Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853

Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853 (The Royal Diaries)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  1,901 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Author Barry Denenberg brings us into the whirlwind that is the life of Princess Elisabeth of Austria. A free and impetuous spirit, Elisabeth is chosen at the age of fifteen (over her older sister) to be the wife of Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria. From that moment on, she is thrown into an intimidating world of restrictions and tremendous responsibilities. Feeling lonely...more
Published April 2003 by Scholastic (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Elisabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elisabeth

Cleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryMarie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyEleanor by Kristiana Gregory
The Royal Diaries
13th out of 20 books — 229 voters
Marie Antoinette by Kathryn LaskyCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryAnastasia by Carolyn MeyerElizabeth I by Kathryn LaskyVoyage on the Great Titanic by Ellen Emerson White
Our favorite diary books
17th out of 173 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan Marie
Lady Knight
I liked the diary part of this novel, but it really paled in comparison to the epilogue/afterword/historical note part that technically is not even part of the novel. The afterword is longer than the actual diary, and it really makes one wish that the novel had been based on her life after marriage, rather than on the few months between meeting the Emperor and marrying him. Elisabeth seems like such a tragic character and I think, basing my opinion on the afterword, that her life desearved much...more
Rebecca
Fifteen-year-old Princess Elisabeth, called Sisi, is the daughter of Duke Maximilian Joseph of Bavaria and his wife, Princess Ludovica. She has had a carefree childhood in the Bavarian countryside. She spends as much of her days as possible horseback riding, her favorite pastime. But everything changes in the summer of 1857. Sisi's older sister, Helene, has been chosen to marry their cousin, Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria. Their mother is taking Helene to meet Franz Joseph, and has decided to t...more
Jinny (SkyInk.net)
For my next Royal Diaries book, I decided to read about Empress Elisabeth of Austria. I don’t really know anything about her, so I didn’t have any preconceived expectations or anything like that.

I’ve read a fair number of Royal Diaries books (including this one on Elisabeth, I have read 12 of the 20 books in this series), so from my experience so far, I think this book is the most put-together one. Some of the other diaries were just, well, diaries, where the princesses talked about their day to...more
Carrie Slager
My first thought upon finishing this book: No wonder the monarchies all around Europe fell. Such extravagance, ingrained traditions and lack of self-awareness! Such inbreeding! (Well, that was what the Hapsburgs were famous for, after all.)

If this wasn’t real historical fact, I’d be laughing at the cliché premise. I mean, really? A young princess goes with her older sister and mother to meet the Emperor of Austria with the hopes of arranging a marriage. The older sister is the one he’s supposed...more
Kristian
I find Elizabeth (Queen Elizebert or Princess Sissi) a hugely fascinating historical personage, both for what she managed to do politically (especially for Hungary) but also what her position reduced her to, personality-wise. She is a complex, unhappy, driven woman. This book conveys very little on that, instead focussing on her meeting and marrying the Emperor of the Austrian Empire (what the book titles Austria-Hungary, but Elizabeth is the one who raises Hungary to equal status with Austra in...more
Drucilla
I would have given this book 4 stars except I would have liked more backstory on Elisabeth's family and position and at 93 pages, the book definitely had space to do so. I mean, I didn't even know Poppy was her father until she mentions him having "other children". I also felt like there was a big disconnect between the diary portion and the historical note (and not just because the historical note doesn't really focus on Elisabeth). Elisabeth apparently became known as a fashion icon later in l...more
Mira
My friend and I were discussing about the Royal Diaries series one day, and we came to the topic of Elisabeth, or Sisi, as she was known.

I found this book a little too light hearted for my liking in comparison to her actual story. She comes off a little vain at the beginning, but after reading Marie Antoinette's story, I didn't see her as that vain. Merely confident.

I felt pity though for her sister, who was deemed 'too old' for marriage. But this is where the tradition and social aspects of t...more
Rachel
I have had a fascination with Empress Elisabeth--or Sisi, or, indeed, Erszebet, as I first heard her called--since I traveled to Budapest and found the hotel, street, bridge, et cetera all named after her. And when I found her omnipresent in Vienna as well, I needed to know about the woman who had inspired such adoration. What a fascinating and incredible woman she was, and what a tragic story she had!

The "diary" part of this book is short and not at all deep--but this is a young adult, or poss...more
Ana Mardoll
Elisabeth, Princess Bride / 0-439-26644-0

Our beautiful subject, Elisabeth, is another rather obscure princess and something of a late edition to the Royal Diary series - her own death precedes World War I by just a couple of decades.

This is a very short book. The listing is for 151 pages, but after accounting for the epilogue and the "Author's Note" which sums up Elisabeth's later life and death, we are left with less than 100 pages of actual diary. The diary covers only the very short period of...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Maria
Cover Story: The Horse and His Girl
BFF Charm: Maybe
Swoonworthy Scale: 0*
Talky Talk: Breezy
Relationship Status: Unsatisfying First Date

Read the full book report here.
Jaymee
Jul 16, 2013 Jaymee added it
Shelves: historicalfic
I liked this book and she's a particularly interesting character. The book actually encouraged me to look more into her story and lead me to watch the Sissi Trilogy starring Romy Schneider. It was amazing but in truth I find somewhat lacking. Though a review for that movie isn't really what this is for.

What I really love about The Royal Diaries series is that they always accompany it with the epilogue. Which I find is most useful to know what happened after the diary entries. Also, they include...more
Ashwise
An interesting and fictional look at the future Austrian Empress.
Chrissy
Very nicely written.
Elisabeth is interesting, and approachable.
The big problem with this entry to the series is that it is much too short. It was I think a good deal shorter than any other volume I have read so far. Normally I appreciate the section of the book where historical reference is given, but in this case it seemed like it was given almost as many pages as the "story"

on a side note on page 101 three little words are used in perfect order to make me grin. Book about Austria... sound of m...more
Elaine Shipley-pope
I actually sorta like the royal diary books. I really enjoy historical fiction especially royalty before the 1900s. These books are geared towards a slightly younger age group but as I didn't know very much about Elisabeth I was still interested through out the whole book. This one covers the months leading up to her marriage.
Liz
Well, having first learned of Elisabeth through the animated series called "" Princess Sisi"" I fell in love with her. I looked for junior books of her story and found this to be one of the best.

Diaries of course,are something every little girl knows how to read,and fairly easy to read. Plus, it's also pretty fun. Nothing like reading another person's diary! hehe. But yes, it's a good little book to read for the average girl ages nine through fourteen.
Katie H
It's incredible just how short this book is. The actual content is only around 90 pages. The rest is historical context. The book describes her marriage, but not about her problems raising her children which I thought would have been dramatic and more interesting than the plot here.

Also the cover bothers me. Elisabeth, who is supposed to be an accomplished equestrienne, is holding the reins wrong!
Brooke
I thought this book was just fine. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. I guess it wasn't as fun for me because it was really short. If you have a short book, I think you need to have a dominant emotion that relates to you as you read, or else you won't find it interesting. This book didn't have that.
Karen
This takes Elisabeth from 1853 as she and her almost betrothed sister are getting ready to go visit the Emperor, to her wedding day in April 1854. Renown for her hair, beauty and equestrian skills, she was ultimately not as "suited" for royal life as here sister.
Kellee
These are really great books they are quick reading but really interesting and nice for the genealogy
buff who wants a more personal look into the lives of their ancestors, or if you just want to appreciate the life we live right now.
Sally
A "diary" of Princess Elisabeth in the year leading up to her wedding. Written quite young but still an interesting enough read. I liked how the last quarter of the book was all historial notes, what happened after the wedding, and so on.
Rebekah
I like history a lot and this is one of the more interesting monarchs of history although not by much. It's a good read and the writing format is great. I enjoy reading these historical fiction books
Candide
Apr 17, 2011 Candide rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Candide by: Ms. Braza
The epilogue was interesting. I learned that Elisabeth died at the age of sixty, on September 10, 1898. She was murdered by a 24 year old who stabbed her. There were other cool facts.
Molly
I absolutely love the entire Royal Diaries series. They are all incredibly brilliant. MY favorite are Jahanara, Eleanor and Lady of Ch'iao Kuo. They're a great way to learn history.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Poor lady what a life! Good for her for standing up for herself even if it took her till later on in her life! How could anyone be able to live with that mother-inlaw from hell?
Cinward
I'd have rated it higher, and liked it more, if there had been more there. I was just getting into the story when it ended. The historical note was longer than the actual story.
Kimberley
I quite enjoyed this book and I read it quite often. It was a nice twist in the story of the way her life dramatically changes and how it all ends out with her tragic death.
Angie
I was not very familiar with Elisabeth, but I have to say that even after reading this I don't know if I'm very familiar with Elisabeth...it was a bit forgettable.
Brigitte
My favorite part was the description of her trousseau ^.^ Obviously, this is elementary-school level, but I still enjoyed it, if only for the nostalgia.
Meghan
Like many of the author's books, the story felt too rushed and I did not like the epilogue. The historical note was too broad and the pictures never-ending.
  • Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638
  • Anacaona: Golden Flower, Haiti, 1490
  • Kaiulani: The People's Princess, Hawaii, 1889
  • Nzingha: Warrior Queen of Matamba, Angola, Africa, 1595
  • Lady of Ch'iao Kuo: Red Bird of the South, Southern China, A.D. 531
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalia de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
Barry Denenberg is the critically acclaimed author of non-fiction and historical fiction. His historical fiction includes titles in the Dear America, My Name is America, and Royal Diaries series, many of which have been named NCSS/CBC Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People. His nonfiction books have covered a wide array of topics, from Anne Frank to Elvis Presley. After the publicatio...more
More about Barry Denenberg...
So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America) When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864 (Dear America) Early Sunday Morning: the Pearl Harbor Diary of Amber Billows, Hawaii, 1941 (Dear America) One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss (Dear America) Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: The Diary of Bess Brennan (Dear America)