Start by marking “A Hint of Rapture” as Want to Read:
A Hint of Rapture

A Hint of Rapture (Dangerous Masquerade Collection #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  40 reviews
When Maddie Fraser's father was killed fighting for Bonnie Prince Charles, the spirited Scottish lass swore to avenge his death. Hooded and disguised, she led a series of daring raids against the forces of the Crown--vowing to love no man until the English invaders were driven from her native soil.

Hot-blooded Captain Garrett Marshall was entrusted with the capture of the...more
Mass Market Paperback, 392 pages
Published July 1st 1990 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about A Hint of Rapture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hint of Rapture

Lucille
Why is it that the freebies I've read so far are all so very disappointing? Is it because they had so much potential but still fail which makes them much more disappointing? I feel like the potential awesomeness is wasted.

A Hint of Rapture was another disappointing freebie on iTunes. (I have a weakness for free stuff!) It had potential, and would have been a great historical romance if not for the annoying characters and the absurd plot.

Madeleine Fraser is one of the most annoying female heroi...more
Nickie Kuhn
Maddie Fraser, stubborn, willful and defiant is running her family's estate after her father's tragic death at Culloden when she is forced to house the very lobsterbacks that she hates for her father's death. The captain of these hated redcoats is one Garrett Marshall. The ensuing tale of their romance is exciting and suspenseful. I truly enjoyed the story.

The issue I take with this book is that it would seem that the editor gave up after the third page. I read the Kindle edition and the volume...more
Among The Muses
Donna
I enjoyed reading this historical romance.

After her fathers death Maddie Fraiser had to figure out how to keep her clan from starving over the winter. Disguised she raids from the forces of the Crown in revenge of her fathers death.
Captain Garrett Marshall has been sent to Scotland to stop the raids and bring "Black Jack" back to hang. He and his soldiers are to take over and command from the house that belonged to Maddie's father and now her.
At first sight the captain is taken with Maddie and...more
Klgrissom
5 stars....BUT.....I do wish it didn't have as many love scenes. The story was awesome, and I didn't realize that there were pretty erotic scenes in it. Although it is easy to skip over, you can see them coming from a mile away. I couldn't read the story fast enough.

I guess the cover should have clued me in, but I bought it on my kindle, and didn't really even look at the cover, I just looked at the book description. It was a great story though! and deserves the 5 stars.
Monika
I'm I'm not sure were to rate this book, it's better than "it was ok" but its not quite were I can say i liked it. The kindle edition was free so that helped. It was a sweet story but I found my self skimming some of the pages, it had quite a few places I thought were really slow. Historical romances is a genre that I do read,(not as much now as I use to), but this one just wasn't as good as other out there. I'm giving this book 2.5 stars.
Misfit
2/3/12, free on kindle today.
Lauren
This is an okay read. It wasn't the greatest but it also wasn't the absolute worse. I think I distinctly remember reading this book a really long time ago and I liked it. But since then, I've read other books that had better flow and the characters were more realistic.
Lola4
I found this to be a better than average historical romance. There was a lot less of that stupid-stuff-that-makes-no-sense-except-to-drag-out-the-book that usually has me gritting my teeth when I read this genre. You had the usual push/pull going on between protagonists who shouldn't love each other but do, but there was good reason for it, so neither character appeared to be either stupid or bipolar, and the plot was well-developed, relatively free of potholes, and seemed to flow naturally. The...more
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
In the aftermath of the battle of Culloden the Scottish highlands are populated with English redcoats who seek to destroy the very fabric of Highland life. When Madeleine Fraser's father is killed at Culloden,she swears to take vengeance, and raids English supplies in order to feed her villagers. When her family home is taken over by a group of English redcoats Madeleine must seek to hide her identity from the handsome English Captain, Garrett Marshall, but she is unprepared for the effect this...more
Heather Wiese
Basically pretty Scottish lass fighting against the evil English redcoats to save her village from their pillaging, raping and burning by dressing up as a man ("Black Jack") and stealing their supplies to feed her people.

Enter in English redcoat with a soul who has been tasked in bringing Black Jack to justice while taking over the house that pretty Scottish lass lives in. Awkward.

Attraction blooms, fought against on both sides, until pretty Scottish lass is captured and sentenced to death and t...more
Vivian Archer
3.5
Nicely written Scottish romance that focuses on the harsh reality of life during Jacobite Rebellion. The choices and hardships of the people left to fight and survive after the death or desertion by their leaders. The hero, Garrett is truly heroic and the heroine, Maddie is brave, but blinded by her own prejudice. Garrett is blinded by his feelings for her and fails to see what is going on right in front of him, and thus he seems a bit slow. Honestly, Garrett is so patient and wise that Maddi...more
liirogue
I really enjoyed this! A strong female lead and the author does a great job of immersing the reader in the time period. I felt like the characters made fairly reasonable/believable decisions (a rarity in romance novels, it seems!). I also liked that it wasn't easy for the characters. They had to work at it a bit. My main complaint is there are a lot of typos in the kindle edition - it obviously wasn't proofread after conversion.
Kbee
Thsi was a pretty good book. Though to long at times or not as captivating as it could of been. What happens after Culloden. Fraser clan as been hit hard. The story was as good as an English soldier marries a Scottish heiress. History wise it was good. And OG ladies, there's a bit on Lord Lovat, Simon Fraser in there.
Johanna
Ronna
Surprisingly enjoyable historical romance. Easy and fast pace with no slow spots. I felt like this book was a bit of an Outlander rip off, but nonetheless, it had engaging characters, beautiful imagery and a compelling storyline. I will definitely check out other books by this author.
Roxanne
This is a good love story. You immediately fall in love with the heroine and root for her the entire time. I love historical romance and especially Scotland historical romance so maybe my opinion was swayed by that. There is a lot of action that keeps you reading.
Felmar Rowell Singco
One of the most beautiful books I have ever read.

I still relish the story of it until now.

It beautifully captures the love and hate relationship between England and Scotland, and between the English and the Scots.
Laurie
Wonderful, sweeping tale of fierce loyalty, perseverance, hope, passion and love! I am partial to celtic/irish/scottish stories and this one reaffirmed my love for them.
SANDRA
It truely was a sweet and endearing tale. I love how the herione was a "Robin Hood" and it was amazing what she was willing to do to help her people. Just loved it. :)
Bethica
I'm sorry but this book just never took off. I had problems getting through the prologue but figured I'd still give it a try. I just couldn't force myself to finish it.
Kristin
I think this book deserves more stars. It is one of the more enjoyable books I have read by Mariam Minger. I have read most of her books they are fun reads!
Karen
Maddy sure was one thick headed girl and I was losing any sympathy for her and was headed to feeling Garrett was foolish to continue to care for her.
Terri Pray
Wanted to enjoy this one more, but some aspects of the plot didn't sit well at all - perhaps because it's a period of history I know fairly well...
Kelli
Probably wouldn't read anything else by this author, it was slow and meandered in a frustrating way but the story was good enough.
Kathleen Crowell
I like when the female leads aren't shrinking violets and the male leads have some sensitivity! And who doesn't love Scotland!
Kathleen
this was a pretty good story - decent action and suspense, although the love story was a little silly!
Marina
Didn't finishe it, the heroine got me so pissed that I put it away never to be seen again!!
Julie
I thought this was a well-written, but pretty predictable and run-of-the-mill romance.
Karen
A historical novel set in Scotland after the battle of Culloden. I liked it.
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Much Ado About Madams
  • Bound by the Heart
  • California Caress
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • A Highlander for the Holidays (A Highland Erotic Romance)
  • Legacy
  • Twice a Rake
  • The Countess (Bride Quest, #4)
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Of Noble Birth
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • The Mistress' House
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • One True Love
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 1 (Anna, Rachel & Charlet)
  • Bridleton
Miriam Minger's first novel Twin Passions was called "A fabulous debut!" by Romantic Times. Since then, Miriam has swept readers into her unforgettable historical romances with her strong, forceful heroes and fiery heroines. She is the winner of several Reviewer's Choice Awards--including Best Medieval Historical Romance of the Year Award from Romantic Times for The Pagan's Prize--and a two-time R...more
More about Miriam Minger...
Wild Angel Twin Passions Secrets of Midnight Defiant Impostor Captive Rose