Start by marking “Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer” as Want to Read:
Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer

Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  821 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Sir Ernest Shackleton has been called "the greatest leader that ever came on God's earth, bar none" for saving the lives of the twenty-seven men stranded with him in the Antarctic for almost two years. Today the public can't get enough of this once-forgotten explorer, and his actions have made him a model for great leadership and masterful crisis management. Now, through a ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Penguin Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shackleton's Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shackleton's Way

Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Shackleton's strategy is the antithesis of the old command-and-control models. His brand of leadership instead values flexibility, teamwork, and individual triumph. It brings back some of the gentlemanliness and decorum of the past, but without the hidden agenda of an exclusionary inner circle. It's business with a human face."

2- "SHACKLETON'S WAY OF DEVELOPING LEADERSHIP SKILLS: -Cultivate a sense of compassion and re
Christopher Litsinger
When someone who works for you recommends that you read a book on leadership, it's pretty much mandatory, I figure.
This is by far the most entertaining book on leadership that I've read; it reads more like a Jon Krakauer book than a business guide. I hadn't known much about Shackleton's Endurance expedition, and it's an inspiring story. I won't claim that "most entertaining" is the same as "best", but this was well worth the read.
The book is deftly assembled, mostly following the expedition in c
Vanessa Siemens
Shackleton was an amazing man and I appreciated how this book wove his personal accomplishments and leadership qualities with the biography of his life.
Jason
I was promoted to a leadership position with a new job I took 6 months ago. Leadership is something I've been studying for the past 3 years and I've been able to finally apply some of what I've been learning. This book is exactly what I needed. I read Shackleton's book years ago and was cognizant of his leadership qualities throughout the book. But it wasn't until reading this that I was able to grasp them in a tangible way. He was a pretty remarkable man, blending a firm mind with concrete goal ...more
Dennison Berwick
How can we become better leaders - even if our team consists only of one? This fascinating book and highly readable book explores the leadership and management style of famed Antarctic explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton, who brought 27 men home after two years marooned on the ice.

The book tells extraordinary Shackleton’s story and draws the lessons we can learn about hiring and creating camaraderie, leading in a crisis, forming teams for tough assignments, overcoming obstacles and leaving a legacy.
Michael Brady
Over the years history has come to regard Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton as an explorer of the first rate, eclipsing both Roald Amundson - who may have made polar exploration look too easy when he achieved the South Pole without incident in 1911, and Robert Falcon Scott - who for reasons only the British can explain, was celebrated for reaching the South Pole in 1912, a month after Amundson, and then dying of scurvy, privation, and exposure with his entire party on the return trip.

Shackleton made
Joshua Hernandez
This story is about a well known Antarctic Explorer named Ernest Shackleton. He was born in 1874 and died in 1922. He was well known for his leadership skills, being able to the life of the crew and always kept his shipmates happy. Many said Shackleton was the greatest leader that ever lived. He loved going on expeditions. The main expedition he always wanted to accomplish was to travel across the Antarctic and go to the South Pole.

As a child Shackleton he was second of the ten children and wa
Kara
The best thing about this book was the font in which it was printed. Versailles. It was beautiful and so airy and easy to read. But enough about that.

Shackleton's Way is about the famous Antarctic explorer at the beginning of the 20th century. He goes down in history as a great leader and is often referenced in leadership talks and seminars. This book acts as both a biography and a leadership book. It fails at both.

The book is set up like this: (1) leadership lessons as headings such as "Shackle
Brian
The book combines one part leadership guide and one part adventure biography! The authors did a great job of intermixing the two, building suspense during the narrative moments, then bringing the "lesson" in leadership themes back into focus.

A great Navy reading list selection that isn't very long--about 220 pages. Definitely able to read it and jot notes in the margins while on a long TDY or PCS trip! I kept a pencil handy throughout reading it so I could underline good passages and put stars
Louise Fisher
Feb 12, 2008 Louise Fisher rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any
Recommended to Louise by: my father
Awesome book for those who love a great story about endurance and admirable leadership qualities. This guy got all of his crew out of probably the biggest quandary I can think of. They were stranded at the South Pole for nearly two years and never lost hope about their chances of survival. Shackleton did the impossible by constantly supporting and guiding his men through a perilously long journey. They never made it to the South Pole but they lost their boat when it was crushed in the ice and ha ...more
Andrew
This biography is about Ernest Shackleton and his life, featuring stories about his many expeditions around the world, especially Antarctica. Shackleton was an excellent leader and was devoted to the safety of his crew. this book had some excellent leadership points, but it has no flow and only takes fragments of his story to correlate them to a different leadership lesson. This idea was good in theory but makes it extremely boring for the reader. Also, since the chapters are replaced with leade ...more
Elynn
This was an interesting combination of adventure story and leadership training with modern examples.

The book is written as almost a self-help book (though overall it is a narrative story telling) on leadership with Shackleton being the model of good leadership. If you are familiar with the Shackleton story, this is a great companion book. It deals more with the personal interaction of Shackleton and his men than overall events (it does give the basic sequence of events).

I would not recommend th
Sue Keay
An inspiring story about an amazing person who was a great leader. Everyone can learn from this book. Not only does it describe the amazing hardships faced by Shackleton and his crew, it details the way these were overcome and the significance of Shackleton's leadership in the survival of the crew. Almost makes me wish I was on that ill-fated expedition!
Jake
Oct 25, 2007 Jake rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aspiring to be a leader
The book was wonderful in showing great qualities of a leader. I would recommend it for anyone going into management. However, if you're reading this purely for the incredible story of Shackleton and survival...stop, read something else or watch either one of two excellent documentaries on video. The only thing that was a turn off and somewhat jovial was that I'm led to believe that the authors created a god and not a man! Oh, I'm not discounting Shackleton's unique and amazing skills of surviva ...more
Chuck Thomas
Shackleton's Way is an interesting read, blending historical narrative, biography, leadership lessons, and modern business practices. As a supervisor myself, I made note of various leadership traits of Shackleton and how I might be able to apply them in my daily responsibilities. The authors break the chapters up into the following areas of Shackleton's story and then how it's been applied in the modern business world:

-the path to leadership
-hiring an outstanding crew
-creating camaraderie
-gett
Tiffany
Really engaging story about what happened on the Endurance during their mission - I haven't heard of this before and have no idea why not! It's amazing stuff. Also helpful summary of key leadership lessons still relevant today. Would highly recommend this, quick paced read.
Ben
Summary: A great true life story of adventure at the turn of the 20th Century used to illustrate lessons of leadership in extreme situations.

Things I liked:

The story: I wasn't familiar with the Shackleton story and found it compelling.

Pictures: Some of the pictures in the book are well chosen and enhance the story.

Things I thought could be improved.

Management lessons: Just point lists of ideas that would have been enhanced by tighter integration with anecdotes from the main story.

Highlight
Carl Clarke
Fascinating to read an interpretation of natural leadership in the context of today's view of leadership. There aren't many like Shackleton around now
becky
although my husband is a huge shakleton fan i must admit i didn't know much about him until now but i'm rather impressed.

i think the book has too many ideas and could have focused more on just a few key traits because it makes you feel like you could never be the leader that shakleton was. then again, i never plan to lead any teams to the antarctic so situation is probably a big factor in his leadership impact.

overall, if i could put to use a few of the points made in the book i think it would
Sam Edelson
Sir Ernest Shackelton is one of the greatest leaders of all time, and this is an amazing tale with great lessons for life.
Jane
This is a well put together combination of adventure story following Shackleton's Endurance exhibition with leadership principles. As a small girl I had a small book about polar exploration and I remember it as being fascinating. I still get similar feelings when I read about the great Antarctic expeditions. The story is one I know reasonably well having listened to the audiobook of Shackleton's own account "South" but it works well being interspersed with what short passages highlighting his in ...more
Ellen
Aug 22, 2008 Ellen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like adventure stories and apparently people who want to succeed in the business world
Had to read this for a class on leadership. Well, I don't know that it had much to do with the class, but this is still an interesting, quick read about a dude who had big brass b*lls. Shackleton and his men were the original Apollo 13 crew so it's a good adventure story. However, this particular book tries to spin everything for a modern business crowd, so each chapter ends with "Shackleton's Business Tips" and a story about some person who claims Shack is responsible for their being rich. Hone ...more
Alexandros
Brilliant. Inspiration and valuable leadership lessons from the greatest Antarctic explorer.
Michael
Heard about this on a Shackleton site on Facebook and decided to give it a read. It highlights the leadership of Sir Ernest Shackleton, who was trying to cross the South Pole. His boat became icebound and the crew stayed there for a year...then they rowed about 1000 miles to an island...then Shackleton rows another 1000 miles or so to find a rescue party. The crew kept journals, and to a man, credited Shackleton's leadership ability as what got them out of there alive. I was reading it while in ...more
Bailey
Definitely enjoyed hearing the aspects of his travel and experiences with his men, more so than the leadership portions.
Shaun
This was an excellent book which described the adventure of Ernest Shackleton to Antarctica and compared his expedition and lessons learned with other great business leaders. It compared this failed original mission with the Apolo 13 mission. Both had an original goal which wasn not accomplished, but the goal changed and they had successful outcomes, despite the elements, stress and hardships they had to endure and overcome. An excellent read I highly recommend. Ernest Shackleton was an amazing ...more
Tamhack
The book gave a clearer picture of Shackleton's history, and his character. How his leadership skills can be applied to business and the work place. It was a very insightful book and there is much information that can be gleaned. I will try to apply some these leadership skills in any leadership position I am put in.

A very good quote from the book: "a leader is a dealer in hope."

Two important items from the book:
1. Discover what you have, who you are, and what your mission in life is.
2. Give se
Sameer
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I new about the Shackleton story from somewhere else. It is basically a captain of a ship who kept all his men alive even though they were stuck on Antartica for two years! Amazing story of leadership. This book is about leadership, but goes so much on the leadership you don't really get a sense of the story. My strongly suggest you read about Ernest Shackleton, but read his story on the web.
rachelle
Read for leadership class - again.
Jamie Ruppert
One of the very best leadership books I've ever read. The concepts of this book seem like common sense. Shackleton studied and understood people. It's a manual from history on how to be the kind of boss you wish you had.
  • Leadership: The Warrior's Art
  • Two Souls Indivisible: The Friendship That Saved Two POWs in Vietnam
  • On the Origins of War and the Preservation of Peace
  • South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the 'Fram', 1910-12
  • The Sand Pebbles
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
  • The New Leaders: Transforming The Art Of Leadership Into The Science Of Results
  • The Elephant and the Dragon: The Rise of India and China and What It Means for All of Us
  • Integrity
  • Victory at Yorktown: The Campaign That Won the Revolution
  • Race to the Pole: Tragedy, Heroism, and Scott's Antarctic Quest
  • The Seventh Angel
  • Leadership Without Easy Answers
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Shackleton's Boat Journey
  • Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times
  • Coaching For Performance: Growing People, Performance and Purpose
  • Leadership
Reagan's Journey: Lessons From a Remarkable Career A Man Named Dave (Dave Pelzer #3) Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage

“Shackleton faced many of the same problems encountered by managers today: bringing a diverse group together to work toward a common goal; handling the constant naysayer; bucking up the perpetual worrier; keeping the disgruntled from poisoning the atmosphere; battling boredom and fatigue; bringing order and success to a chaotic environment; working with limited resources.” 0 likes