Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Feeling Good Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Feeling Good Handbook
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Feeling Good Handbook

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  4,215 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Make life an exhilarating experience!

With his phenomenally successful Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, Dr. David Burns introduced a groundbreaking, drug-free treatment for depression. Now in this long-awaited sequel, he reveals powerful new techniques and provides step-by-step exercises that help you cope with the full range of everyday problems.

* Free from fears, pho

...more
Paperback, Revised edition, 729 pages
Published October 28th 1999 by Penguin (first published 1989)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Feeling Good Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feeling Good Handbook

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Yulia
Nov 07, 2012 Yulia marked it as to-read
Recommended to Yulia by: a family member
Shelves: non-fiction
I haven't read this yet, but was recently directed to a list included in this book on page 76 of distorted thoughts, or cognitive distortions, that people make:

1) All-or-nothing thinking: You look at things in absolute, black-and-white categories.
2) Over-generalization: You view a negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
3) mental filter: You dwell on the negatives and ignore the positives.
4) Discounting the positives: You insist that your positives don't "count."
5) Jumping to conclus
...more
abdolreza farsi
اگر از من بپرسید یک کتاب مناسب در زمینه شناخت درمانی که برای عموم مناسب باشد چیست کتاب از حال بد به حال خوب نوشته دکتر دیوید برنز با ترجمه مهدی قره چه داغی پیشنهاد من است.

کتاب در زمینه روانشناسی می باشد ؛ نویسنده معتقد است ریشه بسیاری از مشکلات افراد را باید در عدم شناخت کامل آنان از خود دانست.

شناخت درمانی مبتنی بر نظریه ساده ای است که می گوید به جای حوادث بیرونی افکار و طرز تلقی های شماست که روحیه ی شما را شکل می دهد.

یکی از اصول مهم شناخت درمانی قضیه ای به ظاهر مهمل است و آن اینکه نقطه ضعفهای ش
...more
Tiko
Jun 12, 2009 Tiko rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life. I am now able to recognize my mental patterns and decide if they're beneficial to me or not, and discard the unproductive, depressing, anxiety creating thoughts in favor of good thoughts or no thought at all. It's a workbook & the exercises must be done to get the full effect.

I recently bought this handbook again because I lost the first one and I realized I'm in need of its way of putting my thoughts on paper and weighing/sorting them out.

I recommend this book t
...more
Naele
محتوای قوی نداشت. اونجور که باید افسردگی رو به چالش نکشیده بود. مثل نوشته های زرد بود. فکر نمی کردم یه روانشناس انقد پیش پا افتاده بنویسه. از مسائل محدودی هم حرف زده بود. خوندنش توصیه نمی شه ازین که وقتم رو پاش گذاشتم عصبی و افسرده تر شدم.
Mike
Nov 16, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I am not ashamed of reading self-help books, or of liking them despite the fact that they do not possess the subtlety or nuance or pacing of the classics. "Show, don't tell" kind of disappears: you are being told more often than you are being shown in these sorts of reads about how to deal with feelings and emotions, which can be off-putting to like-minded fiction buffs, but I feel like my readings in fiction led me here. This is in part because I was seeking counseling in my fiction: counseling ...more
Char
Nov 11, 2009 Char rated it really liked it
hopefully, I can get through this very thick book, but I LOVE the premise, and heard about it from an Education Week talk on battling depression. The speaker was a 20 year or so experienced Psychiatrist who now works w/ LDS Social Services, and rarely uses medication more than very short term, and has seen TONS of non-relapse success with cognitive therapy--anyway, that's what this somewhat older, but still best-selling book is about--except in extreme cases, he gives lots of tools for ...more
Faezeh
Jul 23, 2014 Faezeh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خوندن این کتاب رو به همه توصیه می کنم . این کتاب به شما کمک می کنه خطاهایی که در شناختتون هست رو اصلاح کنین و انرژی روانیتون رو ذخیره کنید . از اونجایی که همه آدم ها از این خطاهای شناختی دارن و باعث می شه حالشون بد باشه پس همه می تونن برای رسیدن به حال خوب از این کتاب استفاده کنن . البته این کتاب جای تشخیص و درمان روانشناسی رو نمی گیره و اگه کسی مشکلات حادی داره باید به درمانگر مراجعه کنه .
Meagen
Jan 08, 2016 Meagen rated it did not like it
Do not read this book if you are severely depressed. This book has helped a lot of people -- people who are mildly or moderately depressed. For people who are severely or chronically depressed, not as much.

I bought the book after three years of clinical depression and then had the book for four more years of depression, and I only got a few chapters into it. In fact, it really stressed me out. I took it to my therapist's office several times with me feeling upset, brokenhearted, like a failure,
...more
Lisa
Dec 30, 2007 Lisa rated it did not like it
I don't know. So far, I'm not finding this very helpful. Say it's the depression talking if you will, but I feel like I should be on the waiting list for the Oprah show when I'm reading this. I'll finish it... but I have a "good feeling" that $20 I spent on it would have been better used somewhere else.

Stacy
Mar 09, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
This is a great book for people with anxiety disorder. Contains some worksheets as well as great tips for making it through panic attacks.
Marakabull
Nov 14, 2011 Marakabull rated it really liked it
I am currently reading the book. I think that the book is really good and is very on point with different kind of issues. The book really tackles many issues that we face everyday.I think that the book is really helpful for figuring out what is bothering you and how to solve many problems such as depression and other different kinds of phobias. The book has taught me several things so far on how to express my feelings and how to get to the bottom of what ever is bothering you. I think that ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 27, 2013 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
Recommended to Jacqueline by: A dear friend, who is a Social Worker
SUCH a good book! I was given this by a friend who has shelves upon shelves of self help books, and I was very skeptical at first. To me, all self help books are just fluff, I mean can it be that easy to improve your life just from reading a book? YES! This book is pretty intimidating with its large size but it is absolutely chalk-full of amazing information and ways to deal with the everyday stresses of life. I will recommend this book to every person who wants to change their life for the ...more
Marianne D. Wallace
Sep 15, 2010 Marianne D. Wallace rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, self-help
Overwhelmed? Stressed? Feel like you're ready to slide into a dark abyss?

This is the book version of a cognitive behavioral therapy session with a psychiatrist. The examples, advice and exercises help you step back from your feelings, thoughts and behavior and take a clearer, more factual look at what's really going on in and around you.

It's a tome at just over 700 pages and covers topics such as Why People Procrastinate, Social Anxiety and Five Secrets of Intimate Communication, all divided int
...more
Michelle
Sep 21, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is the newer edition of THE book that was used in the clinical trials comparing antidepressants to cognitive-behavioral therapy, in which, believe it or not, they were found equally effective. I wish I had learned about this book in medical school! Not only have I found it extremely helpful on a personal level, but I can't think of a single person I've ever met who shouldn't read this book. What a helpful way of untwisting all the horrible things we and our minds do to ourselves.
Jyotika Varmani
Sep 26, 2014 Jyotika Varmani rated it it was amazing
This book is not an attempt to hard sell. It is a sincere, genuine effort to provide us with exercises that really work. This I can say from personal experience. David D. Burns is a champion of Cognitive Psychology, and he has reached out to the general population with the simplest way with this book. This book is simply a must read, and practice. It is a classic.
Ruth
May 24, 2010 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
727 pages. Donated 2010 May.

Revised with up-to-date information on the most commonly prescribed psychiatric drugs, "The Feeling Good Handbook" has sold more than 500,000 copies in previous editions.

Somehow I expected more. The book seemed kind of patronizing.
Ali
Sep 21, 2009 Ali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
اين كتاب را فقط به خاط خاله ام خواندم فكر كنم 4 سال پيش بود
كلا از اين مدل كتابها خوشم نمياد. منظورم اين كتابهاي روانشناسي غير كلاسيكه
اين كتاب بد نبود براي اين كه نگرش فرويد در روانشناسي را درك كني
تا آنجا كه من متوجه شدم (البته ربطي به اين كتاب نداره) فرويد مهمه! همين
...more
Heidi Lynn
Jun 09, 2009 Heidi Lynn rated it it was amazing
Can't afford counselling? Well, they've actually studied this book and found it has clinical effectiveness very similar to a course of cognitive behavioural therapy. I found the bit about interpersonal communication especially helpful. Find the truth in complaints against you. Who knew?
Melissa
Feb 22, 2016 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Stupid book gave me anxiety about how to fix my anxiety. I gives you a guilt trip in the beginning about not taking the exercises seriously enough. I got rid of it.
Luc Reid
A friendly, step-by-step approach to applying Rational Emotive-Based Therapy (REBT) to your own life. Does a very good job of showing the connections between our thoughts and our emotions.
Kami
Aug 27, 2011 Kami marked it as to-read
Shelves: self-help
this one is so good for me that its hard to read, if you know what I mean.
Kristen
Nov 15, 2016 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful. I hate how long it took me to actually get in the right mindset to read this book properly.. aka actually motivated enough to do the assignments. But once I was finally in the mindset to change this book provided a lot of really useful insight and has given me multiple coping options as well as ways to understand myself better. Highly HIGHLY suggested for anyone who seriously wants help to turn their life around.
Shannon
Nov 15, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anxiety/depression patients, perfectionists, procrastinators
This is an excellent practical companion book to Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (also by Dr. Burns). Check out my review on Feeling Good here - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....
Andrea Norton
On October 14th, 2015, unknown to me, I started to fall into a really deep depression. I didn't realize it at the time and have since traced it back to that date. I went through fall not knowing what was happening - for the first time in my life, I was having anxiety attacks, panicking over everything and falling into a dark hole. I finally crashed so hard on December 22nd that I spent ten hours talking to my parents and husband about what I was feeling, alternating between happy, screaming, ...more
samaneh
Sep 19, 2010 samaneh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every one who want to think better
Shelves: psycology
it is extraordinary amazing,usefull& essential.

ده روش برای سالم اندیشی:
1- خطاهای شناختی را بررسی کنید.
2- شواهد را بررسی کنید.
3- روش معیار دوگانه: همان تشویقی که از دوستانتان می کنید مشمول خود کنید. به خودتان اعتماد به نفس بدهید.
4- روش تجربی: آزمون کردن افکار
5- اندیشیدن در سایه های خاکستری: همه چیز صفر یا صد نیست.
6- روش بررسی: آیا دیگران هم همین نظر را دارند؟ انسان بودن هیچ اشکالی ندارد.
7- تعریف کردن واژه ها: به این توجه کنید که چه می توانید بکنید تا بیاموزید و رشد کنید و از آنچه هستید
...more
pd
May 14, 2014 pd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My fucked-up friends
Recommended to pd by: My Psychiatrist
از آدم «اصطلاحا» نرمالی که با احساسهای بدی از جمله ناراحتی و خجالت و ترس و اضطراب و حس تحقیر و خشم و ... مواجهه، تا افرادی که تشخیصهای جدی روانپزشکی دارن و دارو مصرف میکنن و حتی سابقهی بستری شدن دارن، هر کسی که اون مرکزیت نسبی فکرشو از دست نداده و قوهی درکش سرجاشه، میتونه از این کتاب «در عمل» بهره ببره.
موضوع، ممنوع دونستن حس بد نیست. هدف، تقویت هوشیاری و توانایی رصد افکار اتوماتیک و احساساتیه که به دنبالشون میاد. اینکه احساساتمون، نامتناسب با وقایع نباشن.
حتی مجموعه نظریاتش رو علاوه بر درگیریها
...more
Gina
Jul 31, 2012 Gina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new adult mental health diagnosis
Recommended to Gina by: Health care provider
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Jace
May 24, 2015 Jace rated it it was amazing
This book has probably had the most significant impact on my life of any book I can recall reading. It's what you make of it I suppose. Hits you with the basics of positive psychological manipulation, analysis and breakdown of your own thoughts, cognitive distortions, practical life philosophies, etc. I remember becoming very irritated and dismissive of the book when I began reading it, but by the end and through the application of it's ideas it set me on a life changing path that will likely ...more
Katie Lynn
Jun 25, 2012 Katie Lynn rated it it was amazing
Ridiculous title, but it comes highly recommended to me from a trusted source... and so, it begins.

Perhaps more than the average person wants to read; I suspect a lot of people skip sections about specific drugs, etc. I found it fascinating, though. I think this book triggered a lot of good insights and ideas.

"When two people respect each other, the ability to be vulnerable and to reveal hurt feelings can create a powerful emotional connection that is the source of real intimacy and friendship."
Andrea
Nov 14, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
this book has changed my life for the best.

i have stopped ruminating and even the most emotionally charged events in my life have lost their bitterness. i am now more able to look about and see the lessons learned rather than look back and feel like i'm reliving an unbearable pain.

my cognitive therapist recommended this book and after working with him for a few months, i was able to make the most out of dr. burns insights on distortions and breaking the patterns of counterproductive thoughts/fe
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • A New Guide to Rational Living
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • Cognitive Therapy of Depression
  • The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • The Five Things We Cannot Change: And the Happiness We Find by Embracing Them
  • The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
  • Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing the Way You Think
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
1498
David D. Burns is an adjunct professor emeritus in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at the Stanford University School of Medicine and the author of the best-selling book Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. Burns popularized cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) when his book became a best seller during the 1980s.

Burns received his B.A. from Amherst College in 1964 and his M.D. fro
...more
More about David D. Burns...

Share This Book



“The secret of successful treatment is not to become a perfect, shining star or to learn to be in complete control of your feelings. These strategies are doomed to failure. In contrast, when you accept yourself as an imperfect but eminently lovable human being, and you stop fighting your emotions so strenuously, your fear will often lose its grip over you.” 4 likes
More quotes…