Cross Current (Seychelle Sullivan, #2)

Cross Current (Seychelle Sullivan #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Christine Kling’s first novel, Surface Tension, introduced a remarkable sleuth in Seychelle Sullivan. Now, in Kling’s electrifying new book, Sullivan returns–a tall, strong, beautiful woman in a man’s world, caught up in a complex drama set on the South Florida seacoast, where the crimes, hopes, and follies of dreamers and con artists all come washing ashore.

Seychelle is p...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published September 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cross Current, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Current

Llona Cunningham
Much enjoyed the 2nd Seychelle Sullivan adventure. Can't wait to get started on the next one. She's a great protagonist with enough variety in co-stars to carry the plot all the way to conclusion. Author Kling's knowledge of working boats, ocean currents, and the social world of people who live in that environment have once again been an unintended education smoothly woven into the story. And I'll leave it there -- lest the next thing I say becomes a spoiler.
Marti
This was a rather exciting story which took place in Florida when it was not on the sea. Seychelle was the name of the main character, a tugboat and salvage captain who rescues an almost drowned young Haitian girl. THey form a close bond, as Seychelle tries to locate her father. We learn about the practice of having young Haitian girls transformed into slaves, in order to get them to the United States. Seychelle spends about a day or so floating between Bimini and Florida before her rescue.
Deanna
I had conversations with the author on Goodreads. She seemed very nice and very interesting. I was afraid I would not like her books and have to insult her. I decided to read one of her earlier books before reading the one I received from Goodreads. Thankfully I liked this book. The characters are interesting. I love the main character and her independence. Seychelle brings to mind VI Warshawski & Kate Shugak. Not a copy in any way, just strong women in a man's world.

I am from Florida so lo...more
Suzanne Williams
Seychelle Sullivan does more in a 24 hour period that should be allowed by any human being, but perhaps that is part of her charm. The other part is the fantastic detail the author, Christine Kling, includes in the story. From the first page to the last, she describes landscapes, boat procedures, and a mish-mash of other items until you can see it all. Her ability to put the reader into a situation is what brought me back to this series. I also love how her plots are unpredictable and fast-paced...more
Jackie Mandeville
Cross Current is a book about a woman named Seychelle who runs a tug boat business in Florida that she took over for her father Red. The story starts with Seychelle finding a little Haitian girl in a wooden boat in the middle of the ocean. There is also a dead woman with this little girl named Solange. The mystery starts there. From the moment Seychelle drags Solange onto the boat she feels a strong connection and urge to protect this girl. The story is very heartfelt but a bit dragged out. From...more
Quillracer
This book was better than Kling’s first entry in the series. That’s always a good sign.

Kling delved more deeply into her main character’s persona than I remember her revealing in the first book. In that one, Seychelle came across as a tough, no-nonsense tugboat operator. Here, we get under that front and see a person capable of caring for others and going to great lengths and risk to help them.

There were some violent scenes but Kling didn’t go overboard on the gore, just gave us enough detail to...more
Wendy
Very much enjoying this series. Love Seychelles as a strong female protagonist in a field dominated by men & she holds her own. Fascinated by the nautical twists & facts included in each novel.
Will Decker
Seychelle stole my heart once again! This is the second in the series that I've read and enjoyed it as much as the first (Surface Tension). Kling definitely knows her way around a boat, but she uses her knowledge to benefit the story, not self-promote. I didn't feel the suspense that everyone else seems to have felt in this story, probably because we all know Seychelle is a survivor (literally), but I loved the action, or rather Seychelle's lack of action. It would have been so easy for the auth...more
Kay Robinson
I read this out of sequence, however, each being a standalone novel, it didn't make too much difference. Our Seychelle gets herself mixed up with people trafficking and even Voodoo in this adventure, as usual her headstrong ways soon get her into deep water, in more ways than one. Christine Kling's style makes for exciting reading, set in world that few of us are lucky enough to experience, and the journey is as full of new knowledge as it is of adventure, danger and romance. I'm amazed that (as...more
Norma Huss
This mystery finds Seychelle Sullivan deeply involved in people smuggling, protecting a lost child, and Haitian culture, not to mention near-fatal danger. Highly recommended for anyone interested in maritime mystery, and well, a thrilling good story.

I always love it when I try a new author and she (or he) turns out to be a new favorite! And, when that author has several books I haven't yet read, that's even better. I've followed Christine Kling's blog for some time since I've been a boater myse...more
Allen
A fun read especially if you are into boating. I did find 4 errors though.
Laurie Hanan
This is a gem of a story. I’m so glad I stumbled upon it while looking for the next fun read to load into my Kindle. The easy-to-read style and fast-paced action made it hard to put down. The author brought the setting in Southern Florida to life. The descriptions were vivid but not over-done. I was entranced by the characters, especially little Solange. I will definitely be reading the rest of this series.
Matt Kelland
For some reason I read this before reading the first book, but that wasn't a problem. It's a good solid read, with illegal immigrants, voodoo, and well-drawn, interesting characters. As a recent immigrant to Florida, I enjoyed the Fort Lauderdale setting, which made a welcome change from the usual locations. Now to go back and read the previous one!
Angel
I am all about suspenseful thrillers with feelings, which this book does not lack. More importantly I like believable and lovable recurring characters. Therefore, I really like Seychelle Sullivan. A lot. I would love to hang out with her and go for a boat ride. I look forward to spending more time with her and this author.
Paullei Mumme
While the villain was predictable, I enjoyed the book. After finishing the second book and reflecting on the first book of the series, I wanted to see where the author took the characters in the third book. It is the ensemble of characters that holds my attention, more so than Seychelle.
Cindy
Taking place in Florida, this books delves deeply into the world of Haitian immigrants and the horrible conditions under which they come to America only to face even more challenges. I found this book not only a fun mystery to read, but informative as well.
Heidi
Christine Kling delivers! She's just one of those writers you know you can depend on for a great story that's well paced and driven by interesting characters. Cross Current is another great installment in the Seychelle Sullivan series.
Tammy Knight
It's not often the second book is better than the first, but I think that's the case here. It was pretty obvious who the "bad guy" was but there were still some twists that caught me off guard. A good read...
Nancy
Not at all what I expected. I expected an adventure at sea, and learned instead about child slavery. http://www.restavekfreedom.org/

I liked the characters and will probably read more in the series.
Debra Ryan
#2 of 4 books featuring female tug captain and sleuth Seychelle Sullivan. Worth reading for the spot-on feel of south Florida. I miss Florida.
Kelly
Book two in the series, but the first I've read. Fast paced, well-written.
Sarah Bacchus
This author was the teacher of my online fiction class. Really rad book, very interesting storyline and very unpredictable ending.
Robin Halvorson
A very enjoyable read. The best thing about finishing this book is that I have two more books in the series on hand to read.
Jeffrey Hammerhead
I love books that take place in Florida and on the water. Great read.
Connie Becerra
Read on my Kindle. Great characters in these books. Fun to read.
Bumbershootbears
Enjoyed this book a great deal. Likable main character.
Kay
Woman tugboat pilot tries to save Haitian girl.
Connie V
Really liked this book. I couldn't put it down.
Christa
good series, I like the characters.
Debra
Aug 12, 2011 Debra marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Book 1 in Seychelle Sullivan series.
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • Saving Jackie K
  • A Provencal Mystery
  • A Night of Horrors: A Historical Thriller about the 24 Hours of Lincoln's Assassination
  • Jazz Funeral (Skip Langdon, #3)
  • King of Swords (Assassin #1)
  • The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady (The King Henry Tapes, #1)
  • Bone Blind
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • The Shut Mouth Society
  • Blood Money
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Hot Enough to Kill (The Jolene Jackson Mystery Series, #1)
  • Cloak
  • Paper Woman (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 1)
  • A False Dawn
  • An Island of Illusions (A Sarah Woods Mystery # 3)
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
I have spent over thirty years living on and around boats and cruising the Caribbean and the Pacific. I've been a boat wife, mother and now I am captain of my own boat. I've had articles and stories published in many publications including Cruising World, Sailing!, and The Tiller and the Pen, Gulfstream Magazine and Miami Noir. My first four novels are in a series about Florida female tugboat capt...more
More about Christine Kling...
Dragon's Triangle Circle of Bones Surface Tension (Seychelle Sullivan, #1) Bitter End (Seychelle Sullivan, #3) Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)