The New Hugo Winners, Vol. 2 1986-1988

The New Hugo Winners, Vol. 2 1986-1988 (The Hugo Winners)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An engrossing collection of short stories, novellas, and novelettes that have been recipients of the Hugo Award between 1986-1988.

Contents

• Greg Bear. Tangents. 1986
An old mathematician and a young boy contact the fourth dimension, with music.
• Roger Zelazny. Permafrost. 1986
• Roger Zelazny. 24 Views of Mount Fuji, by Hokusai. 1985
• Harlan Ellison. Paladin of the Lost...more
Published December 1st 1991 by baen (first published October 1990)

Iain
The notion of getting Isaac Asimov to introduce these collections must have seemed like a no-brainer: extra kudos and sales! But I'm sure Baen didn't predict an introduction like the one they got here, which is (whatever else it is) pretty entertaining. In summary, Asimov pretty much says 'I haven't read any SF for twenty years. Apparently this modern stuff is very literary and all, but personally I just like the kind of thing we used to write back in the day. Anyway, here are some stories that...more
Tom Gau
great collection of sci-fi short stories.

Harlan Ellison's Paladin of the Lost Hour is a classic. One of Ellison's best stories.

Robert Silverberg's Gilgamesh in the Outback is wonderful. His writing flows off the page. A real pleasure to read.

My favorite short was Why I Left The All-Night Hamburger Place. Great story about interdimensional travelers. Like a great Twilight Zone episode.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I stumbled across a copy of this in the free books bin. I was hoping it was Volume 3, though, so I tossed it back. This one has a rather odd introduction: it's basically Isaac Asimov saying the SF stories that readers vote for are too highbrow/literary/vulgar for him, so ... he really has nothing to say, so go read the stories.
Steve Carroll
slightly less impressive crop than the last volume. this covers all the hugo winning short fiction from '86,'87, and '88. The standouts for me were definitely Ellison's "Paladin of the lost hour", and "Tangents" by Greg Bear.
Mike Tager
So good. If you like sci-fi, this is a must read. Amazing short stories and novellas from a bunch of great authors (Silverberg, Ellison, leGuin, Card before he became crazy). Every one is worth reading!
Jesse
Good book. It's a great way to pass a few days reading. Just skip the first story in the book (or, you know, have more patience than I did with it). Good stuff.
Bruno Silva
Muito bom com histórias interessantes de autores que ainda não tinha lido como Roger Zelazny, Orson Scott-Card e outros. Vale muito a pena ler
Ken
Kevin Gallan
Jun 27, 2011 Kevin Gallan marked it as to-read
7/305
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Frank Reed
Frank Reed marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Britty Kitty
Britty Kitty marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Jlb
Jlb marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Madalina
Madalina marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)