Start by marking “Superhero: The Secret Origin of a Genre” as Want to Read:
Superhero: The Secret Origin of a Genre

Superhero: The Secret Origin of a Genre

An exhaustive and entertaining study of the superhero genre, Superhero: the Secret Origin of a Genre traces the roots of the superhero in mythology, science fiction, and the pulps, and follows the superhero's development to its current renaissance in film, literature, and graphic novels.
Published July 25th 2006 by Monkeybrain

To ask other readers questions about Superhero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superhero

Matt
Apr 26, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
I admire a lot of the spadework Coogan has done here, and I am more or less convinced by the tropes he outlines as being the foundation of what we recognize as the superhero-- I think he's right that these are the elements that make the superhero recognizable.

I think, though, that the way he chooses to talk about superhero comics is rarely all that interesting. It seems like once the superhero has been recognized as being there, the comic by default becomes a superhero comic, which I think does
Remy
Aug 17, 2007 Remy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the devil
Shelves: comics
Okay. I admit it. I didn't even get 100 pages into it. I almost stopped once when the book cited Wikipedia, but no, I endured. The straw that broke the camel's back came in the form of its discussion of Fat Bastard from Austin Powers in the context of supervillians. I rarely feel offended by people muchless prose. This book offended me.
John Carter McKnight
Coogan is very specific about what he sets out to do in this book adapted from his dissertation: describe the origin and evolution of the superhero as a storytelling genre. As to origins, he does a very good job, tracing the superhero's origins in scientific romances and pulp fiction. I found his theorizing weak and his take on the genre's evolution sadly lacking.

Coogan presents a theory of genre evolution drawn from Thomas Schatz's _Hollywood Genres_. I would have liked to have seen a wider su
Diz
Sep 26, 2015 Diz rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This goes in depth into the history behind the comics, but rather than talking about the formation of the publishers of the first comics and the artists who worked for them, this goes into the literary predecessors of the superhero genre, so you'll read a lot about pulp fiction and mystery men. In fact, it covers superheroes a lot less than I was expecting. If you're interested in the literary pre-history of comics, this is interesting, but if you wanted to read more about superheroes themselves ...more
David
Jan 27, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
i like this book because growing up i loved watching superheros on t.v. and I was i excited to read this book about heros. While i was reading this book I learn so much from it. like what type of superheros there were and how diffrent they are. The only thing i didnt like about this book is the supervillians because they always seem to ruin everything. But this book is really interesting all in all beacuse I feel as if I'm learning so much about heros on a higher level of dicovery And that reall ...more
Forrest
Jun 04, 2012 Forrest rated it it was amazing
For those of you interested in comics, particularly of the long underwear and cape variety, this book is a superb source for understanding the conventions, tropes, and general history of the genre.
Apr 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it
The book suffers a bit from repetition, especially on the history of the genre--the same refutations of other contenders for the title of "first superhero" appear at least twice. However, the definitions and descriptions of the genre were nicely done, and I found the discussions about the possible future of the genre to be intriguing.
bluetyson
Superhero: The Secret Origin of a Genre by Peter Coogan (2006)
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Commander Xell
Commander Xell marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Daemon
Daemon marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Mike Hibbert
Mike Hibbert marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Nezka
Nezka rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
N. T.
N. T. rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Shaunterria
Shaunterria marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Inez
Inez marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Adrianas Veidas
Adrianas Veidas rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Becca
Becca added it
Feb 20, 2016
Rebecca Lavelle
Rebecca Lavelle marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Majo Olivera
Majo Olivera marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Edward McWhirter
Edward McWhirter marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Marie Viala
Marie Viala marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015