Start by marking “Cry Freedom” as Want to Read:
Cry Freedom

Cry Freedom

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  413 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A novel by award-winning script writer of Ghandi.
Published July 6th 1994 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Cry Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Freedom

alaska
Oct 28, 2013 alaska rated it liked it
Shelves: john-briley
El libro en sí es bastante lento y algunas veces aburrido. Habla básicamente sobre la lucha de la gente negra por la igualdad. Es bastante realista y voy a poner algunas frases de Cry Freedom que me gustaron o llamaron mi atención.

"No matter how stupid or how clever a white child is, he is born into his white world. But you, the black child, clever or stupid, are born into this... and, clever or stupid, you will die in it..."
Se refiere a que si naces blanco, en el mundo de los blancos, siempre
Tumelo Motaung
May 14, 2016 Tumelo Motaung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For years I have confidently referred to myself as an advocate of the struggles of my people, always with their needs at the forefront. Some time back, it became aparent that I know very little about what really goes on on the ground and what the subsequent psychological influence in black lives. That I understand even less where we haave come from as a people. Reading about Biko's journey, espacially his murder, shook me. Not only did it deepen my understanding of the atrocties of the era, but ...more
Rania
Nov 22, 2015 Rania rated it it was amazing
Masao Koda
Apr 26, 2015 Masao Koda rated it it was amazing
1. Oxford level6

2. 04/20=90min, 04/21=120min, 04/25=120min, 04/26=120min

3. South Africa, publish, black, white, peace, dead, relief

4.(a) 'We have the right to be angry,' Biko continued, 'but let us remember we are in this struggle not to kill someone but to kill the idea that one kind of man is better than another kind of man.'
(b) I like this passage and I sympathize with this idea. I think a black is equal as well as a white. And this idea is not violent but peaceful.

5. Actually, I had a hard
Cheryl
Jan 08, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Was able to picture the film while I read the book, fantastic
Stuart Hickson
Jun 22, 2013 Stuart Hickson rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Rated this book, although it does not delve deep enough into Bikos character it is still a terrific read
Mariana
Oct 27, 2014 Mariana rated it really liked it
Simona
Jul 27, 2015 Simona rated it it was amazing
i had to read it for school and it was without a doubt the best school lecture i have ever read
this book really impressed me and i'd like to think that even if i didn't have to read it, i still would, even twice.
definitely recommend it to everybody.
this book gave me a better look at what really happend during Apartheid, how bad it really, was, and what kind of heros actually existed.

this book left me thinking for a long time after i put it down.

never read a school lecture that fast, especially
JJ Bowness
I thought that is was a very intriguing book and I found it to be very impactful on my life as a whole. I saw the veracity in this book and I feel that it depicts society as it is in reality. We are often overly enthusiastic of the world, we neglect to accept the fact that change is imminent. This book addresses the harsh actuality of the society we live in. Some are deemed to be set apart from the others. The way this book condemns racial discrimination is unlike what I have ever seen, and it w ...more
Ruth
Aug 08, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
John Briley’s novel was adapted from his own screenplay for the film of the same name, which in turn was adapted from two books by Donald Woods (‘Biko’ and ‘Asking for Trouble’).

It tells the true story of the friendship between white Journalist Donald Woods, and black anti-Apartheid activist Stephen Biko, in South Africa in the 1970s. Initially suspicious of each other’s motives, Woods and Biko become united, driven by their desire for equality in South Africa. When Biko dies in Police Custody –
Foggy Cupcaketree

This book book was well written and the story was catchy - it was the writing, which threw me off.

"You can never own land or pass anything on to your children. The land belongs to the white man.. and you, all you have got to give your children is this..." And Biko touched the black skin on his face.

I thought it was sad, that it was like that then, because it shouldn't be like that. You shouldn't feel like it isn't a great thing, to give on your skin-color to you kids.
Channyta Khieu
May 05, 2014 Channyta Khieu rated it really liked it
I underestimated this book. It was given in Literature Studies class for sophomores, and I immediately thought it was going to be another boring school book. Then I had to read it for the upcoming test, and I was amazed by how drawn I was to reading it. Hey never judge a book by its cover! :)
André
Apr 16, 2015 André rated it liked it
I read this book a while ago, but from what I recall is that there were some phases of quite along interesting and thoughtful and those are good. I liked those phases.
But then there are those insipid dull and almost stopping you from reading boring phases.
Overall it is a good book when it comes to the story telling and content material and it is well written.
Trying not to spoil anyone, the book tells us the story of the black community fighting for their rights and individuality in society whi
Lara Malik
Jan 12, 2015 Lara Malik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: usa
Este libro me fue encomendado obligatoriamente para la Escuela y fue una verdadera sorpresa.

Acostumbrada a leer textos escolares que normalmente suelen ser odiosos, Cry Freedom me parecio algo diferente e interesante para nosotros, los alumnos. Un tema fuerte y complicado en un libro ligero pero no falto de detalles.

La unica crítica que tengo, es que me dio la sensación de tener dos finales. Uno durante el velorio de Biko y el otro el escape del periodista y su familia. Son como dos cierres dist
Annelies
Dec 03, 2014 Annelies rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-bezit, read-2014
Blijft een heel mooi boek. Heb het jaren geleden al eens gelezen
en heb ook de film gezien.
Sarah Nsiime
Briley Cry Freedom
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 20, 2010 Stephanie "Jedigal" rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
It's been many years, so being conservative with a 3 star rating. I remember that I knew a tiny little bit about Steve Biko, and I really appreciated how accessible this book made some of that history. Accounts of real people can sometimes seem dull to me.... but not this one.
Sangeeta Mangubhai
Aug 06, 2015 Sangeeta Mangubhai rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, but I needed a big box of tissues. The world became a little less bright when Steve Biko was murdered.
Ciaran Mcfadden
Mar 21, 2013 Ciaran Mcfadden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspirational figure and a good-ish book. However, don't think it really goes into the subject in enough depth. little bit lightweight in my opinion.
Tripti Shrestha
Feb 01, 2008 Tripti Shrestha rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!! It's so gripping you can't stop turning the pages, and you learn so much from this book.....
Lara
Jul 30, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing
I cried and then cried some more. What a great read. I will never look at humanity the same way.
Lucy Waters
May 12, 2013 Lucy Waters rated it it was amazing
excellent couldn't put it down !
Oisin Byrne
The inspirational story of Steve Biko.
Katherine Howell
Nov 25, 2007 Katherine Howell rated it it was amazing
Horrifying and inspirational at once
Nivek
May 03, 2013 Nivek rated it liked it
STEVE BIKO!!!!
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Lara Perkins
Lara Perkins marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Steve P
Steve P rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
  • The Backward Shadow (Jane Graham, #2)
  • Speeches That Changed The World
  • Islam's Quantum Question: Reconciling Muslim Tradition and Modern Science
  • And Did Those Feet: Walking Through 2000 Years of British and Irish History
  • Zink
  • صوت من المنفى: تأملات في الإسلام
  • El negro en ik
  • De kleine keizer: verslag van een passie
  • The Ghost and the Darkness
  • Pop: The Genius of Andy Warhol
  • The Great Life Photographers
  • Roget's Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases (Reference Books)
  • De stamhouder
  • Hoe duur was de suiker?
  • Hoe God verdween uit Jorwerd: een Nederlands dorp in de twintigste eeuw
  • My Father's Keeper: Children of Nazi Leaders-An Intimate History of Damage and Denial
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz