Start by marking “Sanctuary (X-Men Mutant Empire #2)” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary (X-Men Mutant Empire #2)

Sanctuary (X-Men Mutant Empire #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Big Apple has been taken over by the X-Men's arch-enemy, Magneto. He's declared it a haven to all mutants, vowing to rule the new empire with his Acolytes--with their law enforced by reprogrammed Sentinels. The X-Men must penetrate the enslaved city and stop Megneto before he advances his mad plan to expand his empire from New York to the entire world! Original.
Published November 1st 1996 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary

Oct 23, 2010 Chelsea is currently reading it
Reads like a fanfic, which is essentially what it is. Not bad, not good--it simply is. Plot is pretty standard X-Men fare.
I read the Mutant Empire novels in one combined book.

In Sanctuary, Magneto has gathered numerous mutants in Manhatten and taken it over as his own empire.

With half the X-Men on another mission and X-Factor out of the loop, it is up to a few X-Men to try to stop Magneto on their own.

As with the first book in this series, Sanctuary was well-written and is not as immature as one might expect from a novel written from a comic book series.
A really good sequel, can't wait for the last installment! But like the first one, I had to pause in order to look up some of the characters I was unfamiliar with.
Golden's Mutant Empire trilogy is an excellent example of graphic characters being translated successfully into a prose format. His care for the work is evident as he explores peripheral characters that get short shrift in the comics, bringing them to life and showing how important they are to the big-name players and major story arcs. It's a very well-written story, not padded to fill a certain length as many of the similar comics trilogies of the day were, and would serve as an excellent start ...more
Anthony McDowell
Thoroughly enjoyed this part two of the trilogy. This writer can write. There are three storylines: Cyclops "away" team is on a space ship the whole book drifting towards the sun, which sounds boring but ends up being quite good; Storm's "home" team is up against Magneto, who has reprogrammed the Sentinels to target humans instead of mutants, and taken over Manhattan renaming the city, now a country, Haven appropriately named as a safe haven for mutants; Charles Xavier is being a diplomat, which ...more
Ben Mariner
If you care enough to pay close attention to the dates I've started/finished this book, you'll see that it took me quite some time. Longer than it normally takes me, at least. That typically means that I dislike the book in some way and it's causing me to take forever to finish. However, in this case, I got side tracked by different graphic novels and other things, so the length of this read has no bearing on my opinion. Just thought I should clear that up.

That being said, this book was pretty r
Mary JL
Mar 28, 2014 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: X-men/comics/SF fans
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Book 2 of the "Mutant Empire" series continues from where we left off in "Siege". Storm and Wolverine and their team are sneaking into Manhattan to try to stop Magneto, their old foe.

Cyclops and Jean Grey and their team are stranded in space---attempting to return to Earth on the Starjammers' ship.

Again, Christopher Golden alternates between the two groups of X-men to follow up the action in "Siege" and set us up for the conclusion in Book 3.

So we do get a lot of action and interesting plot twis
mkhare marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Pam marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Alfonso Martinez
Alfonso Martinez marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Ashley Schroader
Ashley Schroader marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Orlanda Sanders
Orlanda Sanders marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Ilija marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Laura added it
Aug 18, 2015
Mary Kate
Mary Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Isaiah Castillo
Isaiah Castillo is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2015
Clint Cornfield
Clint Cornfield marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Ken marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Nef marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
  • X-Men: Empire's End
  • The Origin of Generation X: Tales of the Phalanx Covenant
  • Spider-Man: Carnage in New York
  • X-Men: Dark Mirror
  • The Ultimates: Tomorrow Men (Marvel Classics)
  • Spider-Man: Revenge of the Sinister Six
  • Justice League of America/Batman: The Stone King
  • X-Men 2
  • Wolverine: Violent Tendencies
  • The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast
  • Wolverine: Lifeblood
  • Infinite Crisis
  • The Science of the X-Men
  • Road of Bones (Wolverine)
  • Batman Begins
  • Supervillains and Philosophy: Sometimes, Evil is its Own Reward
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more
More about Christopher Golden...

X-Men Mutant Empire (3 books)
  • Siege (X-Men Mutant Empire, #1)
  • Salvation (X-Men Mutant Empire #3)
Hellboy: Odd Jobs The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Hellboy: Odder Jobs Snowblind