Start by marking “Shackleton's Boat Journey” as Want to Read:
Shackleton's Boat Journey

Shackleton's Boat Journey

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  29 reviews
This is an account of the Shackleton boat journey. The journey began in August 1914 in London and the next the world knew of Shackleton was in May 1916, when three ragged men staggered into the whaling station at Grytviken on South Georgia. On August 1, 1914, on the eve of World War I, Sir Ernest Shackleton and his hand-picked crew embarked in HMS Endurance from London's W...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Birlinn Ltd (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Shackleton's Boat Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shackleton's Boat Journey

Mary
I'd already read Worsley's "Endurance" and fell in love with the land of Ice. That book covers their entire journey while this little book zooms in on the truly horrifyingly-exciting adventure of that story: The last leg of an amazing time in the Antarctic by Shackleton et al.
Worsley's account of the Endurance journey is my personal favorite so when I stumbled upon this at my public library I grabbed it quick. You know how some story tellers just are more captivating than all the others? That's...more
Rick
I have read as much as I could put my hands on regarding the Endurance expedition of Sir Ernest Shackleton. There is simply not a better adventure story out there than this one. Worsley was Shackleton's ship captain; a man of courage, strength, and determination.

Worsley was also an amazing seaman, navigating a 22 foot open boat hundreds of miles through uncharted waters in a hurricane. Amazing just doesn't cover it. But don't start with this book. "Endurance" is his seminal work and you should b...more
Rick Hollis
I have read a number of books about Shackleton and his disastrous Antarctic trip. Most are extracts of the real history, pieced together the way histories usually are. This is the real thing. Worsley wrote the book, seven years after he was a key character in the actual events.

Worsely was the navigator. He was not the one who got the Endurance hopelessly caught it the pack ice. He was the won who navigated the three boats from the edge of the ice to Elephant Island. He was the one who navigate t...more
Wayne
Loved this book. What a crazy adventure. What could be more fun then hanging with Shackleton in Antarctica? I could almost feel the cold as I read this book. Burr.
Eric_W
Another truly great adventure story (although the saga of how he came to be in the predicament is a rather sorry one,) is that of Shackleton’s great boat journey. After his ship became trapped and crushed in the ice during an abortive attempt at a sea-to-sea overland journey across Antarctica, Ernest Shackleton led a group of six men (the remaining crew were left behind to wait for rescue) in a 22-foot boat across some 800 miles of the stormiest ocean known to man at the height of winter. The vo...more
Jenifer
I read this edition, written by the captain of this epic expedition thinking that the first-person account would be the very best. I felt like I got a good overview of the basic facts, but from kind of a quiet, humble old sailor. His own name isn't even in the title of the book! He starts when the voyage begins and ends at the end. He reveres Shackleton from start to finish. I liked this guy and appreciated him for telling this incredible story almost casually. As if; "That's what you do". One c...more
Greg Brozeit
A wonderful short book recommended for anyone who is familiar with the Shackleton Endurance expedition and wants to read more. Worsley was the captain of the Endurance and was also the navigator on the rescue journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia and over the South Georgia mountains to Stromness Bay. This is his recollection of the trip from when the crew left the ice pack for Elephant Island through the ultimate rescue of the entire crew. Not a good starting point to learn about the ill...more
Kellie
Oh wow! This first hand account makes the story even more gripping and nail biting! I was touched by the many instances of Worsley's acknowledgement of God's hand in their journey. Just an unbelievable story.
Judy
With humor and compassion, the captain of the Endurance in 1914 writes his narrative of the harrowing sea journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island, across the mountains to the whaling station, and, finally, rescuing his shipmates on Elephant Island. His anecdotes and asides are wonderful.
Jerry Smith
Jun 02, 2008 Jerry Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jerry by: jerry@balancelifework.com
Shelves: history
This is a fascinating read, written by someone who was actually on the tip and therefore all the more powerful for that. It is couched in terms and language of the day so also makes for a great insight into the thinking of the times.

It is hard to imagine that world in today's high tech situation. If Shackleton hadn't braved this journey all his party would probably have died - nobody knew where they were and of course there was no way for them to contact the outside world.

It is a relatively sho...more
Cameron
This is a thrilling account of one of the most daring, desparate and dangerous journeys ever undertaken.

It a short, no frills account from the lauch of the 3 boats from the ice floe to eventual successful rescue of the 22 men left on Elephat Island.

As it is a first hand account there is minimum surmising or post-fact elaboration.

If I had 1 critism is that the foot note about the "James Caird" being at the National Maritime Museum is out of date - the boat is at Dulwich College again.

I would reco...more
Maria
This book was short and an easy read. It was a journal format for one of the people that was with Sir Shackleton. The amazing thing is how beautiful he described Shackleton's leadership qualities. There was a definite devotion that his men had for him. He did not lose one person on this unfortunate event of being stranded. And he cared immensely for all of his men. It is also a tribute to what we as humans are able to endure when it comes to hardships but also ingenuity in survival skills.
Sally
This is a first-hand recounting of the voyages of three small boats from the Antarctic pack ice to Elephant Island and then of one boat on to South Georgia, including the subsequent hike over the island to the whaling station. Though not as smoothly written as Lansing's "Endurance," which my dad read me several times as a child, you get a much stronger feeling for the hardships involved in these amazing feats.
Elaine
Great first-hand account of the what the crew of the Endurance went through. I'm just still in awe of what they all went through, and physical dangers they survived. You could clearly see the admiration and loyalty Worsley had for Shackleton as a leader. After reading Alfred Lansing's "Endurance", this felt much more personal, and it was kind of fun to hear some of the humor and personal thoughts through the whole ordeal.
Kimberly
Mar 03, 2011 Kimberly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kimberly by: book club January 2011
Shelves: book-club
I loved the story behind this book. It is an amazing story of survival and endurance. It shows incredible leadership and a drive for survival. There are several books about this journey and I think some of the others may have been written in a way I would have enjoyed a little more. This account was very factually and not as engaging to me but I still loved the story.
Bill
And you can see and touch the James Caird in London at Dulwich College. It is inspiring to see it and amazing to touch it. I've seen a replica in the Maritime Museum in London, but take a couple hours and see the real thing.

The story is hair raising and at the end of it you want to shake Worsley's hand.
Joe White
One of the original small boat expeditions, though under forced conditions. This is exceptionally comparative material for any of the contemporary ocean rows that have sprung up.
There is also some mountaineering and lots of ice expedition narrative for those seeking cold adventures.
John
The first-person narrative by the captain of Shackleton's ship as he, Shackleton, and a small crew made a daring sea voyage to get help for the remainder of their stranded crew. Lots of fascinating details about survival in the polar sea.
Curtiss
The story of Ernest Shakleton's 1914 Trans-Antarctic Expedition as told by Frank Arthur Worsley, captain of HMS Endurance, and Shackleton's third in command; illustrated with numerous photographs taken during the journey.
Andrés
I think this was a very good book. I think this because it's a book that does not have too much dialogue. It explains everything without too much talking. The characters are perfectly described
Susan
The most amazing true adventure ever? It’s positively mind-boggling what they endured, and an amazing testament to Shackleton’s leadership and dedication to his crew.
Lilylorraine
Hands down, best human adventure tale I've ever read. Non fiction. Man vs. Winter in Antarctic waters in teeny 20 ft wooden boats in 1914. Holy crap.
Leslie Roberts
The best Antarctic adventure, told in first-person, by the brave man who saved Shackleton and 26 others' lives.
Liza
An unbelievable journey. Read this if you read Endurance or if you like seafaring adventures.
Edmund
A great first person account of one of the most difficult small boat journeys ever undertaken.
Rob Williams
One of my favorite all time books. A true account of a treacherous journey of survival and heroism.
Cindy
Nice follow up to the others I've read.
Ryan
excellent adventure story.
karen
What an amazing adventure!
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • South with Endurance: Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition 1914-1917
  • The Heart of the Antarctic: The Farthest South Expedition 1907-1909
  • South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram', 1910-12
  • The Lost Men: The Harrowing Saga of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party
  • Scott's Last Expedition: The Journals
  • Shackleton
  • Mawson's Will: The Greatest Polar Survival Story Ever Written
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • Farthest North
  • PT 109
  • The Great Hurricane: 1938
  • The Ocean World (Abradale)
  • Admiral of the Ocean Sea: A Life of Christopher Columbus
  • The Loss of the Ship Essex, Sunk by a Whale
  • The Last Voyage of Columbus: Being the Epic Tale of the Great Captain's Fourth Expedition, Including Accounts of Mutiny, Shipwreck, and Discovery
  • The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk
  • The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake: 1577-1580
  • In the Land of White Death: An Epic Story of Survival in the Siberian Arctic
Endurance Under Sail In The Frozen North Rough Water: Stories of Survival from the Sea