Start by marking “The Feeling Good Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Feeling Good Handbook

The Feeling Good Handbook

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  3,135 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Make life an exhilarating experience!

With his phenomenally successful Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, Dr. David Burns introduced a groundbreaking, drug-free treatment for depression. Now in this long-awaited sequel, he reveals powerful new techniques and provides step-by-step exercises that help you cope with the full range of everyday problems.

* Free from fears, pho

Paperback, Revised edition, 729 pages
Published May 1st 1999 by Plume (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Feeling Good Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feeling Good Handbook

Blink by Malcolm GladwellOutliers by Malcolm GladwellFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittPredictably Irrational by Dan ArielyThe Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Greatest Psychology Books
100th out of 455 books — 513 voters
Darkness Visible by William StyronProzac Nation by Elizabeth WurtzelGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenThe Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathLes Pensees Dangereuses by Sharon E. Cathcart
Books About Depression
11th out of 46 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Yulia
Nov 07, 2012 Yulia marked it as to-read
Recommended to Yulia by: a family member
Shelves: non-fiction
I haven't read this yet, but was recently directed to a list included in this book on page 76 of distorted thoughts, or cognitive distortions, that people make:

1) All-or-nothing thinking: You look at things in absolute, black-and-white categories.
2) Over-generalization: You view a negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
3) mental filter: You dwell on the negatives and ignore the positives.
4) Discounting the positives: You insist that your positives don't "count."
5) Jumping to conclus
Tiko
This book changed my life. I am now able to recognize my mental patterns and decide if they're beneficial to me or not, and discard the unproductive, depressing, anxiety creating thoughts in favor of good thoughts or no thought at all. It's a workbook & the exercises must be done to get the full effect.

I recently bought this handbook again because I lost the first one and I realized I'm in need of its way of putting my thoughts on paper and weighing/sorting them out.

I recommend this book t
Char
hopefully, I can get through this very thick book, but I LOVE the premise, and heard about it from an Education Week talk on battling depression. The speaker was a 20 year or so experienced Psychiatrist who now works w/ LDS Social Services, and rarely uses medication more than very short term, and has seen TONS of non-relapse success with cognitive therapy--anyway, that's what this somewhat older, but still best-selling book is about--except in extreme cases, he gives lots of tools for controlli ...more
Heidi
I know, it looks so cheezy but it's REALLY GOOD not just for those suffering from anxiety, depression or another mood disorder but for pretty much all of us. Covers cognitive distortions (all or nothing thinking, negative fantasizing, etc) and how to deal with it. Truly life changing for me to read this, and I don't say that lightly. I suggest this book often to friends that are struggling with anxiety or depression but may not want to try medication or seeing a therapist. This book does NOT rep ...more
Mike
I am not ashamed of reading self-help books, or of liking them despite the fact that they do not possess the subtlety or nuance or pacing of the classics. "Show, don't tell" kind of disappears: you are being told more often than you are being shown in these sorts of reads about how to deal with feelings and emotions, which can be off-putting to like-minded fiction buffs, but I feel like my readings in fiction led me here. This is in part because I was seeking counseling in my fiction: counseling ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 27, 2013 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
Recommended to Jacqueline by: A dear friend, who is a Social Worker
SUCH a good book! I was given this by a friend who has shelves upon shelves of self help books, and I was very skeptical at first. To me, all self help books are just fluff, I mean can it be that easy to improve your life just from reading a book? YES! This book is pretty intimidating with its large size but it is absolutely chalk-full of amazing information and ways to deal with the everyday stresses of life. I will recommend this book to every person who wants to change their life for the bett ...more
Lisa
I don't know. So far, I'm not finding this very helpful. Say it's the depression talking if you will, but I feel like I should be on the waiting list for the Oprah show when I'm reading this. I'll finish it... but I have a "good feeling" that $20 I spent on it would have been better used somewhere else.

Stacy
This is a great book for people with anxiety disorder. Contains some worksheets as well as great tips for making it through panic attacks.
Marakabull
I am currently reading the book. I think that the book is really good and is very on point with different kind of issues. The book really tackles many issues that we face everyday.I think that the book is really helpful for figuring out what is bothering you and how to solve many problems such as depression and other different kinds of phobias. The book has taught me several things so far on how to express my feelings and how to get to the bottom of what ever is bothering you. I think that anybo ...more
Jyotika Varmani
This book is not an attempt to hard sell. It is a sincere, genuine effort to provide us with exercises that really work. This I can say from personal experience. David D. Burns is a champion of Cognitive Psychology, and he has reached out to the general population with the simplest way with this book. This book is simply a must read, and practice. It is a classic.
Marianne D. Wallace
Overwhelmed? Stressed? Feel like you're ready to slide into a dark abyss?

This is the book version of a cognitive behavioral therapy session with a psychiatrist. The examples, advice and exercises help you step back from your feelings, thoughts and behavior and take a clearer, more factual look at what's really going on in and around you.

It's a tome at just over 700 pages and covers topics such as Why People Procrastinate, Social Anxiety and Five Secrets of Intimate Communication, all divided int
Michelle
This is the newer edition of THE book that was used in the clinical trials comparing antidepressants to cognitive-behavioral therapy, in which, believe it or not, they were found equally effective. I wish I had learned about this book in medical school! Not only have I found it extremely helpful on a personal level, but I can't think of a single person I've ever met who shouldn't read this book. What a helpful way of untwisting all the horrible things we and our minds do to ourselves.
Heidi Lynn
Can't afford counselling? Well, they've actually studied this book and found it has clinical effectiveness very similar to a course of cognitive behavioural therapy. I found the bit about interpersonal communication especially helpful. Find the truth in complaints against you. Who knew?
Ruth
727 pages. Donated 2010 May.

Revised with up-to-date information on the most commonly prescribed psychiatric drugs, "The Feeling Good Handbook" has sold more than 500,000 copies in previous editions.

Somehow I expected more. The book seemed kind of patronizing.
Luc Reid
A friendly, step-by-step approach to applying Rational Emotive-Based Therapy (REBT) to your own life. Does a very good job of showing the connections between our thoughts and our emotions.
Kami
Aug 27, 2011 Kami marked it as to-read
Shelves: self-help
this one is so good for me that its hard to read, if you know what I mean.
samaneh
Sep 19, 2010 samaneh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every one who want to think better
Shelves: psycology
it is extraordinary amazing,usefull& essential.

ده روش برای سالم اندیشی:
1- خطاهای شناختی را بررسی کنید.
2- شواهد را بررسی کنید.
3- روش معیار دوگانه: همان تشویقی که از دوستانتان می کنید مشمول خود کنید. به خودتان اعتماد به نفس بدهید.
4- روش تجربی: آزمون کردن افکار
5- اندیشیدن در سایه های خاکستری: همه چیز صفر یا صد نیست.
6- روش بررسی: آیا دیگران هم همین نظر را دارند؟ انسان بودن هیچ اشکالی ندارد.
7- تعریف کردن واژه ها: به این توجه کنید که چه می توانید بکنید تا بیاموزید و رشد کنید و از آنچه هستید
Gina
Jul 31, 2012 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new adult mental health diagnosis
Recommended to Gina by: Health care provider
Alice-Anne
A great help to me! This book and his methods helped me see faulty patterns in my thinking that were making me feel anxious, stressed and depressed and then change them. It takes work...but very worth it.
Andrea
this book has changed my life for the best.

i have stopped ruminating and even the most emotionally charged events in my life have lost their bitterness. i am now more able to look about and see the lessons learned rather than look back and feel like i'm reliving an unbearable pain.

my cognitive therapist recommended this book and after working with him for a few months, i was able to make the most out of dr. burns insights on distortions and breaking the patterns of counterproductive thoughts/fe
Katie Lynn
Ridiculous title, but it comes highly recommended to me from a trusted source... and so, it begins.

Perhaps more than the average person wants to read; I suspect a lot of people skip sections about specific drugs, etc. I found it fascinating, though. I think this book triggered a lot of good insights and ideas.

"When two people respect each other, the ability to be vulnerable and to reveal hurt feelings can create a powerful emotional connection that is the source of real intimacy and friendship."
Cheri
Oct 19, 2008 Cheri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheri by: Dr. Michael Sheehan
The Feeling Good Handbook outlines cognitive errors that people make, and it is so helpful in cognitive therapy. It makes things clear and easy to understand. I also have The Feeling Good book... but I found that this handbook was much easier to follow along with, it had a better layout, and an easier format to continually refer back to. It says I read it 5 times, that wasnt' cover to cover, this book just is so handy to keep going back to.
Shelby
This is an excellent book, with a lot of valid and useful information. However, when one is in a serious depression this is an overwhelming book to be handed. Given out in small, manageable bits, it is worthwhile. I wish it were in workbook format, like his 10 Days to Self Esteem. That is a much more approachable book for someone who is severely depressed. I would suggest working through this wig a psychologist or counselor.
Shahna
This book changed my life during a very difficult time. It started my desire to go back to school and get a masters degree in this field so that I can share his message with others. It is my go-to book I recommend to people who struggle with a mood disorder or know someone who does but the dont want to rely on medicine. I am not against medicine, I just love the ideas behind behavioral therapy and know it works.
Amanda
I normally hate self-help books, and I approached this one with scepticism too. Somehow, though, it seemed different, more approachable, less judgemental. I don't know if it will help everybody, but I know that it helped me. Read it slowly, do the activities, read again as needed. It changed the way I think about my own emotions, and has enriched my communication with other people.
Karren
Sep 06, 2012 Karren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karren by: my therapist
This is a very thick workbook and not meant to be read cover to cover. I didn't do most of the written exercises, but it is a great cognitive therapy workbook! Highly recommend it if you want to work on communication / relationships or even just your own negative thinking and can't afford a therapist ;-) or perhaps combined with a therapist. Will be keeping it in my home library.
Kaylynn Johnsen
I've finally finished, it was long but enlightening. I did the exercises and tried to absorb all the tools and techniques. I went in with an open mind and found this book to be extremely helpful. I would suggest reading Part VI For Therapists (and Curious Patients) Only. I believe it has valuable insight in working with others, especially family members.
Julie
This is a great book to help anyone who struggles with moodiness, depression, anxiety, or just plain insecurity. It offers outstanding methods to solve problems yourself and methods in how to build positivity in your life. You don't even have to have severe problems, this book helps anyone who is even just having an out of sorts kind of day. Love it!
Jonathan Karmel
This is a great resource if you want to attempt to perform therapy on yourself. There are a lot of great insights to be gained here. For example, there may be things that you hate that you feel obligated to do, when in fact you are not obligated to do those things. In The Feeling Good Handbook¸ David Burns explains why you should stop “must”-erbating.

• The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • A New Guide to Rational Living
  • The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Six Pillars of Self-Esteem
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
David D. Burns is an adjunct professor emeritus in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Stanford University School of Medicine and the author of the best-selling book Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Burns popularized cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) when his book became a best seller during the 1980s.

Burns received his B.A. from Amherst College in 1964 and his M.D. fro
More about David D. Burns...
Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life Ten Days to Self-Esteem Feeling Good Together: The Secret to Making Troubled Relationships Work Intimate Connections

“The secret of successful treatment is not to become a perfect, shining star or to learn to be in complete control of your feelings. These strategies are doomed to failure. In contrast, when you accept yourself as an imperfect but eminently lovable human being, and you stop fighting your emotions so strenuously, your fear will often lose its grip over you.” 1 likes