Christ. Contains passages quoted in the New Testament that vary from the "official" Masoretic(Iraqi) Old Testament used by the King James translators.
I read "The Wisdom of Solomon" for the first time and was bowled over at its relevance to today.
Septuagint
Sabrina
Oct 01, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to find this Bible as I am a recent convert to the Eastern Orthodox faith. It's nice to have a FULL Bible no additions, no subtractions. The iconography in the book is very beautiful and the study footnotes and pages are written in layman's terms and easy to comprehend without compromising theological truths. I recommend this to anyone who is seeking to understand Scripture from an Orthodox Christian perspective.
Thea
Aug 05, 2015 Thea rated it really liked it
I really love this Bible but sadly it has some problems. There are a fair few errors, some books are actually missing chapters so when I try to look something up, it's just not there. I know there was some controversy about different versions of the Old Testament used as well. The footnotes are very illuminating though and I do recommend it. I hope they do another addition that fixes some of the errors in this one.
G Walker
a regular companion... but with some qualifications... I am not a huge fan of the binding quality or some of the translation work, esp in the non-canonical works, and the notes are week to say the least, but overall, having all the books (in the intended order of the church) is quite nice and that value should not be under estimated... but in the end, I do find that I use a normal bible more often than not.
Ephraim Lawson Bowick
Jan 15, 2013 Ephraim Lawson Bowick rated it really liked it
I love this Bible. Though it says Orthodox, this is for all Christians. It contains the Septuagint as the Old Testament, cited from the Apostles and Christ Himself. My only critiques however consist of cosmetic flaws... The paper is waaaaay to thin and the bonded leather just isn't cutting it. Would recommend the cloth-bound edition.

Forgive me a wretch,

Lawson
Mark Cappetta
Mar 05, 2015 Mark Cappetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Theology students; Scripture scholars, etc.
Recommended to Mark by: No one
I use this Sacred Scripture for reflection and study along with other versions. This Bible suits my requirements perfectly as an augmentation for my needs. Anyone who chooses this Scripture will not be disappointed, but encouraged and nurtured in their Faith.
Carol
Mar 09, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
I'm using this version to complete my one year challenge of reading the bible all the way through...reading both new testament and old testament readings consecutively. The commentary is so helpful in understanding and gaining more insight while reading.
  • The Orthodox Way
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text
  • Wounded by Love
  • Beginning to Pray
  • Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:  The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church
  • The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios
  • Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy

“For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.” 3 likes
“You, our God, are kind, true, patient, And govern all things in mercy. 2 For even if we sin, we belong to You and know Your might; But we will not sin, Because we know that we are counted as belonging to You. 3 For to know You is complete righteousness, And to know Your might is the root of immortality.†” 1 likes